Free Unlimited Shore Excursions?

cruzmaven

Just received an email from O offering "free unlimited shore excursions" in St Petersburg on selected sailings.

I hope this isn't a trend. I'm not a fan of included excursions which is why I would never consider sailing Regent.

Nothing included in the fare is "free" and if this is the way O is heading, fares will stay high or get higher. Not a good thing, IMHO.

When I sailed Crystal, the gimmick at that time was to include copious amounts of OBC. The only way to use it, other than drink a lot of high end wine, was to book their shore excursions. Doing tours on buses with 30/40 other people is never a good thing and detracted from the experience.

I guess you don't have to use the included tours but you have to pay for them use them or not.

hope this isn't a trend. I'm not a fan of included excursions which is why I would never consider sailing Regent.

Conversely speaking, I'm now getting emails from Regent offering 2 for 1 Cruise Fares in combination with Free Airfare.

Where have I seen that Ad Campaign before? :rolleyes:

Conversely speaking, I'm now getting emails from Regent offering 2 for 1 Cruise Fares in combination with Free Airfare.

Where have I seen that Ad Campaign before? :rolleyes:

When you look at their prices, they could offer almost anything "Free" and the cost would still be sky high.

When you look at their prices, they could offer almost anything "Free" and the cost would still be sky high.

That's not necessarily true. Friends of mine (Hi Don! :D) have been telling me for years that if you price Regent out carefully, -and work around their "bargain sailings"; that you can match or even do better than Oceania or Celebrity. And it actually works !!!

Get on their mailing list, and you may be very happily surprised.

Edited by JimandStan

People who sail in penthouse suites can find a lot of savings on Regent. By the time you add in the alcohol package, internet and tips, Oceania comes out higher than Regent on many itineraries. However, I understand that Oceania cruisers are not looking for included excursions (nor am I) and are not interested in drinking (although you sure could fool me when there were free drinks and/or happy hour on the Riviera).

As has been said, Baltic cruises are not selling well on either cruise line. I received an email from Regent this morning offering $499/person Business Class upgrade for one sailing in June. IMO, the low airfare upgrade on Regent and the included excursions on Oceania is a one time deal to increase sales on these cruises.

That's not necessarily true. Friends of mine (Hi Don! :D) have been telling me for years that if you price Regent out carefully, -and work around their "bargain sailings"; that you can match or even do better than Oceania or Celebrity. And it actually works !!!

Only works if you drink enough and will take their included shore excursions. Otherwise, it does not.

Edited by pacheco18

Only works if you drink enough and will take their included shore excursions. Otherwise, it does not.
Not true, at least some of the time. The two Regent cruises I took, in the Caribbean, were priced about the same as a veranda on Oceania, so the large suite, the drinks, shore excursions, laundry and more were truly free compared to Oceania! However, it's getting more difficult to find those.

Not true, at least some of the time. The two Regent cruises I took, in the Caribbean, were priced about the same as a veranda on Oceania, so the large suite, the drinks, shore excursions, laundry and more were truly free compared to Oceania! However, it's getting more difficult to find those.

Caribbean is way cheaper than their other cruises. You can always find a deal there because there are too many ships there.

We would not consider the Caribbean as a destination in any event.

Frankly, we would never consider Regent because of the all inclusive and the shore excursions. Does not suit us at all. After reading their boards, I find it even less appealing. LOLOL

I am trying to get OFF their mailing list

I have no desire to pay for mass "free" excursions on a bus or drinks that I do not drink

To each his own

I know this sounds crazy but Oceania and Regent are some times hundreds of dollars a day cheaper than Holland America and Celebrity..... when you add up all the little details door to door...and this is without sales.

The light came on for me I was booked on a 42 day Holland Cruise in the lowest balcony class, added air, tips, a % for specialty dining, wine etc.... ( not even considering shore ex) and was blown away.... Compared to Oceania with booze pkg and tips incuded and rt air. It was some $258 a day more expensive on a mass market ship.

Getting a suite on Celeb or Holland was even more obscene where they sell a faux luxury on ships of 3000+.

I am not the least worried about included shore ex because its for St Peters Berg..... and it only effects people who are interested in Russia...

Travel agent sent me a copy of Oceania's "free unlimited" excursions. From the list, it's not "unlimited" and it's not all of the excursions.

Just curious

Is there a limit to how many you can take?

or is it just specific tours that are on the included list ?

The list in the email looked pretty extensive

I would just like to provide some clarification. I can only tell you how "free excursions" work on Regent but assume it would be similar on Oceania sailings going to St. Petersburg.

You can take as many included tours as you wish -- as long as there is time in between tours. For instance, if you take a morning excursion that ends at 12:30 p.m., taking another that begins at 1:00 p.m. is too close. You probably need a couple of hours between excursions.

Excursions with a cost associated with it are generally premium excursions. The cost is usually half of what it would cost if you were booking the excursion without this promotion.

We have been to St. Petersburg and used a private guide. They are horrendously expensive. The best part was being able to go to the front of the line and enter before people that were just visiting on their own. I understand that Regent (and presumably Oceania) also goes to the front of the line. I will see this for myself in July when we return to St. Petersburg (assuming travel to Russia is not banned). We will take one premium excursion and one "included".

Regent does not have multiple full bus loads of people leaving at the same time to the same place and I doubt if Oceania will. Generally there are 24-28 people per bus and they visit the sites at different times (in a different order).

Oceania passengers are really being offered a good deal because you are not paying for these excursions in your cruise fare. Regent passengers are. I cannot see a reason in the world to complain about it. If you want to do your own thing, there is no one stopping you. On the other hand, if you want to see what an included excursion is like, you can do so. On the other hand, I truly hope that Oceania is offering this one time as I am one of the Regent long term customers who detest having an included excursions program that you cannot opt out of.

Hope this information helps.

Edited by Travelcat2

I would just like to provide some clarification. I can only tell you how "free excursions" work on Regent but assume it would be similar on Oceania sailings going to St. Petersburg.

You can take as many included tours as you wish -- as long as there is time in between tours. For instance, if you take a morning excursion that ends at 12:30 p.m., taking another that begins at 1:00 p.m. is too close. You probably need a couple of hours between excursions.

Excursions with a cost associated with it are generally premium excursions. The cost is usually half of what it would cost if you were booking the excursion without this promotion.

We have been to St. Petersburg and used a private guide. They are horrendously expensive. The best part was being able to go to the front of the line and enter before people that were just visiting on their own. I understand that Regent (and presumably Oceania) also goes to the front of the line. I will see this for myself in July when we return to St. Petersburg (assuming travel to Russia is not banned). We will take one premium excursion and one "included".

Regent does not have multiple full bus loads of people leaving at the same time to the same place and I doubt if Oceania will. Generally there are 24-28 people per bus and they visit the sites at different times (in a different order).

Oceania passengers are really being offered a good deal because you are not paying for these excursions in your cruise fare. Regent passengers are. I cannot see a reason in the world to complain about it. If you want to do your own thing, there is no one stopping you. On the other hand, if you want to see what an included excursion is like, you can do so. On the other hand, I truly hope that Oceania is offering this one time as I am one of the Regent long term customers who detest having an included excursions program that you cannot opt out of.

Hope this information helps.

Sounds awful

I love waiting for 28 people to use the restroom when the bus stops. LOL

My max for any excursion is 10 -- usually less

I pick my guide, my destination, who i travel with, when I stop.

They excursions in St. Petersburg are worth every penny. They are not "horrendously" expensive. You get your money's worth and the experience of a lifetime. You are paying dearly for that "horrendous" bus excursion on Regent.

Sounds awful

I love waiting for 28 people to use the restroom when the bus stops. LOL

My max for any excursion is 10 -- usually less

I pick my guide, my destination, who i travel with, when I stop.

They excursions in St. Petersburg are worth every penny. They are not "horrendously" expensive. You get your money's worth and the experience of a lifetime. You are paying dearly for that "horrendous" bus excursion on Regent.

Actually, you are right about the cost. When compared to the cost of Oceania tours ($500/person for the one we took), St. Petersburg isn't that bad for a private tour. We did get our moneys worth.

As much as I dislike Regent included tours, I would not describe them as "horrendous". The main reason I dislike included tours is because the passengers book everything in sight because it's "free" and end up not showing up or complaining about everything. We also do not like paying for something we do not use. I would much prefer paying for excursions that we want to take.

Everyone has different preferences. We only will stay in a penthouse or above suites. We do not drink that much but will pay whatever it costs to avoid signing for drinks (or anything else). We also do not like to share tours with other passengers that we do not know (although we had a wonderful group on one tour -- during our Oceania cruise).

Most importantly, I do not try to impose my likes and dislikes upon others and do not criticize them if they like something that I do not care for. Some people love included excursions -- others don't mind signing for things -- and some people just do not like all inclusive. As far as I'm concerned, it's all good:)

Edited by Travelcat2

I hope this "free excursions" is a one time thing for O.

The future prices would probably go up considerably If excursions were included and I for one do not want to pay for something I would not use.

It is an incentive to keep people on the Baltic cruises ... doubt if they are going to include tours for "free" in the future

We're booked with a private (2 person) tour for our 3 days in St. Petersburg. When I saw this morning's email, I thought I may sign up for the free evening folklore show since we haven't made any evening plans yet. Good idea or not?