Chip and pin credit card -- availability

cruisemom42

Received our USAA cards in the mail today. We had been told they would be "chip & pin". After calling and activating the cards, we were then told that the TRUE "chip & pin" cards will be sent in the mail in 7 days. The "pin" will be sent to us separately.

2Bcontinued…...

Cruisemom, We can recommend the Andrews Federal Credit Union issued Visa which is fee free and has zero foreign exchange fees. Joining Andrews is really no big deal and they offer a scheme where anyone can join with a few clicks of the mouse (it is also free). The only downside is that they are a bit of a pain if you want a very high credit limit on the Visa and might request additional credit info. As to being eligible to be a member this is done because of a Federal regulation (and law) that requires credit unions to be open to select groups. But Andrews provides a link to the "American Consumer Council" which one can join for free (there are no membership charges) with a few mouse clicks. One you have joined ACC you are eligible for Andrews.

Several regular posters here on CC have gone through the Andrews "hassles" and we can say that we are pleased with the result. For those that need an additional fee free debit card (to get money out of ATMs) Andrews also offers that service. Having debit cards from multiple banks allows one to have additional cash source "back ups" and is also a way around daily withdrawal limits imposed one a single card or by a single bank.

For those of us who do a lot of international travel, jumping though some of these "hoops" is a necessary evil in an era when Travelers Checks are obsolete (and not accepted in many places) and having multiple source of obtaining cash a necessity. There are also some interesting variations in major credit card benefits. For example, between AMEX. MC and Visa only one card offers included collision damage waiver in Northern Irealnd...and there is another card (among those big 3) that offers the coverage in New Zealand.

We really wonder how anyone, without a good credit rating, can do any significant foreign travel. One needs to be able to get multiple credit cards (and often debit cards) to handle the needs of longer land-based trips.

Hank

Is there a trick to getting the American Consumer Council Fee waived? Certainly $5 or even $15 is not a big deal but I couldn't see a way around it.

Roy

Is there a trick to getting the American Consumer Council Fee waived? Certainly $5 or even $15 is not a big deal but I couldn't see a way around it.

Roy

I was not offered a code when i called Andrews Federal Credit Union only the website instructions for the ACC. I paid the membership fee, waited for a membership # to be sent to me, then went on the credit unions website and opened a savings account with $5. I was approved for membership within a day. Then went back onto credit union site and applied for Globe Trek Card. Was approved in a few days and card is on the way. Thank you so much for the info. I get the best tips and info on CC :)

I was not offered a code when i called Andrews Federal Credit Union only the website instructions for the ACC. I paid the membership fee, waited for a membership # to be sent to me, then went on the credit unions website and opened a savings account with $5. I was approved for membership within a day. Then went back onto credit union site and applied for Globe Trek Card. Was approved in a few days and card is on the way. Thank you so much for the info. I get the best tips and info on CC :)

I did the same and got my Globe Trek Card in the mail today!

Plan on taking it on a "test run" this weekend!

Very quick process!

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

There was no fee to join ACC when I applied for the Andrews FCU card May 2013...see attachment below. Joining ACC was part of the credit card application process.

If they are now charging during the application process, I don't see a way around it.

Lew

Attachment:

1419157018_ACCMembership.jpg.412439ff8eabd61398bf4c8876a3dfa9.jpg

Guess we will jump in here :). Whenever you join a federal or most state chartered credit unions there is a requirement that you deposit $5 into their savings account. Technically you are just buying 5 shares in the credit union (this is all according to law) which you can get back when you close the account. Regarding Andrews (and we have LEW to thank for knowing about Andrews) we did their ACC scheme and there was no fee to join ACC.

We have now been traveling in Europe for the past 6 weeks and making liberal use of the Andrews Global Trek Visa. The card defaults to a "Signature" mode in just about anyplace (such as restaurants and hotels) that can handle the signature mode. In places where there is no way to use a signature (such as gas pumps and train ticket machines) it does revert to the Pin mode and requires your Pin instead of a signature. The one surprise exception (and we posted this over on the French board) is that the Andrews visa is not accepted at most of the toll booths on the French motorways. When our card failed to work at a French automatic toll booth (we then had to use cash) we later tried to use it a manned toll booth. The toll collector took one glance at our Andrews card and said "NON! Go figure. I only wish I had then responded that we had no cash and only that credit card. It might have been interesting.

Hank

Thanks. I bit the bullet and paid ACC the $5. If that and the $5 savings account is my only cost for a first world credit card it's still a real bargain.

They say "if it sounds too good to be true, it probably is" (or at least won't last). As a 49-year credit union member I'm quite familiar with the field of interest requirement and would not be surprised if Andrews got some push back on allowing people to join simply by checking a box as Lew did. I got an email from ACC with a transaction number, not sure if that's my member number but I'll apply for membership this weekend.

One more question, how do people pay their Andrews bills? I know for my credit union credit cards I have the payments deducted from checking accounts at the relevant institution, does Andrews all auto pay from an outside checking account?

Roy

Paying a bill can be done in a few ways. We originally just set up a Bill Payer account with our other credit union and simply used the online Bill Payer to pay Andrews. But we later decided to set up a regular account with Andrews so we could get another "backup" Debit/ATM card for our travels. Andrews does not charge any fees for using their Debit card overseas and we saw advantages to having more backups. So we can now simply transfer funds between our Andrews account and their Visa. We also set up (through Andrews) the capability to do online bank transfers from an account in another bank so we can easily move money between banks. This all paid off because our primary bank had to cut off our debit card 2 days before we left for Europe. Our debit card had been compromised (Visa refused to say how or where). We did not have enough time to get a replacement Debit card (this is how we get our cash on long international trips) so we simply are utilizing our Andrews debit card as our primary cash source.

This brings up another CC related issue which is about having sufficient back up plans when doing international travel. One should never rely on a single debit card/account or a single credit card while traveling. And Travelers Checks are no longer a good back-up since they are not always accepted in Europe. In fact, if you show a Travelers Check to some younger folks they will scratch their heads because they never saw one or have a clue about its use.

Hank

Edited by Hlitner

Roy

My guess is the ACC probably caught on to the increase in membership requests by folks who wanted to get an Andrews Credit Card and began charging the $5 administration fee to cover their costs.

I paid it too. Small price to pay to have the chip and pin card in my wallet while traveling! :)

As Hank say, having back-up is crucial.

On our recent trip to New Zealand and Australia one of my credit cards stopped being accepted. Since I had back up and was with my husband with more back up, I did not do anything about it. When we got home and I checked into it, it was a computer error that said my newly renewed card was not activated.

My point is, you never know what can happen.

We have two credit cards and two debit cards. We also have a set up allowing us to move money between accounts.

Cruisemom, We can recommend the Andrews Federal Credit Union issued Visa which is fee free and has zero foreign exchange fees. Joining Andrews is really no big deal and they offer a scheme where anyone can join with a few clicks of the mouse (it is also free). The only downside is that they are a bit of a pain if you want a very high credit limit on the Visa and might request additional credit info. As to being eligible to be a member this is done because of a Federal regulation (and law) that requires credit unions to be open to select groups. But Andrews provides a link to the "American Consumer Council" which one can join for free (there are no membership charges) with a few mouse clicks. One you have joined ACC you are eligible for Andrews.

Several regular posters here on CC have gone through the Andrews "hassles" and we can say that we are pleased with the result. For those that need an additional fee free debit card (to get money out of ATMs) Andrews also offers that service. Having debit cards from multiple banks allows one to have additional cash source "back ups" and is also a way around daily withdrawal limits imposed one a single card or by a single bank.

For those of us who do a lot of international travel, jumping though some of these "hoops" is a necessary evil in an era when Travelers Checks are obsolete (and not accepted in many places) and having multiple source of obtaining cash a necessity. There are also some interesting variations in major credit card benefits. For example, between AMEX. MC and Visa only one card offers included collision damage waiver in Northern Irealnd...and there is another card (among those big 3) that offers the coverage in New Zealand.

We really wonder how anyone, without a good credit rating, can do any significant foreign travel. One needs to be able to get multiple credit cards (and often debit cards) to handle the needs of longer land-based trips.

Hank

We like the Andrews CU card too. We found that even though the card is fee free, if you use the Credit Card in an ATM, it treated as a cash advance and that is NOT fee free.

Kathy

We like the Andrews CU card too. We found that even though the card is fee free, if you use the Credit Card in an ATM, it treated as a cash advance and that is NOT fee free.

Kathy

Doesn't that apply to every credit card used at an ATM to get cash?

Doesn't that apply to every credit card used at an ATM to get cash?

Perhaps, but there are those who who don't realize cash obtained at an ATM using a credit card is considered a cash advance and incurs interest. Kathy's point is well taken.

Lew

Perhaps, but there are those who who don't realize cash obtained at an ATM using a credit card is considered a cash advance and incurs interest. Kathy's point is well taken.

Lew

It is pretty well known that getting cash with a credit card is a cash advance. With a fee. The credit card companies even tell you.......

• 2 weeks later...
My guess is the ACC probably caught on to the increase in membership requests by folks who wanted to get an Andrews Credit Card and began charging the $5 administration fee to cover their costs.

I paid it too. Small price to pay to have the chip and pin card in my wallet while traveling! :)

the only 5$ I paid was to open a savings account in order to get the chip and pin credit card... after going thru their dog and pony show I have been notified the card is in the mail...

the only 5$ I paid was to open a savings account in order to get the chip and pin credit card... after going thru their dog and pony show I have been notified the card is in the mail...

I just got my credit card from Andrews.

You can also get an ATM card to access your $ in the account. This is a regular ATM withdrawal, NOT a cash advance. Of course, you'll need to put more money in the account than the $5 deposit. There are no ATM fees imposed by Andrews.

Andrews required us to join the American Consumer Council to "qualify" as a potential member to get the Visa Card.

The Consumer Council was charging a $5 membership fee at the time we applied.

Then I put another small deposit in to open the Credit Union Account to get the new Visa Card.

It appears some are required to pay the American Consumer Council fee and some are not.

Either way....good thing to have this option.

:)

My Barclay Arrival card fits all that criteria. Plus it offers 2 points earned for every dollar spent which can be used as statement credit on ANY travel expense (like a cruise!)

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Forums mobile app

If you are talking about the Barclay Arrival Plus card, there is an $89 annual fee, although they are waiving it for the first year (at the moment).

The regular Barclay Arrival card does not offer chip + pin technology.

So...it doesn't quite meet all my criteria. :cool:

If you are talking about the Barclay Arrival Plus card, there is an $89 annual fee, although they are waiving it for the first year (at the moment).

The regular Barclay Arrival card does not offer chip + pin technology.

So...it doesn't quite meet all my criteria. :cool:

You're right, I went back and read your original post and totally missed your "no annual fee" requirement when I read it the first time. :( Sorry about that! But my Arrival Plus is definitely chip + pin, mine is all set up, and the rewards program is hands down the best I have. Good luck on your search!

You're right, I went back and read your original post and totally missed your "no annual fee" requirement when I read it the first time. :( Sorry about that! But my Arrival Plus is definitely chip + pin, mine is all set up, and the rewards program is hands down the best I have. Good luck on your search!

regarding the pin..... Does it operate like the Andrew's card...default to chip and sign and then to chip and pin if signature is not available? So many cards do have pin availability....but they are for cash advances....at high interest rates. I went to the Barclay's website and it isn't really clear on this.

We recently hobbled through a Baltic cruise with relying on ATMs and what CC's we had (some chip and sign some mag strip) but I could tell the US is on their last legs with their outdated technology.

regarding the pin..... Does it operate like the Andrew's card...default to chip and sign and then to chip and pin if signature is not available? So many cards do have pin availability....but they are for cash advances....at high interest rates. I went to the Barclay's website and it isn't really clear on this.

We recently hobbled through a Baltic cruise with relying on ATMs and what CC's we had (some chip and sign some mag strip) but I could tell the US is on their last legs with their outdated technology.

Yes, it defaults to chip + signature where that is the technology in use, but also then defaults to chip + pin where required.

As betty says, it looks like the real deal.

It's unfortunate that the term "PIN" has taken on a dual meaning with credit cards. I have talked to a lot of credit card companies in my quest and I've learned to say "I want a card with a true PIN that is used to authorize credit card transactions at the point of sale. NOT the type of PIN that can be used to withdraw cash from an ATM."

This generally makes it clear, although you'll still find some obstinate (or completely unaware) phone reps who'll tell you you're getting a true chip + PIN when it's not.