Dress code- refresh my memory

JenCruisesAgain

Smart Casual

Passenger attire should be in keeping with what they would wear to a nice restaurant at home.

• Skirts/dresses, slacks, and sweaters for ladies
  • Pants and open-neck shirts for men

Inappropriate dinner wear such as pool or beach attire, shorts, ball caps and casual jeans (with fraying and/or holes) are not permitted in the dining rooms. Shoes must be worn.

Seems pretty cut and dry, although there are quite a few on here that do not care one iota and will wear what they want since it's their vacation.

Jeans are allowed but I very rarely see them. Maybe only after a long port day when people don't have the time or energy to shower and change. Shares are still not allowed no matter how much you paid for them.

Shares....do you mean shorts?

Seems pretty cut and dry, although there are quite a few on here that do not care one iota and will wear what they want since it's their vacation.

On the Sapphire last week and week prior (B2B), we witnessed several occasions where men in shorts were stopped at the dining room entrance and not allowed in. In one case, the man argued that they were allowed on the first night, then why not tonight? He did NOT want to hear that the first night (and the last), well....sometimes the rules are bent a little after traveling and with packing completed.

We were glad to see a little more enforcement at the dining room door. Now if they would only enforce their long-standing (but possibly changed?) rule of closing the dining room doors 15 minutes after the stated seating time. PLEASE!

There were nightly occasions of passengers coming to dinner as long as 30-40 min late. Not only does that disrupt the dining room staff, but the rest of the table also. Do we wait to order, do we start? Not really, why should we, but it is awkward to be enjoying a main course while they are looking at a menu.

One night a couple was allowed in 45 min after the seating time! :mad:They were at our table, and we were enjoying dessert. Rude, but passengers will continue to wander in unless the 15-minute rule is enforced. Then they'd get there in time. Or how about going with Anytime Dining instead?

Please Princess, enforce that as well.

(....stepping off my soapbox now...) :D

What's the current acceptable dress code for the dining room for non-formal nights? As I recall, no shorts or jeans are acceptable. Is that still the case?

It's as you remember in the MDR on non-formal nights (Smart Casual) except jeans in good condition are allowed.

You can wear Smart Casual to the specialty restaurants any nights including formal.

LuLu

~~~

Fairsky, I agree 100% with the dining time. Some think it's merely a suggestion. :( After ten minutes or so, I tell my waitstaff that the missing people are not coming as I see no reason to wait.

What I have seen happen multiple times is that when the latecomers do show up and order, service for the rest of the table slows down (stops actually) until the latecomers have caught up to the point in the meal the ontime people are at.

What I have seen happen multiple times is that when the latecomers do show up and order, service for the rest of the table slows down (stops actually) until the latecomers have caught up to the point in the meal the ontime people are at.

That isn't very fair! Usually there's something we want to catch after dinner and if we were on time we shouldn't be delayed because others weren't. One of my pet peeves is punctuality. I'm always early for everything cause I hate being late.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Pass the popcorn and sit back and enjoy. Please get this one deleted like you got the other one.

Table for two please.

That isn't very fair! Usually there's something we want to catch after dinner and if we were on time we shouldn't be delayed because others weren't. One of my pet peeves is punctuality. I'm always early for everything cause I hate being late.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Then all who have eaten should politely get up and leave. Why miss your show.

On the Sapphire last week and week prior (B2B), we witnessed several occasions where men in shorts were stopped at the dining room entrance and not allowed in. In one case, the man argued that they were allowed on the first night, then why not tonight? He did NOT want to hear that the first night (and the last), well....sometimes the rules are bent a little after traveling and with packing completed.

We were glad to see a little more enforcement at the dining room door. Now if they would only enforce their long-standing (but possibly changed?) rule of closing the dining room doors 15 minutes after the stated seating time. PLEASE!

There were nightly occasions of passengers coming to dinner as long as 30-40 min late. Not only does that disrupt the dining room staff, but the rest of the table also. Do we wait to order, do we start? Not really, why should we, but it is awkward to be enjoying a main course while they are looking at a menu.

One night a couple was allowed in 45 min after the seating time! :mad:They were at our table, and we were enjoying dessert. Rude, but passengers will continue to wander in unless the 15-minute rule is enforced. Then they'd get there in time. Or how about going with Anytime Dining instead?

Please Princess, enforce that as well.

(....stepping off my soapbox now...) :D

And accept my applause for your oration. If a group arrives late at the tradition MDR and the door is already closed, maybe that will send a signal to be on time. It does affect the service at your table and the surrounding tables served by the same waitstaff.

In fact, the one time we got stuck with anytime dining (due to not clearing the waitlist), there were a couple of times we were seated with others who have already ordered. We noticed that it made it a bit awkward for everyone involved. And this was on a cruise on which 200 passengers (that we know of; could have been more) didn't make it onboard because of their flight getting to LA too late. So I don't think that was a matter of not having any tables available, but more the way the head waiter was sitting passengers. We certainly didn't mind sharing a table, but we feel it would have been better to sit a table's worth of passenger at the same time rather than staggering the seatings.

As for dress code, it is listed on the Princess website. If you want to stay in shorts, there are many places on board to get dinner, other than the main dining room, so I don't get why this is not followed by some head waiters and passengers. And it really isn't hard to put on a tropical shirt (like my hubby wears when we go out to eat at most places around here) or a sun dress. I did wear jeans for the first time to a cruise ship dinner, but this pair was a black, skinny type that looked great (and normally I wouldn't say that about when I wear jeans:o). If the dress code had said no jeans, it wouldn't have bothered me and I would wear a skirt or something like this if going to the MDR.

Again, there is a ton of info on the Princess website that is actually current and right.

Witnessed the same on the Sapphire this past week, however 1 table each night had the same family. White undershirts worn by the father and 2 teens, along with sweat pants and jeans at the knees. Even on formal night. :mad:

It was pretty disgusting.