Perhaps an odd Princess question

PEB

First I have cruised many times and even worked on cruise ships and for Princess Lodges in Alaska so I am not new to cruising. I have cruised Princess 12 times in the past but it has been a few years. I like to try other lines and the economy put a slight hold on my cruising. With that being said Princess always was our favorite cruise line and we are planning on going back to Princess again.

We are looking at cruising Princess next year so I have been doing a lot of research, which includes looking at video's of Princess ships and cruises. My question is that Princess looks like it has gone a little more formal looking then I remember, is this true over say 5 years ago? The ships still look great on the inside but they do look fancier then I remember even ships I was on have made quite a few changes on the inside.

I have always found a subtle elegance about Princess but I always had a welcoming feeling and comfortable feeling while cruising onboard. Many video's seem to show things a little fancier then I remember, but then again my memory is not always great, and real formal things make me feel uncomfortable.

Like I said in the subject perhaps an odd question but any answers would be appreciated.

Is Princess as relaxed as I remember? I am not a high energy type person and not a totally relaxed person, I just enjoy doing things at a relaxed pace with no pressure for being fancy.

I think the videos are showing more formal than you will see on the ship for sure. We have sailed Princess for more than 10 years, and if anything the people cruising and less formal than they were back then (including us). We used to take formal wear, including a tux for my DH, but now he takes no more than a suit of slacks and jacket. I am more inclined to nice pants and sparkly top for formal night, if we even go to the dining room that night.

I still feel, when I board and go to my cabin, that I am coming home, and am complete relaxed. Don't worry about it getting more "fancy." It's not.

Other than the nights designated for more formal dress, I find Princess to be very relaxing. Even the formal dress has been relaxed in the Caribbean to a certain degree.

As to the videos, if you are referring to advertising videos, they are probably just that, advertising. Only three cruises in my past, but all the videos I have seen were a whole lot fancier than the actual cruise.

If anything, Princess is much more informal than it used to be in spite of the models in the ads and promos. :) Not quite as low energy as HAL nor high energy like Carnival or RCL. I find it relaxing. Personally, I haven't figured out the new Princess slogan of "Come back new" means... Maybe some day I'll get it. I don't need a new me. I'm doing just fine, thank you. Instead, I think Princess is still "Escape completely."

Edited by Pam in CA

We have 22 cruises with Princess. I think Princess is about the same... depends on where you cruise.

Since you mention you use to work for Princess lodges in Alaska... I think folks are less formal going to Alaska, if that is your point of reference.

In general as ships have gotten larger and attrack a wide passenger base -ships have become less formal.

We still love to dress for formal nights no matter what cruise we go on ... we still take casual and informal clothes as well. So you will see folks who dress up as we do every night and some who dress down.

Hope you enjoy your Princess cruise.

Enjoy! You'll see the whole gamut of dress, from super casual to super formal, depending where you go. I was in Hawaii in October and it was pretty casual. Alaska in 2008 was the same way. I'm not sure when/where my next cruise will be - my parents are doing a coastal cruise in the fall, but I won't be able to join them due to work and school.

Last 5 cruises I bring a black suit along with a white turtle neck shirts. I can't stand ties and starched shirts. Sometimes I bring a black turtle neck shirt and I works out well.

If anything, Princess is much more informal than it used to be in spite of the models in the ads and promos. :) Not quite as low energy as HAL nor high energy like Carnival or RCL. I find it relaxing. Personally, I haven't figured out the new Princess slogan of "Come back new" means... Maybe some day I'll get it. I don't need a new me. I'm doing just fine, thank you. Instead, I think Princess is still "Escape completely."

I don't quite get the new slogan either. We all understood "Escape Completely", that being said, I believe they are trying to suggest that after a cruise on Princess, you will have relaxed so much, you would have escaped completely, you will be so refreshed from cruising with Princess, that you will be so revitalized and and renewed. So after a week long cruise you will feel so much better physically and emotionally, hence you will "come back new".

So that's my explanation! But if you have to put that much thought into a slogan, Is the new slogan working?

:confused:

Edited by dedosr

Personally, I haven't figured out the new Princess slogan of "Come back new" means... Maybe some day I'll get it. I don't need a new me. I'm doing just fine, thank you. Instead, I think Princess is still "Escape completely."

Pam, you crack me up.. The "Come Back New" threw me too.. I was wondering ifwe all got our own personal dry docking.. :D

We have found Princess to be pretty casual. Except on formal nights I am always comfortable with pants and a collared shirt.

I mix golf shirts and subtle Hawaiian shirts with Jeans, khakis, or a pair of slacks.

On formal nights I add a sport coat and tie to slacks, Or just the sport coat.

Never felt uncomfortable at any function or activity on the ship.

I don't quite get the new slogan either. We all understood "Escape Completely", that being said, I believe they are trying to suggest that after a cruise on Princess, you will have relaxed so much, you would have escaped completely, you will be so refreshed from cruising with Princess, that you will be so revitalized and and renewed. So after a week long cruise you will feel so much better physically and emotionally, hence you will "come back new".

So that's my explanation! But if you have to put that much thought into a slogan, Is the new slogan working?

:confused:

It makes me tired just thinking about it. I need to "Escape Completely" so I can "Come Back New."

We agree. We love to "escape completely"!! :D

I thank all of you for the answers. It is appreciated. I have always enjoyed Princess and it sounds like I will still enjoy cruising on Princess. I am looking forward to it, now we just have to decide which destination and when to go.

About six or so years ago, one of my fellow PTA moms said she had just returned from a modeling gig with her (then-) husband on a Princess ship, shooting a brochure. She actually got to go on a cruise. I would guess she was in her late 30s or so at that time.

I agree that the new tagline is mystifying. It's been many years since I worked at an ad agency that handled Princess back then, and I don't remember what the tagline was back when. I did like "Where I Belong" and "Escape Completely."

I thank all of you for the answers. It is appreciated. I have always enjoyed Princess and it sounds like I will still enjoy cruising on Princess. I am looking forward to it, now we just have to decide which destination and when to go.
Any chance of persuading you to take our Grand Princess cruise to/from HI next year? :) Would love to get together with you. {{{ hugs }}}

I think the ships do look more formal than they used to, what with all the glitz and glamour of the Piazzas, especially on the Royal Princess, but that's where it ends.

About six or so years ago' date=' one of my fellow PTA moms said she had just returned from a modeling gig with her (then-) husband on a Princess ship, shooting a brochure. She actually got to go on a cruise. I would guess she was in her late 30s or so at that time.

I agree that the new tagline is mystifying. It's been many years since I worked at an ad agency that handled Princess back then, and I don't remember what the tagline was back when. I did like "Where I Belong" and "Escape Completely."[/quote']

We've talked with crew members who have been on during those photo sessions. They said it's funny because you have all the "regular" Princess cruisers and then you have the models who don't look or dress quite the same. ;-) They work very hard to make sure that even background people are models...can't let any of us who aren't size 6 with perfect hair and teeth ruin the image. What always amazes me is how much everyone in the promotional materials has a huge smile all the time. I mean, I love cruising more than many and even I don't have a smile like that plastered on at every occasion.

As for Come Back New- my first thought was that it was somehow related to those spa lectures on how to look 10 years younger. That was DH's and my joke...to stay on the ship long enough to look 30 or 40 years younger.

We've talked with crew members who have been on during those photo sessions. They said it's funny because you have all the "regular" Princess cruisers and then you have the models who don't look or dress quite the same. ;-) They work very hard to make sure that even background people are models...can't let any of us who aren't size 6 with perfect hair and teeth ruin the image.

Part of this is legal. By only using models in the ads, they have covered all liabilities for using a person's likeness.

Part of this is legal. By only using models in the ads, they have covered all liabilities for using a person's likeness.

The passage contract already allows for this.

"You grant Carrier and its licensees the right to use Your photograph/voice/indicia taken during Your Cruise, in any fashion for any purpose in all media now known or hereafter devised without any limitations whatsoever."