Noordam to Australia ?

Wastegirl

Just got off the Sydney Ports schedule, double checking that the Oosterdam is still leaving from the Overseas Terminal in Circular Quay for our cruise in a couple of weeks (much preferable to the other Terminals, location wise). Anyway I thought while I was there I would look at the bookings for late 2015 as we are hoping the Volendam is coming back and doing its Sydney to Singapore route.

While checking this out I was surprised to see no listing for the Oosterdam and looked a little harder, and there with regular bookings for the 2015/16 summer season in Australia, the Noordam is listed instead.

I thought HAL CC'rs might be interested in this.

2015 seems to be a year of some shuffling. Instead of doing a summer season in Europe, Noordam is coming to Alaska. So it would seem it will Down Under for the 2015-16 winter.

Isshe sailing out of Seattle or Vancouver?

Just got off the Sydney Ports schedule, double checking that the Oosterdam is still leaving from the Overseas Terminal in Circular Quay for our cruise in a couple of weeks (much preferable to the other Terminals, location wise). Anyway I thought while I was there I would look at the bookings for late 2015 as we are hoping the Volendam is coming back and doing its Sydney to Singapore route.

While checking this out I was surprised to see no listing for the Oosterdam and looked a little harder, and there with regular bookings for the 2015/16 summer season in Australia, the Noordam is listed instead.

I thought HAL CC'rs might be interested in this.

Thanks for confirming about Noordam. I heard that a short time ago.

Thanks for this information.

Just had a quick look at the Port Chalmers website, Noordam is booked for 2nd November 2015, plus 21st December, and January 19th 2016.

Will be interesting to see the itineraries when available.

I wouldn't be surprised if this is not a marketing idea, when you really only have one ship in Australia (except for the Volendam doing its circumnavigation annually then going to Asia), people can only do the South Pacific and NZ so many times without thinking ' let's try another ship' and going to another line. That's just what my DH and I have done for our next two trips after the Oosterdam (which we are on for the third time).

So change your ship and people might think, well I will do New Zealand again because this time I will be on the Noordam not the Oosterdam. This is most likely their thinking worldwide, capture an old audience on a new ship.

I wouldn't be surprised if this is not a marketing idea, when you really only have one ship in Australia (except for the Volendam doing its circumnavigation annually then going to Asia), people can only do the South Pacific and NZ so many times without thinking ' let's try another ship' and going to another line. That's just what my DH and I have done for our next two trips after the Oosterdam (which we are on for the third time).

So change your ship and people might think, well I will do New Zealand again because this time I will be on the Noordam not the Oosterdam. This is most likely their thinking worldwide, capture an old audience on a new ship.

I think you might be on to something there Elise; we've never been on the Oosterdam out of Sydney (our home port) but will be joining the Noordam in Venice next month - hope it's good because we might then do another cruise on her from Sydney. The Volendam used to do NZ (we did it in 2010) before going to Asia (did that in 2012) - loved that ship!

Ozcruizer

I think you might be on to something there Elise; we've never been on the Oosterdam out of Sydney (our home port) but will be joining the Noordam in Venice next month - hope it's good because we might then do another cruise on her from Sydney. The Volendam used to do NZ (we did it in 2010) before going to Asia (did that in 2012) - loved that ship!

Ozcruizer

We're just off the Noordam and you'll love her. Great vessel, crew and staff. She's in very nice shape. :thumbup:

If Noordam is heading to Australia and Zuiderdam is heading to Europe my money is that Oosterdam will pick up the 10/11 day partial canal or other Caribbean itins

That is what I am thinking as well. Would be OK with me. I have sailed on both of the Signature Class ships and 3 of the 4 Vista Class. Being able to sail aboard the Oosterdam would complete that goal.:D

If Noordam is heading to Australia and Zuiderdam is heading to Europe my money is that Oosterdam will pick up the 10/11 day partial canal or other Caribbean itins

I've been thinking the same. :)

Hope so.

I've been thinking the same. :)

Hope so.

Sail, it sounds to me that you would like to see some variety in what vessels are sailing from Florida. I agree!

There is just too much "Same old, Same old" on many of HAL itineraries.

Why can't they do a 14 day Caribbean itinerary on a Vista/Signature Class ship like Celebrity does with their Solstice-Class ships?

Interesting info. Thanks for sharing. We sailed from Seattle to Sydney on Oosterdam Oct. 2012. Will be on the Noordam in the Mediterranean this June. Glad we get to experience both.

Edited by Shebba
spelling correction

Sail, it sounds to me that you would like to see some variety in what vessels are sailing from Florida. I agree!

There is just too much "Same old, Same old" on many of HAL itineraries.

Why can't they do a 14 day Caribbean itinerary on a Vista/Signature Class ship like Celebrity does with their Solstice-Class ships?

Oosterdam has never been an East Coast ship that I remember and it will be nice to have her here. I'd love if she did Caribbean in winter and Canada/NE in the spring/summer/fall. We WILL miss Noordam though. We had to cancel a cruise we were booked on her this past year and I was looking forward to a 'make up' one. Much as I would like to visit downunder, we will not be making that long a trip.

Interesting info. Thanks for sharing. We sailed from Seattle to Sydney on Oosterdam Oct. 2012. Will be on the Noordam in the Mediterranean this June. Glad we get to experience both.

They are both lovely ships and we've had wonderful cruises on both. Great crews!!!! Enjoy. :)

We cruise for itinerary, so simply changing the ship wouldn't get our business. There are still dozens of ports we've never been to. So we'd rather have a different port than a different ship. I'm sure there are many others who feel this way. So I'm not sure how successful a marketing strategy it would be to simply change the ship if all the ports are the same.

Well yeah, so it can get the same extra rooms and cabana area as Noordam right? First the afts were all done one year apart from each other, and now they're working on the forward areas

I believe Noordam is the only Vista to have the additional cabins behind the Crows Nest. I don;t think any of the other Vistas have the Cabanas either (Oosterdam and Zuiderdam don't have them).

I haven't heard of any plans to re-fit the other Vistas yet.

We cruise for itinerary, so simply changing the ship wouldn't get our business. There are still dozens of ports we've never been to. So we'd rather have a different port than a different ship. I'm sure there are many others who feel this way. So I'm not sure how successful a marketing strategy it would be to simply change the ship if all the ports are the same.

While I agree lots of people do sail for the Ports, when you are limited like we are in Australia (though it is improving) and you want to just do a 2 week getaway you don't have much choice, so a different ship is always welcomed with interest.

Personally though if my DH and I are interested in a country we actually do a land tour as you can do a more intensive visit and while we appreciate interesting cruise itineraries its secondary to actual cruising. So yes a new ship is of interest, its like going to a new resort on your favourite island.

So IMO simply by swapping ships you still capture the people who sail for the ports but also pick up repeat business from those that cruise for cruising sake and want to try a new ship.