Staying Cool Ashore

Please share your tips for staying cool, or at least comfortable, in very warm ports. There have to be others that just roast when going ashore!

Depending on the activity I dress in one of two ways:

1.) flowy dress (sometimes skirt). I find a light, breathable fabric, in a soft color always helps!

2.) short shorts and a tank

I ALWAYS prefer dresses or skirts. The only time I would not wear a dress is if I were doing something like zip lining.

I feel dresses allow air to move around and flow, not so constricting.

Typically I wear a lot of costume jewelry but it can make me feel restricted sometimes so I try not to wear it as often.

dress.jpg.a46b6b5c936a64013b468bf5f710f021.jpg

I found that, when I wear one of my ExOfficio long sleeved shirts, I am actually cooler than when I wear a tank top. It's the whole evaporative cooling process thing. The sun just beats on the skin in a tank top, while the long sleeve shirt provides a little barrier and does convert sweat to keep me cool.

Think about all those people who live in the deserts of Africa and Middle East - are they decked out in tank tops and shorts or are they covered? It really is cooling!!! Learned it in 109 degrees in Egypt in the Valley of the Kings!!!!! Long pants (a pair of North Face convertibles) and my EO shirt - I was actually very comfortable and cool.

I prefer air flow, too, but I wear loose, all-cotton capris in very warm ports. I have a large selection of chiffon tops without collars. I cut any lining out of them and wear a very lightweight and loose tank under them. This way the air can move through the garments.

Here's an example, but I cut the lining out for more "movement":

http://www.dressbarn.com/detail/plus-size-floral-cold-shoulder-chiffon-top/101469163

I have a cotton gauze long dress, but I find the air cannot get to my legs as well. That's why I like separates.

If in Caribbean, we stop in a store or restaurant or hotel or someplace air conditioned to cool off a bit when we get too warm. If we are not at a pool or beach, there is usually air conditioning available someplace near to what we are doing.

Pago Pago was THE hottest place I have ever been on a cruise. We stayed in an air conditioned cafe and did our internet stuff for over an hour, drinking diet cokes. It took about 5 minutes outside for me to get overheated again.

That's when I started rethinking my hot weather clothing for our upcoming trip.

Hottest ever for us was Panama Canal in April. The humidity was out of sight. Never were we as hot in the Caribbean despite sailing there all 12 months. We used to love HAL sailing Caribbean in summers. People with heart/breathing conditions could not go out of air conditioning.

I always wear a wide brimmed straw hat to keep the sun off my head. I also believe in light weight natural fabrics. Carry a bottle of water with you.

When it is really hot it is heavenly to return to the ship and have a HAL crew member pass you a cold damp wash cloth to wipe down your sweaty face and hands. Gotta love Hal.

I wear my hair up, a hat, and add a cool wet bandana filled with a cooling gel I purchased at a sports store. It really helps keep me cool. Also wear a cotton tank with shorts and I carry a water bottle

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Rome was sweltering with no shade. I wore a short thin chiffon dress (borrowed shawls to go inside the church but was cool for the rest of the day). It was cool, not restrictive and also very thin so stayed dry and didn't result in any nasty sweat patches!

We're going to be celebrating my retirement with a late-August-into-September Mediterranean cruise--Florence, Rome, Venice--that will also be stopping in Greece and Ephesus. I don't handle heat very well at all, but it's way too late to select a later sailing. It just occurred to me that many, if not all, those old sites are not going to be air conditioned--so no where to escape to cool down. Those of you who've been there, please tell me if I'm wrong--I'd LOVE to be wrong! I'm even thinking about carrying a little hand-held cooling fan if I can find one. So much for being fashionable! I appreciate all your suggestions. Please keep them coming--I'm reading them all!

Wide brimmed hat and a dress of some sort usually and I always carry water and sometimes even a wet face towel in a zippy that has been in the fridge. I actually have a supply from work for my sincare clients. They are a bit like what they give you when you come back on the ship or sometimes on an plane journey as a refreshing wipe, doesn't half make a difference if it is unbearably hot.

Edited by CELTICGIRLCRUISER

Oh, I forgot about my hat! I bought a wonderful white straw hat in Pago Pago, with a nice tropical flower on it. It has a white elastic chin strap that keeps the hat on when there's a (yes! yes!) breeze.

Also, I just bought one of these for our upcoming trip:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B003DGPWLK/ref=oh_details_o02_s00_i00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Very light weight, and it was recommended here on CruiseCritic somewhere. I'll have that in my bag.

I always take a small spray bottle when we travel, because I use it to moisten clothes when I unpack them to take the wrinkles out. I take that with me on hot days, too. Spraying your face and neck is wonderful, and with the little fan I imagine it will be a great little cool-off session!

I prefer air flow, too, but I wear loose, all-cotton capris in very warm ports. I have a large selection of chiffon tops without collars. I cut any lining out of them and wear a very lightweight and loose tank under them. This way the air can move through the garments.

Here's an example, but I cut the lining out for more "movement":

http://www.dressbarn.com/detail/plus-size-floral-cold-shoulder-chiffon-top/101469163

I have a cotton gauze long dress, but I find the air cannot get to my legs as well. That's why I like separates.

This is what I do too, except that we usually do excursions involving water sports so I will have my swimsuit underneath instead of underwear and I'll wear a very lightweight coverup with long sleeves. Also, I always wear a hat to keep the sun off my head, which keeps me cooler than without it. I also carry a small spray bottle filled with water and a small portable fan. And, I always bring a bottle of Fuji water (my personal fave). :)

Edited by mousey

We're going to be celebrating my retirement with a late-August-into-September Mediterranean cruise--Florence, Rome, Venice--that will also be stopping in Greece and Ephesus. I don't handle heat very well at all, but it's way too late to select a later sailing. It just occurred to me that many, if not all, those old sites are not going to be air conditioned--so no where to escape to cool down. Those of you who've been there, please tell me if I'm wrong--I'd LOVE to be wrong! I'm even thinking about carrying a little hand-held cooling fan if I can find one. So much for being fashionable! I appreciate all your suggestions. Please keep them coming--I'm reading them all!

I've been to those places also and didn't find the heat to be too oppressive. There is some good advice on here, especially the idea of wearing lightweight cotton tops with longer sleeves to keep the sun off you as much as possible. Wearing hats also helps. As for being fashionable...you know what's fashionable...being comfortable...so take that little hand-held cooling fan and a couple of wet wipes too. :D Of course it goes without saying that bringing bottled water with you is a must to keep hydrated. Don't forget sunglasses. Nothing makes me more tired and uncomfortable than having the sun glaring in my eyes.

Edited by mousey

I don't do dresses during the day. That is just me. If in the Caribbean?

Normally shorts/capri's and tank/short sleeved top if I am going into port.

I do wear dresses/skirts in the evenings though:)

I just booked a Caribbean Cruise for November:D

We were in Athens at the Acropolis in August.

It was HOT!!! but wonderful. We loved it so much the heat didn't matter.

I thought there was some interesting information here:

http://www.italyheaven.co.uk/heat.html

And at the risk of being repetitive to what other's have posted...

1. SHADE...you will want to shade your body as best as you can. This includes an umbrella, which may be more comfortable than a hat because hair will be able to circulate around your head under the umbrella, as a PP mentioned. Hat's may be helpful though to free your hands. And wear loose fitting clothing that shades your body from the sun. Choose lightweight WOVEN fabrics over knit fabrics. Woven fabric are more breathable in general due to the nature of construction.

2. FAN...YES. Bring something that will help move the air around you, even if it is something that you have to physically move yourself. The breeze helps to cool your body similar to the way a ceiling fan is supposed to help...I believe it's called the thermal effect. This effect is heightened by dampness. Similar to how you can feel so cold coming out of a swimming pool in the summer until you warm up in the sun. It may or may not be practical for you to have a way to "spray" yourself...but this combined with a handheld fan could work wonders. We have even purchased one of those handheld battery powered spray gun-fans that are sold at Disney...I can tell you...it's cumbersome to deal with...you would be better off with a smaller spray bottle of water (even a simple refillable travel sized one that might fit in your handbag) and a nice hand held (maybe foldable?) fan.