Is that really a fashion ''faux paux'' not so sure.

dolittle

As to the the front page of this site currently is a "Hawiian shirt'' really a fashion ''faux paux'' on a cruise. I don't think so and Iam often very critical of the way many dress on cruises and in other countries(Europe). The other two pictures are right on, a man in a spedo and a women in a robe no debate in my book but a floral shirt on a guy is O.K. with me on a cruise or beach vaction . What do you think while I have never worn one I do own two and the next time I am in the Caribbean I will go for it no robe or spedo though .B.T.W. what would you replace the shirt with mine would be matching t-shirts this is just goofy to me but I know some get a kick in dressing alike . What is your idea of a ''faux paux''

The "article" was talking about Hawaiian shirts in Alaska. That one I'll agree with. Some of the others were questionable though. Why worry about large bags? A beach bag is huge and they are often seen on cruises. I'm not a fan of the articles that are posted on Cruise Critic's front page. They're often written by someone who has never been on a cruise ship.

My idea of a fashion "faux pas" is taking seriously anyone as empty-headed and sheeplike as a fashion writer. If they had valid opinions, they'd stick to them. As it is, they change their mind every year in a bid to keep up with what everyone else is thinking.

If Hawaiian shirts were ever OK to wear, they still are. If they were ever unsuitable for wearing, they still are. It's your call.

Oh please....do you really care what the other people think? I mean, some of them will be wearing shorts and wife-beaters to dinner....some will be in speedos....some (women) will not have shaved their armpits....

Wear what you want! I like Hawaiian shirts...they are tropical and casual...and most men look good in them. The ship is certainly NOT a big fashion place! Absolutely no fashion sense in about 85% of the passengers!

Edited by cb at sea

Another fashion "faux pas" often mentioned is socks with sandals and that is what I sometimes prefer to wear. Don't care in the least what others think. Most Speedos and other swimwear I have seen cause me to avert my eyes for the unpleasant sight but eye aversion is easy to do. Hawaiian shirts are an easy call for me personally, as in what is the problem? I can explain what my problem with fashion around the pool, but will refrain.

Edited by jamessemaj

My DH's favorite "Hawaiian" shirt was purchased in Alaska. It has all the usual animals, bears, moose, wolves. It also has pictures of planes AND cruise ships!!:D:D:D

Take my money now! Hawaiian Shirt with a Moose. Gotta have it.

Another fashion "faux pas" often mentioned is socks with sandals and that is what I sometimes prefer to wear. Don't care in the least what others think. Most Speedos and other swimwear I have seen cause me to avert my eyes for the unpleasant sight but eye aversion is easy to do. Hawaiian shirts are an easy call for me personally, as in what is the problem? I can explain what my problem with fashion around the pool, but will refrain.

Don't tell my 18 year old DD's that their wool socks and Birkenstocks are a fashion faux pas! That's everyday dressing to them these days.

I tend to think if you really "own" something then it's just your style and the fashion faux pas thing just goes out the window.

I am always worried about people who simply cannot handle the way other dress, and that it bothers them so much that they have to post something for everyone else to see.

To me, as long as the "naughty bits" are covered who cares! If I want to wear a Hawaiian shirt in Alaska, then I will. If I want to wear a speedo, I will (But I never would since those days are long gone for me).

If I see a woman wearing a swimsuit that is too small for her, I think to myself, "as long as she feels good, who cares what others think!"

As long as you fit the level of dress when it is required (dressing more formally when dining for example), wear whatever you want!

When I was in Hischool, a group of us went to summer camp for a week. One friend took 9 Hawaiian shirts!!:eek: For a week?, most of us took 3 T-shirts and called it enough.

I do not like wearing a tie, but admit seeing men in tuxes makes me think I should dress up a bit.

Hawaiian shirts are always okay as far as I'm concerned. My hubby wears tropical shirts when not at work (he wears a dress shirt and tie there). For smart casual dinners in the MDR on cruises, he's usually wearing a tropical shirts.

In fact, in cold weather you can wear a tropical shirt open over a long sleeve collarless solid shirt in cool weather if you can match the colors right. I don't care whether that's fashionable or not.

I rarely read the front page articles on this site, but sometimes I see a link in the emails sent and decide to check one out. I usually find at least one or two items I disagree with, but for some reason I have trouble posting on them.

My DH's favorite "Hawaiian" shirt was purchased in Alaska. It has all the usual animals, bears, moose, wolves. It also has pictures of planes AND cruise ships!!:D:D:D

How did I miss that one? LOVE it

As to the the front page of this site currently is a "Hawiian shirt'' really a fashion ''faux paux'' on a cruise. I don't think so and Iam often very critical of the way many dress on cruises and in other countries(Europe). The other two pictures are right on, a man in a spedo and a women in a robe no debate in my book but a floral shirt on a guy is O.K. with me on a cruise or beach vaction . What do you think while I have never worn one I do own two and the next time I am in the Caribbean I will go for it no robe or spedo though .B.T.W. what would you replace the shirt with mine would be matching t-shirts this is just goofy to me but I know some get a kick in dressing alike . What is your idea of a ''faux paux''

In my opinion, not a faux pas in the Caribbean or Hawaii, but certainly one in Europe, Asia, etc.

Hawaiian shirts are always okay as far as I'm concerned. My hubby wears tropical shirts when not at work (he wears a dress shirt and tie there). For smart casual dinners in the MDR on cruises' date=' he's usually wearing a tropical shirts.

In fact, in cold weather you can wear a tropical shirt open over a long sleeve collarless solid shirt in cool weather if you can match the colors right. I don't care whether that's fashionable or not.

I rarely read the front page articles on this site, but sometimes I see a link in the emails sent and decide to check one out. I usually find at least one or two items I disagree with, but for some reason I have trouble posting on them.[/quote']

I would kill my husband if he ever wore a tropical shirt over a long sleeved shirt. Actually any short sleeved shirt over a long sleeved one.

In my opinion, not a faux pas in the Caribbean or Hawaii, but certainly one in Europe, Asia, etc.

Please tell me - how can something look fine in Barbados but not fine in Italy? Or fine in Hawaii but not fine in the Phillippines?

Please tell me - how can something look fine in Barbados but not fine in Italy? Or fine in Hawaii but not fine in the Phillippines?

Maybe you've never heard the saying, "When in Rome."

There may very well be a certain comparability between Hawaii and the Phillippines when it comes to wardrobe, but what works on the beach in Barbados might seem just a bit outré in the Vatican.

It is indeed a "Faux pas" to call it a Faux Paux (false pal).

I would kill my husband if he ever wore a tropical shirt over a long sleeved shirt. Actually any short sleeved shirt over a long sleeved one.

My hubby doesn't, but I would be fine with it, if it's cool weather. He has a heavy coat that he'll wear over whatever shirt he's wearing if it's cold enough.

Maybe you've never heard the saying, "When in Rome."

I've heard the saying. I never gave it Biblical importance.

Last time I was in Rome, the locals were mostly wearing leather coats or other warm-weather gear because it was (by their standards) cold. I was in shirtsleeves because it was (by my standards) warm. Oh dear, another fashion faux pas.

Before my first cruise I worried for months about my wardrobe choices. During my first cruise I realized that people were on vacation and the only person who even gave me a second glance was my husband :-) On my next cruises I enjoyed wearing what I felt was appropriate inaccordance to the suggested attire, and not so much wanting to impress other cruisers.