Birth Certificate

rLYLIANA

Let me start by saying, if you're going to respond with how I should have a passport, than you can keep your opinion to yourself! Thanks!

My boyfriend and I are cruising in 11 days and he will be cruising with his ID & birth certificate. He's 30 years old & his B.C. looks it. It has tape around it to keep it from falling apart (but it is not torn) & some of the writing is faded. However you can read his name & it matches the name on his I.D. & at the top it does say NY Department of Health & Bureau of Vital Records. It also has the raised seal, it's just not as pronounced because it is an older B.C.

Will he be able to board the ship with the B.C. even though it looks its age & some of it is faded?

i dont know about tape,because my sons BC had a slight separation and one lady said i couldn't use it if it had tape on it, if i was him id go online for 30 bucks plus 20 expedite him a new certified BC and that should get to him in 3-5 days.

Let me start by saying, if you're going to respond with how I should have a passport, than you can keep your opinion to yourself! Thanks!

My boyfriend and I are cruising in 11 days and he will be cruising with his ID & birth certificate. He's 30 years old & his B.C. looks it. It has tape around it to keep it from falling apart (but it is not torn) & some of the writing is faded. However you can read his name & it matches the name on his I.D. & at the top it does say NY Department of Health & Bureau of Vital Records. It also has the raised seal, it's just not as pronounced because it is an older B.C.

Will he be able to board the ship with the B.C. even though it looks its age & some of it is faded?

No one here can give you a definitive answer. I can say that it should work, but if it were me I'd be trying to obtain a new copy from the state (and NY takes weeks to get it to you, IIRC I sent off for a new one 8 weeks before my last cruise and received it in 5 weeks). Barring getting a new copy I would try to produce a high quality photo-copy and present that (of course bringing the original just in case), but a lot depends on the cruise line here- CCL clearly allows photo-copies because the regulations allow them but others aren't as clear. Good luck and please let us know the outcome.

When my husband applied for a passport they said it wouldn't be accepted because she couldn't feel the raised seal. He was born in 1944 so it was old. But the passport people could and he did get his passport.

If he was born in The City then he should go to the records department in the boro he was born in and get a new one to be safe. He should be able to wait for it.

If the check in person at the port doesn't want to accept it ask to speak to a supervisor and ask them.

Edited by Bonnie J.

When my husband applied for a passport they said it wouldn't be accepted because she couldn't feel the raised seal. He was born in 1944 so it was old. But the passport people could and he did get his passport.

If he was born in The City then he should go to the records department in the boro he was born in and get a new one to be safe. He should be able to wait for it.

If the check in person at the port doesn't want to accept it ask to speak to a supervisor and ask them.

No...you do not go to the records department in the boro where you were born. This page explains your options for obtaining a new BC if you were born in NYC. http://www.nyc.gov/html/doh/html/services/vr-birth-general.shtml

If ordering one in person you go to 125 Worth St. in Manhattan regardless of where in NYC you were born. Nor will you be able to wait for the BC if you go in person. They mail it to you.

In fact, NYC advises that the fastest way to order a BC is on line through VitalChek. https://www.vitalchek.com/birth-certificates/new-york/new-york-city-dept-of-health-and-mental-hygiene?click_id=855121413039652866&ppc=0

My personal experience in ordering a replacement NYC birth certificate through VitalChek was that I received it very quickly...and I believe you even have the option to speed up the process by paying for express delivery. I'm not sure it can be obtained within 11 days though. I would advise looking at the VitalChek site to see what they say.

In the end, no one can say whether the cruise line will accept the old, torn BC at check in. It's at their discretion.

Edited by njhorseman

I would contact the cruise line and ask for their guidance as well, but IMO it is probably best to seek an expedited replacement to be sure. Either way, I would not base my decision to go with it as is based on answers received here, unless someone posting that advice is an experienced check in agent with the cruise line in question with first hand knowledge.

I would contact the cruise line and ask for their guidance as well, but IMO it is probably best to seek an expedited replacement to be sure. Either way, I would not base my decision to go with it as is based on answers received here, unless someone posting that advice is an experienced check in agent with the cruise line in question with first hand knowledge.

I would not check with the cruise line because they won't be the ones checking him in. Their answers are often wrong and misinformed anyway.

I second the recommendation for VitalChek.

I would not check with the cruise line because they won't be the ones checking him in. Their answers are often wrong and misinformed anyway.

I second the recommendation for VitalChek.

Good point regarding the potential misinformation. And - good catch - you are right that port security checks first before the cruise line check in agent looks at the ID along with the boarding docs.

And VitalChek would provide the better direction. The underlying point I was trying to make was not to just take our word on a concern as big as that could potentially be. Clearly we're not always accurate with our information......;)

We can only give opinions. Cruise line can only give opinions. It is Port Security who will check you in. Best to go to VitalChek and have BC expedited to you rather than take a chance.

Edited by NMLady

Thanks for all the responses. I will definitely be ordering from vitalchek once I get home from work today. I have no problem paying expedited shipping, hopefully it gets here before I leave. & if not, I'll still have the original & hopefully we will both be on board!!