Carry On Alcohol

jimbobv

We normally stop at duty free and buy a couple of bottles of our favorite liquor. Do cruise ships prevent you from carrying your private alcohol on board?

Unless it is wine, most cruise lines will take the alcohol and hold it for you until disembarkation day. The same is true of any liquor bought in the duty free shop aboard ship. They hold it for you until the last night.

The reason for this is most of the ship's money is made from alcohol sales so they cannot afford to let passengers bring aboard their own liquor.

We normally stop at duty free and buy a couple of bottles of our favorite liquor. Do cruise ships prevent you from carrying your private alcohol on board?

As indicated by others, most cruise lines do not allow you to bring alcohol on board at embarkation for your personal consumption on board. Alcohol bought at a port of call or on board at a duty free shop intended for transport home will be held and returned on the last night of the cruise.

Several lines do allow wine to be brought on board for your own consumption during the cruise, however. As example, RCI's policy is two 750 ml max bottles per stateroom at original embarkation only. They can be consumed in your stateroom or anywhere on board with the exception that bottles cannot be brought into a venue - such as the MDR - that serve alcohol or they can impose a $25 corkage fee. However, you can bring glasses of wine into any venue on board without incurring the fee.

Edited by leaveitallbehind

Alcohol as in hard liquer will be taken and subject to distruction on:

NCL

Carnival

RCI

Celebrity

Holland America

Princess

You can pre buy liquer from many of these lines. The prices on HA and Princess are reasonable. The price on NCL is best described as rediculous

Cunard will allow you to bring it on

I'm unsure about the policies of

P&O

P&o Australia

Oceania

Crystal

Costa

MCI

I pack a couple of bottles every cruise along with several miniature bottles. The miniatures go in with the toiletries. The bigger bottles are just packed wherever in the checked luggage. Twenty something cruises and it always arrives to the cabin. I set up my little bar on the counter in the cabin. I bring my own plastic Ice Bucket (seems cleaner to me). Cabin steward has always filled my ice and kept me in fresh glasses. I like the little cans of diet coke. I pack two or three eight packs in among my clothes. I put four six pack sports bottles of water in a rolled carry on and walk it on the ship. The empty carry on is then used to bring back all the booze I buy. October cruise I brought back 4 liters of Kahlua from Mexico and 4 quarts of vanilla extract..

how do they differentiate between wine and liquor ina locked case?

if i put 2 750ML bottles of rum in my case how do they determine if it is rum or wine and then decide to confiscate it or allow it?

is it luck or are their scans able to tell some differences in the bottle types?

if i put 2 750ML bottles of rum in my case how do they determine if it is rum or wine and then decide to confiscate it or allow it?

is it luck or are their scans able to tell some differences in the bottle types?

They will not deliver your bag and make you come unlock it. That said, wine bottles are pretty easy to differentiate from liquor bottles by the shape.

The purpose of duty free is that you are buying something to take home, not consume while still on vacation.

If you buy other alcohol while in a port, it will depend on the cruise line as to what will happen with it.

Smuggling liquor. The biggest is when to get the cheapest airfare. Speaking of cheap, smuggle if you must. You might get lucky and you might watch it poured down the drain. Two camps on this subject. Those that do and the rest of us!

They will not deliver your bag and make you come unlock it. That said, wine bottles are pretty easy to differentiate from liquor bottles by the shape.

Thanks for the answer

I know there are what i would class subtle differences

just always wondered how an X ray would differentiate

I didnt think the difference would be prfound enough to tell tbh

Not that i plan to find out :)

I don't usually drink a lot on holiday soft drink package for me and one or two beers a day is usually my bag :)

too much else to do

Alcohol as in hard liquer will be taken and subject to distruction on:

NCL

Carnival

RCI

Celebrity

Holland America

Princess

MCI

These cruise lines do not destruct liquor that is in original bottles. They take it and return it to you the last night.

The only liquor they might destruct is liquor that is being smuggled by being in other bottles such as soda bottles. Mouthwash bottles, etc. That is liable to be confiscated and not returned. Probably emptied out.

Bags are xrayed before being delivered to cabin. If there is a question about any bottle of liquid the bag will be kept and you will receive a note to come and open your bag in front of a crew member who will determine what the liquid is.

That is why it is better to put wine in your carry on and declare it when boarding the ship. That way your checked bags can be delivered to your room without being held.

Edited by NMLady

Thanks for the answer

I know there are what i would class subtle differences

just always wondered how an X ray would differentiate

I didnt think the difference would be prfound enough to tell tbh

Not that i plan to find out :)

I don't usually drink a lot on holiday soft drink package for me and one or two beers a day is usually my bag :)

too much else to do

The difference in shape between a wine and spirits bottle is far more than subtle. It is actually quite marked.

Disney cruise lines allows you to bring on alcohol~

May Guests bring alcohol onboard?

A:

While adult Guests ages 21 and older may bring alcohol onboard, the following guidelines apply:

Alcohol brought on board may not be consumed in any lounge or public area.

Guests who arrive in the dining room with a bottle of champagne or wine that has been brought on board will be charged a corking fee of $20.00 per bottle.

Beverages must be packed in your carry-on bag—which must not exceed 22 inches wide, 14 inches high and 9 inches deep in dimension

Coolers filled with personal items (e.g. soda, alcohol, chips, candy, etc.) may not be brought on board.

Please note: Disney Cruise Line reserves the right to remove fragile items (including beverages) from checked luggage. In such cases, items will be stored and returned at the end of the voyage. Beverage containers are considered fragile and have previously caused damage in checked luggage. All fragile items must be transported inside carry-on luggage.

These cruise lines do not destruct liquor that is in original bottles. They take it and return it to you the last night.

The only liquor they might destruct is liquor that is being smuggled by being in other bottles such as soda bottles. Mouthwash bottles, etc. That is liable to be confiscated and not returned. Probably emptied out.

Don't know about the other lines but RCI will not usually return alcohol that someone has attempted to smuggle on whether it's in the original unopened bottle or not.