Cheapo Tote Bags

rothbury

We never received a bag that could be used or considered to be a shoulder bag.

We have ours out right now because we're packing for Friday's cruise. There have been a few different handle lengths and canvas weights over the years. (We don't cruise as much as some of you, so it's a little easier to spot the differences when you have 2 years between bags.)

We appreciate the bags, but prefer to bring our own totes. We like a larger bag that can hold towels, water bottle, lotion, etc.

It sure would be nice if HAL brought back a quality version of the canvas bag and SOLD them in the onboard store. I would buy some. ;)

I always create a hardcover (coffee table type) book and lately have made patches ( for our roll-call) for the trip. The (canvas) tote makes a great place to put that all together.

You know. (Thinking aloud here) adding a silk screened map on the tote would be nice, too.

I am in the minority but the blue bags are fine with me. I have so many of the natural colored bags at home. I usually come home fold them and put them in the stack. I bring a different bag for the pool to carry all my things and just use this one to go into port to carry water bottle, etc. When it is full it cuts down on shopping which just ends up in a stack next to the bags!

We have ours out right now because we're packing for Friday's cruise. There have been a few different handle lengths and canvas weights over the years. (We don't cruise as much as some of you, so it's a little easier to spot the differences when you have 2 years between bags.)

We appreciate the bags, but prefer to bring our own totes. We like a larger bag that can hold towels, water bottle, lotion, etc.

We have twelve bags and none of them are shoulder bags, I guess we must have missed the ship that was given them away. Maybe on our cruise in Sept. we will get one.

Us too! :)

We loved the Collectors' bags too and when we got on our first 'real' collectors' cruise - there was no bag. I was so disappointed - fortunately we were on the P'dam and our steward found one for us in storage. I LOVE it and it will be going on our next HAL cruise :)

I still love my canvas Mariner's bag and always take it along. Usually other passengers will inquire as to where I got it. In defense of the blue bags, I find they are handy in size and weight when I am going to breakfast and only want to carry my flavored creamer, glasses, pen and the NY Times daily. I bring them home and always find a use for them sooner or later. Hey, it's a gift and the new cruisers are happy to receive it I bet. ;)

Those really nice heavier tote bags were Mariner Bags and were given to guests on b-to-b cruises. We always got them on turn around day at the start of our second segment. I love those bags and have a nice collection. :) They are sturdy, a little larger than the light tan bags, much sturdier straps and the handy pocket in the front.

Last I heard, they stopped giving those bags to b-to-b'ers.

We haven't received one of those for quite a while. They've gotten rid of the light weight canvas...and are now doing just the blue "grocery store-type" bag.

We never received a bag that could be used or considered to be a shoulder bag.

I can't speak for the size of anyone else's arm/shoulder but every natural color HAL tote we received fits fine over my shoulder and I'm not a tiny, little person. :D The woven straps are plenty big to slip over a shoulder. :confused:

The new blue bags they are using now? I wouldn't put it over my shoulder to rub against my jersey/blouse. I'm not sure the dye wouldn't come off on my clothes. I have no desire to test and find out. :eek: :cool:

While I always liked the tan canvass bags, I find the new blue bags perfectly acceptable. Along with a small over-the-shoulder size carry-on bag, they are large enough to hold all of the items that I would need/use on the final evening of the cruise and permits the larger pieces of luggage to be taken off the ship by someone other than me. Greatly appreciate that, believe me!

These blue bags are very much like what I received on Celebrity Eclipse in 2013.

That cracks me up. If they can get $5.00 for one of those bags, I'm going to start selling mine off. I have a veritable gold mine of them sitting in the basement. :rolleyes:

That cracks me up. If they can get $5.00 for one of those bags, I'm going to start selling mine off. I have a veritable gold mine of them sitting in the basement. :rolleyes:

We could probably do another cruise with the profits!!! LOL

While I always liked the tan canvass bags, I find the new blue bags perfectly acceptable. Along with a small over-the-shoulder size carry-on bag, they are large enough to hold all of the items that I would need/use on the final evening of the cruise and permits the larger pieces of luggage to be taken off the ship by someone other than me. Greatly appreciate that, believe me!

These blue bags are very much like what I received on Celebrity Eclipse in 2013.

Fine with me, too, when we got them on the Westerdam in December.

Especially compared with nothing or the actual plastic bag we got on RCCL one time.

We are taking our virgin DAM cruise next month, and I'm looking forward to getting even a cheap tote bag, and also the tile.

I'll add the bag to my collection of several styles of RCCL, Princess, and Celebrity. Also, my sister LOVES tote bags of any kind, so I may give it to her.

I have a large black canvas purse/bag that I use all the time here at home, and it comes with me when I travel. Makes a terrific carry-on and tote bag on our cruise. My husband calls it my "magic bag", because if he needs something (short of a drill or hammer) it's in my bag!

Edited by pcur

The tile is presented to all Mariners.

A Mariner on HAL is someone who has completed one cruise. You will receive a tile on your second HAL cruise OR if you have sailed any of the Carnival Family of Ship, you are automatically a 'repeater' on all Carnival cruise lines.

You will NOT have the days sailed on any other cruise line credited to any line but the one on which you sailed but you will be invited to the Mariners Brunch which is held on sea day at end of cruise and at that brunch is where you (usually) will receive your tile.

OK, I have a Mariner number already, so I thought I would get the tile. It's OK, though. Just a little souvenir. I was going to put it on the wall with a photo from the cruise. We have photos and things hanging on all the walls in our house from everywhere we've been.

I'll just have to book another DAM cruise to get it, I guess! :D