Say Goodbye to Statendam! (link to sale ad provided)

InTheWASide

I'd say that with an asking price of $133ML...''good luck'' !!! If someone comes along and gives HAL that amount of $$$, I bet hey'll jump on it!!!

Remember that's what the Broker is listing it for.. Marine Brokers always inflate the prices early on & they usually get a big commission.. HAL will be lucky if they get 100 Million for it..

Agree 100%. I'll be happy to see that bucket of bolts go.

I enjoyed an excellent cruise from New Zealand to Australia on the 'Statendam' several years ago & never experienced any 'issues' on "that bucket of bolts". ;) Could you be more specific about your less than stellar cruise experience on the 'Statendam'? :confused:

Statendam was my first modern HAL ship and my first real cruise when we sailed on her in November of 1993. Have come to like Volendam and Zaandam more for their mid-ship elevators. Still, there is a place in my heart that belongs to MS Statendam.

I really like the mid-ship elevators as well! Sure cuts down on the walking.

DaveOKC

During our vow renewal pre-chat with the captain we were told all the smaller HAL ships are for sale. He quickly said that they are scheduled through 2016. He didn't mention the Prisendam though but he said two ships are under contract with the ship builder and they will be bid. The future is for larger ships to stay competitive.

I don't find it surprising? HAL is not advertising it.. A Marine Broker is advertising it & that is the way most boats, yachts & ships are sold.. Ship Brokers do a lot of advertising on the Internet..That's the best way to get world wide coverage for their inventory..They have several hundred cruise ships for sale on that sight..

We bought our boat which was advertised on a similar Internet sight many years ago & we sold it the same way, but we were able to sell it privately..If it had not sold with-in 6 months we were going to list it with a Marine Broker for a fee..

Newsprint advertising for boats & ships went by the wayside years ago, as it does not reach enough people who would be interested..The Statendam will probably be sold to a new start up cruise line or one which wants to expand, but it could be a few years before it leaves HAL's fleet....

Or to Thompson........

Thinking of Noordam III and sister ship, the previous Nieuw Amsterdam.

During our vow renewal pre-chat with the captain we were told all the smaller HAL ships are for sale. He quickly said that they are scheduled through 2016. He didn't mention the Prisendam though but he said two ships are under contract with the ship builder and they will be bid. The future is for larger ships to stay competitive.

Yup, bingo. We were told the exact same by a captain. They want to get rid of the S class sooner rather than later as they really can no longer equate a profit on it like the Vista/Signature ships and they are hurting HAL's bottom line.

I expect the S class ships might be leased and not sold outright, which is somewhat common with older ships that are still very functional in upcoming or charter markets.

The Asian cruise market is currently exploding, these ships are the perfect size for those ports.

Yup, bingo. We were told the exact same by a captain. They want to get rid of the S class sooner rather than later as they really can no longer equate a profit on it like the Vista/Signature ships and they are hurting HAL's bottom line.

I expect the S class ships might be leased and not sold outright, which is somewhat common with older ships that are still very functional in upcoming or charter markets.

The Asian cruise market is currently exploding, these ships are the perfect size for those ports.

Which is why I mentioned Thompson and Noordam III and sister Nieuw Amsterdam. :)

Edited by sail7seas

if the Statendam sells, Ithink we have the name the first Pinacle class ship.

3 or 4 months ago I shared on CC that I heard the name of the new ship would be the Groot Statendam. Maybe that information will prove to be correct. Of course I did not spell it right initially but with the help of CC members I got the spelling right in the end. I probably have forget the correct spelling by now and have spelled it wrong again.

3 or 4 months ago I shared on CC that I heard the name of the new ship would be the Groot Statendam. Maybe that information will prove to be correct. Of course I did not spell it right initially but with the help of CC members I got the spelling right in the end. I probably have forget the correct spelling by now and have spelled it wrong again.

The name of the new built/1st Pinnacle class vessel will be selected as the result of a name choosing contest among all HAL employees. "Groot Statendam" will be a definite departure from traditional HAL names but, then again, so was Eurodam, also chosen by HAL employees. I kinda doubt it but only time will tell. Still hoping for a traditional name like Spaarndam

Edited by Copper10-8

The name of the new built/1st Pinnacle class vessel will be selected as the result of a name choosing contest among all HAL employees. "Groot Statendam" will be a definite departure from traditional HAL names but, then again, so was Eurodam, also chosen by HAL employees. I kinda doubt it but only time will tell. Still hoping for a traditional name like Spaarndam

John:

What is the History of the "Spaarndam?"

I cannot imagine why they would maintain this ship any better than a few of the others.

Especially those ships in the fleet that seem plagued, on a constant or intermittent basis, by failing A/C, plumbing and other issues.

I believe that HAL is trying to wring as much revenue as possible out of these ships while spending the bare minimum on maintenance until these ships are sold. And it shows.

Edited by iancal

Or to Thompson........

Thinking of Noordam III and sister ship, the previous Nieuw Amsterdam.

Me thinks when they (the "S" class) go, some of the prospective buyers/lessees will be Thomson Cruises (UK), Fred Olsen CL (UK-Norway), Swan Hellenic (UK), Saga Cruises (UK), Cruise & Maritime Voyages (UK), CDF Croisières de France, TUI Cruises (Germany), Phoenix Seereisen (Germany), Iberocruceros (Spain), Pullmantur Cruises (Spain),Louis Cruises (Cyprus), P&O Australia and Star Cruises (Malaysia-Hong Kong)

John:

What is the History of the "Spaarndam?"

Morning Father, there have been two Spaarndam's in HAL's history; Spaarndam I was built in 1881 by Harland & Wolff shipbuilders in Belfast, Northern Ireland as the Arabic for the famous British White Star Line. She joined, then Nederlandsche Amerikaanse Stoomvaart Maatschappij (NASM) aka Holland Amerika Lijn in 1890 as Spaarndam with accommodations for 90 first class, 52 second class and 694 third class pax. She was broken up/scrapped at Preston, Lancashire, UK in 1901

Spaarndam II was built in Holland, at the Nieuwe Waterweg Scheepsbouw Maatschappij or New Waterway Shipbuilding Company yard at Schiedam, close to Rotterdam as a passenger/cargo ship. She was launched on 11 January 1922 with 14 first, 174 second and 800 third class cabins and used on Holland Amerika Lijn's Rotterdam to Cuba and Mexico run. She was then rebuilt for Rotterdam to New York service for which she departed for the first time on 23 October 1935. Tragically, she struck a German magnetic sea mine at the mouth of the River Thames on 27 November 1939 at the beginning of World War II and sank with the loss of five dead

Spaarndam itself is a village in Noord Holland province on the Spaarne and IJ rivers. It was made famous for the movie "Hans Brinker or the silver skates" for which a statue of Hans was erected which still stands in town

Me thinks when they (the "S" class) go, some of the prospective buyers/lessees will be Thomson Cruises (UK), Fred Olsen CL (UK-Norway), Swan Hellenic (UK), Saga Cruises (UK), Cruise & Maritime Voyages (UK), CDF Croisières de France, TUI Cruises (Germany), Phoenix Seereisen (Germany), Iberocruceros (Spain), Pullmantur Cruises (Spain),Louis Cruises (Cyprus), P&O Australia and Star Cruises (Malaysia-Hong Kong)

You can take CDF off that list. They're acquiring Celebrity Century next summer (2015), TUI is building 2 new ships that are near identical dimensions, size, pax of the Pinnacle Class but the ship is much more aesthetically pleasing that Pinnacle Class (exception being the "crystal hemorrhoid" in the aft), Iberocruceros is losing their butt right now, Pullmantur gets everything they need from their Royal Caribbean affiliations, Louis is transforming their fleet to be more authentically Greek and Star has announced two 140,000 ton newbuilds of their own... likely similar to Breakaway or EPic class ships due to their NCL ties.

Edited by InTheWASide

You can take CDF off that list. They're acquiring Celebrity Century next summer (2015), TUI is building 2 new ships that are near identical dimensions, size, pax of the Pinnacle Class but the ship is much more aesthetically pleasing that Pinnacle Class (exception being the "crystal hemorrhoid" in the aft), Iberocruceros is losing their butt right now, Pullmantur gets everything they need from their Royal Caribbean affiliations, Louis is transforming their fleet to be more authentically Greek and Star has announced two 140,000 ton newbuilds of their own... likely similar to Breakaway or EPic class ships due to their NCL ties.

Thanks for the update; time will tell

Morning Father, there have been two Spaarndam's in HAL's history; Spaarndam I was built in 1881 by Harland & Wolff shipbuilders in Belfast, Northern Ireland as the Arabic for the famous British White Star Line. She joined, then Nederlandsche Amerikaanse Stoomvaart Maatschappij (NASM) aka Holland Amerika Lijn in 1890 as Spaarndam with accommodations for 90 first class, 52 second class and 694 third class pax. She was broken up/scrapped at Preston, Lancashire, UK in 1901

Spaarndam II was built in Holland, at the Nieuwe Waterweg Scheepsbouw Maatschappij or New Waterway Shipbuilding Company yard at Schiedam, close to Rotterdam as a passenger/cargo ship. She was launched on 11 January 1922 with 14 first, 174 second and 800 third class cabins and used on Holland Amerika Lijn's Rotterdam to Cuba and Mexico run. She was then rebuilt for Rotterdam to New York service for which she departed for the first time on 23 October 1935. Tragically, she struck a German magnetic sea mine at the mouth of the River Thames on 27 November 1939 at the beginning of World War II and sank with the loss of five dead

Spaarndam itself is a village in Noord Holland province on the Spaarne and IJ rivers. It was made famous for the movie "Hans Brinker or the silver skates" for which a statue of Hans was erected which still stands in town

Thanks for answering my question John. It would be a good thing to name the new ship The

Spaarndam.

There was a thread that apparently got lost with the latest Cruise Critic hiccup. It is a fact that Crystal's new President wants to explore options to expand the fleet and the possibility of buying an existing ship would be considered. On that thread the sale offer on the Statendam came up.

The idea has some possibilities and some drawbacks.

I think many factors on the Statendam would fit in.

Wrap around promenade deck

Generous public spaces

A nice nimble size.

I think the drawbacks are the passenger count and maintenance. Crystal has a history of being very proactive about maintenance and upkeep, and would take superb care of any ship they acquired. Their engineers would have to do a significant analysis of the what would be required to bring the Statendam up to Crystal standards and maintain it. The 1995 Crystal Symphony is in superb condition and I think they could do a great job of caring for her.

A 1300 passenger 55,000 ton ship clearly does not fit their mold, but the solution may be relatively easy. The 130 or so inside staterooms are far too many for a luxury ship, but most of them could likely be converted to thing like the internet center and classroom, and perhaps the library. Some of the isolated ones could be used for entertainers, lecturers, and the like. I think a 55,000 ship in the 1,000 passenger range could be a great addition to the fleet.

If the Statendam ever became the Crystal Rondo, I think I would be interested,

I strongly doubt that it would ever happen, but it is interesting.

Just a thought

Roy