Now is the time to be concerned...

baggal

I was hoping to avoid posting on this thread until after we saw the response by the different countries to Sunday's vote in Crimea, but I wanted to compliment Tiggerr for post 159 in which he articulated better than I have the concerns with a very different Baltic itinerary.

And thanks to MavisMarie for the travel alert, which I had not previously seen. Just as the issues in the Ukraine are causing anti-Russian sentiment in the US, I have to think that those events are impacting public opinion in Russia. Indeed, I think a reason that Putin is doing what he is doing is to favorably affect from his standpoint public opinion in Russia.

If tensions grow and substantial sanctions are imposed, there will be the question of whether, with regard to a pleasant visit to SPB, this is the right time to go, even if Russia does not impose a ban on visitors from certain countries and travel to Russia is technically possible.

We did a tour with Vantage that included Kiev, then Moscow, then river cruise to STP, then tour of STP, then bus tour of the three Baltic countries.

We found the people in all five countries to be very friendly and many very open with us about political and historically important events.

The Ukrainians we met were very pro-independence, but disillusioned about all their political leaders. We had an evening meal with a woman and her daughter. We heard all about how oppressive and frightening the KGB was under the Soviet Union. We heard about how the Soviet Government allowed a May Day Parade with thousands of people to continue just days after the Chernobyl incident, where radiation had spread over much of eastern Europe.

In Russia, we found people divided about Putin. Some liked him, some did not. We found little evidence that Communism was in favor, except among the elderly. Also, the only anti-Americanism we encountered was on the Russian state Television (they had an English station). Our guides said that the government pushed a lot of anti-American propaganda.

In the Baltic states, the guides and people we met were so happy to be independent and members of the EU and NATO (and NOT under Russia or the Soviets).

We loved Russia, with it rich culture, friendly people and wonderful sights. Also, the vodka was cheap.

I hope that Russia doesn't invade Ukraine, because most of the Ukrainians will fight back and the war will go on for a while. Many will die.

I think cruises to STP will stay open to Westerners and Americans, unless Ukraine is invaded. We shall see.

Sec. Kerry said the "magic words" on Meet The Press today:

Because Russia is inviting opprobrium on the international stage. There could even be ultimately asset freezes, visa bans. There could be certainly a disruption of any of the normal [/b]trade routine, and there could be business drawback on investment in the country

I have no idea what cruise lines would do in the event they couldn't spend three days in St. Petersburg. I know that, as one poster pointed out, the ships are not US flagged, but pax need some sort of Russian tourist visa to disembark. So, the ships could dock, but only certain nationalities could be allowed off. This is a potential real mess for the cruise lines. We're booked for Russia in July, but it's a land tour and, if our visas are refused, our travel insurance should cover us as that is the only stop on the tour.

In reference to a "Visa Ban". The visa's for Russia are issued by Russia, I don't see how the US can control who can enter another country. Cuba being another story.

The US issued sanctions today on approximately 20 individuals according to npr.

When asked about Iran like sanctions, the panel said it would be unlikely. But again, those are all economic sanctions.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

In reference to a "Visa Ban". The visa's for Russia are issued by Russia, I don't see how the US can control who can enter another country. Cuba being another story.

Should conditions deteriorate to such a condition, the US could indeed ban travel to Russia, just like to Cuba. However, I don't see the situation getting that bad with Russia.

Edited by RJ2002

Should conditions deteriorate to such a condition, the US could indeed ban travel to Russia, just like to Cuba. However, I don't see the situation getting that bad with Russia.

Yes you can't travel from the US to Cuba but you can from Canada

And we are not cruising from the US we are going from the UK

that is where you should be looking at.

As I understand the ban regarding Americans and Cuba, the law is that we can't spend money in Cuba.

I doubt if the US would try such a ban regarding Russia, but certainly that is possible.

With the Castros getting up in age, I don't expect them to live much longer. Once they are gone, expect changes in Cuba.

We visited Hungary, Yugoslavia, Czechoslovakia, the DDR and Poland while the Communists were still in power and it was interested, but rather depressing. Now those countries are doing so much better and their standard of living has risen dramatically.

Looking forward to that happening in Cuba.

From the New York Times just posted a few minutes ago, they noted: "European officials approved their own sanctions on Monday, targeting 21 individuals. Their list overlapped to some extent with the American list, according to Obama administration officials; however, the names will not be released until Tuesday." Full story at:

http://www.nytimes.com/2014/03/18/world/europe/us-imposes-new-sanctions-on-russian-officials.html?hp

Still seems like pretty narrow, targeted, token "action". In my view, that shows that nothing too strong or dramatic will be happening that is likely to shut down cruise ship visits to St. Petersburg later this spring and summer. Just my guess and sense for the way that things are going right now. Lots of "talk" and posturing.

THANKS! Enjoy! Terry in Ohio

Just back from doing a 14-day Celebrity Solstice, Jan. 20-Feb. 3, 2014, Sydney to Auckland adventure on this ship and getting a big sampling for the wonders of "down under” before and after this cruise. Go to:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1974139

for much more information and lots of wonderful pictures on these amazing sights in this great part of the world. Now at 43,788 views for this fun posting.

The way I look at it, I am on the Baltic cruise so my mother can full fill her life long dream to see the Scandinavian countries. We will have done that so anything else is a bonus. Whether or not we go to St Petersburg is not something I can control as I can only go where the ship goes so I don't worry about it.

The annexation of Crimea seems imminent.

The questions are what is the extent of sanctions and other actions to be taken by the US and Europe, what will Russia do in response, and where will the escalating moves and counter-moves end; and whether Russia will send troops in or seek to annex any other part of the Ukraine.

If the latter, all bets are off as far as visits to Russian ports.

And regarding Black Sea cruises, I have to think that the cruise lines are receiving cancellations and few new reservations despite greatly reduced pricing.

Celebrity just put this notice up on their website:

Travel Alert - Ukraine

Celebrity Cruises is closely monitoring the situation in the Ukraine. Currently, we have not made any changes to itineraries that include port calls to the area. The safety and security of our guests and crew members is always our number one priority. Should we make any modifications to upcoming itineraries, we will contact all guests or their travel agents.

This doesn't:rolleyes: really say anything but it might be better than nothing...?

Celebrity just put this notice up on their website:

Travel Alert - Ukraine

Celebrity Cruises is closely monitoring the situation in the Ukraine. Currently, we have not made any changes to itineraries that include port calls to the area. The safety and security of our guests and crew members is always our number one priority. Should we make any modifications to upcoming itineraries, we will contact all guests or their travel agents.

This doesn't:rolleyes: really say anything but it might be better than nothing...?

Well, at least one of the lines is addressing it...well, kind of. I think there is still a few months for the Black Sea itineraries, but that doesn't help those who made final payment already.

I wonder what they will do with those black sea cruises...turn them into Greek isles cruises? Dropping Ukraine from those itineraries pretty much kills most of the itinerary.

Well, at least one of the lines is addressing it...well, kind of. I think there is still a few months for the Black Sea itineraries, but that doesn't help those who made final payment already.

I wonder what they will do with those black sea cruises...turn them into Greek isles cruises? Dropping Ukraine from those itineraries pretty much kills most of the itinerary.

Well, there are a few other "interesting" ports in the Black Sea area.

Seriously? People still want to go to Russia and support them with money when they annex a part of another country? Now its time to show some spine.

Agree,

I wonder when Russia will stop, there are millions of Russian nationality in all the former Soviet Republics.