Would a Roll Call influence your booking?

babs135

Roll Calls can be fun ... but we book what we book and don't really care about the comments on the roll calls.

Those on the roll calls are actually a very small percent of those who will actually be sailing with you. :)

LuLu

~~~

No - unless I determined that most of the cruise passengers were from some VERY LARGE ( over 40% and up of the ship) group .

I join in roll calls but rarely if ever go to any of the scheduled gatherings. I register for the meet and mingle to help make sure the group gets to the minimum registered limit.

The rolls calls are a terrific feature for a European cruises, to help arrange private/semi private tours.

M

I agree We almost booked a cruise but checked roll call board first and right away could tell was odd. Very busy boards and many seem to know each other. was talk about private shows and last years cruise, Turned out was a big drag Queen group. Quite often parts of the boat would be limited for the group even a dining room one night. Was so glad read the boards before booking!

In the early stages of booking a cruise but haven't decided dates or cruiseline! I've been eavesdropping on the rollcalls for the 3 dates I'm looking at and one is very active and the other 2 almost non-existant.

So, my question is would an active rollcall make any difference to your choice of cruise?

I should point out that I'm not particularly a 'joiner-in' as in cabin crawls, games, etc, but have found rollcalls useful for shore excursions.

The way I interpreted the poster's question is that they are interested in shared private tours and yes, an active roll call CAN make a difference in that respect. I travel solo often and have tried occasionally to set up private tours on slow roll calls -- it can be difficult. One does not want to pay 500 euro for a private tour for one too often!

You can easily research shore excursions on the port of call board and ask others to join to defray costs. But, I would never let a slow roll call stop me from booking a cruise.

Jonathan

I think the statement above is a little misleading. You can research the short excursions on the port of call boards, but the ONLY place you are allowed to recruit others is on your roll call.

Again, if the roll call is slow, it can make private tours very difficult to arrange.

Edited by cruisemom42

... You can research the short excursions on the port of call boards, but the ONLY place you are allowed to recruit others is on your roll call.

Again, if the roll call is slow, it can make private tours very difficult to arrange.

That is completely untrue. It might be the EASIEST place to recruit people, but do you honestly think the individual cruise lines have rules that state "If you want to recruit others to participate in your private shore excursion, you must register at Cruise Critic website and join your roll call?"

That is completely untrue. It might be the EASIEST place to recruit people, but do you honestly think the individual cruise lines have rules that state "If you want to recruit others to participate in your private shore excursion, you must register at Cruise Critic website and join your roll call?"

Sorry, I meant it is the only place on THIS website. I don't use any others, so I have no idea where else I would go to look for others.

I'm certainly not about to wait until I get onboard the ship to find out if I'm going to be on the hook for such a large amount if no one else joins.

Sorry, I meant it is the only place on THIS website. I don't use any others, so I have no idea where else I would go to look for others.

I'm certainly not about to wait until I get onboard the ship to find out if I'm going to be on the hook for such a large amount if no one else joins.

Understand and agree.

I found roll calls on shorter cruises to be not reliable, events not well attended and not worth while. On the other hand, it was wonderful "traveling" with friends I had been talking to when we did a TA and many of us stayed at the same hotel precruise and had wonderful breakfasts and spontaneous happy hours in the lobby. Some wonderful folks arranged tours that were so much better than what the ship offered.

Not at all! Even if a roll call devolved into something angry or petty (someone previously asked a question like that), it wouldn't affect my choice.......Roll calls represent a small percentage of the people on board. As for shore excursions, I'm no more likely to book a shore excursion with a stranger I meet on the internet than I am with a stranger I meet on shore -- but in fact, I'm unlikely to book a shore excursion at all.

I was thinking about the other thread too. Ever since joining this site and some others for cruisers, I've read a couple of times about people wanted to cancel a cruise because someone they've encounter before had booked too.

I've only been on three cruises since getting involved with forums, so I read up on the roll calls for those cruises (I've actually started one of them), but I wouldn't worry about who's on the cruise (unless it's one of these large groups that take over desired venues) as most passengers wouldn't be on CC, much less have heard about it.

I wouldn't use a roll call to figure out what to do in port. But that's me.

No - unless I determined that most of the cruise passengers were from some VERY LARGE ( over 40% and up of the ship) group .

I join in roll calls but rarely if ever go to any of the scheduled gatherings. I register for the meet and mingle to help make sure the group gets to the minimum registered limit.

The rolls calls are a terrific feature for a European cruises, to help arrange private/semi private tours.

M

It helps to get ideas about ports, and we have arranged trips with contacts developed on roll calls. But I agree - if I were to learn that an overwhelming affinity group was sailing - and specially if they talked about a lot of shipboard activities, I would think carefully: large groups sometimes take over a number of ordinarily available public spaces - other things being equal, I would rebook on another ship rather than sail with such a large group.

In the early stages of booking a cruise but haven't decided dates or cruiseline! I've been eavesdropping on the rollcalls for the 3 dates I'm looking at and one is very active and the other 2 almost non-existant.

So, my question is would an active rollcall make any difference to your choice of cruise?

I should point out that I'm not particularly a 'joiner-in' as in cabin crawls, games, etc, but have found rollcalls useful for shore excursions.

I haven't been to a Meet & Greet on a ship since 2009. Thus I don't even bother reading Roll Calls.

We also are not interested in cabin crawls, games, gift exchanges, etc.

So I would never select a cruise based on how popular the Roll Call is.

A roll call (active or inactive) would never stop me from booking a cruise.

I have however refrained from joining the roll call based on the vibe. I've also been on the roll call and decided to skip the Meet and Greet based on the comments and attitude of a few of the posters.

I've met some great people on the roll calls and still keep in touch with a few. Ultimately though, I'm on vacation and want to maximize my enjoyment and sometimes the meet and greet can do that and other times going to the meet and greet seems like more work than it's worth.

A M&G? Usually held early in the cruise for folks who just want to get to meet others of the same mind set about the trip. Some who want to meet new folks, those interested in a gift exchange, those interested in a slot pull or a cabin crawl, etc, etc.

No obligation. No problems. Just a get together for a little fun time at the start of their vacation.

No need to participate. It's your vacation. Be there or not. Nobody will care.

Odds are, you won't remember most of the folks anyway and those that you do and run into each other while onboard will more than likely be a smile, (if they remember you) a wave or a how do you do, and you all go on your own way. No big deal.

I guess I just don't understand why this might be a great ordeal. :confused:

We do not always participate in roll calls or meet and greats but will if it is a good group. I enjoy meeting folks onboard.

If I cruised as as a single I think it would be important to me.

I get weary of roll calls that seem to get so far off the mark from planning or cruise related conversations that I no longer want to click on the link. I have been on four this way. Don't get me wrong, there is a getting to know people conversation that is enjoyable, but multiple pages of posts not getting to the subject bugs me.

On the other hand, I have many fond memories of former roll calls and made lifelong friends on them.