Ft. Lauderdale Q&A/FAQ Part 2

Host Kat

Hello, I have rented a vehicle with Alamo prior to our Oasis cruise. Is it true when I drop off the car at the FLL airport location that Alamo has a free shuttle from the airport to Port Everglades cruise terminal?

I asked the Alamo reservation center person when I made the car reservation but she was not able to give a definitive answer. TIA!

Hello, I have rented a vehicle with Alamo prior to our Oasis cruise. Is it true when I drop off the car at the FLL airport location that Alamo has a free shuttle from the airport to Port Everglades cruise terminal?

I asked the Alamo reservation center person when I made the car reservation but she was not able to give a definitive answer. TIA!

Alamo has provided this in the past and I haven't heard that they stopped. This phone number might go directly to the location: 954-525-4713.

If not, a taxi or Uber will cost less than $20.

Does the shuttle, if it is available, work in reverse? That is, will they pick you up at the ship and transfer you to the Alamo desk at FFL after deboarding the ship at the end of a cruise?

Alamo has provided this in the past and I haven't heard that they stopped. This phone number might go directly to the location: 954-525-4713.

If not, a taxi or Uber will cost less than $20.

Thanks and alternate plan will be taxi.

Does the shuttle, if it is available, work in reverse? That is, will they pick you up at the ship and transfer you to the Alamo desk at FFL after deboarding the ship at the end of a cruise?

That is what the reservation call center lady said that they shuttle to/from port. Hopefully, there will be some Alamo renters confirming for future renters:)

Edited by pilot04

Any suggestions for a Fort Lauderdale area hotel with the following

*Free Breakfast

*Free Parking

*Nice Lounge Area outside/inside

*Price Range is 200-250.00 for one night

*Three star and above

We are flying in Friday morning before our Saturday cruise out of Miami - we will probably have a rental car, so shuttle service to and from FLL airport not needed. There will be 2 couples - 4 adults in the room. Kitchenette not needed but at least 2 doubles or 2 queen beds. I would love to spend the day at the hotel and just relax, so looking for nice amenities, like a great pool/beach area, one within walking distance to a reasonable priced restaurant (like something around Applebees pricing)

*Free Breakfast

*Free Parking

*Three star and above

We are flying in Friday morning before our Saturday cruise out of Miami - we will probably have a rental car, so shuttle service to and from FLL airport not needed. There will be 2 couples - 4 adults in the room. Kitchenette not needed but at least 2 doubles or 2 queen beds. I would love to spend the day at the hotel and just relax, so looking for nice amenities, like a great pool/beach area, one within walking distance to a reasonable priced restaurant (like something around Applebees pricing)

When? Is important know it to stick within the price range.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

*Free Breakfast

*Free Parking

*Three star and above

I can't think of anything that offers everything that you want and a great pool/beach area. Maybe Embassy Suites has everything but I think they charge for parking. Summer rates are in your range.

Royalcruz,

My daughter and I will be there May 28th before an Allure cruise. This is Memorial Day weekend, and I know there is a big beach bash festival that weekend.

We were hoping to take the water taxi to a beachy, fun type place like Lulu's Bait Shack for early dinner. Would this area be in the middle of all that festival crowd?

Do you have any other suggestions? We will not have a car - so anyplace the water taxi stops would be great.

Thank you!

Royalcruz,

My daughter and I will be there May 28th before an Allure cruise. This is Memorial Day weekend, and I know there is a big beach bash festival that weekend.

We were hoping to take the water taxi to a beachy, fun type place like Lulu's Bait Shack for early dinner. Would this area be in the middle of all that festival crowd?

Do you have any other suggestions? We will not have a car - so anyplace the water taxi stops would be great.

Thank you!

I don't like crowds and traffic, so I don't go to the beach festivals. I think most of the festivities are on the south beach about a mile from Lulu's but if it's a big crowd it could be much larger. If you want to avoid the beach area that day, take the water taxi up the river to Briny or get off at Las Olas and go to Mangos. Also, Flip Flops at the north end extention is fun, but if it's the first Sunday of the month, they have a gay party in the afternoon with really loud music.

Could someone suggest a hotel for me?

We are taking our toddler on her first vacation, so I'm looking for ease and convenience. I'd like a hotel with a Walgreens or similar very close by as well as a family friendly place for dinner. Bonus points if there is something fun for the toddler (playground?). Breakfast included would also be helpful. (Ideally no more than $300 in early Dec.)

Also, this is probably a stupid question, but taxi drivers are accustomed to folks traveling with a car seat, right? We will tip extra for the wait.

Edited by wampuscat7

We are taking our toddler on her first vacation, so I'm looking for ease and convenience. I'd like a hotel with a Walgreens or similar very close by as well as a family friendly place for dinner. Bonus points if there is something fun for the toddler (playground?). Breakfast included would also be helpful. (Ideally no more than $300 in early Dec.)

Also, this is probably a stupid question, but taxi drivers are accustomed to folks traveling with a car seat, right? We will tip extra for the wait.

not sure about playgrounds and such, but I know there are lots of convenience stores within walking distance if you stay on 17th St. I've stayed at the Renaissance on 17th St. and it was nice :) Good location!

And as for taxi drivers, have you thought about using Uber and Lyft? I am sure they would be fine with the car seat and no extra tipping required - but the taxi driver should be ok with it as well!

Thanks! I'll look at the Renaissance and others around 17th St. It would be nice to be able to walk to dinner and pick up some snacks, wine, anything I forgot, etc.

I've not thought about Uber. I considered a shuttle, especially since many hotels have them, but it seems like a shuttle might take longer?

Just wondering from anyone who has stayed at the Embassy on 17 th St post cruise,what do you do with your luggage till 4pm checkin??I would like to book it for Jan 17th but I don't want to be with our luggage all that time.

I have used http://www.valuetrips.com for our hotel -Hyatt Place 17th St. You fill out their online form with credit card to hold reservation and they reply with hotel's reservation # a couple of days later. I have rooms booked for Dec 2015 for $139 + tax and Dec 2016 for $149 + tax. The hotel has free shuttle from hotel, paid shuttle to port, free continental breakfast, close to restaurants, sun trolley stop in plaza behind hotel.

Just wondering from anyone who has stayed at the Embassy on 17 th St post cruise,what do you do with your luggage till 4pm checkin??I would like to book it for Jan 17th but I don't want to be with our luggage all that time.

Most hotels will hold your luggage.

I don't like crowds and traffic, so I don't go to the beach festivals. I think most of the festivities are on the south beach about a mile from Lulu's but if it's a big crowd it could be much larger. If you want to avoid the beach area that day, take the water taxi up the river to Briny or get off at Las Olas and go to Mangos. Also, Flip Flops at the north end extention is fun, but if it's the first Sunday of the month, they have a gay party in the afternoon with really loud music.

It will be a Saturday. I will look at Mangos. We were hoping for Lulu's, but I think that Memorial Day festival may overshadow that entire area.

Thank you for the great info!!!

We were hoping for something on the water somewhere. :(

Edited by Marylandteachergirl

I have used http://www.valuetrips.com for our hotel -Hyatt Place 17th St. You fill out their online form with credit card to hold reservation and they reply with hotel's reservation # a couple of days later. I have rooms booked for Dec 2015 for $139 + tax and Dec 2016 for $149 + tax. The hotel has free shuttle from hotel, paid shuttle to port, free continental breakfast, close to restaurants, sun trolley stop in plaza behind hotel.

Thank you! That sounds great.

It will be a Saturday. I will look at Mangos. We were hoping for Lulu's, but I think that Memorial Day festival may overshadow that entire area.

Thank you for the great info!!!

We were hoping for something on the water somewhere. :(

These are all on the water on the water taxi route and not in the beach area:

FLIP FLOPS

SHOOTERS

BOKAMPERS

CHART HOUSE

15TH ST FISHERIES

NANKING GRILL

PIRATE'S REPUBLIC

BRINY

These are all on the water on the water taxi route and not in the beach area:

FLIP FLOPS

SHOOTERS

BOKAMPERS

CHART HOUSE

15TH ST FISHERIES

NANKING GRILL

PIRATE'S REPUBLIC

BRINY

Thank you! One of these will be wonderful, I am sure. I seem to always pick cruises during huge festivals. Last year it was the San Sebastian Festival in San Juan.

Thank you, too, for always sharing your local expertise with posters on this board. Your advice is very appreciated.

When? Is important know it to stick within the price range.

sorry, thought I had said - Jan 15th 2016.

Price range is flexible if the hotel is a right fit. I will be in Fort Lauderdale all day on the 15th, and that date is actually my birthday, so looking for a nice stay somewhere. We will be sharing the room with another couple so open to suite ideas as well.

Thank you! One of these will be wonderful, I am sure. I seem to always pick cruises during huge festivals. Last year it was the San Sebastian Festival in San Juan.

Thank you, too, for always sharing your local expertise with posters on this board. Your advice is very appreciated.

Did you enjoy the San Sebastián Festival in San Juan?

We did not go into Old San Juan during the festival. We arrived late evening and checked out early next morning to board the ship. It did make trying to find a hotel difficult, and prices were definitely higher.

Several people on on our Roll Call did attend SSF and said they had a great time. It's a big street fair/party, with more drinking and dancing as the night progresses.

If you go, have a great time.

sorry, thought I had said - Jan 15th 2016.

Price range is flexible if the hotel is a right fit. I will be in Fort Lauderdale all day on the 15th, and that date is actually my birthday, so looking for a nice stay somewhere. We will be sharing the room with another couple so open to suite ideas as well.

That's the beginning of a 3 day weekend - probably the most expensive weekend in January. For suites check Gallery One ($266 on TripAdvisor) and Residence Inn on the Intracoastal ($279 on TripAdvisor). Embassy Suites is over $300.