Chip and pin credit card -- availability

cruisemom42

So using that "logic" the bank might as well print the unchangeable PIN onto the card, after all if the card is secure...

Perhaps in your world where a credit card never is lost or stolen, that would work. I, however, have no problem remembering a four digit number.

Lew

I doubt if the PIN cannot be changed. Certainly in Canada, where we have had chip and PIN credit and debit cards for quite a few years, they can be.

Strange, but true. Click on Can I customize my PIN? after following this link.

Lew

Perhaps in your world where a credit card never is lost or stolen, that would work. I, however, have no problem remembering a four digit number.

Lew

Talk about missing the point...

Your argument was that it didn't matter that someone else knew your PIN as the card was secure. If your argument was valid, then the banks would just print the PIN on the card.

I requested a new chip/pin from usas and they sent it to me in about 10 days.

It also has a magnetic strip fur use in the USA. (USA merchants have not yet converted to the chip reader)

Your card is a signature card, not a chip and pin.

We agree with Lew. Some Chip/PIN cards have the PIN encoded on the chip at the time the chip is manufactured and coded. It cannot be changed without issuing a new card. Certain Chip/PIN issuers do not allow the user to choose their Pin (they are all randomly assigned) while some other issuers will allow the user to choose a PIN in advance of the chip being programmed.

Han

The reason for a hard pin and a chip card is for your protection, you know the pin and the card knows the pin thus, verifying the charge. The signature is not a factor in the transaction.

Not all credit card companies utilize the hard pin concept.

A few of the major retailers in NY already have equipment installed for the chip/pin transacations.

Just chiming in here with an odd experience from this week --

I have my new Andrews CC and want to use it a few times before our trip, to assure all is well.

I was excited to learn that our local Walmart Stores are now processing cards like this.

All excited, I ran over to Walmart after work, grabbed a few small items and checked out, using my new Andrews CC.

I stuck the card in, the transaction was processed, I removed my card as instructed, and was handed a receipt and a thank you!

BUMMER -- Much to my dismay....I was never asked for a PIN or a signature!

So now, I know I can buy stuff with it.....but I still don't know if the CHIP/PIN part of it works! HAHA!

That night I wondered if perhaps the purchase needs to be of a certain value and I didn't spend enough? Many stores now do not even make you sign with your old CC if the purchase is less than $25 or so. Wonder if that's the case with triggering the PIN entry?

I'll be calling Andrews in the morning. :cool:

A few of the major retailers in NY already have equipment installed for the chip/pin transacations.

Just chiming in here with an odd experience from this week --

I have my new Andrews CC and want to use it a few times before our trip, to assure all is well.

I was excited to learn that our local Walmart Stores are now processing cards like this.

All excited, I ran over to Walmart after work, grabbed a few small items and checked out, using my new Andrews CC.

I stuck the card in, the transaction was processed, I removed my card as instructed, and was handed a receipt and a thank you!

BUMMER -- Much to my dismay....I was never asked for a PIN or a signature!

So now, I know I can buy stuff with it.....but I still don't know if the CHIP/PIN part of it works! HAHA!

That night I wondered if perhaps the purchase needs to be of a certain value and I didn't spend enough? Many stores now do not even make you sign with your old CC if the purchase is less than $25 or so. Wonder if that's the case with triggering the PIN entry?

I'll be calling Andrews in the morning. :cool:

This is also what happens in Europe. On some relatively small purchases the card works without a PIN. A good example would be on toll roads (except in the southern part of France) where no PIN or signature is required. We have also purchased lower priced train tickets (and Metro tickets) in vending machines without being ask for a PIN.

Hank

This is also what happens in Europe. On some relatively small purchases the card works without a PIN. A good example would be on toll roads (except in the southern part of France) where no PIN or signature is required. We have also purchased lower priced train tickets (and Metro tickets) in vending machines without being ask for a PIN.

Hank

That sounds terribly unsafe to me. All our ticket vending machines in Ireland look for the PIN. What is to stop someone stealing your wallet and merrily buying things with your card?

In the US it is very difficult to get a chip/pin card-- a few vendors issue chip/signature cards. We were in Australia recently and used mostly our regular credit card (no foreign transaction fees) A few places -especially where the connection is via satellite (and not hard wired) you needed the chip card for the transaction but the chip/signature was fine. I think the US is behind the rest of the world with rolling this out although it is coming this year-I hear! I you don't have at least a chip/signature card then carry lots of local currency or you will be stuck.

The whole of Australia are changing to pin only on Friday, 1st August for all cards from all banks. Will be a bit chaotic next week. There is supposed to be provision in the system to use foreign issued cards without a pin.

Everyone will have to remember multiple pins, difficult for the elderly. We now have payWave cards where you just wave the card in front of the machine and that's it. Supposed to be secure.

But we can always change our pins if we want.

Everyone will have to remember multiple pins, difficult for the elderly

In the UK it is a legal requirement that the banks provide a chip & signature card to anyone who can't use chip & pin. Examples, blind people as no standard pin machine, elderly who can't remember pins, wheelchair users at petrol stations, etc.

I've been wanting to get a TRUE chip-and-pin card for a while but cannot seem to find one that meets the following criteria and is available to me as an individual:

• No foreign transaction fee
  • True chip-and-pin card, not just chip-and-signature
  • No annual fee
  • Available in America
  • Doesn't require joining a credit union or opening an additional account

If anyone knows of such a card, can you please list the specifics (issue, name of card, etc)? I don't really care whether it is a MC or Visa if it meets all of the above criteria.

I have so far this morning tried Wells Fargo, Bank of America, Citibank, and Chase. I didn't call Capital One but I checked with them pretty recently and they do not offer anything. Yet.

I found almost all of your criteria. It does have an annual fee, but all else is what you'd like.

http://www.hawaiianairlines.com/hawaiianmiles/pages/ha-credit-card.aspx

That sounds terribly unsafe to me. All our ticket vending machines in Ireland look for the PIN. What is to stop someone stealing your wallet and merrily buying things with your card?

You reporting the card stolen as you would any other card regardless if it was a chip/pin or not.

Hank

Thanks, Hank!

I suspected that was the case after I made my purchase.

I am traveling for work this week, but will try the Andrews card again this weekend with a larger purchase to satisfy my curiosity!

Thanks, Hank!

I suspected that was the case after I made my purchase.

I am traveling for work this week, but will try the Andrews card again this weekend with a larger purchase to satisfy my curiosity!

Keep in mind that the Andrews card is programmed to always default to "signature" rather then PIN. Based on using that card on a recent month-long driving trip in France and Germany, we found that the only time the card asked for a PIN was when a signature option was not available. We did really appreciate being able to buy fuel at unstaffed gas stations (you can only do this with a Chip/PIN card).

Hank

I now have way too many credit cards.. I went off the deep end and everyone that offered a no currency exchange charge for foreign prchases and any that offered chip and pin.... I know I will not remember all the different pins, because not all cards, even the Andrews credit union does not let you pick your pin,, the same for Wells Fargo... then there were cards that offered 30,000 miles for joining, etc, etc... now I am going crazy with all the cards I have accummulated..u.s. air, delta, british air,, etc. etc.. I need to unload and only keep a couple that give the best miles and security.. I think Venture Capital is one, and for chip and pin if in a pinch somewhere the Andrews...if this sounds confusing... I am confused...where is my husband when I need him.. lol... (I'm widowed and doing this alone) altho he left me with good credit.. all these cards are giving me 60,000 credit lines..each but I don't need them all... some do have an annual fee so maybe get rid of those... any suggestions which are the best ones to keep?

Edited by Host Star

I now have way too many credit cards.. I went off the deep end and everyone that offered a no currency exchange charge for foreign prchases and any that offered chip and pin.... I know I will not remember all the different pins, because not all cards, like the Andrews credit union lets you pick your pin,, the same for Wells Fargo... then there were cards that offered 30,000 miles for joining, etc, etc... now I am going crazy with all the cards I have accummulated..u.s. air, delta, british air,, etc. etc.. I need to unload and only keep a couple that give the best miles and security.. I think Venture Capital is one, and for chip and pin if in a pinch somewhere the Andrews...if this sounds confusing... I am confused...where is my husband when I need him.. lol... (I'm widowed and doing this alone) altho he left me with good credit.. all these cards are giving me 60,000 credit lines..each but I don't need them all... some do have an annual fee so maybe get rid of those... any suggestions which are the best ones to keep?

I don't think Andrews will let you pick your own PIN for the chip and pin credit card.

I found almost all of your criteria. It does have an annual fee, but all else is what you'd like.

http://www.hawaiianairlines.com/hawaiianmiles/pages/ha-credit-card.aspx

Also, if you don't mind a credit union, this is the BEST I have seen. Orig interest rate at 7.99% for like a year or more, then after that, never goes over 9.99%. No fee, no foreign transaction fee, offers pin and chip. No charge for going over your limit, or late payment (I think) never had either happen. And hands down the easiest to deal with. Only hiccup is, you need to open a bank account, but I put in $25 and never touched it since I opened it like 6 years ago. Thats what I'm using in Europe, even tho I'm past the sweet 7.99% interest, still worth it! Found it years ago in the consumer guide for top 5 credit cards on the market.

Check it out

https://www.penfed.org/

I don't think Andrews will let you pick your own PIN for the chip and pin credit card.

ooops.. meant to say andrews does not let you pick your pin.. thanks for pointing that out.. i'll go in an edit it

Also, if you don't mind a credit union, this is the BEST I have seen. Orig interest rate at 7.99% for like a year or more, then after that, never goes over 9.99%. No fee, no foreign transaction fee, offers pin and chip. No charge for going over your limit, or late payment (I think) never had either happen. And hands down the easiest to deal with. Only hiccup is, you need to open a bank account, but I put in $25 and never touched it since I opened it like 6 years ago. Thats what I'm using in Europe, even tho I'm past the sweet 7.99% interest, still worth it! Found it years ago in the consumer guide for top 5 credit cards on the market.

Check it out

https://www.penfed.org/

We would just point out that for those of us who pay our entire credit card bill when due, there are zero interest charges on almost any card.

Hank

We would just point out that for those of us who pay our entire credit card bill when due, there are zero interest charges on almost any card.

Hank

For those of us that aren't able to pay off each month, what is the rate you got on your Andrews CU card? I see no mention in this entire thread. Thanks

For those of us that aren't able to pay off each month, what is the rate you got on your Andrews CU card? I see no mention in this entire thread. Thanks

I honestly would have no idea. Despite being a senior, we have never (ever) paid a penny interest on any credit card. Perhaps that is one reason why we can now afford the luxury of lots of travel. Using any credit card to borrow money is just bad financial planning and should be reserved only for emergencies. This is the same advice given by nearly ever financial planner when helping folks solve financial problems.

Hank