Excited to try Blu but...

sweetp09

We will be sailing on Reflection in December and we are in an AQ stateroom. We are excited to try Blu, but I am really hoping I can readily get a few appetizers/entree items, namely escargot (can I request it every night even if it is not on the menu?), shrimp (preferably not fried), filet mignon, lamb and lobster with drawn butter (hopefully this is available at least once on our seven night). All of these things are meals I rarely get so I am hoping to treat myself as much as I can on this cruise. Am I expecting too much to find most of these on the menu regularly?

I had shrimp cocktail every night, there's a list of "off menu items" that they are happy to get for you, I don't know all of them, but shrimp cocktail, & ceasar salad were among them.

There is a lamb night, which is amazing... & some sort of lobster, which was not so amazing...

My experiences have all been on longer cruises, & I don't know if it's the same thing on short cruises.

Blu isn't close to the main dining room so it would be difficult, if not logistically impossible, for your waiter to sprint across the ship for a special item that isn't offered on the Blu menu. There are some similarities, but you can go to Select Dining in the MDR is there's a night when you prefer that menu.

Edited by JanineM

I had shrimp cocktail every night, there's a list of "off menu items" that they are happy to get for you, I don't know all of them, but shrimp cocktail, & ceasar salad were among them.

Do you know where I could find the list? I'm curious exactly what is on the list.:)

We were on Silhouette last year in AQ. One night we didn't see anything on Blu's dessert menu that appealed to us, so the waiter asked what we would like that was not on the menu. We told him we like creme brulee, so he said, "No problem, I'll get you both one." So he trotted off to MDR and came back with two creme brulees. They are so accommodating in Blu that you shouldn't have a problem, from time to time, asking for something that's on the MDR menu. By the way, they do serve lobster in Blu once during the cruise, and it's wonderful.

We will be sailing on Reflection in December and we are in an AQ stateroom. We are excited to try Blu, but I am really hoping I can readily get a few appetizers/entree items, namely escargot (can I request it every night even if it is not on the menu?), shrimp (preferably not fried), filet mignon, lamb and lobster with drawn butter (hopefully this is available at least once on our seven night). All of these things are meals I rarely get so I am hoping to treat myself as much as I can on this cruise. Am I expecting too much to find most of these on the menu regularly?

Lamb, filet, lobster, and a cheviche are on the menu on some evenings in Blu. Lobster was a Christmas Eve menu item...not sure if it is an always menu option. All were very good. Escargot I didn't see on the menu however, if they are not too busy they will get it from the MDR menu for you.

Enjoy! ...and be sure to try the soft shell crab appetizer as it is excellent!!!

p.s. Creme brulee was on the menu every evening.

Edited by 20pluscruises

Just Goggled Blu menus. Here is a link for the images that showed up. Decide if there is anything that you like.

enjoy

https://www.google.com/search?q=celebrity+blu+menu&client=firefox-a&rls=org.mozilla:en-US:official&channel=fflb&tbm=isch&tbo=u&source=univ&sa=X&ei=044HU-OBCeSN1AGG4oHYBQ&ved=0CD8QsAQ&biw=1024&bih=652

Edited by Duanerice1

French Onion Soup, shrimp cocktail, among other items, are part of the everyday menu in Blu - even if not listed on the menu. I don't know where they get it from (their own galley or the MDR), but I had both almost every night. On the S-Class, Blu is located on deck 5 with the other speciality restaurants. They are not located anywhere near the MDR. Whether the actual galleys are near each other, I don't know.

Lobster tails are on the men the first formal night.

I remember DH having escargot, but I don't remember if it was on the everyday menu or was available on a specific night's menu.

DH asked for and received eggs benedict for breakfast.

We loved Blu - the food and service were excellent and would sail AQ again just for Blu.

I think the next time I'm in Select Dining I'll ask if they can bring me something from Blu.;) Seriously, why does everyone seem to think it's OK to do this when Blu is your dining room? I find it interesting that Blu diners are offended when suite passengers are allowed to dine in Blu because they think it might make them have to wait for a table but they think nothing of going on over to Select Dining and making it a longer wait for those diners.

I've dined in Blu when in a suite and don't really see the big attraction except for the nice breakfast, but I certainly wouldn't be sending my waiter running around for something from the MDR.

I think the next time I'm in Select Dining I'll ask if they can bring me something from Blu.;) Seriously, why does everyone seem to think it's OK to do this when Blu is your dining room? I find it interesting that Blu diners are offended when suite passengers are allowed to dine in Blu because they think it might make them have to wait for a table but they think nothing of going on over to Select Dining and making it a longer wait for those diners.

I've dined in Blu when in a suite and don't really see the big attraction except for the nice breakfast, but I certainly wouldn't be sending my waiter running around for something from the MDR.

Totally agree. Plus it really must impact the service for other diners in Blu when half the waitstaff is running around between kitchens for those that want items off menu.

Sent from my iPad using Forums mobile app

I "think" it's ok to order shrimp cocktail, ceasar salad & a few other items because it's offered :) I wouldn't ask for anything not on the "list" but there are some items that are available to Blu diners.

As for the attraction, I don't like the size, noise level, service, or ambiance of the MDR. I know many people enjoy the big tables, or talking with table mates, but I prefer to socialize in lounges, & just relax at dinner. After a long day of walking for 6 to 10 hours I need some "down time"

I'm not putting down anyone who likes the MDR, we would like to send my parents on the Solstice to Alaska if Dad's health allows it, & I know they would really love the MDR, my Mom is very outgoing & would probably really enjoy it. :)

I guess I am guilty of being one of those who would rather not have suite guests in Blu. I passed up an upgrade to a suite last cruise because I thought it would be really hypocritical of me to take a suite & then dine in Blu.

I would not choose to eat dinner in the MDR, so I won't be slowing anyone up there. :)

All the items you want are available during the week. Escargot is not on the menu but just ask. Have been in Aqua 5 times and have never had a problem getting escargot. Shrimp cocktail is always there and a few shrimp hot dishes.

Lobster is served on the last formal night. They also have lamb one night and filet at least once.

They have sample menu's on the Celebrity website. Go to onboard experience and click restaurants. Then click Blu. It has breakfast and dinner menus. We have seen all the items on the menu at one time or another.

I "think" it's ok to order shrimp cocktail, ceasar salad & a few other items because it's offered :) I wouldn't ask for anything not on the "list" but there are some items that are available to Blu diners.

As for the attraction, I don't like the size, noise level, service, or ambiance of the MDR. I know many people enjoy the big tables, or talking with table mates, but I prefer to socialize in lounges, & just relax at dinner. After a long day of walking for 6 to 10 hours I need some "down time"

I'm not putting down anyone who likes the MDR, we would like to send my parents on the Solstice to Alaska if Dad's health allows it, & I know they would really love the MDR, my Mom is very outgoing & would probably really enjoy it. :)

I guess I am guilty of being one of those who would rather not have suite guests in Blu. I passed up an upgrade to a suite last cruise because I thought it would be really hypocritical of me to take a suite & then dine in Blu.

I would not choose to eat dinner in the MDR, so I won't be slowing anyone up there. :)

I find the tables in Blu to be very close together and not really any more peaceful than the MDR.

Why would it be hypocritical? Wouldn't it be the same as ordering the allowed items since suite guests are allowed to dine in Blu?

Edited by Ma Bell

I find the tables in Blu to be very close together and not really any more peaceful than the MDR.

Why would it be hypocritical? Wouldn't it be the same as ordering the allowed items since suite guests are allowed to dine in Blu?

It would be hypocritical for me (not someone else) because I've said several times on this board that I wish they would not allow suite guests to use Blu, my main complaint is at breakfast; last cruise was very stormy weather almost every day & Blu was packed at breakfast time... if it hadn't been raining we would prefer to eat outside.

I should say dining is at the bottom of my list of important items on a cruise... it's right down there with shows, trivia, & shopping :) I love that we can have a quiet meal in Blu, & be out of there in 45 minutes or so.

& yes, the tables in Blu are close together, but you are never served in tandem with the tables next to you, a table for two is treated as a table for two, & to me, it's a much more peaceful experience. :)

Edited by cruise kitty

I guess the point I was trying to make is how people asking for special things all the time may affect others. We see lots of complaining that the service is not as good as it used to be and I sometimes wonder if it might be somewhat impacted by people believing that they should just request whatever they want.

If I dine in Blu I don't expect people to be running around the ship to satisfy my personal desires when there are others who expect to be served as well. I think we all know that when someone requests something they will go out of their way to oblige but I think we all need to give a little thought to what we are requesting.

Totally agree. Plus it really must impact the service for other diners in Blu when half the waitstaff is running around between kitchens for those that want items off menu.

Seriously, why does everyone seem to think it's OK to do this when Blu is your dining room? I find it interesting that Blu diners are offended when suite passengers are allowed to dine in Blu because they think it might make them have to wait for a table but they think nothing of going on over to Select Dining and making it a longer wait for those diners.

I was under the impression that on the M class ships at least Blu and the MDR share a galley so it wouldn't actually be any kind of a "running around between kitchens" situation.

I will be in AQ on my upcoming cruise (on Connie) and being a picky eater it would be nice to be able to order things from either dinning room. But apparently if I ask for something from the MDR in Blu i'm being rude and if I want to eat in the MDR some nights instead I'm also being rude according to posters in this thread. What's a girl to do :confused:?!?!

Of course there's nothing wrong with an occasional request but what if everyone decided they should be able to order off both menus? Each menu certainly has enough choices to satisfy even picky eaters. The point is to just try to be a little thoughtful about your requests.

We were on Silhouette last year in AQ. One night we didn't see anything on Blu's dessert menu that appealed to us, so the waiter asked what we would like that was not on the menu. We told him we like creme brulee, so he said, "No problem, I'll get you both one." So he trotted off to MDR and came back with two creme brulees. They are so accommodating in Blu that you shouldn't have a problem, from time to time, asking for something that's on the MDR menu. By the way, they do serve lobster in Blu once during the cruise, and it's wonderful.

And on our one cruise in AQ, they refused to get us anything from the MDR menu. Blu was extremely crowded on that cruise, and the waiters were already overworked. I suspect that impacted the decision. Celebrity's consistent inconsistency.

Of course there's nothing wrong with an occasional request but what if everyone decided they should be able to order off both menus? Each menu certainly has enough choices to satisfy even picky eaters. The point is to just try to be a little thoughtful about your requests.

Well stated.