Canadian visa required for 7-hr visit at Victoria?

NNpra

**Correction - Actually it stops there for only 4.30 hr! 7.30-11.59PM **

Hi all,

I am a first-time cruiser who is a citizen of Thailand. I am planning my trip and have booked for a Carnival cruise that starts and ends at Seattle to avoid complication of traveling across the border (there was Vancouver->Seattle trip that was much cheaper). I have a multiple-entry B1/B2 visa to the US and am very familiar with traveling in the US.

Unfortunately, looking in the itinerary closely again, I found that the ship will stop at Victoria for a few hours. Does this mean I have to get a Canadian visa? Can I opt to stay on the ship? Or they won't let me get on board in the first place?

If visa is really needed, it would be quite frustrating to pay for a visa fee to visit for only a few hours + given the fact that I have no interest in going back there (well maybe, if I am quite wealthy in the future!). Plus, it would be certainly quite frustrating because I avoid getting (and paying for) a Canadian visa even though the chosen trip has higher cost.

Thanks very much for any suggestion.

Edited by NNpra

It would be best to contact the Canadian consulate or Embassy in Thailand for the correct information

Be sure to mention you are on a port stop from a cruise it may or may not change your requirements

http://canada.visahq.com/embassy/thailand

This is the only answer that counts. NO ONE can tell you what you need other then the governments involved for your particular case. Thailand, Canada and USA.

This is the only answer that counts. NO ONE can tell you what you need other then the governments involved for your particular case. Thailand, Canada and USA.

yes the OP should contact the proper authorities

Edited by LHT28

**Correction - Actually it stops there for only 4.30 hr! 7.30-11.59PM **

Hi all,

I am a first-time cruiser who is a citizen of Thailand. I am planning my trip and have booked for a Carnival cruise that starts and ends at Seattle to avoid complication of traveling across the border (there was Vancouver->Seattle trip that was much cheaper). I have a multiple-entry B1/B2 visa to the US and am very familiar with traveling in the US.

Unfortunately, looking in the itinerary closely again, I found that the ship will stop at Victoria for a few hours. Does this mean I have to get a Canadian visa? Can I opt to stay on the ship? Or they won't let me get on board in the first place?

If visa is really needed, it would be quite frustrating to pay for a visa fee to visit for only a few hours + given the fact that I have no interest in going back there (well maybe, if I am quite wealthy in the future!). Plus, it would be certainly quite frustrating because I avoid getting (and paying for) a Canadian visa even though the chosen trip has higher cost.

Thanks very much for any suggestion.

According to the official Canadian government web site, Visit Canada, citizens of Thailand do need a visa. There are certain visa waiver exemptions but you will need to read the regulations carefully or risk being denied boarding. Click here.

It makes no difference whether you will stay on board or go ashore. You will be "in" Canada the moment the ship enters their territorial waters.

As has been stated before.....get a visa!!

Even if you claim that you won't be getting off the ship, you will still be "in" Canada and that is all that matters.

If you don't have the visa, you WILL NOT get on the ship....and you will NOT get a refund!!

p.s. Did I say to get the visa????

According to the official Canadian government web site, Visit Canada, citizens of Thailand do need a visa. There are certain visa waiver exemptions but you will need to read the regulations carefully or risk being denied boarding. Click here.

It makes no difference whether you will stay on board or go ashore. You will be "in" Canada the moment the ship enters their territorial waters.

Don't forget to include US where she lives and a special visa already. Visas are VERY specific about what you can and can not do. Giving a link that may be incorrect on have missing info for anyone is not helpful.

Not everyone who has a US visa can leave the country without invalidating their visa. Some are one time re-entries some are multiple and some don't have restrictions. Then you've got the restrictions from the country being visited and how they deal with that particular visa. She might get her one day visit to Canada and lose her right to re-enter the US again Immigration laws are complicated and individual. So please people, if you don't have first hand knowledge do not give this person any advise except to contact the government agencies involved. Links are too general.

• 1 year later...

Sawaddee krup .... did you take that cruise? I had the same issue. We have 45 days before taking a Cruise from Seattle and return to Seattle, stop at Skagway (Alaska) may take a tour crossing Canadian Boarder and Victoria.

Did you get the VISA?

-ac

Sawaddee krup .... did you take that cruise? I had the same issue. We have 45 days before taking a Cruise from Seattle and return to Seattle, stop at Skagway (Alaska) may take a tour crossing Canadian Boarder and Victoria.

Did you get the VISA?

-ac

beffue, do you have a US green card? I see you list CA as your residence, and if you have a green card, the Canadian visa requirements are different for you than for a Thai citizen residing in Thailand.

Did you get the VISA?

-ac

Bottom line is that if you must have proper documentation to allow you entry into Canada or they won't let you onto that tour. It doesn't matter that it's only "for a few hours".