Say Goodbye to Statendam! (link to sale ad provided)

InTheWASide

We're booked on Maasdam for next January. They would sell a ship when it's booking cruises for 2015? :confused:
Sure. The delivery could be scheduled for 2016, or they could cancel bookings just like when a ship is chartered after some bookings have been made.

Selling off the older, smaller ships most likely makes good business sense for HAL.

Clearly HAL has no intention of spending the large amounts of money necessary to renew the engineering infrastructure on these vessels or take them out of service for the time required to do that. Veendam is proof of that.

Couple this with the economic realities of operating this size of ship in HAL's mass market environment and the decision the to unload them seems logical.

The real challenge will be to operate them in the period prior to a sale all the while pumping as little money as possible into capital improvements or on going maintenance.

Stakeout - who gave you this info about the Statendam and Maasdam having been sold? I find it interesting that no one else has asked for verification of this info. There have been so many rumors. If someone has actual verification, let's hear it.

The Statendam is scheduled to do the 14 Day cruise to Alaska in 2015. So even if she were sold tomorrow she would not go off line until after the 2015 Alaska Season.

The Statendam is scheduled to do the 14 Day cruise to Alaska in 2015. So even if she were sold tomorrow she would not go off line until after the 2015 Alaska Season.

I disagree; if a keen buyer makes a good offer and their terms of delivery are before those itineraries are sailed, those itineraries will be canceled.

Stakeout - who gave you this info about the Statendam and Maasdam having been sold? I find it interesting that no one else has asked for verification of this info. There have been so many rumors. If someone has actual verification, let's hear it.

sorry.. no names

Exactly. No different from a charter opportunity.

HAL, and any other cruise line, will continue to sell cruise dates until such time as the sale is made and a certain amount of monies changed hands or in trust to ensure completion.

Once the sale is definite, future cruises will be cancelled-just as they are when a ship is chartered.

Edited by iancal

Dear "Copper"

the Ms Ryndam was for us "the first one" -> our very first cruise vessel where we did celebrate our 20. wedding anniversary (16 days ago was our 37th) – and we did like HAL immediately.

And one of your mention is indeed a tentative future owner – its Phoenix Reisen in Germany

For those who can read German .…;)

http://www.kreuzfahrten-treff.de/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=11357

.… on April 6 at 21:46 (9.46 PM) posted by one of its forum administrator 'Raoul Fiebig'

-> and apart from a 'Statendam class vessel' mentioned by him, they also talk about the Prinsendam as a possible next acquire for Phoenix ?!?

Happy cruising

G E R D

For what it's worth, I would like to clarify what I've written at Kreuzfahrten-Treff.de, Gerd.

Phoenix Reisen has been very interested in "Prinsendam" for years, that's a fact. However, the price asked for her has been too high for them, so far.

As for the "Statendam"-class vessels, all I said was that - based on rumors risen in a German cruise web site about a possible addition to the Phoenix Reisen fleet - in my opinion, "Statendam" or one of her sisters would be one of a very low number of vessels I could imagine to be of interest to Phoenix Reisen because of the these vessels' size, passenger capacity, style and general characteristics. This was speculation on my behalf, not more, not less. ;)

For what it's worth, I would like to clarify what I've written at Kreuzfahrten-Treff.de, Gerd.

Phoenix Reisen has been very interested in "Prinsendam" for years, that's a fact. However, the price asked for her has been too high for them, so far.

As for the "Statendam"-class vessels, all I said was that - based on rumors risen in a German cruise web site about a possible addition to the Phoenix Reisen fleet - in my opinion, "Statendam" or one of her sisters would be one of a very low number of vessels I could imagine to be of interest to Phoenix Reisen because of the these vessels' size, passenger capacity, style and general characteristics. This was speculation on my behalf, not more, not less. ;)

Totally agree. All this is, is pure speculation at this point. We know that the Statendam is up for sale or maybe her sister ship Maasdam. The year/size is right for either one of them in the advertisement.

Hello "Ruderhus"

keep cool Raoul – I did not say that your statement is mandatory, I just add some information about a tentative change of owner – mentioned in another forum….

Why you are so 'Dünnhäutig' / 'thin-skinned' ?

Happy cruising

G E R D

Gerd, I'm afraid you're putting much more into my statement than what I actually meant to say. ;)

I'm far from being "thin-skinned" and my statement was by no means intended to correct you or to express discontentment in regards to your posting.

I simply wanted to write in English (!) what the intention of my posting over at Kreuzfahrten-Treff.de was. I thought this would be better than having CC users use Google Translator & Co. to try to understand what I said. :)

I was talking with an officer on Maasdam during my cruise and he said there are a million rumors going around right now but as of right now they are planning on just adding NoNameDam to the fleet and that Statendam, Maasdam and their sisters aren't currently going anywhere.

Edited by StormyWildcat

• 4 weeks later...

I am a huge fan of the S Class ships. But I think many cruise passengers these days want a balcony- and if you can get $1199 pp for a week vs. $399 for the same basic operating costs - food, crew, fuel etc.- why run an older ship for 1/3 of the cabin revenue? And I think the lines want to target the person who can afford a large cabin, and might find a shore excursion, nice bottle of bubbly at dinner and a $1000 painting in their budget. So they are all plunking down the capital for new builds which are essentially floating balcony carriers. And for certain demographics - over 55 - who do not pack the bars every night- the cabin revenue is important.

I am a huge fan of the S Class ships. But I think many cruise passengers these days want a balcony- and if you can get $1199 pp for a week vs. $399 for the same basic operating costs - food, crew, fuel etc.- why run an older ship for 1/3 of the cabin revenue? And I think the lines want to target the person who can afford a large cabin, and might find a shore excursion, nice bottle of bubbly at dinner and a $1000 painting in their budget. So they are all plunking down the capital for new builds which are essentially floating balcony carriers. And for certain demographics - over 55 - who do not pack the bars every night- the cabin revenue is important.

This may be one of the elements involved but others as well such as propulsion system efficiency, crew vs guest ratio, etc. The larger ships generate higher profit because the operating cost per guest is less and total revenue is higher.