Say Goodbye to Statendam! (link to sale ad provided)

InTheWASide

There was a thread that apparently got lost with the latest Cruise Critic hiccup. It is a fact that Crystal's new President wants to explore options to expand the fleet and the possibility of buying an existing ship would be considered. On that thread the sale offer on the Statendam came up.

The idea has some possibilities and some drawbacks.

I think many factors on the Statendam would fit in.

Wrap around promenade deck

Generous public spaces

A nice nimble size.

I think the drawbacks are the passenger count and maintenance. Crystal has a history of being very proactive about maintenance and upkeep, and would take superb care of any ship they acquired. Their engineers would have to do a significant analysis of the what would be required to bring the Statendam up to Crystal standards and maintain it. The 1995 Crystal Symphony is in superb condition and I think they could do a great job of caring for her.

A 1300 passenger 55,000 ton ship clearly does not fit their mold, but the solution may be relatively easy. The 130 or so inside staterooms are far too many for a luxury ship, but most of them could likely be converted to thing like the internet center and classroom, and perhaps the library. Some of the isolated ones could be used for entertainers, lecturers, and the like. I think a 55,000 ship in the 1,000 passenger range could be a great addition to the fleet.

If the Statendam ever became the Crystal Rondo, I think I would be interested,

I strongly doubt that it would ever happen, but it is interesting.

Just a thought

Roy

Roy, I do think this is an excellent idea but the only thing is that the Main Atrium is much smaller and not as Grand as the Crystal Symphony and Serenity. HAL has never had that WOW when entering the ship like Crystal or many of the older Cruise Ships have had. I am not sure there would be a way of changing that. But size wise I do agree that maybe it could be made over to some what fit into Crystal's style. But like you stated it really depend more upon how the internal part of the Statendam has been maintained and what the cost would actually be to Crystalize her :D

Me thinks when they (the "S" class) go, some of the prospective buyers/lessees will be Thomson Cruises (UK), Fred Olsen CL (UK-Norway), Swan Hellenic (UK), Saga Cruises (UK), Cruise & Maritime Voyages (UK), CDF Croisières de France, TUI Cruises (Germany), Phoenix Seereisen (Germany), Iberocruceros (Spain), Pullmantur Cruises (Spain),Louis Cruises (Cyprus), P&O Australia and Star Cruises (Malaysia-Hong Kong)

Impressive list, Copper.

Thanks. :)

Me thinks when they (the "S" class) go, some of the prospective buyers/lessees will be Thomson Cruises (UK), Fred Olsen CL (UK-Norway), Swan Hellenic (UK), Saga Cruises (UK), Cruise & Maritime Voyages (UK), CDF Croisières de France, TUI Cruises (Germany), Phoenix Seereisen (Germany), Iberocruceros (Spain), Pullmantur Cruises (Spain),Louis Cruises (Cyprus), P&O Australia and Star Cruises (Malaysia-Hong Kong)

Copper, I don't think you missed anyone off that list!

Maybe P&O Australia will buy it, they like to buy old ships, and then call them Australia's Newest Superliner, and then sell the cruises for top dollar!

:D

Yeah, but they typically take all of their ships from Princess. Then there's P&O UK which builds new ships that look near identical to Princess (although Britannia's interiors look SOOOOO much better than anything Princess did with Royal/Regal in near identical spaces.

There was a thread that apparently got lost with the latest Cruise Critic hiccup. It is a fact that Crystal's new President wants to explore options to expand the fleet and the possibility of buying an existing ship would be considered. On that thread the sale offer on the Statendam came up.

The idea has some possibilities and some drawbacks.

I think many factors on the Statendam would fit in.

Wrap around promenade deck

Generous public spaces

A nice nimble size.

I think the drawbacks are the passenger count and maintenance. Crystal has a history of being very proactive about maintenance and upkeep, and would take superb care of any ship they acquired. Their engineers would have to do a significant analysis of the what would be required to bring the Statendam up to Crystal standards and maintain it. The 1995 Crystal Symphony is in superb condition and I think they could do a great job of caring for her.

A 1300 passenger 55,000 ton ship clearly does not fit their mold, but the solution may be relatively easy. The 130 or so inside staterooms are far too many for a luxury ship, but most of them could likely be converted to thing like the internet center and classroom, and perhaps the library. Some of the isolated ones could be used for entertainers, lecturers, and the like. I think a 55,000 ship in the 1,000 passenger range could be a great addition to the fleet.

If the Statendam ever became the Crystal Rondo, I think I would be interested,

I strongly doubt that it would ever happen, but it is interesting.

Just a thought

Roy

Well thought out. I was going to say "But does Crystal even HAVE inside rooms?" but you're right. Phase most of those out and then it would be more in line with what they do. Would take a pretty serious retrofit though as I'm sure a lot of spaces would need to be gutted to meet their standard

The name of the new built/1st Pinnacle class vessel will be selected as the result of a name choosing contest among all HAL employees. "Groot Statendam" will be a definite departure from traditional HAL names but, then again, so was Eurodam, also chosen by HAL employees. I kinda doubt it but only time will tell. Still hoping for a traditional name like Spaarndam

Are there any criteria needed in the name choosing? I am assuming that “Spaarnedam”, is not among the easiest pronounceable names among the majority of the HAL customers. And if the Statendam is the one to go, this is definitely the name with the most history attached to it, within Holland America.

By the way, I am still hoping that HAL will also deploy new smaller ships, the Fincantieri yard is building lots of them, including the smaller ones for sister company Seabourn, so sharing the hull design, is economical.

• 1 month later...

just got off the Maasdam 14 day Caribbean this past Friday... heard that the Statendam and MAASDAM have been sold to Saga Cruise Lines(UK)... the Statendam will leave first in about 2 years around the time the new ship debuts... the Maasdam will then be next to go :( ...very sorry to hear that as the Maasdam is still our favorite ship--been on it 19x--360 days

just got off the Maasdam 14 day Caribbean this past Friday... heard that the Statendam and MAASDAM have been sold to Saga Cruise Lines(UK)... the Statendam will leave first in about 2 years around the time the new ship debuts... the Maasdam will then be next to go :( ...very sorry to hear that as the Maasdam is still our favorite ship--been on it 19x--360 days

Among many others, I hope that your information is incorrect. But, if so, Saga Cruises is a very good company who will well operate the ships. They have done an excellent job with the other vessels that they have obtained, i.e. Vistafjord, aka Saga Ruby.

If this sale does take place, I think we now have a clue as to the name of the new HAL Pinnacle Class newbuild.

How sad. DD is on the Statendam right now, and we will be on the Maasdam in October. It has to affect morale. We were on the France when it was announced that she had been sold, and the crew were all very upset. However, if there is something new and better on the horizon - maybe it is for the best.

Interesting information. Until our last cruise on Maasdam in January, she was absolutely one of our favorites.

I would think they'd sell Veendam before Maasdam...but what do I know?

Perhaps Saga doesn't want Veendam.

It's not all that bad...Topsham (Stephen Card) seems to love the Saga ships...and he's well respected.

I don't find it surprising? HAL is not advertising it.. A Marine Broker is advertising it & that is the way most boats, yachts & ships are sold.. Ship Brokers do a lot of advertising on the Internet..That's the best way to get world wide coverage for their inventory..They have several hundred cruise ships for sale on that sight..

We bought our boat which was advertised on a similar Internet sight many years ago & we sold it the same way, but we were able to sell it privately..If it had not sold with-in 6 months we were going to list it with a Marine Broker for a fee..

Newsprint advertising for boats & ships went by the wayside years ago, as it does not reach enough people who would be interested..The Statendam will probably be sold to a new start up cruise line or one which wants to expand, but it could be a few years before it leaves HAL's fleet....

Richard Branson may have the first ship in his new cruise lines. After all that is how he started with Virgin Air.:D

That old tub is well past it's best before date.

Let's hope HAL manages to flog a few more of the 'old darlings' so they can get on with building a new fleet. Veendam would be a good next step.

Edited by iancal

That old tub is well past it's best before date.

Let's hope HAL manages to flog a few more of the 'old darlings' so they can get on with building a new fleet. Veendam would be a good next step.

Well, I do not agree that the Statendam and the Maasdam are well past their due date.

But, I do think that the Veendam, given how she was butchered, ought to be a prime vessel to be removed from the HAL fleet.

But, who wants her? (And, I fear the same result for the Rotterdam.)

Whomever came up with the Lanai Cabins and the Retreat ideas needs to find a new employer as far as I am concerned.

Sail will be heartbroken.....:(

HAL would have been better off selling Veendam instead of Maasdam.

At least they can keep the A/C working on Massdam and there are not, to my knowledge, any 'known' flood zones in the cabin areas on her....unlike Veendam.

Cannot blame a buyer for passing on Veendam though.

Edited by iancal

We will be on the Statendam in November. I sure hope the crew isn't too down about it being sold. It makes me nervous that we are going to be on an already sold ship.

I can understand that. We sailed on the original Sun Princess many years ago. It made one more sailing and was sold. The food and the crew morale were terrible.

I hope that I am wrong, but I think the Veendam may be "razor blades" before she sails for another company.

I think before it becomes razor blades HAL just needs to except a lower price. My guess is that because of her problems the offers that may have come through were extremely low. I am guessing somewhere in the world there is a cruise line that might consider buying her HAL just needs to except less than they are trying to get.

I am not sure why the food and morale would be horrible - most, if not all, the crew will still have jobs, just on other ships including the new one(s). As it is now, most rotate to different ships with each contract. Food - well since they restock for each cruise - much should still be available although some stores may run low. Anything left that will keep can joust be transferred to another HAL ship I would think.

I think before it becomes razor blades HAL just needs to except a lower price. My guess is that because of her problems the offers that may have come through were extremely low. I am guessing somewhere in the world there is a cruise line that might consider buying her HAL just needs to except less than they are trying to get.

Maybe Royal Caribbean? Rumor has it that they are looking to create a lower tier/cost cruise line in either and/or Asia and Latin America.

Maybe Royal Caribbean? Rumor has it that they are looking to create a lower tier/cost cruise line in either and/or Asia and Latin America.

Actually I had heard about Latin America as well and would suspect it could work well for there. Not sure about the Asia market while it is up and coming what they may be looking for may be very different.