Arison to Sell Ten Million Shares of Carnival Stock

yogimax

Micky Arison will be selling ten million shares of Carnival stock. That's roughly $385,000,000. Not bad considering all the problems Carnival and Costa have recently had.

If you own Carnival stock, you have to ask yourself some questions. Yes the news story I linked below says it's for tax and other purposes, but it still gives a sense that Micky is not thrilled with the company's future.

Add to that the recent stories of thousands of free cruises being given to fill cabins and I see a real red flag. Caveat Emptor!

http://articles.sun-sentinel.com/2014-02-28/business/fl-arison-sells-carnival-shares-20140228_1_carnival-cruise-micky-arison-largest-cruise-company

Those are most likly "Options" that he received a few years ago that he must act on.

Wrong. Even if the majority of them were option based, he still could hold on to them if he thought the stock were going higher.

Micky Arison will be selling ten million shares of Carnival stock. That's roughly $385,000,000. Not bad considering all the problems Carnival and Costa have recently had.

If you own Carnival stock, you have to ask yourself some questions. Yes the news story I linked below says it's for tax and other purposes, but it still gives a sense that Micky is not thrilled with the company's future.

Add to that the recent stories of thousands of free cruises being given to fill cabins and I see a real red flag. Caveat Emptor!

http://articles.sun-sentinel.com/2014-02-28/business/fl-arison-sells-carnival-shares-20140228_1_carnival-cruise-micky-arison-largest-cruise-company

I think you are reading too much into this. Executives always sell shares for a variety of reasons. In this case it happens to be for taxes, estate planning, and other reasons.

Trust me when I say Carnival is not going any where and the article in no way implies this. Where did you see that?

I was holding out for $28 per share when the price was around $30, mainly because Carnival isn't a long term growth stock.

I should have loosened my wallet a little, apparently. It would have been a great profit taking opportunity.

Based on performance over the past five years, the stock has been ridiculously high recently, tickling the $40 per share mark. There is no way that I would hold it if I had it. Time to grab profits.

I don't know if and when it will hit the $30 mark again, but believe it will. Maybe it will be set off by another Carnival screw up and media feeding frenzy, maybe a bad quarterly report, maybe a stock market correction. But the stock has no staying power.

Edited by larkz

Wrong. Even if the majority of them were option based, he still could hold on to them if he thought the stock were going higher.

Wrong

You can't hold on to options forever.

The sky is not falling.

Wrong

You can't hold on to options forever.

The sky is not falling.

You are partially correct.

Options do indeed have an expiration.

HOWEVER, there is nothing that says you have to sell the stock after exercising the option.

Not sure what is more crazy, giving investment advice on a message board that is a forum to discuss cruises of a mass market cruise line where one can cruise for a week on a several 100 buck budget....or Taking investment advice from a message board that is a forum to discuss cruises of a mass market cruise line where one can cruise for a week on a several 100 buck budget.

This is going higher.....that is going lower....jump on the rocket ship....to the moon we go....this stock is hot.......all aboard.......Short this stock and you will be golden.....yada yada yada....

If these posters knew as much as they say they do about where stocks are going, they wouldn't be hanging around on cruisecritc carnival boards.

Edited by Tutankhamen

Not sure what is more crazy, giving investment advice on a message board that is a forum to discuss cruises of a mass market cruise line where one can cruise for a week on a several 100 buck budget....or Taking investment advice from a message board that is a forum to discuss cruises of a mass market cruise line where one can cruise for a week on a several 100 buck budget.

This is going higher.....that is going lower....jump on the rocket ship....to the moon we go....this stock is hot.......all aboard.......Short this stock and you will be golden.....yada yada yada....

If these posters knew as much as they say they do about where stocks are going, they wouldn't be hanging around on cruisecritc carnival boards.

Lots of yada yada yada around here all worth zip zip zip. ;)

Tutankhamen,

The most sound investment advice ever to be offered or taken is 'Buy what you know.' CC members are well informed and in most cases customers of CCL.

Do you think any analysis of a stock would be deemed complete if it did not include a review of forums such as this to look for current perception, future expectations, and potential pitfalls?

Granted most CC members are NOT stock experts nor will they ever reap a fortune in the stock market, but outside of an actual professional 'analyst' where would a better place be to seek such advice? Personally I don't assume a professional analyst knows more nor even as much as several CC members.

Your very jaded view continues I see. Name one publicly traded company where this is not a common occurence. It is part of big business and foretells nothing of future events.

You don't read the finance section much do you?

zuckerberg sold a few billions worth of shares, bill gates sells billions of shares a year and etc.. this is normal operating procedure.

Execs and owners selling stock are irrelevant , what you should be more concerned with is insider selling and movement of large funds and their positions.

Edited by gilboman

Just remember that the sale of ten million shares, even if done at a million at a time or in a negotiated deal, will depress the stock price.

not really when there's 800+ million outstanding shares:rolleyes:

Edited by gilboman

Needs money to resign Lebron James this off season and bring in another big named talent

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

Doesn't this work both ways. If Micky Arison is willing to sell 10,000,000 shares for about $385,000,000 then that means some one or some thing is willing to buy 10,000,000 shares for $385,000,000. Who or what ever is buying these shares must think this is a good deal. Funny how some many only look at the negative side. Then the optimists come in and even it out.

Glad I got that all straightened out. Feel free to call on me again.

You don't read the finance section much do you?

zuckerberg sold a few billions worth of shares, bill gates sells billions of shares a year and etc.. this is normal operating procedure.

Execs and owners selling stock are irrelevant , what you should be more concerned with is insider selling and movement of large funds and their positions.

Execs are insiders!

not really when there's 800+ million outstanding shares:rolleyes:

Love the sarcastic smile!:)

As an expert, you must know that the average daily trading volume of CCL is about 4 million shares.

Very simply, that means Arison's shares will cause a 2 1/2 day overhang of the stock.

Doesn't this work both ways. If Micky Arison is willing to sell 10,000,000 shares for about $385,000,000 then that means some one or some thing is willing to buy 10,000,000 shares for $385,000,000.

Nope, doesn't work that way. Let's say Arison wants to get 38 1/2 for his shares.

As a buyer, I may be willing to buy the shares, but not at 38 1/2. Maybe, I'm willing to pay 37.

With a huge number of shares being offered, the price will tend to drop due to supply and demand.

Oops, missed 9:30 stock opening!