Is this cutting in line?!?

yvet

Okay let me first start by telling that this is a legit question not to stirr the pots...

Please if you respond do it with respect towards yourself and others.

And if you can't please just din't respond.....

I'm wondering if you would consider this cutting in line??

When i enter the room of a buffet i start at the end of the line and work my way thru till the end of the buffet with the same people in front and back to me as i started the line.

Now somewhere halfway the buffet are the fries (for example) and after i'm finished round 1 i only would like to have a bit more fries.

If i go to the halfway point (where the fries are) abd i say to somebody in the line excuse me and i grab some fries and i'm out of the way.

Is this considered cutting in line?!?

If you say no this is no cutting in line, when would it be cutting in line? If i also grab at 3/4 way thru a roll?? Or when i do it 3 times in a row??

It happens a lot that after round 1 i only want 1 or 2 thibgs again and i'm always excusing myself and don't elbow my way in....

Thanks!!!

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

if it is one continuous station then yes it is cutting in line.

if it is broken up into several areas where each one is relatively smallish it is still cutting in line.

going back to grab a butter pat or condiment or utensil located on the ends is fine.

anything else is butting in ahead of someone else.

If all you wanted is french fries, I see no reason in going to the fries. I do it all the time when I'm picking and choosing things off different lines. As an example, breakfast sausage and then go get some rolls then off for a waffle. I don't see a problem. Like you I just make a comment, just grabbing this... Again JMO, but never had an issue.

It depends on the perspective of the people in the line at the time.

1. Is it "cutting" in a "black and white" manners sort of way? YES...every time.

HOWEVER...

2. If the line was flowing, I would be the first to invite you in with a smile, hoping it didn't bother the people behind me.

BUT...

3. If it was a long line and I had been standing in it for 20 minutes as portions of my lunch get cold, and look up to find people diving in and out of the line...then, yeah. I would mind.

Not a black and white answer; but I hope it helps.

I agree with those who said that if you are just doing a quick grab of one item, it's ok to smile politely and do that, especially if the other people in the line are waiting for something ahead and not the particular item you are going for.

I find that on RCI ships, the buffet is broken up into stations, so one long line doesn't usually form and there are spots naturally break into.

I would agree, it's cutting in line, but I also know what you mean, you just want a few things. That's why I like the way the WJ is set up on FOS (my only Royal cruise so don't know if they are all that way). With 4 small sides to each area, rather than 1 big long counter (except when you first enter) you can go to the side you want food from and not wait a long time. Some may still see that as cutting, but I don't see a specific start place there that you would have to wait for everyone to circle around - maybe at the plates, but if you already have a plate.....I didn't have any problems or see any happen when we were there. Just reading spookwife and I guess we are referring to the same small areas, but without a designated "start" place people were just walking up and starting at whatever side they wanted to, but being very respectful.

If there is a large gap in the line at the fry dish…no problem

If I were waiting for fries and standing behind someone who is getting fries and when they put down the tongs you grabbed them and gather your fries….it is definitely rude and breaking in line (with or without your smile and "excuse me").

Edited by beachnative

I say it's cutting in line if there is an actual LINE. If there is a gap in the line from someone taking their time scooping some mashed potatoes before the french fries, jump right in, but get right back out!

I never found much of a problem with long lines on Royal because their stations are broken up and short, so it's not just one huge line that goes through the entire buffet. Even on embarkation day, I spend more time trying to find a table than I do waiting in line for food!

To those who want line policies strictly enforced, I am sorry. I think the facts make a big difference. As others have said, if the buffet is broken into stations [one thing I really like about RCI], the line forms at each station -- no need to wait for someone coming from another station. At any particular station, if someone is taking a long time [waiting for something like an omelet for example] and creating a gap ahead of them, I am not averse to moving ahead if it can be done without causing the people I am passing to have to wait. If there is a huge line an I only want one thing, I have no problem approaching, excusing myself and asking if they mind if I grab that one thing.

It is hard to generate hard and fast rules. Some times you just have to be there. It is about cooperation and being polite. If we make allowances for others, we can all get through the line a lot faster.

This is actually a great topic to discuss. I have found myself many times in the quandry.

I have noticed that people move at different speeds and urgency when going through a buffet line. Some people like to take their time, look at everything, maybe take a little of everything, try to figure out what it is, etc. While others just like to move through much faster and get on with eating.

I fall in to the second category. So, having said that, I usually take one quick trip around the buffet, peering over people's shoulder- but not too close to them out of respect for their space-just to get an idea what is being offered. Then, I grab my plate start at the end of the line like a good boy and, if it moves fast, I just move along with it. If it starts to bog down, I am at a point where I don't want anything in my current section bad enough to wait and I notice a sizeable gap in the line, I just fill in the gap and keep it moving. IMHO this is okay to do. And I expect others to pass me by if they find themsleves behind me and I am holding up the line.

As for the return trip. I will typically take the same philosophy with the exception of starting at the end of the line. I go to the area where the items are that I want and look for a large gap in the line, grab what I want and am gone. If there isn't a gap, then I ask politely if I can sneak in for just that one item. I guess I figure if you had to wait in the full line everytime then there would be some sort of barricade to prevent me from getting in at any point.

What I think is not okay is to cut in line and then hold the line up. There are some people who see a gap, cut in and then proceed to take their own sweet time like they are the only ones in the place. To me that is disrespectful to others. If I fill in a gap, I still make sure to move along as fast as possible so others aren't detained by my decision.

Seems reasonable to me but I have often felt like maybe I was cheating the system. However, I have never really thought to ask anyone else so I am glad you started this thread. Maybe I will learn from others opinions, I most likely won't change my ways but at least I will have a clarity on when I am breaking the "unwritten rules" :D

If you are grabbing a single item and then leaving the line, I think that's acceptable.

If you are grabbing some fries, then staying in the line through the end of buffet, I think that is "cutting".

I agree with this poster. I wouldn't mind letting someone "cut" in front of me if they only wanted the one item.

I would have no problem with this, especially if there was a gap in the line. If there is no gap and somebody asks if they can simply grab an item ahead of me, I'm fine with that too. Now if you try cutting ahead of me at the bar, we WILL have a problem!:D

I would have no problem with this, especially if there was a gap in the line. If there is no gap and somebody asks if they can simply grab an item ahead of me, I'm fine with that too. Now if you try cutting ahead of me at the bar, we WILL have a problem!:D

I agree with you on this. Funny how the rules change as the venue changes :)

Most, if not all by now, RCI ships are designed with islands in the buffet, rather than a serving line. By design, you just approach the item you want and maybe just have to wait behind 1 or 2 people. The whole line issue may not even be an issue.

if it is one continuous station then yes it is cutting in line.

if it is broken up into several areas where each one is relatively smallish it is still cutting in line.

going back to grab a butter pat or condiment or utensil located on the ends is fine.

anything else is butting in ahead of someone else.

I have to disagree, who determines the line and where it starts/ends in the Windjammer? I've seen people waiting in line behind one slow person while the rest of the station is open, then the line goes away and the next rush of people start from the other end. In my mind the only stations in the windjammer are where you pick up plates/silverware and the carving station.

I say it's cutting in line if there is an actual LINE. If there is a gap in the line from someone taking their time scooping some mashed potatoes before the french fries, jump right in, but get right back out!

This is pretty much the rule I follow. If there is a gap at the one item I want, i'll quickly grab it and move on. No gap... and I go to the back of the line and wait my turn even if I'm just after one item.

That being said, if the person in front of me is being exceptionally slow or waiting for a specific item to come out (gap of approximately 10 feet or more), I have no problem just going around them.

Quite frankly, I think the determination of whether it's cutting in line depends on the attitude of the person behind you in line when you do it!!

Personally, excusing yourself and explaining what your doing makes it totally OK in my book.

It's the rude ones that just barge into a tightly packed line without saying a word that make me want to have an "accident" with my own plate in their direction.

Edited by pcur

Quite frankly, I think the determination of whether it's cutting in line depends on the attitude of the person behind you in line when you do it!!

Personally, excusing yourself and explaining what your doing makes it totally OK in my book.

It's the rude ones that just barge into a tightly packed line without saying a word that make me want to have an "accident" with my own plate in their direction.

Agree. A simple "excuse me, I just want to grab a few fries" would be fine with most people, as long as it's done politely :)

I never mind someone who says " Excuse me" or " may I just get some..." it is the person or people that push their way in ,paying no mind to others who have been waiting.

I have done the same, if I am not interested in most of that section but want one item I will go stand outside of the line and wait for a lul in the line and then say excuse me would you mind if I just get some...

If they seem upset then I would wait, if they say go ahead then I take a scoop or piece and then get right back out of the way. Also I don't make it a habit :-)