what is it with pools on a cruise ship??

Hi!

I read posts of people who don't use the pools or hot tub because they want to avoid infections... Is there something worst in the pools than let say.... at the buffet??? Is it worst than your community pool?? Do they use a different way to sanitize that is less efficient?? I'm concerned.... :confused:

Thanks for sharing your knowledge on this. :rolleyes:

Hi!

I read posts of people who don't use the pools or hot tub because they want to avoid infections... Is there something worst in the pools than let say.... at the buffet??? Is it worst than your community pool?? Do they use a different way to sanitize that is less efficient?? I'm concerned.... :confused:

Ho boy. You let yourself in for a detailed technical description of the pools and hot tubs, so here goes.

The USPH regulates all aspects of sanitation (and other things) on cruise ships calling at US ports, one of which is pool sanitation. Most of the USPH inspectors that I know are ex-health inspectors from major cities like NYC. They will tell you that the sanitation measures taken aboard cruise ships is far better than nearly all shore pools. Chlorination levels are generally higher than shore pools, and this causes many complaints of fading swimwear.

That being said, a lot of the pools are sea water, and to save time and money on chemicals, the cruise lines are allowed to place these pools in "flow through" mode when more than 12 miles from shore. In flow through mode, sea water is constantly taken from the sea, pumped into the pool, and the overflow is drained right overboard again. In this mode, no chemicals are required to be used. However, all pools, whether sea or fresh water, within 12 miles of land must be recirculated and chemicals added.

Now we come to the hot tubs. Remember, these are public hot tubs, not the one in your backyard, so anywhere up to several hundred people may use them in a day. The chlorination of the hot tubs is kept even higher than the pools (8-10ppm), and this causes many to complain of the smell, and worse than fading swimwear, it will tend to boil out the threads of inexpensive swimwear. The hot tubs are generally kept at 140*, which coincidentally is the prime breeding temperature for the legionnaire's bacteria. So, if this is introduced into the tub, and we then aerosolize it with the air jets, we have a prime candidate for inhalation of legionnaire's disease. To minimize this, the hot tubs are drained nightly, super-chlorinated, and scrubbed.

I think many people are just skeeved out about sharing a hot tub with a hundred or so total strangers (I'm one of them), and many don't realize that the sea water pools are chlorinated when close to land or in port. You also have a more closely knit community onboard than you do at your home pool, so infectious diseases tend to get started, and spread more quickly in places like cruise ships, nursing homes, college dorms, etc.

Apologize for giving you way more than you probably wanted, but I use these threads to get out facts about ship sanitation to the cruising public.

chengkp75, thank you for your response! Very detailed and very comprehensive! Love it!

So I'm ok with the risk of using the pools but I will try to use the hot tub early in the morning... when it's clean! :D

Thanks again!

Add to that, they can scrub them every night, chlorinate them, fill them with whatever they like, but that doesn't stop some kids and adults from relieving themselves in the pool, right next to you. No thank you. I had to clean a motel pool for most of my teen years. The bathing load didn't come close to a cruise pool. You don't even want to know....

Sent from my SGH-T999 using Forums mobile app

Ho boy. You let yourself in for a detailed technical description of the pools and hot tubs, so here goes.

The USPH regulates all aspects of sanitation (and other things) on cruise ships calling at US ports, one of which is pool sanitation. Most of the USPH inspectors that I know are ex-health inspectors from major cities like NYC. They will tell you that the sanitation measures taken aboard cruise ships is far better than nearly all shore pools. Chlorination levels are generally higher than shore pools, and this causes many complaints of fading swimwear.

That being said, a lot of the pools are sea water, and to save time and money on chemicals, the cruise lines are allowed to place these pools in "flow through" mode when more than 12 miles from shore. In flow through mode, sea water is constantly taken from the sea, pumped into the pool, and the overflow is drained right overboard again. In this mode, no chemicals are required to be used. However, all pools, whether sea or fresh water, within 12 miles of land must be recirculated and chemicals added.

Now we come to the hot tubs. Remember, these are public hot tubs, not the one in your backyard, so anywhere up to several hundred people may use them in a day. The chlorination of the hot tubs is kept even higher than the pools (8-10ppm), and this causes many to complain of the smell, and worse than fading swimwear, it will tend to boil out the threads of inexpensive swimwear. The hot tubs are generally kept at 140*, which coincidentally is the prime breeding temperature for the legionnaire's bacteria. So, if this is introduced into the tub, and we then aerosolize it with the air jets, we have a prime candidate for inhalation of legionnaire's disease. To minimize this, the hot tubs are drained nightly, super-chlorinated, and scrubbed.

I think many people are just skeeved out about sharing a hot tub with a hundred or so total strangers (I'm one of them), and many don't realize that the sea water pools are chlorinated when close to land or in port. You also have a more closely knit community onboard than you do at your home pool, so infectious diseases tend to get started, and spread more quickly in places like cruise ships, nursing homes, college dorms, etc.

Apologize for giving you way more than you probably wanted, but I use these threads to get out facts about ship sanitation to the cruising public.

Thanks for the info. Better recheck the 140* degrees. Most tubs I has seen even some usually hotter on princess, range from 100-105. You could not stand 140 degrees as would have some big time skin burning.

Thanks for the info. Better recheck the 140* degrees. Most tubs I has seen even some usually hotter on princess, range from 100-105. You could not stand 140 degrees as would have some big time skin burning.

Correct, the maximum setting on hot tubs is usually 104°. :)

Thank you for the info chengkp75 and the others.

I don't use the hot tubs because it makes my blood pressure go up.

Now I am glad I don't use them!

~Robin

Norwegian Breakaway July 2014

Carnival Miracle 2010

Carnival Legend 2006

The sun is probably the worst culprit for faded swimwear. Mine fades, but only on the OUTSIDE, where the sun hits! The inside of my suits stays the original color, but the outside does fade. Therefore, it's the sun, not the chlorine, that is fading my suits!!!

Not that this has anything to do with anything....just giving what I see happening!

I will take a dip in the pools, although I never use the hot tubs....but I shower off, too. I would never get into a pool (anywhere) with open cuts or half-healed sores....that's just a direct line to an infection!!!

The hot tubs are generally kept at 140*, which coincidentally is the prime breeding temperature for the legionnaire's bacteria.

140 F would be way too hot for a hot tub. It would kill a person quickly. 140 C is well above the boiling point, and would kill instantly.

The sun is probably the worst culprit for faded swimwear. Mine fades, but only on the OUTSIDE, where the sun hits! The inside of my suits stays the original color, but the outside does fade. Therefore, it's the sun, not the chlorine, that is fading my suits!!!

Not that this has anything to do with anything....just giving what I see happening!

I will take a dip in the pools, although I never use the hot tubs....but I shower off, too. I would never get into a pool (anywhere) with open cuts or half-healed sores....that's just a direct line to an infection!!!

Your suit would not fade in the sun if you were at the beach. The sun accelerates the fading by the chlorine.

Last summer on the Grandeur in the Solarium while I was having a snack, I watched a guy literally 'take a bath' in the hot tub. He was alone in it and there were lots of people around, but he washed his arm pits, scrubbed his hair, then went under water and came up washing his face. :eek:

I don't go in the hot tubs to begin with but after watching that... I definately will never go in!

I guess he didn't need to shower that night!

Last summer on the Grandeur in the Solarium while I was having a snack, I watched a guy literally 'take a bath' in the hot tub. He was alone in it and there were lots of people around, but he washed his arm pits, scrubbed his hair, then went under water and came up washing his face. :eek:

I don't go in the hot tubs to begin with but after watching that... I definately will never go in!

I guess he didn't need to shower that night!

I have always said it is like taking a bath with someone, now you have proved it! lol

I don't care how many chemicals, whatever, they put in that water I don't go near them. Sorry, bit of a germaphobe here.:eek:

Hi!

Simply put, they can be enjoyable. Just like everything else on a cruise ship that has lots of people in a small area.....germs are there. Some people do things they shouldn't everywhere on a cruise ship, from the buffet lines to in the pools and hot tubs, which is sad.

But germs can be found everywhere and I mean everywhere. So I am not going to let a few germs get in my way. One of the problems of most people is that they have terrible immune systems.....I guess I am fortunate....I have not been sick in over 11 years....and I don't live in a bubble. I work in a job that requires me to handle money, which is one of the dirties commodities around and interact with people who seem to always be sneezing and coughing (from my customers to my co-workers).

Be reasonable when YOU use the pool and hot tub. Rinse off and enjoy!

I agreed with most of what you said except for this ridiculous statement. No hot tub is kept higher than 104 to 106. The body cannot stand 140 degrees.

Personally I believe these pools and spas are much safer than any other at home or at the gym or anywhere else...simply because the water is changed so often. We have a pool and we have never drained and refilled it...not in 3 years. And sorry to be so blunt, but anyone with a pool knows people are going to pee in it...that is the reason for the chemicals in the first place.

So either get over it or stay out of it....just sayin.

BTW the epidermis is a wonderful organ that is meant to keep you from getting infections. People should trust it to do what it's intended for.

The epidermis is a stratified squamous epithelium,[2] composed of proliferating basal and differentiated suprabasal keratinocytes which acts as the body's major barrier against an inhospitable environment, by preventing pathogens from entering, making the skin a natural barrier to infection.[3] It also regulates the amount of water released from the body into the atmosphere through transepidermal water loss. Wikipedia

Edited by BecciBoo

I agreed with most of what you said except for this ridiculous statement. No hot tub is kept higher than 104 to 106. The body cannot stand 140 degrees.

That was put to rest many posts ago on the first page of this thread. Clearly the OP made a typo. :)

Edited by ryano