Hotel near to cruise terminal Fort launderdale

coops14

Hi

We are flying from the Uk and need a hotel to stay in for one night before the cruise.

The ship sales from Fort Launderdale and at the moment the travel agent have put in is a hotel in Miami seafront.

We were wondering if we would be better staying in a hotel closer to the dock, rather than getting a taxi from Miami to the dock in the morning.

Thanks for your help

You might want to check out the Florida departures board for info. This thread will likely be moved there.

Personally, I'd rather stay the night in Fort Lauderdale as it will make your embarkation day much easier.

For a Royal cruise we're on next winter, a fellow cruiser from the UK has purchased a Princess transfer that includes transport from Miami to Fort Lauderdale on the day of arrival, an overnight stay at Embassy Suites and then transport to the port for £90 ($150) each. Seems like a reasonable price to pay.

Enjoy your cruise...

Lew

:DIt seems so silly to pay for a transfer from Miami to Fort Lauderdale when there are perfectly nice hotels right near the Pier. I always stay in the Renasaince By the Pier Hotel its right across the street from the Culinary Art Institute which has fabulous dinners at very reasonable prices. The money you save can be put to upgrade your hotel to the "club" level which will entitle you to a great Breakfast and evening snacks and liquors, if you are so inclined. In any event, have a fabulous trip.

After a tiring TA flight, you will be ready for the hotel, so I suggest you choose a hotel near the airport. Boarding starts early afternoon, so plenty of time to transfer to the port.

Are you flying into MIA or FLL?

Definetely transfer to Fort Lauderdale from Miami Airport and stay there the night before cruise. Taxi cost $80 - $100 inc tip. We stayed for a few days before cruise at Courtyard Fort Lauderdale Beach. This not really close to the docks but suited us.

We have also flown and used Princess transfers which put you up at a hotel overnight as previous post advises. You should be able to book this online under your booking number or ask your TA to arrange through Princess.

Edited by Gettingwarmer

Definetely transfer to Fort Lauderdale from Miami Airport and stay there the night before cruise. Taxi cost $80 - $100 inc tip.

While you didn't ask about transportation - you might also consider using a livery service for transportation between Miami and the Port Everglades area. When I checked the costs last November, they weren't that much higher than a taxi, and the ride was so much more enjoyable in a livery car. I was very pleased with A1A Limo.

After a tiring TA flight, you will be ready for the hotel, so I suggest you choose a hotel near the airport. Boarding starts early afternoon, so plenty of time to transfer to the port.

Are you flying into MIA or FLL?

Definitely disagree with you. No way would they want to taxi from Miami to FLL in the morning. Traffic. Traffic. Traffic. That taxi ride could cost a small fortune.

Hi

We are flying from the Uk and need a hotel to stay in for one night before the cruise.

The ship sales from Fort Launderdale and at the moment the travel agent have put in is a hotel in Miami seafront.

We were wondering if we would be better staying in a hotel closer to the dock, rather than getting a taxi from Miami to the dock in the morning.

Thanks for your help

Definitely stay in FLL. And use a shuttle service instead of a taxi.

Assume you will be arriving Miami airport somewhere around 18:00/20:00 local time. A private taxi from Miami airport to Fort Lauderdale is approximately US$75 to $85 (don't forget the tip) and takes about 45mins. Take a look at the hotels in the S.E.17th St. area which is just right next to Port Everglades. There you can find, The Renaissance, Embassy Suites, Holiday Inn Express, Hyatt Regency Pier 66, Hyatt Place, Hilton Marina, Crown Plaza and many others a little further away. If it was me I would transfer to Fort Lauderdale upon arrival and not wait until the next day. You never know what kind of traffic issues you can encounter on Interstate 95.

The Renaissance Hotel is a good choice. It's nearby Port Everglades, and as previously mentioned, a short walk to restaurants and a drug store.

A shuttle runs between the hotel and the cruise docks.

http://www.marriott.com/hotels/travel/fllbr-renaissance-fort-lauderdale-hotel/

Since when? Is this something new? They don't even run an airport shuttle.

Since when? Is this something new? They don't even run an airport shuttle.

They did have a port shuttle when we stayed there but I think its $7 pp. We watched as people were pushing and shoving to get on. We walked and made it to the porters as the shuttle was pulling up.

Hi

Thanks for your help

Here is a reasonable great place to stay within a few blocks of the pier and close to restaurants and shops. Hyatt Place.

http://ftlauderdaleconventioncenter.place.hyatt.com/en/hotel/home.html

If your travel agent has not booked you a Princess Transfer from your hotel in Miami the next morning to the pier in Ft. Lauderdale, then it makes some sense to get a hotel in Ft. Lauderdale on the night of arrival. Have your travel agent arrange for a car service to meet you in Miami to take you up to Ft. Lauderdale.

The Renaissance in Ft. Lauderdale is a nice property - we stay there often - but it does not provide a shuttle to the pier. However they will call you a cab, and that is an easy little ride over to the pier. The Holiday Inn Express on S. 17th St. provides shuttle service but I believe they charge a nominal fee for it. Embassy Suites also puts you close by. The existence of shuttle service vs. taking a cab should not be a "deciding factor". We use taxi service even if the hotel provides a shuttle, to avoid what we find to be a kind of mob factor with a shuttle service. Just us, we find a cab more relaxing.

If things go smoothly for your ship when it arrives in the morning, boarding should start slightly before noon, so you may want to plan to arrive at the pier before 11:30. Or wait until about 12:45 to arrive to avoid the initial rush - entirely your choice. Most hotel check out times will be 11 a.m., which makes checking out, and grabbing a cab a logical progression.

Bon Voyage!

Book early. The closer you get to these hotels on 17th st., the prices go up. In February, I booked last summer and a lot of hotels had already raised their prices (and it is high season). So for our December cruise, have it already booked (in March this year). I really like Holiday Inn express. You can walk into pier if you are at Pier 2. We took a shuttle,

no pushing and easy to board. Hotel makes the reservation for a specific time and limited in how many people at that time.

This time am trying Embassy suites.

I agree with the others. Make the effort to go to Ft. Lauderdale to stay overnight and get all your traveling done and over with.

The Renaissance is nearest to the port but doesn't include breakfast. Embassy Suites and Hyatt Place Convention Center are just a few blocks away and include breakfast. They are also a two-minute walk to Total Wine if you want to pick up wine for your cruise as well as a supermarket if you want to purchase soda, toiletries or any last-minute items before boarding.

Edited by Pam in CA

Good advice from the posters above recommending staying in Ft. Lauderdale. Nothing against Miami Beach but, as a long time Florida resident before moving to the desert:eek:, I have been to both cities numerous times. The morning traffic between Miami and Ft. Lauderdale is busy at best but let some distracted yahoo (and Florida has lots of them) gets into a fender bender it is like most urban expressways, it goes from slow to stop. Better to do the drive (assuming you are flying into MIA) the evening before. The hotels recommended above are all good choices for one reason or the other. We like to stay at Pier 66 Marina. Not the best in FLL but we like it for its location (right across 17th st from the Port), the fact you can catch a water taxi right there (a great way to see the sights and get a running commentary on the homes of the rich & famous), and the Grille 66 Restaurant is a favorite of ours. On the water with good food and service. We like a tower room with a view of the port. This gives you nice views of the ships coming and going and we always get a kick out of seeing "our" ship arrive. Lots of good choices in FLL but, as others have noted, it is high season in the Winter so book ASAP.:D

We stayed at the Crowne Plaza three years ago, located directly across the street from Port Everglades. It was nice to have a room from which we could see the ships in port! They have a shuttle to the port for $7 or $8 per person. There is a restaurant in the hotel, so you don't need to venture out for dinner or breakfast if you don't want to. This is not a 5-star luxury hotel, but it was clean and nicely appointed and met our needs very well. It is our go-to place for future cruises from Fort Lauderdale.

We have stayed at the Holiday Inn express and the Hilton marina. Both within walking distance. Both use the port shuttle for $7 pp to get to ship. Holiday Inn has breakfast, and is very basic, but nice people. Hilton was a great stay with the view over the intercoastal. Very nice people there also, but a little distance to walk for food.

Thank you all so much for your help.

We have phoned our TA and they are offering Sheraton FL Beach Hotel, pelican grand beach! Hilton FL, Atlantic hotel & spa and Courtyard by Marriott FL.

I know we will just been staying one night, but which one would be the best for location to cruise terminal and a nice hotel.

Thanks again

Last time we flew into Miami from the UK but sailed from FL we stayed in FL overnight. Not this time. Why?

We arrived in Miami early evening after a longish flight (30 hour day). Immigrations was ... well we all know about that in that US. Got a transfer to a "quality" beach side hotel in FL. Dumped bags; washed; went down for dinner. Too tired to eat much. Back to room Fell asleep. Taxi in the morning to ship.

This time we will stay at an airport hotel in Miami, no long drive, be able to enjoy dinner 8ish rather than 10ish, have breakfast in the morning then take a cab to the pier in FL around 10am. Journey is normally less than an hour. If it take two or three (however unlikely) does it matter?

And the Hilton in Miami airport is a lot less expensive than their hotel we stayed in in FL.

Glad you will be moving up to Ft. Lauderdale for the night. We too spent a night there this past winter. I went online and checked to see what hotels near the port had packages that included a ride to the pier. I lucked out and found a nice place called Bahia Mar. They also included breakfast in the package. We got to town around noon the day before sailing and had time to walk along the ocean, with feet in the water and see some of the sights of the area. Being from a cold place, it was pure delight!

So, check the ones listed to see if the have a shuttle to the pier. I'm sure at least one has to! Enjoy your cruise!

Thank you all so much for your help.

We have phoned our TA and they are offering Sheraton FL Beach Hotel, pelican grand beach! Hilton FL, Atlantic hotel & spa and Courtyard by Marriott FL.

I know we will just been staying one night, but which one would be the best for location to cruise terminal and a nice hotel.

Thanks again

You need to get back to your TA and tell him/her that you do not need an expensive hotel room on the beach at a resort hotel. All you will be doing is sleeping and getting up the next morning to go to the ship. All of these hotels are good for vacation stays, but this is not what you need. Tell your TA to get off the beach and get you one near the port. Some of the others who posted have made suggestions, so throw out those suggestions to your TA. Are they including this in your reservation, or do you have to pay yourself? If you are paying, then you can book it yourself on line.

I'm a local person, so I do know all of the hotels in question.

Pia is right, we stayed at the Courtyard By Marriott Fort Lauderdale Beach as we were staying a few days, loved the position and the view. If only one night the other hotels mentioned are fine.

If your TA can't or won't book these, look at them yourself online, choose and then book independently. We did.

Are you flying independently or with Princess? If flying with Princess they usually fly in the day before (as the same day is too late) and put you up overnight before transferring to port and ship. Were you given this option?

Edited by Gettingwarmer