Chip and pin credit card -- availability

cruisemom42

We just had lunch (3 hours ago) in a Paris Bar/cafe. We watched as some fellow Americans, at the next table, tried to pay with their Amex. "Non, we do not accept Amex." They then tried to use their Visa and were again told no....but this time because their card reader does not accept non-chip cards and the cafe does not do manual card processing. We later discussed this with our waiter who just shrugged and said that only Ameicans do not have chips. We had no problem using our Andrews Federal Credit Union chip/pin Visa although it usually defaults to signature mode (not a problem). That card works fine in train ticket machines and gas stations with its PIn. Bottom line is that it's always wise to carry enough Euros just in case your plastic will not be accepted. Still no problems using the basic ATM/debit cards with magnetic strips.

Hank

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Sorry, but i have a new chip and pin card from Amex Plat. I have had it

since last year. Call cos. service again. They do have it. I even came in

one of the metal covers, like the Trusted Flyers Card.

Is this an AMEX Plat card issued in the US? Just wondering, since I also have an AMEX Plat card with a chip in it - got it a year ago. It is NOT chip & PIN, but chip & sig. It CAN have a PIN if you want to use it at an ATM but it doesn't work as C&P for merchants & kiosks…

EDIT to add: Just looked at the AMEX site. Apparently, non-US AMEX cards come chip & PIN - only US AMEX are C&S only :-(

Edited by slidergirl

We just had lunch (3 hours ago) in a Paris Bar/cafe. We watched as some fellow Americans, at the next table, tried to pay with their Amex. "Non, we do not accept Amex." They then tried to use their Visa and were again told no....but this time because their card reader does not accept non-chip cards and the cafe does not do manual card processing. We later discussed this with our waiter who just shrugged and said that only Ameicans do not have chips. We had no problem using our Andrews Federal Credit Union chip/pin Visa although it usually defaults to signature mode (not a problem). That card works fine in train ticket machines and gas stations with its PIn. Bottom line is that it's always wise to carry enough Euros just in case your plastic will not be accepted. Still no problems using the basic ATM/debit cards with magnetic strips.

Hank

Two points...

First...I'm jealous that you're enjoying Paris and I'm not! ;)

Second...we don't even bring our AmEx cards with us when traveling outside the US. The Andrews FCU card is our goto credit card in Europe with Cap1 as a backup. We always have enough cash with us in case neither work.

Enjoy your travels, Hank...

Lew

Not having a chip and pin card really slowed me down. I couldn't use the ticket machines in the Marseille train station, the Naples station, Park Guell sent me to a different line. In all cases it changed the ticket time I could get.

And even if Bank America gets the chip and pin cards, their transaction fees are high.

The Bank of America Travel Rewards Cards have no foreign transaction fees. They have Chip and Signature.

• 2 weeks later...

Found this on the River Cruises board

I have been looking into this for a while and the best deal right now seems to be with Pentagon Federal Credit Union. They offer a Chip and Pin VISA with no annual fee, no penalty fees and most importantly, no foreign transaction fees.

Membership can be an issue. I am not in the military nor a veteran or defense contractor. If you join one of several veteran support groups that they list, with a donation as low as $10, you can join the credit union with a $5 deposit into a savings account. Now, this is kind of an one-time fee but think of all the money you will save on foreign transaction fees.

Hope that helps.

Sent using the Cruise Critic forums app

Found this on the River Cruises board

check barclays, chase american express and bank of america.. they are all coming out with chip cards.. some are chip and pin, some are chip and signature

Edited by Host Star

If only life were so simple :(. As frequent land and cruise travelers we have long understood the need for a Chip/PIN card and do have one issued by Andrews FCU. This card is compatible with the European EMV standard (accepted worldwide except in the US) and has never failed us in Europe until last week! So we are driving through FRance and stop at a AutoRoute toll booth (these are the common interstate-like toll roads run by the French government) only to have our Chip/PIN rejected. Why? Because apparently the French authority who runs the national toll road system neglected to contract with a large European credit card network (Maestro-Electron) which handles many Chip/PIN card transactions (you cannot always tell from your card if it is part of this network). So now we have the necessary Chip/PIN card....but even it does not work in all circumstances. Fortunately we had the necessary cash (over 30 Euros) to pay the toll, but DW thought perhaps we should have told them we did not have cash to see what they would have done.

Hank

Edited by Hlitner

Yikes Hank, how frustrating!

LOL Euro. Guess we don't have to tell you that the norm in Europe is anything but! The good news is that the weather in the South of France has been gorgeous.

Hank

If only life were so simple :(. As frequent land and cruise travelers we have long understood the need for a Chip/PIN card and do have one issued by Andrews FCU. This card is compatible with the European EMV standard (accepted worldwide except in the US) and has never failed us in Europe until last week! .... So now we have the necessary Chip/PIN card....but even it does not work in all circumstances. Fortunately we had the necessary cash (over 30 Euros) to pay the toll, but DW thought perhaps we should have told them we did not have cash to see what they would have done.

Hank

I just recieved the Andrews FCU card after reading about it on the boards and making all the proper applicaitons this week.

We are not driving when we get to Europe, so hopefully will have the same good fortune you have been enjoying with your card -- aside from the crazy French Toll Booth experience! :eek:

Edited by NEW 2 CRUISIN

I've been wanting to get a TRUE chip-and-pin card for a while but cannot seem to find one that meets the following criteria and is available to me as an individual:

• No foreign transaction fee
  • True chip-and-pin card, not just chip-and-signature
  • No annual fee
  • Available in America
  • Doesn't require joining a credit union or opening an additional account

If anyone knows of such a card, can you please list the specifics (issue, name of card, etc)? I don't really care whether it is a MC or Visa if it meets all of the above criteria.

I have so far this morning tried Wells Fargo, Bank of America, Citibank, and Chase. I didn't call Capital One but I checked with them pretty recently and they do not offer anything. Yet.

Look at the Barcaly Arrival card We have it offers great rewards. They have a no fee card and I just ordered my chip and pin card a few weeks ago

Hopefully someone who already has a chip & pin card in the US can answer my questions. When we got our chip & sig card last year from Chase, we were told that we could have a PIN, but every transaction that used a PIN would be treated as a cash advance rather than a purchase. Has this (or will this) change?

I also read somewhere that there is a US law that specifies that if a CC (with signature) is used fraudulently, the CC issuer is responsible for the charge. But if a PIN is used, the consumer is responsible for fraudulent charges, the idea being you shouldn't lose your pin. Anyone know about this? Just scare tactics, maybe?

BTW, we used or card all over Germany, Denmark, and even in St Petersburg with no issues, as long as there was an attendant.

Hopefully someone who already has a chip & pin card in the US can answer my questions. When we got our chip & sig card last year from Chase, we were told that we could have a PIN, but every transaction that used a PIN would be treated as a cash advance rather than a purchase. Has this (or will this) change?

I also read somewhere that there is a US law that specifies that if a CC (with signature) is used fraudulently, the CC issuer is responsible for the charge. But if a PIN is used, the consumer is responsible for fraudulent charges, the idea being you shouldn't lose your pin. Anyone know about this? Just scare tactics, maybe?

BTW, we used or card all over Germany, Denmark, and even in St Petersburg with no issues, as long as there was an attendant.

If your credit card is issued by a US Bank you won't be liable no matter what type of card, magnetic, chip and signature or chip and pin, no matter where you use it. Consumers in the US are never liable. In October merchants will be responsible if they don't take a chip and signature or chip and pin card if a consumer has one. If your card is issued by a non US bank then your liability depends on the laws of the issuing country.

I don't think they are correct about the purchase with a pin card being a cash advance. I think that would only be if you used your card for cash at an ATM.

Edited by Charles4515

Cannot speak to the Chase questions although, personally, that is one of the banks we tend to avoid since they have a habit of taking on all kinds of various fees. We would not be surprised if they charged extra to use a Pin, but that is not a normal practice. In fact, in Europe (and pretty much in Canada) a Pin is the normal way to transact credit card business.

Today we again experienced why fellow American travelers need to get themselves a real Chip/PIN card if they want to do any independent travel in Europe. About an hour ago we stopped to get some gas (it was only a little after 5) at a major gas station near Avignon and they had already closed the office for the night. The only way to buy gas at that station was to use a Chip/PIN card in the pumps (they do not work with magnetic strip cards). In the past, we sometimes found ourselves driving around for quite a while looking for a gas station that had an attendant (often impossible to find in the evening).

Hank

I think I'm all set up now for my needs for our first European cruise this October.

For my cash withdrawals, I got the Capital One 360 online checking account. No ATM fees and 1% Mastercard foreign transaction fee but Capital One will cover and waive it. ATM fees will only apply on the banks that owns the ATMs if not affiliated with Capital One but only if they are charging, I was told that rarely ATM machines in Europe has surcharge fees?

For my chip and pin credit card, I got the Andrews Federal Credit Union true chip and pin credit card. No annual fees and no foreign transaction fees. I'm a civilian but they let me apply by joining a third party organization first and they gave me a discount code to join that third party organization for free and once I'm a member, Andrews approved my application.

If your credit card is issued by a US Bank you won't be liable no matter what type of card, magnetic, chip and signature or chip and pin, no matter where you use it. Consumers in the US are never liable. In October merchants will be responsible if they don't take a chip and signature or chip and pin card if a consumer has one. If your card is issued by a non US bank then your liability depends on the laws of the issuing country.

I don't think they are correct about the purchase with a pin card being a cash advance. I think that would only be if you used your card for cash at an ATM.

Thanks.

Barclays does offer a true CHIP & PIN (Arrival +). Got mine last week and set up my pin online. Enhanced Rewards program and no foreign transaction fees. Note that unlike the regular Arrival card, this one does have an $89 annual fee after the first year - may be able to renegotiate that :-) later.

Barclays does offer a true CHIP & PIN (Arrival +). Got mine last week and set up my pin online.

The fact that you were able to setup your own PIN leads me to believe it's not a true CHIP & PIN card. With a true CHIP & PIN card the PIN is already embedded in the chip when you receive it. The bank would inform you of the PIN under separate cover.

As always, I could be wrong, but it might be worth confirming this with the financial institution before your next foreign trip.

Lew

I don't see why you couldn't just stick it into an ATM here at home, input your pin and just look up your balance.

That would constitute your first use. Also, Target is installing the technology in their stores as we speak and I believe Wal-Mart has done so as well.

As I understand it, your first use of the card ABROAD must be a CHIP & SIGNATURE transaction; thereafter, it will function and a CHIP & PIN.

The fact that you were able to setup your own PIN leads me to believe it's not a true CHIP & PIN card. With a true CHIP & PIN card the PIN is already embedded in the chip when you receive it. The bank would inform you of the PIN under separate cover.

As always, I could be wrong, but it might be worth confirming this with the financial institution before your next foreign trip.

Lew

I think it may depend on the card issuer, but it would seem that the security would be lessened if the PIN were coded in the chip, because it would seem that anyone who could read the chip could read the PIN (much the same as the magnetic stripe)

From the Barclays web site....

How do I get a PIN for my chip card - and can I change it?

A PIN was assigned to your card when the account was created. When you activate your card by phone, you can change your PIN to something easier for you to remember, or you can request that the PIN assigned to your account be mailed to you. You can also manage your PIN, anytime, by visiting the customer service website on the back of your card. After you log in, go to the Manage your PIN section.

In addition, you can call the number on the back of your card and follow the menu options to change/manage your PIN.

Please note that you must sign for your first transaction abroad at a location with a cashier or attendant. After your first transaction has gone through, your PIN will be activated and you’ll be able to use your card at unattended terminals where a PIN is required.

You can also use your PIN to withdraw cash at ATMs in the U.S. and worldwide. Please note that there is only one PIN issued to your account. As the primary cardmember, you may share your PIN with authorized users at your discretion.

ALSO

Will I sign a receipt when I use my chip card?

Yes, in most cases. Your card is designed to accept a signature as the primary verification method, but it also has a PIN for use at unattended terminals such as train ticket kiosks. Most often, you'll sign a receipt, but you may be asked for a PIN. Just follow the prompt at the terminal. Unlike when using debit cards in the U.S., you cannot choose whether to use a PIN or a signature.

If you make a purchase in the U.S., you’ll continue to swipe your card and sign, when required, as you do today.

Edited by fnewman

I think it may depend on the card issuer, but it would seem that the security would be lessened if the PIN were coded in the chip, because it would seem that anyone who could read the chip could read the PIN (much the same as the magnetic stripe)

It appears you are correct. My card issuer, Andrews FCU, still provides the PIN and does not allow changes.

With respect to one being more secure than the other, I inquired about that and was given a technical explanation that was difficult to understand and question.

Lew

The Pin does nothing to enhance security if it is not required for all transactions. About he the Andrews card does have a Pin, it will still default to signature where that is allowed. Last week one waiter said to us, "the Pin is no good if you do not use it." We could not argue with his logic.

Hank

The Pin does nothing to enhance security if it is not required for all transactions. About he the Andrews card does have a Pin, it will still default to signature where that is allowed.

I agree... During our last European land/cruise trip we were asked only once for our PIN. At the Coop in Venice the person in front of me at the checkout was asked for her PIN while I was required to sign and provide photo ID...that was confusing to say the least! :confused:

I've read the fee to the financial institution is more if they require PIN entry than just a signature so many opt for just a signature. It's a shortsighted decision IMHO.

Lew