Say Goodbye to Statendam! (link to sale ad provided)

InTheWASide

We will be on the Statendam in November. I sure hope the crew isn't too down about it being sold. It makes me nervous that we are going to be on an already sold ship.

I can understand that. We sailed on the original Sun Princess many years ago. It made one more sailing and was sold. The food and the crew morale were terrible.

The Statendam HAS NOT been sold! Suggest you read this entire thread & read the posted ad which lists it for sale..

The Statendam & hundreds of other cruise ships are being advertised for Sale by a Marine Broker in Dania Fl... It could take months or years for it to be sold.. This WEB site is just like a Marine e-bay or Boat U.S. advertising..We purchased our own boat by looking at several different WEB sites..Our boat was advertised for almost a year before we bought it.. Boats/ships are like houses... Some take years to sell & others sell very quickly..

The Crew knows this & there is no reason for them to be upset or for the food to be bad..Most of the crew do 10 month contracts on one ship & then either ask to come back to the same ship or placed on another ship.. Sometimes they don't have a choice what ship they will be placed on.. And sometimes many Crewmembers decide to go back to their homelands & start a new business there..

If & when the Statendam is ready to leave the fleet the crew will have an opportunity to go on other HAL ships or may be also paid off if they have not completed their contracts which is usually for only 10 months to a year..

It would be more advantageous, if all of us would read threads thoroughly before jumping to conclusions & making irrational judgments..

IMO the title of this thread is also quite misleading!

Edited by serendipity1499

just got off the Maasdam 14 day Caribbean this past Friday... heard that the Statendam and MAASDAM have been sold to Saga Cruise Lines(UK)... the Statendam will leave first in about 2 years around the time the new ship debuts... the Maasdam will then be next to go :( ...very sorry to hear that as the Maasdam is still our favorite ship--been on it 19x--360 days

Serendipity 1499, the above quoted message was just posted today, that is what people are commenting about.

I am not sure why the food and morale would be horrible - most, if not all, the crew will still have jobs, just on other ships including the new one(s). As it is now, most rotate to different ships with each contract. Food - well since they restock for each cruise - much should still be available although some stores may run low. Anything left that will keep can joust be transferred to another HAL ship I would think.

Really??????

Have you ever been on a cruise where the crew knew the ship was sold and it was their last cruise??? Their jobs are not necessarily guaranteed.

All I can say is that I have been - it was on the old Homeline Cruise line.

The crew were very sad and some surly. There was no question that something was up - it was my first cruise so I didn't have the wherewithal to clue in quickly.

I found out fast enough. And I can tell you based on my own cruise experience that there is a vast difference in the sailing experience when the ship is sold and the crew know that either their jobs are on the line or they are going to a new cruise line where they are unknown, things are different (including pay) and they may not have the same status as they did on their current ship.

My heart went out to the staff of this ship. They were obviously in agony and it definitely showed - but that was just my experience and it was a long time ago

Hey listen, if we can get 266 people to kick in 500K each, we can own this thing.

:D

Listen: 1266 pax divided into $130 million equals just over $102,700 each! We'd have another World residential ship! How hard could it be to get 1265 other folks together to sign up? The HOA fees would cover operational costs... Sound like a plan?

The Statendam HAS NOT been sold! Suggest you read this entire thread & read the posted ad which lists it for sale..

The Statendam & hundreds of other cruise ships are being advertised for Sale by a Marine Broker in Dania Fl... It could take months or years for it to be sold.. This WEB site is just like a Marine e-bay or Boat U.S. advertising..We purchased our own boat by looking at several different WEB sites..Our boat was advertised for almost a year before we bought it.. Boats/ships are like houses... Some take years to sell & others sell very quickly..

The Crew knows this & there is no reason for them to be upset or for the food to be bad..Most of the crew do 10 month contracts on one ship & then either ask to come back to the same ship or placed on another ship.. Sometimes they don't have a choice what ship they will be placed on.. And sometimes many Crewmembers decide to go back to their homelands & start a new business there..

If & when the Statendam is ready to leave the fleet the crew will have an opportunity to go on other HAL ships or may be also paid off if they have not completed their contracts which is usually for only 10 months to a year..

It would be more advantageous, if all of us would read threads thoroughly before jumping to conclusions & making irrational judgments..

IMO the title of this thread is also quite misleading!

Recommend you follow your own advice and read post #59.

just got off the Maasdam 14 day Caribbean this past Friday... heard that the Statendam and MAASDAM have been sold to Saga Cruise Lines(UK)... the Statendam will leave first in about 2 years around the time the new ship debuts... the Maasdam will then be next to go :( ...very sorry to hear that as the Maasdam is still our favorite ship--been on it 19x--360 days

on the same cruise - heard about the Statendam - nothing about the Maasdam. I don't know how much credence to put in this since I heard on a an earlier cruise that it was the Statendam and a 'V' ship but no one was sure.

hopefully not the Maasdam - that would be a huge mistake IMO.

Oh well, what will be will be - the clients that pay the bills don't have much say in the matter so there is little we can do :)

on the same cruise - heard about the Statendam - nothing about the Maasdam. I don't know how much credence to put in this since I heard on a an earlier cruise that it was the Statendam and a 'V' ship but no one was sure.

hopefully not the Maasdam - that would be a huge mistake IMO.

Oh well, what will be will be - the clients that pay the bills don't have much say in the matter so there is little we can do :)

So what's a "v" ship?

Veendam/volendam?

Thanks for posting this information.

Maybe Royal Caribbean? Rumor has it that they are looking to create a lower tier/cost cruise line in either and/or Asia and Latin America.

No Shot Royal Caribbean would buy that ship. Their lowest tier line is Pullmantur, already up and running in Latin America. It gets the older RCI and Celebrity ships; they have little to no interest in purchasing an older HAL ship unless it was for pennies on the dollar.

As far as Asia goes; they are building BIG ships as fast as possible to send there; Asia has got TONS of money and they want the biggest and best.

Someone mentioned Richard Branson. No way.

... heard that the Statendam and MAASDAM have been sold to Saga Cruise Lines(UK) ...
Among many others, I hope that your information is incorrect. But, if so, Saga Cruises is a very good company who will well operate the ships. They have done an excellent job with the other vessels that they have obtained, i.e. Vistafjord, aka Saga Ruby.
There are certainly far worse fates that could befall these ships. I regret not having been able to sail on some of Saga's ships that it has now retired, and I suspect that Saga would look after Maasdam and Statendam well.

I hope they build a 2nd new one ..

Listen: 1266 pax divided into $130 million equals just over $102,700 each! We'd have another World residential ship! How hard could it be to get 1265 other folks together to sign up? The HOA fees would cover operational costs... Sound like a plan?

Count me in!!

I was on the last world cruise of the QE2. While in Barbados we shared a ride with people from another cruise ship who commented on how surley and unhappy our crew members were. - How they knew this from being on another ship I don't know. Funny thing, IT WAS NOT HAPPENING!!! Crew members knew they were going to be transfered and some, like our head waiter, were planning to move on to other things. Ship Board rumours are wild and free. Maybe they have been sold, maybe not.... but wait for official word. By the way, I have sailed on, and like both ships.... if they do go to Saga I just might follow them

Susan

Stakeout - who gave you this info about the Statendam and Maasdam having been sold? I find it interesting that no one else has asked for verification of this info. There have been so many rumors. If someone has actual verification, let's hear it.

So what's a "v" ship?

Veendam/volendam?

Probably a Vista

Listen: 1266 pax divided into $130 million equals just over $102,700 each! We'd have another World residential ship! How hard could it be to get 1265 other folks together to sign up?
You can't expect people buying Insides to ante up as much as those with Neptune or Pinnacle suites, so your problem would be trying to find 28>29 couples willing to put up $600K per cabin to offset 128 Insides paying $80K a pop! ;)

Serendipity 1499, the above quoted message was just posted today, that is what people are commenting about.

Recommend you follow your own advice and read post #59.

Woops..You both are right, I should take my own advice & stand corrected..I missed Stakeout's msg but I too would like to know who give this info to Stakeout.. I'm one of those who will wait until HAL makes the announcement as I also have a tendency to not believe, until they can provide proof..Also wonder why they would still be advertising them if they were in fact sold?

In addition, for those who believe that the crew would be devastated or not be placed on other HAL ships & believe the food would be terrible, that is purely conjecture.. There will be other ships which HAL can put their crew on & why in heavens would HAL give their Psgrs poor food if they plan to keep the ship for two more years...That would be very poor planning as bad news travels fast!

It probably is time for the Statendam & perhaps the Maasdam to go..I've sailed on both & have enjoyed our cruises on them...The only ships I would truly miss would be the Prinsendam & the Amsterdam, our 1st & 2nd favorites, but know that one of these days they too may be sold..

Cheers..

Interesting that HAL is putting the Statendam onto the 2015 14 day Alaska run. This seems to be the premier Alaska cruise.

After it being on the Amsterdam since the beginning, it is a big change to put it on the Statendam.

Edited by SilvertoGold