3 hours between flights????

jkw2765

We have a direct flight from Sydney into LAX in December following a 27 night cruise on the Sun Princess. We are set to arrive in LAX at 7 am on Delta Airlines. We have a domestic flight with Virgin American at 10:10 am into Ft. Lauderdale. Is 3 hours enough time to claim our luggage, clear customs and catch the next flight? The tickets were purchased as 2 non-stop round trips so they are not connected. Thanks for your help!:confused:

Three hours under normal circumstances should be enough time. It'll probably take at least an hour and a half to go through Immigration, collect your luggage, go through Customs, walk to the Delta terminal (Terminal 5), check in, go through security and to the gate. While Terminal 5 isn't right next to the Tom Bradley International terminal, it's not that far away and shouldn't take more than 5-10 minutes to walk.

We did just that on Thanksgiving weekend no less with an international flight from Tahiti to LAX. Claimed our luggage, went thru customs and onto Delta for our domestic flight. Our flights were not connected, so like Pam said we then proceeded thru checking our bags and security. We had plenty of time to make our connection. Enjoy!

Three hours under normal circumstances should be enough time. It'll probably take at least an hour and a half to go through Immigration, collect your luggage, go through Customs, walk to the Delta terminal (Terminal 5), check in, go through security and to the gate. While Terminal 5 isn't right next to the Tom Bradley International terminal, it's not that far away and shouldn't take more than 5-10 minutes to walk.

Virgin America, the airline they will be taking from LAX is in terminal 4.

Plenty of time if you pays your money and follow this link

http://www.cbp.gov/travel/trusted-traveler-programs/global-entry

Global Entry will get you thru passport control in about 30 secs vs. a possible 1 hour wait in line time.

Then you collect your luggage and head to Customs. Customs wait time with Global Entry,,, 30 secs. Us Customs wait time without Global Entry,,, 30 minutes

Global Entry,,, You'll make your connection. (Disclaimer: flight getting in late won't help)

Without Global Entry,,, 3 hours between flights gives you a 75% chance of making onward flight.

Much depends on how fast and far you can walk! Airports are so huge now and the walk from one place to another to another (off the plane, to immigration, to baggage, to customs, out to a terminal and back in to another terminal! What a fit 40 year old can manage and what a mobile but slower granny can do also is a factor. I STILL think that I can go that fast but I can't and I go slower the greater the distance. BE HONEST with yourself and overestimate how much time. Also please be kind to those who are slower/confused/in your way! Someday you too might slow down or be less efficient. Pardon does not take that long to mutter.

Of course all bets are off in certain situation. 5 HUGE planes land almost at the same time. 3 Immigration Officers leave post for break or 2 officers and a supervisor are talking to one couple who don't speak the language and tears are flowing (for a long time) 1 day all will go your way but it is not today and likely not tomorrow either. Really allow more time and less stress. Travel is supposed to be fun (at least on vacation) but tight schedules and crowded planes are very stressful.

Edited by Bowie MeMe

Having done similar changes at LAX many times over the years the time period you allow is at the limit of my tolerance! I missed an onward flight at 4 hours once but fortunately it was on the same ticket and I got a later flight without problem. I think you need to anticipate that it is okay but be prepared as to what you'll do if it isn't. If I had the option I'd be taking a later onwards flight certainly if it is not on the same ticket just to reduce the stress factor.

Is 3 hours enough time....tickets were purchased as 2 non-stop round trips so they are not connected.

I have never arrived from an international flight into LAX so can't tell you whether 3 hours or likely to be enough time or not, but since you've already purchased your tickets you're more or less stuck with what you have unless you want to pay a fee to change them. Since you purchased two separate tickets, understand that the airline for the domestic flight is under no obligation to rebook you if your inbound flight happens to arrive late, or you don't get through I/C in time. They may do so, but are under no obligation. In the future if you're unsure about a connection time, it may help to post here BEFORE you buy. :)

We built in two overnights --outbound and inbound--to transit LAX after the advice I got on CC regarding transfer times. Perhaps it may be worth looking into changing your tickets. http://virginamerica.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/58

We have Global Entry--got it after a 2 hr wait in the immigration lines at DFW before we even hit the customs line! We'll see how it works on our next travels.

Edited by Alaskanb

I have never arrived from an international flight into LAX so can't tell you whether 3 hours or likely to be enough time or not, but since you've already purchased your tickets you're more or less stuck with what you have unless you want to pay a fee to change them. Since you purchased two separate tickets, understand that the airline for the domestic flight is under no obligation to rebook you if your inbound flight happens to arrive late, or you don't get through I/C in time. They may do so, but are under no obligation. In the future if you're unsure about a connection time, it may help to post here BEFORE you buy. :)

Although I did say purchased, they are refundable tickets, so perhaps I did ask my question BEFORE I bought and paid for them. :p

I went on the Global Entry site and can't find a price for how much it costs. Those who have done this process, do you remember the cost?

This brings me to my next question. They are refundable international tickets througb Princess. After reading many of the posts on here, it sounds like this is not the way to go. There are several posts about the tickets not being transferrable to another airline if the need arises. I am not sure if one cruise line is different from any others, but this causes me concern. I reviewed the tickets and don't see where it has that exclusion. Any input on this issue is appreciated!

Thanks again everyone for your help!

Although I did say purchased, they are refundable tickets, so perhaps I did ask my question BEFORE I bought and paid for them. :p

I went on the Global Entry site and can't find a price for how much it costs. Those who have done this process, do you remember the cost?

This brings me to my next question. They are refundable international tickets througb Princess. After reading many of the posts on here, it sounds like this is not the way to go. There are several posts about the tickets not being transferrable to another airline if the need arises. I am not sure if one cruise line is different from any others, but this causes me concern. I reviewed the tickets and don't see where it has that exclusion. Any input on this issue is appreciated!

Global Entry cost about $100 this past year. It's a fairly straightforward process.

Personally I would change your domestic flight -- I hate the stress at the end of a vacation.

Edited by Alaskanb

Global Entry fee of $100 is good for five years. There are already many posts about cruise air. Go to the sticky at the top of the page and start reading.

Also, this thread which is currently right below yours has lots of info:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2032069

Edited by 6rugrats

Can you provide a source for this "statistic?" :rolleyes:

Three hours is plenty of time, as long as your arrival to LAX is on time.

And can your provide a source for your definitive statement? We all rely on our experience for advice in a non-specific issue like this and your experience, assuming you have had it, is no better than anyone else's.

And can your provide a source for your definitive statement? We all rely on our experience for advice in a non-specific issue like this and your experience, assuming you have had it, is no better than anyone else's.

Saying:

..Without Global Entry,,, 3 hours between flights give you a 75% chance of making onward flight.

is not the same as saying, "Three hours is plenty of time, as long as your arrival to LAX is on time." Giving a "statistic" implies some sort of official study (scientific) that resulted in this number, not the anecdotal, "you should make it". There is nothing wrong with asking for a link to the primary source.

In any case, no one could ever guarantee anyone could make their flight. They can only relate what their experience is without making up official sounding numbers.

Edited by 6rugrats

:confused:

Anyone who travels internationally and has experience with customs and immigration (which I do), would agree that a 3 hour connection is plenty of time to go through this process and make a continuing flight, as long as your flight to the US arrives on time. Making a statement such as this is a lot different than stating as fact, "3 hours between flights gives you a 75% chance of making onward flight". Making up numbers doesn't make it true. If you don't understand this or want to believe this, that is okay!

Edited by grandma*knows*best

Have three or four heavies landing at TBIT at about the same time and 3 hours could be really pushing it, particularly if you have to change terminals and go back through security.

Between 9:30-10 this morning, at TBIT, there is a Saudi 777, Qantas 380, China Eastern 340 and an AA 777 (don't anyone ask me why this AA plane is landing at TBIT-it is flight 170, codeshare on AA metal with JAL, Malaysia and US) all landing at TBIT within minutes of each other. There is also a Korean Air that is late on a continuation flight out of MIA and should also arrive in about the same time frame. In addition, there was a Phillipine Airline and LAN flight that arrived between 8:30-9AM. I bet it is a total zoo at TBIT this morning and you will be lucky to make your connecting flight in 3 hours.

Edited by greatam

Anyone who travels internationally and has experience with customs and immigration (which I do), would agree that a 3 hour connection is plenty of time to go through this process and make a continuing flight, as long as your flight to the US arrives on time. Making a statement such as this is a lot different than stating as fact, "3 hours between flights gives you a 75% chance of making onward flight". Making up numbers doesn't make it true. If you don't understand this or want to believe this, that is okay!

Grandma - is your experience based on travel with LAX as your airport? I notice you are based in the DC area. International flights and connections out of IAD are indeed very easy (although they mishandled my luggage once in transit and it was 3 days before I got it). LAX is a very different beast. Multiple terminals that you must go outside of security to change (with very few exceptions), either walk or take the bus to the next terminal, go back through the TSA rat maze….

Honestly I worry less about connections at CDG than at LAX.

If you re-read my post you may see that I was criticizing your categorical advice that 3 hours is okay. Off the top of my head I have been through LAX 25 times flying in from Australia in the last 4 years. On 20 of those flights I've traveled on beyond LAX on a domestic ticket. It has almost always been on the same PNR. I universally leave 4+ hours. At 3 hours I would have missed maybe 4 of the 20 flights. I missed one connection at 4 hours. A proportion of the inbound flights were late but the one that I missed at 4 hours was on time. The hold up was in immigration/customs.

So my experience is different from yours and at LAX I really do think it is foolhardy to tell someone categorically they'll be OK if their plane is on time with a 3 hour connection time.

If you re-read my post you may see that I was criticizing your categorical advice that 3 hours is okay.

So my experience is different from yours and at LAX I really do think it is foolhardy to tell someone categorically they'll be OK if their plane is on time with a 3 hour connection time.

Just curious; at least two other posters told OP they would be alright with this connection time, yet you didn't "call them out" so to speak.

I haven't had a problem with this at LAX (connecting from an international to domestic flight), but I've only done it twice, which isn't a big enough sample size to express any useful opinion. Besides, 1,000 people can have no problem with it and on the day you fly, it can be a disaster. You just never know.

Edited by 6rugrats

Just curious; at least two other posters told OP they would be alright with this connection time, yet you didn't "call them out" so to speak.

I haven't had a problem with this at LAX (connecting from an international to domestic flight), but I've only done it twice, which isn't a big enough sample size to express any useful opinion. Besides, 1,000 people can have no problem with it and on the day you fly, it can be a disaster. You just never know.

I clear immigration/customs at LAX several times each year, connecting to domestic flights. Usually coming from Melbourne, sometimes from Sydney or Hong Kong, rarely from Auckland. I've done it with and without Global Entry, also with and without TSA Pre-Check, also with and without priority to skip some longer lines. In all cases, 3 hours was quite doable with an on-time inbound flight.

After reading many of the posts on here, it sounds like this is not the way to go. There are several posts about the tickets not being transferrable to another airline if the need arises. I am not sure if one cruise line is different from any others, but this causes me concern. I reviewed the tickets and don't see where it has that exclusion. Any input on this issue is appreciated!

They may or may not be transferable, but the full rules and restrictions that govern your particular ticket and which tell you whether or not yours are, are almost certainly not available to be read before purchase. i.e. It's not going to be printed in plain English on your ticket confirmation, for instance. Greatam has a great post about this if you do a search on this forum.

Edited by waterbug123