Alcoves - what would you do and advice?

missminnie

I am also in the 'get rid of 'em' club

Celebrity's introduction of the lawn was a wonderful design addition, but the alcoves make the lawn appear (although it is not) a private area for alcove users

I have previously found a sunny area by an empty alcove and set my towel down. A short while afterwards a guest turned up and suggested it was his area because it was by his alcove

I was sympathetic to his predicament, but it was not my concern. I have paid for the use of the lawn, just as every other guest has

I saw him talk to a pool attendant (presumably asking if this was right) before scurrying off

I went to lunch before he returned. If he returned

Oh, and I am also in a very small number that never leaves a towel on a bed if I am not using it. Including going to lunch, back to the room etc. for more than 15 minutes

We were on the Reflection TA in Nov. The weather was beautiful. The days were sunny the whole way across and the temps mid 80s.

The alcoves were never used except for1 for 1 day. I, too, can't understand why they made them without a sea view. They did not look very comfortable. On windy days, the left the tops down...not much privacy there.

If you are looking for a more secluded and quiet area, why not go up to the Solstice Deck.

Edited by dmk

for all of the alcove nay Sayers, which way do all of the deck chairs around the pool face? The pool not the ocean. If folks want to rid themselves of the pool chair battle, the alcoves are an alternative.

NC,

I don't think you have been on an S-class ship? Many of the upper deck chairs do, in fact, face out to sea. The Alcoves are up on one of these upper decks, no where near the pool areas.

We spent 21 days on the Silhouette and the only way to the main lawn area was to sneak through the Lawn Grill Restaurant. The Alcoves had the entire area roped off, even though we saw only a couple of people using them.

It is not the best use of space and I don't think Celebrity is making much money from this experiment? They need to be removed so everyone can enjoy the lawn area. (IMHO)

Enjoy!

Kel:)

Doing it right would be so easy. Here's a land-based alcove that we enjoyed with a front view overlooking a terrace that worked its way down to a pool and a back view overlooking the ocean. With the openings front and rear, they were much more appealing than those on the Reflection.

abt8j5.jpg

2cr4zt2.jpg

24471qp.jpgs0x44m.jpg

for all of the alcove nay Sayers, which way do all of the deck chairs around the pool face? The pool not the ocean. If folks want to rid themselves of the pool chair battle, the alcoves are an alternative.

Last week on Silhouette the chairs faced the pool, the ocean, the buffet, and/or the Aqua Spa. You can place the in any direction you wished, but they were always set up to be facing in various directions.

Also, I there were ZERO chair battles last week. Numerous chairs were filled, but numerous chairs were also empty. I never had any problem finding one where I wanted to be. No matter what time of the day I went to get one.

Last week on Silhouette the chairs faced the pool, the ocean, the buffet, and/or the Aqua Spa. You can place the in any direction you wished, but they were always set up to be facing in various directions.

Also, I there were ZERO chair battles last week. Numerous chairs were filled, but numerous chairs were also empty. I never had any problem finding one where I wanted to be. No matter what time of the day I went to get one.

I speak from experience, and truly enjoy the alcove. Per some comments about the seating looking uncomfortable, trust me they are wrong. The seating is great and very comfortable. I have a bad back, and when I use the loungers by the pool, find them very uncomfortable. I have to put a pillow on the lower back of the chair with a towel on top of it. I do agree it is nice to see the water and too bad they do not have hot tubs on the same deck.

I would "assume" the reason that the alcoves work on the deck the are on is that they are close to the Sunset Bar , rest rooms and the Porch.

Again, too each his own. Just my opinion.

I'd love the Alcove if it faced the ocean. I can sit on my deck at home & look at grass. Guess I just can't see the appeal.

1. Guaranteed space to lounge outside, with no worries of "will I be able to find a chair?"

2. Quieter, less crowded atmosphere for outdoor space that the crowded pool deck

3. Much better seating arrangement for a group of 4... nearly impossible to have a conversation in a group of 4 people (we usually share out alcove iwht another couple) when you're in deck chairs lined up 4 in a row

4. Ability to have either sun or shade, without having to move to the other side of the pool deck, or to a different part of the ship when the direction of the sun changes

5. No worries of being considered a chair hog if you leave for a while to eat lunch or do something else

Hi All

We're sailing on Reflection in Apr for the Transatlantic for 16 nights. We would like an alcove as never been on a ship with these before and look like something different but also somewhere quiet and relaxing to go.

We were considering booking just one of the sea days then decided perhaps 3 of the sea days. But was advised if we book the whole cruise we get a discount which would mean we'd get around 4 of the port days for free.

We have 8 sea days plus 7 port days. Now we plan to get off ship at every port and will prob be off all day so really wouldn't get much use of them on those days until we get back on ship then it's time for dinner etc.

But if we like them after the first sea day we'll prob want it for the remaining 8 sea days which is near enough the same cost as booking for the whole cruise with discount.

As we'll be on a TA then the weather will get cooler as we go across so could make good use out of them on the 7 sea days before our first port.

Has anyone else booked them for the entire cruise and what did you think or should we just go for a few of the sea days?

Thanks

We sailed on Reflection last month and I wasn't tempted by the alcoves at all. On port days you'll likely have your run of the ship. On sea days the weather would determine if the alcoves made sense. That would seem more iffy on a TA?

We stumbled across a wonderful, cozy and extraordinarily comfy spot in the Solarium on a windy, off & on rainy day. Next to the hot tubs were cabana style seats for two. The cushions were excellent. We could easily turn them outward to watch the sea, which was quite private, or inward to look at the fountain and waterfall in the solarium. With the Solarium's quiet music and proximity to the Aqua Spa Cafe, it felt perfect.

And we were surprised to find them little used. We went back several times and always found them available. You cannot reserve them, but we enjoyed them.

Just a thought. :)

I like to sit on the deck above the pool where I can see th ocean.

1. Guaranteed space to lounge outside, with no worries of "will I be able to find a chair?"

2. Quieter, less crowded atmosphere for outdoor space that the crowded pool deck

3. Much better seating arrangement for a group of 4... nearly impossible to have a conversation in a group of 4 people (we usually share out alcove iwht another couple) when you're in deck chairs lined up 4 in a row

4. Ability to have either sun or shade, without having to move to the other side of the pool deck, or to a different part of the ship when the direction of the sun changes

5. No worries of being considered a chair hog if you leave for a while to eat lunch or do something else

All good reasons to book a cabin with a big balcony! :)

On any cruise ship we much prefer the view of the ocean to the view of either a lawn or a swimming pool, which we can get at home without going on a cruise. ;)

On any cruise ship we much prefer the view of the ocean to the view of either a lawn or a swimming pool, which we can get at home without going on a cruise. ;)

The last day of our cruise 2 weeks ago it was windy & cool on the deck. Few were out there at all & we decided it was going to he an inside day. Then we happily discovered our regular port balcony had the afternoon sun & we were shielded from the wind. Turned out to be a perfect alcove for the afternoon.

So yeah - I'm with you.

Sent using the Cruise Critic forums app

What I enjoy most about the Alcove concept is SHADE. I like to be outside but I become a crispy critter very quickly. However, the placement of the Alcoves (facing inward instead of out at the sea) is what keeps me from renting one. I wish they had an alcove like option near to the pool so I can swim, then have somewhere to chill near by that's covered and then swim some more.

Instead, I spend all of my pool time in the Solarium.

Question about etiquette though - I will often swim for an hour or more at a time. I typically leave my towel and odds and ends on my chair. I get out, lay for a bit, read, then hop back in for a swim. I don't think there's anything wrong with this.

Hi All

We're sailing on Reflection in Apr for the Transatlantic for 16 nights. We would like an alcove as never been on a ship with these before and look like something different but also somewhere quiet and relaxing to go.

We were considering booking just one of the sea days then decided perhaps 3 of the sea days. But was advised if we book the whole cruise we get a discount which would mean we'd get around 4 of the port days for free.

We have 8 sea days plus 7 port days. Now we plan to get off ship at every port and will prob be off all day so really wouldn't get much use of them on those days until we get back on ship then it's time for dinner etc.

But if we like them after the first sea day we'll prob want it for the remaining 8 sea days which is near enough the same cost as booking for the whole cruise with discount.

As we'll be on a TA then the weather will get cooler as we go across so could make good use out of them on the 7 sea days before our first port.

Has anyone else booked them for the entire cruise and what did you think or should we just go for a few of the sea days?

Thanks

I would not do the whole cruise , lots of cool/cold days that you will not use it.

Ok, let's see...

Yes, with a balcony I have my own guaranteed space, and I can leave my stuff there as long as I want, and it is certainly quiet and not crowded.

HOWEVER, I don't see any cabin category that has padded, conversational seating for 4 on the balcony. The larger suites have a table with 4 chairs, but that's not really comparable. And with a balcony, I don't get to choose whether the canopy is up or down; whether I have sun or shade is 100% dependent on the direction of the ship vs. the sun at any given time.

Furthermore, while I like the relative (compared to the pool deck) quiet of an alcove, I don't care for the complete isolation that would come with spending the whole day on my balcony. I like to people watch, and just enjoy being out in the open areas of the ship. I also have beverage service in the alcove, which I do not have on my balcony, and if we are sharing the alcove with friends, as we generally do, any one of the 4 of us can come or go as we please throughout the day, independently of each other. If we are using my balcony as "our spot,' my friends can't get in to use it if we happen to be at breakfast or the fitness center when they show up.

So yeah, for me, an alcove is still preferable to simply "a big balcony." :)

To me the only drawback of the Alcove is that it doesn't face the ocean. I love having a balcony, but sitting in the cabin is too isolating for me. I cannot and will not sit in the sun for any length of time so this would be perfect for me. I can certainly see renting one for a day or so although I probably wouldn't rent one for an entire cruise. If someone wants to stare at me, then I guess I'll be stared at. And it's not showing off...good grief, it's just a choice that's no different than a cabin choice, specialty dinner choice, drinks choice, heck, even cruise line choice. ;)

If someone wants to stare at me, then I guess I'll be stared at. And it's not showing off...good grief, it's just a choice that's no different than a cabin choice, specialty dinner choice, drinks choice, heck, even cruise line choice. ;)

Same here, LOL. We have an alcove rented for the 3 sea days plus 1 port day on our upcoming Reflection cruise. Having had alcoves before, I am well aware that they are not 100% private and that's fine. Having said that, I don't recall ever having been stared at. The canopy comes up from the back, so those walking around the walkway behind us can't really see into the canopies all that well, and we certainly never noticed anyone stopping to crane their neck to see in and stare. If they did and we missed it, so be it, LOL. And no one out on the lawn area every stopped and stared at us from the front, either.