Celebrity gratuity policy

Jaddy

So does anyone have concrete evidence that tips are allocated to each member individually?

I know we all like to think this is the case but I assume all F&B tips are pooled and paid out pro-rata to the service staff, meaning it makes no difference how your tip was allocated to what server, it all ends up evenly distributed.

I have bounced from Blu to MDR and even different MDR tables in the past, and never been asked to reallocate tips. A couple times they did take my card for beverage service, and a couple others no one took my card as I didn't order any alcohol at the table.

I just got my e-docs, and it shows the daily gratuity is $12.00pp, $12.50pp for AQ/CC, and $15.50 for Suites.

The cruise tip calculator shows $.50 less for each category. :confused::confused:

http://cruisetip.tpkeller.com/

That site hasn't been update since Celebrity raised the suggested amount I believe last year.

As an experienced Celebrity cruiser and CC poster...why do you find this strange :) :)

Celebrity doesn't have anything to do with it. I was just commenting that the trip calculator website hadn't been updated, as it was when tips increased back in 2011.

Hi All,

I am confused ,how much is it per day tipping for Concierge Cabins? Can someone tell me please as this is the first time I have booked with this line.

Cheers Deb

$12.50 per day..

$12 per person per day in staterooms

• $12.50 per person per day in Concierge Class and AquaClass® staterooms

• $15.50 per person per day in suites

This gratuity is shared by your stateroom attendant, dining services staff, and housekeeping staff members who help enhance your vacation experience.

At your discretion, the gratuity payments may be adjusted onboard at Guest Relations, in which case they will not automatically be added to your onboard SeaPass® account.

A 15% gratuity will be automatically added to all beverages, mini bar purchases, spa and salon services. Additional gratuities may be added at your discretion.

$12.50 per day..

$12 per person per day in staterooms

• $12.50 per person per day in Concierge Class and AquaClass® staterooms

• $15.50 per person per day in suites

Here's how the daily amounts are shared (info may be old, and is before the recent reuse in the daily gratuity amount,m but you get the idea)

Restaurant Service*Per Person Per Day

Waiter$3.65

Assistant Waiter$2.10

Dining Room Management$1.00

Stateroom Service*Per Person Per Day

Butler (Suites Only)$3.50

Stateroom Service $3.50 ($4.00 for Concierge Class and AquaClass staterooms)

Alternative Service

Other Service Personnel$1.25

Beverage Service personnel are acknowledged with a 15% service charge which will be automatically added to the bill.

*Please note that gratuities may be shared with other crew members depending on the particular service requirement.

NCruiser2012,

Check out the link that I posted above ( post #19) that explains your query.

I did look at the link you gave. I have already made final payment, and no credit was given. My confirmations says:

"Clients that choose Celebrity Select must pay for their gratuities up front and will be reimbursed at a later date."

So, this either means OBC or that they will cut me a check?? I will have to call my TA. I dread waiting while the TA waits for Celebrity on the phone.

I did look at the link you gave. I have already made final payment, and no credit was given. My confirmations says:

"Clients that choose Celebrity Select must pay for their gratuities up front and will be reimbursed at a later date."

So, this either means OBC or that they will cut me a check?? I will have to call my TA. I dread waiting while the TA waits for Celebrity on the phone.

It will be OBC and the unused portion will be refunded to your sea pass account an departure and refunded to the card on file with sea pass account.

There is no way in hell I would accept a verbal answer from celebrity for this issue. Demand it in writing from celebrity.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Forums mobile app

There is no way in hell I would accept a verbal answer from celebrity for this issue. Demand it in writing from celebrity.

Why can't the TA give you a call back when they have the answer?

Our first cruise is in May and we're really excited! I've read a lot of information here but still a little confused about tips. We have prepaid since we have Select Dining but from what I've read that's not enough and it's standard to tip everybody more. I keep reading "generously" or "very well" but I don't know what's actually expected, especially for our cabin steward. Will probably use room service a lot so do we tip him every time or wait until the end of the cruise (if it's our steward)? How do you tip baggage handlers at the end if you put your luggage in the hallway? Thanks in advance.

Nora, since you have pepaid, you need not tip extra unless you receive services above and beyond. There is no need to tip the personnel who retrieve your bags placed outside your doorway. As a matter of fact, you will probably never see them. As a matter of fact, we usually always tip extra, because we believe that the mandated schedule is too low; and, we are not cheap.

Our first cruise is in May and we're really excited! I've read a lot of information here but still a little confused about tips. We have prepaid since we have Select Dining but from what I've read that's not enough and it's standard to tip everybody more. I keep reading "generously" or "very well" but I don't know what's actually expected, especially for our cabin steward. Will probably use room service a lot so do we tip him every time or wait until the end of the cruise (if it's our steward)? How do you tip baggage handlers at the end if you put your luggage in the hallway? Thanks in advance.

Nora, welcome to Cruise Critic!:)

It's customary to tip for room service, since it may not necessarily be your steward who brings the food, and you may not see that crewmember again. Figure a dollar or two for breakfast or lunch, five dollars for a full dinner. Otherwise, it's not necessary to tip beyond that unless someone goes above and beyond.

Having said that, we generally will tip the steward (and his/her assistant, they're supposed to share) an extra amount, since IMHO they are some of the hardest workers on the ship, and I've never failed to have one give us very personalized service. Extra for them will range from $25 to $50 for a weeklong cruise. I've heard that they also appreciate prepaid phone cards so they can stay in touch with their families. Some give a small gift that's representative of where they're from. I'd rather have the cash, myself.:rolleyes:

I have yet to have someone explain to me why I need to prepay tips for my steward and Other Service Personnel (laundry, I think) because I have Select dining, other than they can't figure out how to make those funky computers work to separate out the costs. I've never had the situation where I didn't think the steward didn't deserve every penny and then some, but I'd like the option in case it ever happens. Either make gratuities mandatory for everyone or include it in to the basic fare. Of course, doing the latter will make it appear the cost of the cruise is more than a comparable cruise offered by a competitor who doesn't include it, so that's not going to happen.

Thanks for the help. We will plan on tipping as we go for most room service. Just to clarify, if our steward delivers our meals will he expect us to wait until the end of the cruise for an additional tip? Or should we also tip whenever he delivers food etc.? This is not only our first cruise but first big vacation, about time, married 27 years! I really appreciate learning on this site so I can just enjoy our vacation and not worry about offending anyone.

Why can't the TA give you a call back when they have the answer?

You're missing my point. You can't prove anything that was said to you in a verbal conversation. Whether it's with celebrity or the TA, I want it in writing. Email is fine,

As first time 'big ship' cruisers all this tipping stuff can be quite confusing, - especially when in the UK it's not as common as across the pond.

I know I might regret asking this but why can't the company just pay a decent wage to their staff and tips are for good service like they're supposed to be?

Are they concerned the apparent overall cost of the cruise will increase? For two of us it's an extra $25 per day for 11 days so that's nearly $300 on top anyhow. Just add that (or a bit more even) to the overall cost and let me decide who else I want to tip.

I do agree with the pooling concept so that the behind the scenes staff get a share as well.

As first time 'big ship' cruisers all this tipping stuff can be quite confusing, - especially when in the UK it's not as common as across the pond.

I know I might regret asking this but why can't the company just pay a decent wage to their staff and tips are for good service like they're supposed to be?

Are they concerned the apparent overall cost of the cruise will increase? For two of us it's an extra $25 per day for 11 days so that's nearly $300 on top anyhow. Just add that (or a bit more even) to the overall cost and let me decide who else I want to tip.

I do agree with the pooling concept so that the behind the scenes staff get a share as well.

It's the same reason why airlines charge extra for baggage, meals, etc. They want the initial price to appear low especially in relation to other lines' pricing.

I simply don't understand why X can't wait to charge the service fees until you board if your on select dining. They can still make it a mandatory charge as many other lines do.

Once you prepay your tips, there is no need to tip anyone more, unless you want to. Except for the auto tips on drinks or spa treatments, etc. Some tip additionally and others don't, it is a personal preference, but not expected.

The baggage handlers people speak about are those off the ship at the ports that people usually give $1 or $2 a bag. They will be there to get your bags when you arrive and place on a cart to get them to the ship. They will also be there at the end of your cruise if you need help getting your luggage to your car, bus or taxi.

Edited by NLH Arizona

Thanks for the help. We will plan on tipping as we go for most room service. Just to clarify, if our steward delivers our meals will he expect us to wait until the end of the cruise for an additional tip? Or should we also tip whenever he delivers food etc.? This is not only our first cruise but first big vacation, about time, married 27 years! I really appreciate learning on this site so I can just enjoy our vacation and not worry about offending anyone.

I've only had a couple of occasions where the steward does deliver the food. Generally a dedicated galley person will do it. You will find they are in and out in a flash and aren't standing around waiting for a tip like a hotel bell hop. You really have to have it ready or they will be gone before you know it.

In the case of a steward I think you can do it either way. If you want to do it at the end of the cruise I think you can just mention that you will take care of them at the end.

That is not an unusual question, it is asked all the time and I don't believe anyone can give you a definitive answer. I will say that I would fear that if they did that, people would start tipping again and someone would be asked the same question 10 yrs from now.

I have yet to have someone explain to me why I need to prepay tips for my steward and Other Service Personnel (laundry, I think) because I have Select dining,

There is one reason and one reason only, because it is Celebrity's policy. Why ask why? I don't expect the cruise lines to justify or explain to me their business practices. As long as I enjoy their product I follow their guidelines.

Don't over think it, with prepaying tips you've covered all the bases. If you appreciate the job the steward/waiter/bartender does then give them something extra. I personally don't think there is too little or too much. Give what you are comfortable with, not what other people post that they do.

Plain and simple I have had a few rare staff that don't deserve an extra tip over and above the required amount. If you experience this don't feel any obligation to tip extra. It's not a requirement. I don't believe in rewarding bad behavior.

Most of the staff are extremely hard working and friendly people that are there to make your vacation great.

Enjoy your cruise.

I know I might regret asking this but why can't the company just pay a decent wage to their staff and tips are for good service like they're supposed to be? .

Years and years ago, people started giving gratuities to those 'in service' and the concept stuck. It is a way to show a lower cost for the cruise to people price shopping. Many of us agree that we hate it.

Once you prepay your tips, there is no need to tip anyone more, unless you want to. Except for the auto tips on drinks or spa treatments, etc. Some tip additionally and others don't, it is a personal preference, but not expected.

The baggage handlers people speak about are those off the ship at the ports that people usually give $1 or $2 a bag. They will be there to get your bags when you arrive and place on a cart to get them to the ship. They will also be there at the end of your cruise if you need help getting your luggage to your car, bus or taxi.

This is true in the US, but I've heard it is not true in other locations. On our last cruise, I didn't give a dime to the baggage handlers on the shore. We took a shuttle from our hotel, got our bags from the shuttle, and were told by the baggage handlers to find where bags with tags like ours were grouped. Then he walked away. That was at Port Everglades. Definitely no tip earned there!

Noro86, if your steward delivers your room service order, you can wait to tip till the end. Most of the times when I order room service, they are in and out so fast it is clear they aren't expecting a tip. As for "everyone" tips extra and tips a lot, if you pay your recommended gratuities, you have met the expected amount. Above that is because you really want to. Our last cruise, we didn't give our room attendants anything extra. After 4 Celebrity cruises, we knew what to expect. There were a number of things we missed, such as notice that the clocks were changing, comment cards part of the way through, etc. everything just seemed 'off' with them. The rest of the staff was awesome. So we didn't leave extra. There is nothing wrong with that!

Strange because people on set time dining can go and remove all payments, no problem and not tip anything, and quite a few do.

There is nothing to make sure staff get their tips with set time diners so why make anytimers prepay to make sure they get their tips, it don't make sense.

This is my main gripe about prepayment, select diners cannot change the gratuity level even if they get poor service. Also now that all other grats. are charged automatically to your account, there really is no need for select to be charged differently.

As yet we have never failed to use our OBC, but as we have to use accessible tours we need to pay these in advance, and my DW no longer drinks, so it could become difficult in the future.