Packed/picnic lunches

petlady7

Hi

I know Princess don't like you to take food off the ship but does anybody know if they would provide a packed lunch for you to take with you

As far as I know, they do not since it could open them to legal issues. Many ports do not allow you take certain types (or in extreme cases, all types) of food off the ship. See this current thread on taking food off the ship: http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2013664. If you do a search you'll find other related threads -- the question comes up periodically.

It is not Princess that has a problem with your taking food off the ship. It is the country which you are visiting. Most of them have very strict laws about this and will hit you with a heavy fine (at a minimum) for even taking an apple off the ship. This is, I believe, based on agriculture/health issues.

So, Princess will definitely not pack you food to take off the ship.

You may, however, usually take food that is in its original/sealed packaging off the ship such as granola bars, candy bars, cereal, trail mix.

At one of our stops in Great Britain, we contacted a local vendor to make us a picnic lunch for our visit.

It's not that Princess doesn't like you to take the food off. It is illegal in almost all ports to take most foods off of the ship in order to protect local agriculture from pests and diseases.

For US ports, "Restricted items include meats, fruits, vegetables, plants, soil, and products made from animal or plant materials." More detailed information is available at http://www.cbp.gov/travel/international-visitors/agricultural-items. Most other countries have similar rules for importing food.

In many ports, it is illegal to take fresh food off the ship. Usually only pre-wrapped food is allowed. In some ports there are either sniffer dogs or agriculture department personnel checking for illegal food. If caught, you will likely spend a while discussing your violation and the resulting fine.

It's at your own risk...we've taken food off MANY times and never given it a second thought. On 17 cruises I've never seen anyone who cared and have certainly never seen dogs. I've also never heard from anyone who actually got "caught" or received any sort of fine...I think the stories are life Big Foot: talked about but not substantiated.

Edited by Weluv2cruise2007

It's at your own risk...we've taken food off MANY times and never given it a second thought. On 17 cruises I've never seen anyone who cared and have certainly never seen dogs. I've also never heard from anyone who actually got "caught" or received any sort of fine...I think the stories are life Big Foot: talked about but not substantiated.

Then obviously you haven't read the many posts (on the many threads like this I've seen over the years) from those who have first hand witnessed the sniffer dogs "hitting" on those with food. And the trash cans next to the gangway filled with confiscated food.

Please don't get off a ship in Los Angeles, especially with any food stuff. We local Angelenos and Southern Californians have been through medfly sprayings and other pest eradications and it isn't great for cars, houses, outdoor play equipment, etc.

Then you've been lucky. I have seen with my own eyes people being taken away for having an apple in their backpack they forgot about. I've seen huge bins on the dock of discarded food. I've seen dogs at disembarkation checking everyone who passes by. Next time I see a soldier carrying a machine gun next to a big German shepherd checking everyone, I'll try to take a photo just to prove to you I've seen it although I doubt that would go over very well.

Countries and regions do everything they can to protect their agriculture and thus the regulations. Since people's livelihood and the region's economy is at stake, the vast majority respect and follow the laws.

Back to the OP, the only time in all of my cruises when Princess has packed a lunch/food was for an all-day tour in the Amazon. I've taken Amazon tours twice and lunch was packed both times in a really nice padded/insulated Princess bag.

Well you should give it a second thought. Just because you yourself have not been caught doesnt mean others havent.

The rules are in place for a reason, but as you seem to think its ok then i am sure you wont mind me bringing in raw meat, fruit and veg from Europe into your country despite the harm it may do to your agriculture.

On 17 cruises I've never seen anyone who cared and have certainly never seen dogs. I've also never heard from anyone who actually got "caught" or received any sort of fine...I think the stories are life Big Foot: talked about but not substantiated.

You must have never been on a western caribbean cruise then as it was either Costa Maya or Cozymel where my SIL was pulled aside by a soldier with a dog who alerted on her for having an apple in her backpack. It was confiscated and we went on our way but could have been worse I suppose depending on how much food had been in her backpack.

Edited by Dudleydog73

It's not that Princess doesn't like you to take the food off. It is illegal in almost all ports to take most foods off of the ship in order to protect local agriculture from pests and diseases.

For US ports, "Restricted items include meats, fruits, vegetables, plants, soil, and products made from animal or plant materials." More detailed information is available at http://www.cbp.gov/travel/international-visitors/agricultural-items. Most other countries have similar rules for importing food.

Exactly! Just don't do it!!!

LuLu

~~~

Why would you want to take food off the ship anyway ? One of the delights about visiting new places is experiencing the food there. Pop into a grocery store and see what is different and what is the same. Check out the restaurants.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Hi

I know Princess don't like you to take food off the ship but does anybody know if they would provide a packed lunch for you to take with you

NO ....and no other cruiseline would do this for you.

The rules are in place for a reason, but as you seem to think its ok then i am sure you wont mind me bringing in raw meat, fruit and veg from Europe into your country despite the harm it may do to your agriculture.

This is cruise critic. Anyone who has spend any time reading the

posts here know that rules are only for other people.

Sailed over 30 cruises- HAL, Carnival and Princess. It wa only on our last (Princess) cruise that we actually saw bugs onboard, around the buffet.

A few no-see-ums and a bug crawling out of the asparagus on my plate.

If you want to take food off, usually commercially prepared, sealed foods are OK. It does depend on the port.

We bring off Nutrigrain bars (packed from home) and dry cereal from the breakfast buffet.

Countries are trying to protect their ecosystems. In SoCal we battled the Mediterrean Fruit Fly by being Crop Dusted. Whole cities were being sprayed with Malathion.

Now we are fighting the Asian Psylliad. It must be a rock star as it has it's own website

http://californiacitrusthreat.org/asian-citrus-psyllid.php

It arrived in 2008 from overseas.

Edited by SadieN

Feeling entitled are you? Just because you haven't been caught-YET-doesn't mean that it's ok to flout the rules of the port you are entering as a guest.

I had never thought about this until I found this thread. Again, I thank those of you on CC for enlightening us. I can remember driving through the western states back in 1974 and coming to "inspection stations" and having the car inspected (very thoroughly) for food items. Cost us our snacks of apples, bananas and other items for the vacation.

Again, thanks to CC'rs!

Edited by RetiredNTraveling

It wa only on our last (Princess) cruise that we actually saw bugs onboard, around the buffet. A few no-see-ums and a bug crawling out of the asparagus on my plate.
Yuck! Something else few knew about on our cruise was a major bee swarm on deck 15 forward after PV, blocking the Spa pool area and the Sanctuary. It took hours and several sprayings to get rid of them. The whole area, including the Spa pool, was closed off from mid-morning until later in the afternoon.

Cozumel. Feb 2014. I saw with my own eyes. Armed guards checking backpacks & throwing away sandwiches, bananas, pastries, etc. Huge trash can full of confiscated perishables. This, despite clear shore instructions not to take food from the ship. Yes, the rules are always for someone else!

It's at your own risk...we've taken food off MANY times and never given it a second thought. On 17 cruises I've never seen anyone who cared and have certainly never seen dogs.

It depends where you cruise to.

I have been in a number of ports where one or more of the following has occurred:

o Local officials look into every carry off bag/purse/camera case

o Local officials have dogs but do not make you line up to be sniffed

o Local officials with the dogs have some very big guns

It is funny to read this thread and recall Rick Steves' girl friend's travel blog about their European cruise on Princess last year. Apparently Princess gave them breakfast in Sabatini's even though they only had a regular balcony cabin (it is good to be famous I guess). She said that they really liked the ham croissant breakfast sandwiches so they ordered extra, put them in their tote bag and took them ashore to eat for lunch. You would think that he would have known better. :cool:

You must have never been on a western caribbean cruise then as it was either Costa Maya or Cozymel where my SIL was pulled aside by a soldier with a dog who alerted on her for having an apple in her backpack. It was confiscated and we went on our way but could have been worse I suppose depending on how much food had been in her backpack.

Or in San Diego, Cabo San Lucas or Ensenada. In Cabo, the port security checks bags, purses, backpacks for any unsealed food. In Ensenada, you never want the nice yellow labrador sit next to you as you leave the port area.:eek:

Pam - after SadieN informed a waiter who in turn informed the chef, we still saw raw asparagus served at the buffet.

Edited by Rosefloater

Thanks for all your replies but I knowyou cannot take food off the ship , but honestly that is NOT the question I asked !!

It is just that we are on an all day tour in Dominica being picked up in the morning and doing 3 different beauty spots so doubt there will be any shops nearby and the tour does not provide lunch so was just wondering if anybody had ever had a packed lunch

Thanks for all your replies but I knowyou cannot take food off the ship , but honestly that is NOT the question I asked !!

It is just that we are on an all day tour in Dominica being picked up in the morning and doing 3 different beauty spots so doubt there will be any shops nearby and the tour does not provide lunch so was just wondering if anybody had ever had a packed lunch

Princess does not pack lunches. All the other posts were friendly warnings about sneaking food off the ship.