When was your first Princess Cruise?

h20skibum

Our first cruise was on the Crown Princess in June of 2011. It was in honour of my husband's 50th birthday that year. We had no idea what we were doing - cruise wise - and our room was on the Lido deck L304. We loved that room!! We had booked the most inexpensive balcony room under a GTY and were shocked when they upgraded us 5 levels to the Lido deck. It was the British Isles cruises from Southhampton and I still giggle when I remember how excited we both were :) We are now totally hooked on cruising and will go on our 3rd cruise in January 2015. This is a great thread.....

Our first cruise was on the Emerald Princess for her very first voyage in the Caribbean. We did the southern Caribbean medley for ten days to celebrate our 25th anniversary. Went to Princess Cays, Dominca, St. Thomas, Bonaire and Aruba. It was amazing! We spoiled ourselves with a mini suite with balcony. Totally hooked us on cruising and now that we have retired we are planning at least one cruise per year for as long as we are able. Best way to travel in our books!!

Edited by Cruisa Loosa

Our first was on the Original Crown Princess in October, 1991. Although we started cruising in 1980, the Crown was our first Princess trip. We had cabin C159 which was an outside with a large window. Our one week cruise with stops at Nassau, Montego Bay, Grand Cayman and Cozumel cost a total of 1,046. We still have our shore excursion book that lists all the prices for excursions offered by princess. There really has not been a large increase in the prices for them over the last 23 years.

In the photo, the Crown is docked by the Big Red Boat in Nassau (I had almost forgot about that ship). There certainly is a striking difference in ship size and amenities since then.

Our first cruise was on the Emerald Princess for her very first voyage in the Caribbean. We di the southern Caribbean medley for ten days to celebrate our 25th anniversary. It was amazing! We spoiled ourselves with a mini suite with balcony. Totally hooked us on cruising and now that we have retired we are planning at least one cruise per year for as long as we are able. Best way to travel in our books!!

Oops, forgot to say that our first cruise was in 2007.

Our first Princess cruise was on the Star Princess in 2007. It was a Baltic cruise for our 30th wedding anniversary. It was our 4th cruise overall.

On our first cruise, western Mediterranean on the Royal Caribbean Splendour of the Seas for our 25th anniversary, it seemed that everyone on our flight to Barcelona was either on our cruise or a Princess cruise that was also leaving from Barcelona.

This summer we will be on our 3rd Princess cruise (10th overall) on the Ocean Princess to the British Isles.

Our first cruise on Princess was in August/September 1981 on the original Island Princess. It was an 8 day round trip to Alaska from Vancouver with stops in Ketchikan, Juneau, Skagway, and Sitka as well as Glacier Bay. We loved that cruise and have been cruising ever since.

DH sailed on the Sun Princess in July 2003, but that doesn't count because he didn't really start living until he met me 6-months later. Our first cruise was in September 2004 on the Golden Princess. I called it the cruise of the ever-changing itinerary because it was suppose to be San Juan, St. Thomas, St. Kitts, Grenada, Caracas, Venezuela, and Aruba.

Due to political unrest in Venezuela (College students protesting something) Caracas was replaced by Isle de Margarita. A week before we sailed, Hurricane Ivan decimated Grenada. The island jail destroyed the US State Department issued a travel advisory for Grenada and that island was replaced by Dominica. After leaving St. Thomas on our way to St. Kitts the captain announced that a hurricane (Jeanne) was forming over St. Kitts and the port of Basseterre was closed, so Dominica was moved up a day early and Barbados was added. Never really knew from one day to the next where we would be.

I discovered early on that when it comes to cruising it's best to have a sense of humor and a go with the flow attitude.

First Princess cruise was August/Sept 2013 on the Coral to Alaska from Vancouver. Had a mini-suite. Loved the cruise. Cruising on the Ruby next month to celebrate our 25th Can't wait.

Started cruising on RCCL in 1991 when the kids were in middle and high school. They are hooked, too. :)

DH sailed on the Sun Princess in July 2003, but that doesn't count because he didn't really start living until he met me 6-months later. Our first cruise was in September 2004 on the Golden Princess. I called it the cruise of the ever-changing itinerary because it was suppose to be San Juan, St. Thomas, St. Kitts, Grenada, Caracas, Venezuela, and Aruba.

Due to political unrest in Venezuela (College students protesting something) Caracas was replaced by Isle de Margarita. A week before we sailed, Hurricane Ivan decimated Grenada. The island jail destroyed the US State Department issued a travel advisory for Grenada and that island was replaced by Dominica. After leaving St. Thomas on our way to St. Kitts the captain announced that a hurricane (Jeanne) was forming over St. Kitts and the port of Basseterre was closed, so Dominica was moved up a day early and Barbados was added. Never really knew from one day to the next where we would be.

I discovered early on that when it comes to cruising it's best to have a sense of humor and a go with the flow attitude.

Our first cruise was about a month after you on the same Southern Caribbean Explorer itinerary on the Golden out of San Juan. We made it to St. Kitts but it was Sunday after their General Elections the day before. The town was like a ghost town. We also stopped at Dominica and Isla Margarita. Since then we have sailed on the Golden a total of 42 days :)

As you said, if you cruise, you need to be flexible because things happen and there are no guarantees.

Sent from my iPad using Forums mobile app

Edited by IECalCruiser

June 1989 on the original Dawn Princess (Sitmar's Fairwind), Venice to Lisbon. We'd sailed on the ship several times w/Sitmar & on the Fairsea & Fairsky. We were celebrating DH's 50th b'day, DD's high school graduation & our 25th anniversary.

It was our last cruise for several years -- DD's undergrad & my grad school took all the $$$. We got back to Princess about 10 yrs. later.:)

Our first Princess cruise was March 1985 on the original Pacific Princess, called a Mexican Riviera cruise out of San Diego . Our daughter was a big Love Boat fan, so we took her along.

I think the Love Boat show in the late 70's early 80's really gave a boost to cruising. I don't think I have encountered any cruise staff that worked as little as that crew did though.:)

First Princess cruise Shanghai-Singapore Ocean Princess. It was a B2B with sister ship Azamara Quest Hong Kong-Shanghai. 30 days total. Great trip. I'll be on Ocean again in May for 30 days Cape Town to Dover. Very excited.

First cruise, first trip to Europe, first trip anywhere solo, Copenhagen to Rome sailed 4 days before 9/11. Quite an experience.

We came to Princess via of Sitmar (loved and will always miss that cruise line :o ) in 1988 when Fairsky soon after became Sky Princess. Also on the old Star Princess (1989) which was to have been and was for a while a Sitmar ship.

LuLu

~~~

Sun Princess in 1996.

We were both working and carrying emergency pagers 24x7, and had asked a Travel Agent "what kind of vacation can we take that will get us away from EVERYTHING? She said "I've got just the thing for you - a cruise!" So we booked a Western Caribbean on the new Sun Princess, the biggest cruise ship at the time. After one cruise we were hooked.

Thank God she booked us on Princess! Later another TA convinced us to try another line, and had that been our first cruise we would never have gone back.

The Princess cruise was before all the latest electronic communications were added. But for that cruise our family had the ship's emergency number and no one else knew where we were or could contact us. Pure heaven! :D

22 cruises later we are still hooked!

First Princess cruise was on the original Island Princess from Vancouver to Alaska in May, 1991. Another ship (Regent Sea) hit us going into Skagway, so Princess flew us all back to Seattle, gave us a nice refund and future cruise credit. We've been on over 35 cruises since.

Sent from my C6606 using Forums mobile app