Dialisis

bryjohn

Which type of dialysis are you talking about? My husband has APD. He has started this since our previous cruise so won't be able to try it out until next year. I understand the fluid is delivered to the Port Agent by the Company (Baxters?) and you have to take your equipment and other supplies with you. Celebrity's website provides a lot of information includ8ing their social services dept.

It makes a big difference whether it is hemodialysis or peritoneal dialysis and whether the person or someone travelling with them is trained to administer the dialysis. Has the person on dialysis discussed with their provider if they are medically stable enough to travel? I would think that might be the first step.

Good luck. Please let us all know what the outcome is, as it would be great information to have on this board.

Just got off the Equinox on March 14th and met a man at the Sunset Bar (smoking a cigar) who said his wife was getting dialysis. He said there were 11 dialysis patients on the ship. He was very happy and enjoying the cruise. I later met both of them in the hallway and she said she was having a great time.

When I was exiting the ship to go onshore I saw a room marked dialysis.

Hope you find a nice cruise.

As a previous poster stated, check Dialysis At Sea. They will list all cruise ships & their sailing schedules . I met a dialysis nurse on a prior cruise where there were 7 patients. She said for those patients there were 2 nurses & 1 nephrologist. They meet with the patients the night of embarkation & are responsible for the actual hemodialysis. Any other health issues that may arise are then managed by the medical staff on board. For this cruise several dialysis machines were loaded onboard to allow for any mechanical issues as there are no biomedical techs to fix the equipment if needed. Good luck & have fun!

CAN ANYONE PLESE TELL ME IF THEY KNOW OF A SHIP THAT HAS DIALISIS EQUIPTMENT ONBOARD. or could take your own,

Thanks

Before my partner got his transplant he did Peritoneal. It was rather hectic getting all those bags(from Baxter) delivered. We got bumped up to a Grill Suite on the QM2 in 2009.The bags arrived in our old room. It took some time to get the delivery corrected.A bit scary, but it worked out fine. I think most lines are more used to it now. & it's easier. It's the damn TSA that complicates things at the ports.

Out of curiosity, is there a cost for the dialysis at sea service and is it covered by any insurances?

I have a friend who has asked about cursing but needs dialysis.

If you access the dialysis at sea website there is a lot of info about payment. insurance, scheduling etc. I use BING as my search engine & just typed dialysis at sea but the actual company is called that.

If you access the dialysis at sea website there is a lot of info about payment. insurance, scheduling etc. I use BING as my search engine & just typed dialysis at sea but the actual company is called that.

Thanks I'll look at their website again, I was in there, but never came across pricing.

Imagine it must be pricey, seeing a prior poster said there were 7 patients and 3 staff brought on board (cruise fare for the 3 nurses and transportation....) plus all the equipment....

• 11 months later...
CAN ANYONE PLESE TELL ME IF THEY KNOW OF A SHIP THAT HAS DIALISIS EQUIPTMENT ONBOARD. or could take your own,

Thanks

It depends on what type of dialysis you are talking about. If you mean pd dialysis rather than haemodialysis then there is no problem and you can travel on any Celebrity ship. You just have to be independent. Have a look at medical on FAQs. There is a section on dialysis.

We are on our first cruise following DH starting dialysis at the end of May. We've decided not to take his machine with us and all the supplies and have elected CAPD to cut down on what we need to take. We were told that Baxters the supplier would supply CAPD as well as usual for home choice machine as they couldn't supply another machine if it went wrong on cruise and we needed manual backup.

There are some issues were currently trying to overcome as C's port agent will only take delivery on the day of the cruise and Baxters want to deliver the day before. We're leaving it to them to argue it out.

I will post our experience when we return in June in case that helps other dialysis patients.

• 3 months later...
Jules57, would you be able to post your dialysis experience from your cruise in June?

We were able to liaise with the Michaels Club Concierge a few days before we sailed and he ensured the supplies reached our stateroom. I hate to think how much space you would need if supplies were taken for both automated and manual systems.

No issue with delivery then.

Problem no 1 was that if we had taken machine with us, there would have been nowhere to plug it in in bedroom of suite but that isn't an issue in a normal stateroom.

The main problem my DH had was that the manual system didn't work for him and he started to feel unwell after 4 days. He started to retain fluid and his feet swelled. He lost his appetite and felt sick so he probably had fluid around his heart. However we did not feel it necessary to contact the Medical Centre but worked around it.

This was our first cruise since he started dialysis although have taken self catering holidays in UK.

What we have learned is that although other people can get on with manual system on holiday he needs to take his machine.

We have booked another cruise for next year but only 8 nights around Scotland and islands. We will probably take supplies with us to avoid Baxters delivery supplies for both automated and manual methods.

We are going to book a shorter cruise as well partially as we want to try other companies. Have to say that Fred Olsen have been very helpful so far and will have to see how we get on with that company which is very different from X. However we were attracted by the itinerary. The other will be Cunard or P & O so we will see what their attitudes are like.

My DH's nurse got him back on the right track after a week or 10 days so no lasting damage.

We want to try and build up confidence to see if we can do a longer cruise in 2017 but if not will stick to shorter cruises.

Hope this helps.

Thanks I'll look at their website again, I was in there, but never came across pricing.

Imagine it must be pricey, seeing a prior poster said there were 7 patients and 3 staff brought on board (cruise fare for the 3 nurses and transportation....) plus all the equipment....

Yes, it is pricey for all the reasons you have stated. Maybe some private insurance policies would cover it, but I really doubt it.

So you pay a high price for the cabin, double occupancy. In addition to that you pay for each dialysis treatment. How many depends on the length of the cruise. For a 7 day cruise you need 3 treatments. Roughly $650.00 per treatment. There are also document fees and the home dialysis center has to turn in lots of info on time. Of course, any traveling dialysis anywhere is paid for out of pocket. In London it was close to $900.00 per treatment.

But you must know that Dialysis At Sea is a great company and work very hard to make sure patients and their traveling companions have a great trip.

Hapag-Lloyd Europa has it all the time. EM

The Europa2 also has it. When last onboard we were talking to the doctor that does it. It was not the regular ships doctor but a expert in that field. He said they had the latest equipment.

Sent from my SM-T320 using Forums mobile app

Thanks

If you do Peritoneal(like my partner did before his transplant)you can take the machine on board. It's getting the diasilate solution deliverd that can get a bit sketchy. HAL frequently has dialisis cruises.

The cruise lines do NOT have hemodialysis.

The company Dialysis at Sea and other companies in Europe contract space and cabins to provide hemodialysis on cruises. The only other way to get Hemodialysis on a cruise is to get it in a port of call. I have heard of a portable machine, I think called, Nexstage, or something like that but do not know much about it.

Not referring to peritoneal or PD that is managed by patient in their room.