Why Use a Travel Agent

jhuntermartin

Travel Agents are getting anywhere from 8-15% of the Cruise Fare they do not get commission on the Air. The question I would like to pose is with every Cruise Line offering their own Reservation System why do we still need them. I personally would like to see that Commission used to either reduce fares or to bring back some of the things we are now charged for.

Travel Agents are getting anywhere from 8-15% of the Cruise Fare they do not get commission on the Air. The question I would like to pose is with every Cruise Line offering their own Reservation System why do we still need them. I personally would like to see that Commission used to either reduce fares or to bring back some of the things we are now charged for.

Travel Agents can be quite helpful for those people just beginning their adventures in cruising. By answering questions, and generally assisting through the reservation process. They also are good if you have problems with the cruiseline (like reductions in prices before you leave on the cruise, or problems with your payments/reservations in general) in getting things settled (usually in your favor). Also TAs often give perks for using them to book reservations (Onboard Credits comes to mind).

Renaissance Cruise Lines did not work with travel agents, but only accepted direct bookings. Ever heard of them? They went under. No TA would ever suggest them. Shortly after 9/11, they ceased operations, but they had been floundering financially even before then.

Don't assume every cruise line accepts direct bookings, some will simply refer your booking to a TA if you don't already have one.

The TA's and the cruise lines have a symbiotic relationship. They need each other, and that is not going to change.

Edited by Shorex

They do not get commission of the full fare you pay there are parts of the fare that are non commissionable

Highly unlikely any cruise line or hotel etc..are going to pass on any savings by not paying a TA

Some TA's are more than just order takers they actualy work for their client

Some as pointed out will get you perks that booking via the cruise line does not give you

It is a personal choice to use a TA or not

The fact is that approximately 75% of all cruises are booked through TA's - far more than are booked directly. There is a strong and positive reliance on the cruise industry and the TA's that work on their behalf that is not likely to change or diminish. Most cruise lines have always had the option of booking directly through them as well, so this is not a new concept that would now have the TA's not being necessary.

There is also a real cost to the cruise lines to support their reservation staff - their payroll has to come from somewhere. The portion that would be commission to the TA's is likely allocated to cover the internal sales expense to support the reservation staff when a direct booking is made - just a cost trade off of internal v external as a commission. The stateroom cost is - and will likely remain - the same either booked direct or through a TA as a result.

Edited by leaveitallbehind

Most cruiselines have always had a phone number to book directly with-that is nothing new. With 75% of the bookings being done by agents, you have to figure it saves the cruiseline a large chunk of marketing budgets, as well. And if one line would ditch travel agents, the others would soar while it scrambled. Of course, it is a personal preference whether you want/need an agent, but the cruiselines would not use the money they "saved" from travel agent bookings toward the guest fare. They did not start charging for new things because they needed more money, it was because they wanted more money. That will not change. ;). Since the airlines cut travel agent commissions a decade or so ago, have your fares gone down? How about your extra fees? Nice in theory, but just would not happen right now.

The fact is that approximately 75% of all cruises are booked through TA's - far more than are booked directly. There is a strong and positive reliance on the cruise industry and the TA's that work on their behalf that is not likely to change or diminish. Most cruise lines have always had the option of booking directly through them as well, so this is not a new concept that would now have the TA's not being necessary.

There is also a real cost to the cruise lines to support their reservation staff - their payroll has to come from somewhere. The portion that would be commission to the TA's is likely allocated to cover the internal sales expense to support the reservation staff when a direct booking is made - just a cost trade off of internal v external as a commission. The stateroom cost is - and will likely remain - the same either booked direct or through a TA as a result.

Edited by miniowl

They did not start charging for new things because they needed more money, it was because they wanted more money. That will not change. ;).

Good point. They do it because they can. And you still get everything (OK maybe not towel animals every night or chocolates on your pillow) that you always did with your cruise fare - all meals, entertainment, ports of call, on board activities, etc. - none of that has changed. What has changed is that most ships are offering more variety on board included in the basic stateroom rate then in earlier years.

What has also changed is that you now have options at an additional fee - and option is the key word - for more upscale restaurants and specialty venues that are in addition to all that is included. And base stateroom rates have actually held very well over the years comparatively. I checked an old cruise document (yeah I keep that stuff) from 1993 where I paid proportionately roughly the same for a 7-night cruise per day as I just did on an 8-night cruise, but in a better stateroom category this last time.

Sorry, but IMO, the notion that rates would somehow be reduced, or more would be added that is now an extra charge if TA's were not involved due to a savings in commission is just naive.

Edited by leaveitallbehind

Living Overseas I have only used online Agencies and found them to be no more than order takers. The next cruise I will look into a Travel Agent that can get me some perks. The current cruises I am booked on I booked those with the Cruise Line and got a bunch of on board credit after pointing out I am saving them a commission.

On my current Trans Atlantic I was able to get an upgrade from an Inside to a Balcony for $50 and I am traveling solo this was on top of the OBC. I am not bashing Travel Agents but I am like everybody else I need to see the value for the service.

A good travel agent is very valuable, a bad travel agent is worse than none at all. A good agent can not only get you discounts or perqs, he/she can also offer advice (how to get what we want isn't always evident) and help with integrating vacation planning. There may not be much planning for a cruise vacation if you live near a cruise port, but if you are traveling to or from and want to add on some land travel at either end, or if you have special needs (from dietary issues to mobility issues) etc, a travel "coordinator" can be a big help. My next cruise is part of a month-long vacation that includes 1 cruise, 3 airline bookings, 2 rental cars, and at least 6 different hotel stays........I like the planning, but for many people that type of complex arrangement can be overwhelming.

Some people need nothing more than a computer to take their order, other people need more service, whether in the form of advice or practical assistance (i.e. actually finding availabilities and making bookings).

And that doesn't even take into account some of the perqs or the help if something goes wrong.

It seems that the profession of travel agent seems to be in decline. I have seen that there are travel professionals that specialize in the cruise industry. Is there a difference, and is what type of training do these people receive?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Once upon a time there was a cruise line called Renaissance they agreed with their logic. They did not use travel or cruise agents, and only took direct bookings from their own web site or via telephone. They argued that the money they saved by not paying commissions (or marketing to TAs) allowed them to provide a better product at lower cost. That line eventually went bankrupt (largely because of the travel decline caused by 9/11). Other cruise lines have not seen fit to follow that business plan. On the other hand, both Southwest Airlines and JetBlue, 2 of the most popular and highest quality airlines in the USA, have also seen fit not to pay commissions to TAs or even most major travel web sites. Although they are not listed on sites like Orbitz and Expedia....both of those airlines do quite well with their bottom line.

Hank

TA are more than "order takers". They offer advice, suggestions, assist in planning. My agent does my online check in. Saves me several hours on hold with cruise lines or on the computer. Handles everything for me. It cracks me up how people bash a profession. The agency have to earn a living also. The commission they earn is paid not from us but from the company.. They have partnerships with each other. if you choose not to use an agency that is your decision. You are missing out on perks that they offer. They get to know you and your likes and dislikes. They look out for deals that I may like. She watches for my price to go down. If there is an issue she takes care of it for me. That is just my opinion. :)