Live from Eclipse - some thing spreading

HS2BS

Everything on buffet is controlled by crew, even drinks are blocked off and you have to ask and the handed to you across the tables that blockade drink isle.

No salt/pepper, sugar or other condiments on tables.

Plates and utensils are behind counters.

Hal

No self serve in buffet, condiments are off tables, every thing is served including drinks. Plates and silver is behind counters and dispensed when food is ordered.

Hand sanitizers are used before you walk into stores. Pool butlers are even wearing gloves to load and unload towels by pools.

Crew working on through cleaning while we are in Barbados today!

Keep you posted,

Hal

Its been 27 hrs and 28 posts/replies since the original & Only acknowledge from someone on the Eclipse.

An Update / status is needed

Let's hope for the Best; we are on the next sailing Feb 22nd and I am confident that, as previously stated, it will be One CLEAN & beautiful ship.

LEFTY

Gosh, we got off the Eclipse on Feb.8th and our sailing was fine - no word on people getting sick with Noro-Virus. There was one thing that was going around though, and that was a cough that never seemed to go away. I developed the cough and when I got home I heard that many people caught this cold with a bad cough. I am still coughing, no fever, no aches, just an annoying cough!!!

Same with us. Loved the Jan.25 trip, our first & likely not last Celebrity trip. I never got the cough, but my partner Richard got a minor cough.we think it's from the A/C. I liked it chilly in the room. I did find the ship to be considerably warmer than on our many Cunard trips. A few nights I sweltered in the MDR during dinner. We usually dress rather formally even on casual nights. You would have seen me frequently with my straw Fedora as we entered the MDR, taking it off as we sat down.

We are sailing on eclipse in 3 weeks. While hope it will be the safest ship by then, wondering what the policies were about quarantine,what treatments available, charges, etc. ( search function is down).

Be nice is there were " a ship within a ship" for those quarantined..:rolleyes:

Hi Hal:

Thanks so much for your update. We're on the Feb 22 sailing as well, and it is nice to be prepared. I hope that with the precautions they are taking that they get things contained so that those who are not sick stay healthy- and I hope that those who are sick have a speedy recovery and don't miss out on too much of their vacations.

I wonder what it will take for people to realize that they need to use proper hygiene. You'd think that the RCL Explorer outbreak would have been a wake-up call to anyone planning to cruise in the weeks that followed- it certainly had a ton of press...

If you get any more estimates of the number ill, please keep us informed, and thanks again for taking the time to post.

Good hygiene is of course important, but you can practice all the good hygiene in the world and this very, very virulent virus will still spread. It takes a miniscule amount of the virus to spread it to another person. Furthermore, according to the CDC it can be contagious for a full two weeks after you have it (that is not a typo!).

I had it at home three weeks ago. That evening (before I knew I had it) I was at the gym. I wipe off the elliptical machine, but I can't go around disinfecting every single thing I touch there. I have to believe I infected some people unknowingly. Two years ago at home DH had it. We all washed our hands constantly and I bleach cleaned every surface I could think of multiple times. Everyone in the family caught it anyway. My only point is, it seems to me Celebrity is doing all it can to prevent the spread, but there is only so much that can be done. Practice the best hygiene you can, keep your fingers crossed, and then try to forget about it and enjoy your cruise.

Its been 27 hrs and 28 posts/replies since the original & Only acknowledge from someone on the Eclipse.

An Update / status is needed

Let's hope for the Best; we are on the next sailing Feb 22nd and I am confident that, as previously stated, it will be One CLEAN & beautiful ship.

LEFTY

Yes, we could use some more info on the problem but we don't need another sermon on hygiene, we understand.

Ship has been cleaned and sanititized and that seems to have worked. Only a few new cases REPORTED. No official up dates, but letter from captain states that medical care is complimentary.

Still no plates or drinks for self service , and silverware is handled to you in the buffet.

Meanwhile, cruise is fabulous with perfect weather and enjoyable ports.

From Antigua,

Hal

Thanks for the update! Looking forward to hearing from you when you return as we are on the March 8th sailing.

Enjoy the rest of your cruise!

So please stay healthy as we are on the sailing after yours :)

Edited by UniPac

Ship has been cleaned and sanititized and that seems to have worked. Only a few new cases REPORTED. No official up dates, but letter from captain states that medical care is complimentary.

Still no plates or drinks for self service , and silverware is handled to you in the buffet.

Meanwhile, cruise is fabulous with perfect weather and enjoyable ports.

From Antigua,

Hal

Thanks for the update!! enjoy your cruise!:):)

Out of 9 officially reported Norovirus outbreaks (according to the CDC) on ships last year, 4 were Celebrity ships. Thats a little worrying and should be a matter of urgency for X to tackle.

To add further detail and clarification Celebrity had 2 out of the reported 16 ships in 2012, 3 out of the reported 14 ships in 2011, and 4 out of 14 in 2014 that reported outbreaks of one kind or another.

Reference: Cruise ship outbreak updates

Side note: Please tell me the Celebrity Mercury was decommissioned and burned.

Side note: Please tell me the Celebrity Mercury was decommissioned and burned.

She sails as Mein Schiff 2. Below is a photo taken of Eclipse and Mein Schiff 2 in Antigua on Jan 6 2014:

12199907866_b1041a67b8_c.jpg

Edited by mahdnc

Gosh, we got off the Eclipse on Feb.8th and our sailing was fine - no word on people getting sick with Noro-Virus. There was one thing that was going around though, and that was a cough that never seemed to go away. I developed the cough and when I got home I heard that many people caught this cold with a bad cough. I am still coughing, no fever, no aches, just an annoying cough!!!

If this cough persists >2 wks, see your doctor. It could be pneumonia.

Sue

Found it interesting that Carnival has only had 3 cases of outbreak since 2008. Wonder what it is they are doing so much better than Celebrity?

Carnival guests consume more alcohol. :D

(It's a joke for the overly sensitive.)

Edited by Dizney

Found it interesting that Carnival has only had 3 cases of outbreak since 2008. Wonder what it is they are doing so much better than Celebrity?

I do wonder about the different age demographics. Younger clientele on Carnival, presumably with stronger immune systems......perhaps that may be a factor.

I do wonder about the different age demographics. Younger clientele on Carnival, presumably with stronger immune systems......perhaps that may be a factor.

I agree that passenger age and general health are important factors. However, each week Carnival carries nearly 3x the number of passengers as Celebrity. I don't think it can all be put on the passengers.