Sun protection for fair skinned cruisers

Artemis908

Hello,

It seems like every time I go on a cruise I get sunburn. I apply sun screen over and over again, it's usually a pretty high SPF (70+) and I just don't know what I am doing wrong.

On our Bermuda cruise I got sun burn so bad I think I had sun poisoning and felt so weak and dehydrated I couldn't leave our cabin for most of the day, even to go on one of our excursions.

Last cruise I tried really hard to be safe, we spent all day on the beach and I sat under an umbrella and applied and reapplied lotion sun screen, but still got sun burn. Again, it left me feeling fatigued.

Does anyone have any advice? I enjoy the sun, I do get a tan AFTER the burn, but I just don't what I am doing wrong.

Are you drinking a ton of water? It sounds like part of your problem might be dehydration.

Use and reapply sun block every hour. Wear UV protection clothing. Don't forget your head. The sun reflects off the water, so even being under an umbrella might not be enough.

I recently bought a swim tee from Land's End. I brought it with my on my cruise last week and wore it over my clothes on port days. I didn't apply sunscreen to my arms. The shirt worked great. It is nylon, light weight and blocks the sun. You can also wear it in the water or just as a normal long sleeved shirt. I sit in the shade by the pool area so I didn't wear it on the ship. Another woman on the ship had one and she sat in the sun by the pool. It's great to have just walking around or on day trips. I also have a hat that has sun protection. Being covered works better than any sunscreen. Sunscreen wears off.

If you go the sunscreen route - be sure it is a broad spectrum UVA & UVB sunscreen and apply hourly.

Absolutely wear a hat.

There are plenty of cute rash guards/swim shirts out there. There are also just plan ole' shirts with SPF protection out there, too. Columbia, Ex-Officio, REI are some with SPF… For rashguards, I always like the ones by Athleta. The spring collections is starting to come out. They have more SPF50+ "normal" shirts and coverups this year along with new SPF50+ swim capris and swim leggings. They have a new one-piece rashguard this year that looks pretty intriguing!

Make sure you apply your sunscreen in advance of going out (15 minutes). Make sure you use ENOUGH sunscreen (I know that's where I fail).

The derms have lots of other good advice:

http://www.aad.org/media-resources/stats-and-facts/prevention-and-care/sunscreens

I did a week long sailing trip in the BVIs last summer and my officemates were shocked when I came back without a tan (well, I had a tiny bit of one - but not at all what you'd expect from being outside in the sun 15 hrs a day on a sailboat, snorkeling etc. I wore a sunhat (from Outdoor Research), a swim tee or other covering most of the time, and LOTS of broad spectrum sunscreen SPF 70 reapplied regularly....

Good luck!

Hopefully wearing extra protective clothing will help. I read an article that said if you aren't applying enough sunscreen, it cuts the SPF number you are using down considerably so be generous. Are you on any photosensitive medications? And also, even if you are taking in enough water, the dehydration feeling may be because of a lack of salt in your body. Just something to consider.

OP, I feel your pain! I'm the palest person I know and I might as well surrender the second I walk outside if it's sunny, especially in the summer. I, too, use the higher SPF broad spectrum formulas and have found that Coppertone's 100+ Water Babies (don't judge) works very well for me. A side note? NEVER, EVER use spray-on sunscreen! It's handy and saves you from a greasy mess on your hands but I have never found it to be effective. I sprayed it all over my arms and legs while kayaking in Florida last year but one hour later, I was burnt to a crisp. I even rubbed it in to ensure it was on. Never again!

One question if any PP would like to help me out: what sunscreens do you recommend that aren't greasy? I always slather sunscreen on regularly since I burn so easily but it feels like slime caked on my arms and legs. Any suggestions?

Edited by iheartmarshall

I am ghostly pale as well, and last December I did my first Caribbean cruise. I even sat in the sun for quite a while with just a bathing suit on. I used Ocean Potion 30 SPF and got very very slightly tan, with one small spot on my thigh that burned slightly - I must have missed that spot. Love OP and it never felt greasy.

I am very fair with naturally white coloured skin. As a child I burned and blistered many times.

Some years ago we discovered a range in the USA called Bullfrog, and I now buy it in the UK via Amazon. The best one for me is their fine mist continual spray, it is factor 35 and very easy to use, stays on in water and best of all I don't burn!

They make a specific water resistant product too which is good for children, I think that is factor 50.

It was explained to me how it is so effective is that the minute metallic particles in the spray reflect back the sun, but with that sort of chemical content I wouldn't use it for more than a couple of weeks' at a time!

Without protection my skin burns within 15 mins, with Bullfrog I can swim, sunbathe etc for several hours and go a gentle golden colour.

I think perhaps you are also getting dehydrated, I would plan on doubling your fluid intake.

I am ghostly pale as well, and last December I did my first Caribbean cruise. I even sat in the sun for quite a while with just a bathing suit on. I used Ocean Potion 30 SPF and got very very slightly tan, with one small spot on my thigh that burned slightly - I must have missed that spot. Love OP and it never felt greasy.

I love Ocean Potion! I went to school with the guy that developed it here in my hometown!!! :D (Please forgive a little hometown pride!:o)

http://www.oceanpotion.com/about.html

Yes...you have to apply 1 oz (a shot glass full!) 30 mins. prior to going into the sun (so the sunscreen has time to affix to your skin and protect you), and then every 2 hours or if you towel off....waterproof is NOT towel proof!

You are wasting money buying anything over 30 spf....the increase in cost isn't reflected in increased protection!

Also, wear a hat, and clothing with an SPF rating!

Edited by cb at sea

For me:

-zinc-oxide based sunblock - I've always burned super easily through chemical based sun creams - re-apply often, even if it isn't sunny outside.

-don't forget that your lips can burn too

-hydrate, hydrate, hydrate

-SPF50 long sleeve rash guard

-large brim hat and sunglasses

Guest maddycat

I'm very fair with extremely sensitive skin. My dermatologist recommended that I use Neutrogena. I use Neutrogena Ultra Sheer Dry Touch Sunscreen, Broad Spectrum SPF 45. It's very lightweight, non-greasy. I use it on our Caribbean cruises when I walk around the islands. When I'm on the ship I stay out of the sun. I'm very pleased with it..........no more burning.

I am the same way. I have just learned that I have to be under an umbrella at the beach. I use Neutrogena products and they usually work for me…I rarely get a sunburn anymore at home, but I have found that the sun is much stronger when I'm on vacation. Cover up and stay in the shade as much as you can!

I have also gotten sun poisoning in the past…I almost went to the ER. Probably should have. It was horrible…I'm sure part of it was dehydration, but there was a lot more to it than that. It didn't last long, but it was one of the worst illnesses I have ever had.

I am "fish belly white", and I use Neutragena SPF 100+ or 110. I make sure it's been on for at least 20 minutes before I go out. I do not use a large amount, but make sure I've covered myself compltely in the exposed areas. I also reapply over the bridge of my nose and cheeks later on.

I also use a visor or sun hat to keep my face in the shade.

I usually get some redness anyway, but I also use Dermalogica After Sun Repair:

http://www.dermalogica.com/after-sun-repair/82,default,pd.html?utm_medium=cpc&utm_source=bing&utm_term=dermalogica%20after%20sun%20repair

This stuff is pretty amazing, and I get it either on ebay or amazon.

Sunscreen isn't tested. At least in the USA, it isn't tested. This means that a company can declare whatever SPF they want to declare and there is no accountability for whether or not this is accurate or not. There is regulation in place regarding whether or not various ingredients are purported to be effective and safe for the purposes of sun protection...but not in place to test whether or not a product's formula will actually do the job that they are saying it will do.

So you need to purchase a product from a reputable company. Or from a country (like Australia) that actually tests the products.

I had a dermatologist tell me that to buy anything above 15 SPF is to just put more chemicals on your body...it doesn't really you buy you that much more to get that extra SPF. I admit that this was back in the day when 45 SPF was the highest you could get...

Look at the ingredients and see if they are adequate for the job. Others have mentioned that you want UVA and UVB protection.

Know that there are two types of sunscreens. Chemical and physical. A physical type of sunscreen forms a barrier between your exposed skin and the sun. For applied sunscreen, this generally means zinc oxide and titanium dioxide. These physical sunscreens actually reflect the sun's rays away from your skin. Chemical sunscreens are all the other "active ingredients" listed on the label. Most of them absorb the sun's rays so that the sun doesn't affect the skin cells.

If you apply a physical sunscreen, it is effect immediately. A chemical sunscreen requires 20-30 minutes to be effective.

You need to apply enough sunscreen so that your entire exposed skin has a film of sunscreen on it. NO little bit uncovered. You have to picture your body like a cake...and the sunscreen is like the frosting or icing on that cake...you want to cover every last crumb so that you can't even see the cake underneath...this is how you apply sunscreen. The now often touted 1 oz of sunscreen is a general rule that is adjusted depending on how much skin in exposed and how much surface of skin you own. The idea is complete and total coverage.

You might need to do a little research into the active sunscreens in your formula. You need a decent % of a physical sunscreen to be effective. AND you may need to have the proper % and COMBINATION of chemical sunscreens to be effective. Of all things...the idea is whether or not the chemical sunscreen is photostable...that is...how does sunlight affect the chemical. Some chemicals degrade when exposed to sunlight...for example avobenzone degrades rapidly when exposed to sunlight...however, when avobenzone is combined with another chemical, like octocrylene, it is photostable. So check out the formula that you are using to be sure that it is sufficient in % and photostable.

My family has had great success with the Blue Lizard brand of products. My DH is a redhead...I am very fair...and DS inherited the double dose. I can admit that we have had some instances of burning...that is...those places where you can literally see the outline of our fingers that rubbed in the lotion around various body parts...if we missed a spot...you could tell. Having gotten better and better over the years at "piling it on" we have managed to spend all day in the sun without any burns.

We do wear rash guards. And find shade as necessary. And do other physical things to protect ourselves...but I swear by Blue Lizard. My parents used it on their TransPacific cruise (they are also very fair) and didn't burn at all.

Sunscreen isn't tested. At least in the USA, it isn't tested. This means that a company can declare whatever SPF they want to declare and there is no accountability for whether or not this is accurate or not. There is regulation in place regarding whether or not various ingredients are purported to be effective and safe for the purposes of sun protection...but not in place to test whether or not a product's formula will actually do the job that they are saying it will do.

So you need to purchase a product from a reputable company. Or from a country (like Australia) that actually tests the products.

I had a dermatologist tell me that to buy anything above 15 SPF is to just put more chemicals on your body...it doesn't really you buy you that much more to get that extra SPF. I admit that this was back in the day when 45 SPF was the highest you could get...

Look at the ingredients and see if they are adequate for the job. Others have mentioned that you want UVA and UVB protection.

Know that there are two types of sunscreens. Chemical and physical. A physical type of sunscreen forms a barrier between your exposed skin and the sun. For applied sunscreen, this generally means zinc oxide and titanium dioxide. These physical sunscreens actually reflect the sun's rays away from your skin. Chemical sunscreens are all the other "active ingredients" listed on the label. Most of them absorb the sun's rays so that the sun doesn't affect the skin cells.

If you apply a physical sunscreen, it is effect immediately. A chemical sunscreen requires 20-30 minutes to be effective.

You need to apply enough sunscreen so that your entire exposed skin has a film of sunscreen on it. NO little bit uncovered. You have to picture your body like a cake...and the sunscreen is like the frosting or icing on that cake...you want to cover every last crumb so that you can't even see the cake underneath...this is how you apply sunscreen. The now often touted 1 oz of sunscreen is a general rule that is adjusted depending on how much skin in exposed and how much surface of skin you own. The idea is complete and total coverage.

You might need to do a little research into the active sunscreens in your formula. You need a decent % of a physical sunscreen to be effective. AND you may need to have the proper % and COMBINATION of chemical sunscreens to be effective. Of all things...the idea is whether or not the chemical sunscreen is photostable...that is...how does sunlight affect the chemical. Some chemicals degrade when exposed to sunlight...for example avobenzone degrades rapidly when exposed to sunlight...however, when avobenzone is combined with another chemical, like octocrylene, it is photostable. So check out the formula that you are using to be sure that it is sufficient in % and photostable.

My family has had great success with the Blue Lizard brand of products. My DH is a redhead...I am very fair...and DS inherited the double dose. I can admit that we have had some instances of burning...that is...those places where you can literally see the outline of our fingers that rubbed in the lotion around various body parts...if we missed a spot...you could tell. Having gotten better and better over the years at "piling it on" we have managed to spend all day in the sun without any burns.

We do wear rash guards. And find shade as necessary. And do other physical things to protect ourselves...but I swear by Blue Lizard. My parents used it on their TransPacific cruise (they are also very fair) and didn't burn at all.

I am a living, breathing guinea pig for sunscreens, then, I started wearing sunscreen in the mid 1970's. I have fair and sensitive skin. I gradually increased the SPF because the lower numbers weren't giving me enough protection. The Neutrogena product line has always been my favorite.

Over the years the products have become less harsh and easier on my skin, especially my face. I started with SPF 100+ about 5 years ago, and my forearms and the backs of my hands have not developed any new age spots. I also use retinol-A, and after our next long and hot cruises, I will go get some laser work done on them.

So, with 40 years of using sunscreens with no ill effects, and with the last 5 years at a "skin standstill", I'll just keep on-keeping on.

I just know below SPF 90 I still reddened and spotted; above that I don't.

There are plenty of cute rash guards/swim shirts out there. There are also just plan ole' shirts with SPF protection out there, too. Columbia, Ex-Officio, REI are some with SPF… For rashguards, I always like the ones by Athleta. The spring collections is starting to come out. They have more SPF50+ "normal" shirts and coverups this year along with new SPF50+ swim capris and swim leggings. They have a new one-piece rashguard this year that looks pretty intriguing!

I didn't think to check Athleta! Thanks for the rec.

• 2 months later...
I agree with the UV protection clothing. One source, though not cheap, is Coolibar.com It's as cute, if cute can be used here, as SPF clothing gets, but the idea is to protect your skin now and for years to come.

As of May 28, 2014 there is a Coolibar coupon code MEM10W that is good for 10% off your entire order plus free shipping (although I usually choose standard=free anyway shipping). Was re-ordering the spouse's favorite pair of lightweight travel pants that I left in the hotel in Guadalajara this winter. Not sure how long the code will last.

We have used both Coolibar and Solumbra (Sun Precautions) SPF clothing, both have been effective for us. Solumbra tends to be pricier and has more "city" options. I react to sunscreen - seriously, how silly is that? Last year my new dermatologist said he's impressed with how well I protect my (quite fair) skin, so hats, gloves and SPF clothing can work!

Apologies for re-activating a 2 month old thread, but seemed a better idea than starting a new one :)