Chip and pin credit card -- availability

cruisemom42

As betty says, it looks like the real deal.

It's unfortunate that the term "PIN" has taken on a dual meaning with credit cards. I have talked to a lot of credit card companies in my quest and I've learned to say "I want a card with a true PIN that is used to authorize credit card transactions at the point of sale. NOT the type of PIN that can be used to withdraw cash from an ATM."

This generally makes it clear, although you'll still find some obstinate (or completely unaware) phone reps who'll tell you you're getting a true chip + PIN when it's not.

Yes - not only is the "chip" terminology confusing (chip and pin, vs chip and sign) the pin is throwing everyone off (cash advance pin vs. security pin that takes the place of the signature). And, I think those cash advance pins can be used at merchants (someone correct me if I'm wrong), but at an over 20% interest rate, regardless if you pay your billing off when it comes in.

When we were checking out of our hotel in Copenhagen a few weeks ago the line was very long because their machine for signatures was down. The woman at the desk said the manager told her that most US credit cards have pins but people don't know it. I told her they do, but at a very high price for usage.

If you are talking about the Barclay Arrival Plus card, there is an $89 annual fee, although they are waiving it for the first year (at the moment).

The regular Barclay Arrival card does not offer chip + pin technology.

So...it doesn't quite meet all my criteria. :cool:

Well, it does for the first year while the fee is waived. And a year from now you'll have lots of choices for Chip & PIN cards. [Chase for one promises to have all its cards converted by the end of 2014.]

Well, it does for the first year while the fee is waived. And a year from now you'll have lots of choices for Chip & PIN cards. [Chase for one promises to have all its cards converted by the end of 2014.]

I don't think Chase promised to convert all it's cards by the end of the year. My I understanding is they will be offering a card by then...

I don't think Chase promised to convert all it's cards by the end of the year. My I understanding is they will be offering a card by then...

Also it remains to be seen whether the cards will be chip and pin. Most of the chip cards being issued in the USA have been Chip and Signature, not chip and pin.

We would not hold our breath!

Hank

my new Barclays arrival card is chip and pin...

They say Chip and Signature with Pin capability. That might not be exactly the same as Chip and Pin. Plus the card has an annual fee. On their web site all they mention is chip. Sounds a little slippery to me. Likely the default is Chip and Signature and the pin they provide may work in Europe if a pin is requested. That is the way my no fee Bank of America card works, the cash advance pin will work but it is chip and signature first.

We would not hold our breath!

Hank

I wouldn't either. I have recieved new cards this year from four issuers, renewals, and only one had a chip. The chipped card, was from Bank of America which already had a chip by request. US issuers are planning on Chip and Signature, not Chip and Pin. Some who thought they had Chip and Pin, have found when in Europe that their cards are Chip and Signature.

my new Barclays arrival card is chip and pin...

Researching the Barcleys card I found this comment online at http://hackmytrip.com/2014/06/barclay-arrival-chip-and-pin-activation/

I have seen similar comments elsewhere. That is why I am skeptical about the Barcley card.

"Well, I set up my PIN, used the card (with sig) for a restaurant purchase at CDG, then could not use it at the tram kiosk in Nice. The machine accepted the card, said "PIN OK" then "Error". I sent a message to Barclay and they replied that they have not declined any charges (I did a travel alert before I left the States). They also said people are reporting problems with automatic train ticket machines. Ugh!!!!!! This is the primary reason I got this card and now it won't work where I need it to. I hate carrying around a pocketful of coins for the kiosk.

Every transaction after that asked for signature and went through no problem, just not at the machines."

Researching the Barcleys card I found this comment online at http://hackmytrip.com/2014/06/barclay-arrival-chip-and-pin-activation/

I have seen similar comments elsewhere. That is why I am skeptical about the Barcley card.

"Well, I set up my PIN, used the card (with sig) for a restaurant purchase at CDG, then could not use it at the tram kiosk in Nice. The machine accepted the card, said "PIN OK" then "Error". I sent a message to Barclay and they replied that they have not declined any charges (I did a travel alert before I left the States). They also said people are reporting problems with automatic train ticket machines. Ugh!!!!!! This is the primary reason I got this card and now it won't work where I need it to. I hate carrying around a pocketful of coins for the kiosk.

Every transaction after that asked for signature and went through no problem, just not at the machines."

But if you read farther down the comments at least one person was able to use the pin at unattended terminals.

I think it's a legit card, but it is chip + signature as a default and only chip + pin when required.

But if you read farther down the comments at least one person was able to use the pin at unattended terminals.

I think it's a legit card, but it is chip + signature as a default and only chip + pin when required.

Not sure what you mean by legit. All I am saying is that with chip cards issued in the US, true Chip and Pin cards, except for one issued by the United Nations Credit Union are problematic. What you think is a chip and pin card is probably a chip and signature priority card that might work at some kiosks and not at others. I would not sign up for the Barcleys card which has an annual fee solely because it has a chip because issues have been reported.

There have been so many questions regarding chip and pin cards on the port boards and appearantly so much confusion that I sent an e mail to the travel writer for our city newspaper linking this thread and one on the Northern European board. She seemed interested and plans to contact someone who can answer questions better than the clueless phone reps many of us have encountered at the credit card companies.

There have been so many questions regarding chip and pin cards on the port boards and appearantly so much confusion that I sent an e mail to the travel writer for our city newspaper linking this thread and one on the Northern European board. She seemed interested and plans to contact someone who can answer questions better than the clueless phone reps many of us have encountered at the credit card companies.

I think the confusion will continue for several years. It appears right now unless they change course that the credit card companies are planning to move us to Chip and Signature first for next several years instead of directly to Chip and Pin because they think Chip and Pin will confuse American consumers. Then after several years they will move us to Chip and Pin. I think it is the credit card issuers who are confusing the issue. I already see a lot of consumers entering debit card pins at local merchants. I think American consumers could learn fast to use pins with credit cards.

• 2 weeks later...

I was so excited that I could finally get my AMEX card with a chip. Then I looked closer on the website, and of course, it's chip & sign, not chip & pin.

So I followed advice of some folks on these board and opened an account with Pentagon FCU. If nothing else, I'll save a fortune on foreign transaction fees (which this card doesn't charge).

After not being able to buy subway tickets at the Copenhagen airport a couple of years ago (from an actual cashier, not a machine!), I don't want to risk traveling with a magnetic stripe card anymore.

It sounds like NCUA (the National regulator of credit unions) is reconsidering the status of National Consumer Council as a qualifying field of membership for joining AFCU. The days of being able to get the card through that route may be numbered.

Roy

Thanks for the feedback so far. I think I'll wait a few more months (next major trip to Europe is in October) and see if anyone has come out with a card by then. If not, guess I'll go with the AFCU card.

I requested a new chip/pin from usas and they sent it to me in about 10 days.

It also has a magnetic strip fur use in the USA. (USA merchants have not yet converted to the chip reader)

I called Wells Fargo prior to my trip and requested a chip and pin cc and had it in my hand in 4 days.

I can confirm that it is a true chip and pin with a hard coded pin number that cannot be changed.

I used this card anytime my chase united mileage plus card would not work, which was quite a bit more than you would think.

It worked at all self service train kiosks, self service gas pumps, a couple of restaurants and a convenience store in the Amsterdam Airport (of all places).

I called Wells Fargo prior to my trip and requested a chip and pin cc and had it in my hand in 4 days.

I can confirm that it is a true chip and pin with a hard coded pin number that cannot be changed.

I used this card anytime my chase united mileage plus card would not work, which was quite a bit more than you would think.

It worked at all self service train kiosks, self service gas pumps, a couple of restaurants and a convenience store in the Amsterdam Airport (of all places).

I think we're going to see more chip and pin cards offered by the end of the year (then again maybe that's only wishful thinking on my part!). I too called USAA the other day asking if they're offering a "real" chip and pin, and they said yes. So it's on the way - now lets see if it really works for this October's trip.

Alas, the USAA card will still have foreign transaction fees, but as I plan on only using it when my other card doesn't work I'll accept it for now.

A PIN you cannot change! Utterly irresponsible behaviour by the bank, and not like any Chip & Pin card I have ever used.

One factor has not been mentioned, is that even when Chip & Pin is fully introduced, as it has been in Europe, is that the banks still must issue Chip & Signature cards when customers who cannot use PINs request them. This means that retailer's systems work with Chip & Signature cards.

A PIN you cannot change! Utterly irresponsible behaviour by the bank, and not like any Chip & Pin card I have ever used.

Irresponsible? Why? How else would a PIN be imbedded in the chip if it were not done before the financial institution sent it to you?

One factor has not been mentioned, is that even when Chip & Pin is fully introduced, as it has been in Europe, is that the banks still must issue Chip & Signature cards when customers who cannot use PINs request them. This means that retailer's systems work with Chip & Signature cards.
Chip & PIN cards can also be used as Chip & Signature cards...and swipe cards. I've used mine all three ways in Europe. There's no need for separate cards.

Lew

Irresponsible? Why? How else would a PIN be imbedded in the chip if it were not done before the financial institution sent it to you?

You said that the PIN could not be changed. That is irresponsible.

If you think that someone has seen you entering your PIN, but you can't change the PIN, what do you do?

You said that the PIN could not be changed. That is irresponsible.

If you think that someone has seen you entering your PIN, but you can't change the PIN, what do you do?

IMHO if you're observant enough to notice somebody watching you while you enter your PIN, you should be proactive and not allow that to happen. Even is somebody knows your PIN, it is useless unless they also possess the credit card.

If your card is lost or stolen, you notify your financial institution.

Lew

IMHO if you're observant enough to notice somebody watching you while you enter your PIN, you should be proactive and not allow that to happen. Even is somebody knows your PIN, it is useless unless they also possess the credit card.

So using that "logic" the bank might as well print the unchangeable PIN onto the card, after all if the card is secure...

I doubt if the PIN cannot be changed. Certainly in Canada, where we have had chip and PIN credit and debit cards for quite a few years, they can be. You go to an ATM and there is a process for doing so. Some scams where PINs have been stolen have occurred at ATMs by means of a camera. You do want to be able to change your PIN.