New ship in 2016 - Koningsdam

ETinCA

I have the memory of last winter's 'polar vortex' stuck in my mind. Brrr, we really got socked with freezing weather last winter and seeing the snow in Buffalo right now makes me a bit queasy about how 'balmy' it would be in Rome that time of year.

None of ucan know what the weather will be a given week over a year from now. :) :D

Sail,

You got that one right! Record low temperatures for the date here and record high temperatures as well!

I got out my parka that I wear when I visit my Alaskan nephew during the Winter and it was "just right", i.e. Goldilocks story.

None of ucan know what the weather will be a given week over a year from now. :) :D

Of course not. but when a site can give you average temperatures based on decades of collected data... average number of sunny days vs rainy days vs snowy days, cloudy days etc based on decades and decades of data... it paints the picture as well as one could hope

Of course not. but when a site can give you average temperatures based on decades of collected data... average number of sunny days vs rainy days vs snowy days, cloudy days etc based on decades and decades of data... it paints the picture as well as one could hope

We'll be there with you. I am 99% sure there will be a 4 day sailing prior to the 20th. I believe it will be out of Venice. I am waiting to see if our invitation will come for through that cruise. 11 days is better than 7.

Edited by Laminator

It's the fact that these are first cruises that could discourage me. I was on the inaugural of the E-dam, and vowed never again. I had a blast with my friends, and the itinerary was great. But shipboard? Awful. It was just not up to HAL standards.

The same here. May be one of the later sailings, but certainly not the inaugural again.

am thinking the placement of the TV will also be fine for viewing from the couch :) that would only make sense

we have traveled extensively and now live outside the US (for three years) - to be honest we hardly ever listen to the news at all anymore (and truly don't miss it)

best

Patrice

The transition from Venice to Rome is obviously the shakedown voyage. Maybe the VIP's and industry guest will be on it, while fare paying guests will be joining in Rome.

Maybe. Maybe not. We'll see if HAL learned anything from the awful E-dam inaugural.

That one did have the first few days for the VIP's who head up Carnival Corp. & HAL, travel agents, and media types. They were wined & dined, and shown a fabulous time. Every dinner menu was special, as on a formal night.

But there were also fare-paying passengers on board who were treated as inconveniences, at best. Even the evening show was held up while the VIP's lingered in the dining room.

Even the evening show was held up while the VIP's lingered in the dining room.
Yep. I remember finishing dinner in time to get to the show. And I remember cooling our heels for 20-minutes after the scheduled start time, waiting for the VIPs to arrive. :rolleyes:

RuthC,

Can you give some more examples of beeing treated as an inconvenience.

It would really help in deciding wether to go on that voyage.

I know there was a big problem with getting settled at a fixed dining table, but I don't recall all the details. The arrangements had not been made, and they were finally set at a "make do" status that didn't work out well.

I tend to forget the details of things as time passes and I let it go, so I'll let the others who were there answer your question more fully.

We sailed on the N. Amsterdam inaugural TA. This was nearly 6 months after her launch BUT they changed a LOT of the crew for this sailing. huge turnaround. Even worse, I was told our dining room steward was in training. (he was horrible). I said, sorry, but I don't plan on training a steward for 20 days (I was nice about it).

Service was abysmal on that ship. Food was just ok. Lido was a mess.

Let's just say it was not the HAL I have come to expect and it was the first time I was HAPPY and READY to get off a ship.

Eurodam's Inaugural Cruise was around July 1, 2008. There were several threads here on CC by posters who were cruising on the Inaugural. I remember those threads very clearly. Maybe someone with better search skills than mine could find threads from that cruise and post a link or bring it forward?

Eurodam's Inaugural Cruise was around July 1, 2008. There were several threads here on CC by posters who were cruising on the Inaugural. I remember those threads very clearly. Maybe someone with better search skills than mine could find threads from that cruise and post a link or bring it forward?

Hopefully, nobody will revive the Rev Step discussions :rolleyes:

Hopefully, nobody will revive the Rev Step discussions :rolleyes:

It is SO funny you would say that. :)

That is the first thing I thought of when searching for Live From threads from that cruise. :D That discussion popped up from time to time literally for years.