Drink Package-how did you like it?

On our March 30th Freedom sailing, we were NOT able to pay the difference between a $12 glass of wine and a more expensive glass. Even so, we loved the package.

We both drink soda, so we would have gotten the soda package had we not gotten the premium package.

We also brought bottled water back to the room whenever we went back to the cabin to drink there and on excursions.

Between that and a few drinks at the pool, dinner, and wherever we went afterwards, it was easy to more than break even.

We also had great service. I know some people get worried about there. We did do some additional tipping, but it wasn't a huge amount.

Just off Liberty. For me, the drink package was not worth it. We were in bed every night by 10:30 (our dd couldn't last any later). I was SO full from food every day that I barely had room for drinks. Also, the drinks were very strong so I couldn't drink too many at one sitting! I did make sure to drink 'my money's worth' every day but some days I was dreading it! I usually had a BBC, a couple of martinis, a nightcap or 2, couple bottled waters, a mojito or margarita, etc. I was really looking forward to the drink package before the trip, but next time I think I'll skip it. If I had been able to stay up later and drink, dance and party it might have been better for me!!! Just my personal experience.

I agree, after the fourth day it was becoming a chore to drink my money's worth. Most drinks are less than $7.50, and the tall glass drinks generally have generous pours from the bartenders. I don't normally drink wine, so there aren't many $10 drinks. I got to experiment with everything on the drink menu, and decided I didn't care for them! I don't know, I keep going back and forth as to whether it's worth it.

Just off Liberty. For me, the drink package was not worth it. We were in bed every night by 10:30 (our dd couldn't last any later). I was SO full from food every day that I barely had room for drinks. Also, the drinks were very strong so I couldn't drink too many at one sitting! I did make sure to drink 'my money's worth' every day but some days I was dreading it! I usually had a BBC, a couple of martinis, a nightcap or 2, couple bottled waters, a mojito or margarita, etc. I was really looking forward to the drink package before the trip, but next time I think I'll skip it. If I had been able to stay up later and drink, dance and party it might have been better for me!!! Just my personal experience.

We always get the Premium Drink Package.......NOW.

When we first started taking cruises, my wife ALWAYS got her drinks with half a shot....so she can go all day and night. It use to piss me off that I was paying full price for what I consider half a drink. Now I really don't care. She can drink 20 drinks a day at half a shot now.....LOL

Off course getting the $12 glasses of wine at dinner closes the deal for me......

Chow

Shelton

Edited by Beachammo

On our March 30th Freedom sailing, we were NOT able to pay the difference between a $12 glass of wine and a more expensive glass.
Interesting, thanks. What have other people's experiences been? Maybe I'm confused and this is a Celebrity thing?

We both drink soda, so we would have gotten the soda package had we not gotten the premium package.
Fair point - for some the cost of the drink package may really be only the incremental cost from either the soda package or the non-alcoholic package.

Not sure why people say your probably not get to the 5-6 drink daily to break even with port days.

<snip>

8 drinks in a 14 hour day IMHO is very doable.

Because again, you need to do this every day of the cruise to hit breakeven. Of course you can do more one day and less another, but that's still a lot of drinking over the entire cruise. FWIW, the CDC defines heavy drinking as 15 or more drinks a week for men, or 8+ for women. On a 7 day cruise, you're talking about needing 35-42 to hit breakeven. Sure, it's vacation and you probably (?!) don't do it all the time, but no matter how you slice it, it's a lot of drinking in a week. Also, the USDA recommends not exceeding 1 drink per day for women or 2 per day for men.

Even port days I will have bailey's with my coffee at breakfast.
Hmmm, that's always been my after dinner drink!

In any event, my point was that people shouldn't just think about 6-7 drinks in a day as breakeven, because for many that may be fine for a couple of days, but be a real struggle by day 5.

This is obviously a YMMV situation.

Well, it's 5-6 drinks each day, every day. Which can be harder to do on days when you're in port. And by the end of the cruise you may not want to look at another daiquiri for a while. I think for the average person it's difficult to justify financially, although I understand the whole "convenience" argument.

Also, I like to drink nice wines with dinner (say, $60-80 on average, but sometimes more). Sure, I can pay the difference on anything by the glass over the package limit, but there really isn't that much variety of good stuff by the glass. And if it's not served at the right temperature, it's difficult to do anything about it, other than order something different (though I would expect all reds are served at ship temperature). With a bottle, I can put it on ice as desired.

So for me, if I want to order some nice bottles of wine at dinner, even with the % discount you get being on the package, I'd still probably come away spending more money (and having ingested more empty calories!) than just going a la carte, and I'd be annoyed about having to drink warm red wines. :)

Did this on the last cruise and will never do it again. I feel we got better service when we paid per drink. I also felt that I felt obligated to drink at least $55 per day. I did not include tax and tip in this amount because both add that to the total. Although when paying per drink without pre paying, I know I will drink less and consider ever dollar spent, it would be easier to pre pay but the package just isn't worth it for me.

It was 100% worth it to us. The after dinner coffee drinks with liquor were included with the premium package, we never had a problem ordering them at no charge. Also the best was the Chandon champagne as well as the 12.00 glass of wine at dinner. We drank the Charles Krug Merlot at chops at 12.00 per glass and the waiter never let us glass go empty, between 4 of us we drank 4 bottles all included in the package. The water bottles were very convenient, boleros was right on the way back to cabin and my last stop to get a bottle. We also ate at Giovanni's and the solarium bistro and never had a problem with the per glass wine. Pleasssssse enjoy!!!!

I think that Royal Caribbean actually lost money on skyking.

We are interested in doing the ultimate package. Has anyone had experience using it for the 2 oz. wine pours in Vintages on the Allure or Oasis? I know it does not cover wine from the machines.

Also has anyone else had a problem with not being able to just pay the difference for drinks more than 12.00. I am confused as I thought I had seen posts that people were able to do this.

Thanks

Mary Ann

We are interested in doing the ultimate package. Has anyone had experience using it for the 2 oz. wine pours in Vintages on the Allure or Oasis? I know it does not cover wine from the machines.

Also has anyone else had a problem with not being able to just pay the difference for drinks more than 12.00. I am confused as I thought I had seen posts that people were able to do this.

Thanks

Mary Ann

No package covers the 2oz wine pours in Vintages.

Edited by clarea

My DW and I both had the $55 package and it was sooo worth it. We never had an issue with getting our moneys worth. Most nights we were in bed by 11pm. All we did was have 3-4 by the pool (6hrs) 1 with dinner (2hrs) and 2-3 after dinner (3hrs). That is less than 1 drink an hour, not even enough to get you legally drunk (.08). We had a blast and never had to worry about what we were spending on drinks and never got drunk (darn). The first day we probably had more by the pool, but that is just extra over and above the cost of the package. Remember if you drink extra 1 day say $80 worth you can drink less on another day and still break even.

We were also on a cruise that had mostly time on the boat. We were in St Maartin till 5PM and San Juan till 2PM and the other port day was Labadee which you can use the package on.

Well worth it IMO!!!!

How much are the bottles of still water?

Last time we bought some, all they had were 1L bottles of Evian, and they were around $4 to $5 each.

Edited by clarea

Thanks! I don't understand why shots aren't included in the packages.

I thought I read that after dinner shots were included, just that the souvenir glasses would cost extra.

Edited by clarea

I hope you're correct, a previous poster stated they weren't included.

Again, might be something that varies ship to ship. If that's important to you, don't purchase ahead of time. Wait until you board and ask what the package includes before you buy.

This seems strange, the package says wine under $12 and most 2 oz pours are under the dollar amount.

The package only covers full glasses of wine. Royal's rules, whether they make sense or not.

I hope you're correct, a previous poster stated they weren't included.

Just off Grandeur and we could get cordials and also did a few lemon drops as well. Most drinks can be had neat, like Gand Marnier, Sambuca (with coffee beans) and top shelf bourbons like Bookers, Basil Hayden & Makers Mark (which, mixed with Ginger Ale cured me of so mild sea sickness in high seas). Where I did find confusion, was with Patron. Early in the cruise I was able to get the Patron (Silver) perfect margarita as it was less than $10.00. By day 3, I was told throughout the ship that Patron of any variety was not included. For the most part, I did not feel service suffered. In fact, I gave one of our WOW cards and a substantial additional tip to one of the bartenders (in the Solarium). Our dining room drink server also got an extra tip as well for remembering our order each night and making a b-line to us as soon as we sat down. In the end, I think it was totally worth it and my wife and I enjoyed the package completely (and, we felt we at least broke even).

Just off Grandeur and we could get cordials and also did a few lemon drops as well. Most drinks can be had neat, like Gand Marnier, Sambuca (with coffee beans) and top shelf bourbons like Bookers, Basil Hayden & Makers Mark (which, mixed with Ginger Ale cured me of so mild sea sickness in high seas). Where I did find confusion, was with Patron. Early in the cruise I was able to get the Patron (Silver) perfect margarita as it was less than $10.00. By day 3, I was told throughout the ship that Patron of any variety was not included. For the most part, I did not feel service suffered. In fact, I gave one of our WOW cards and a substantial additional tip to one of the bartenders (in the Solarium). Our dining room drink server also got an extra tip as well for remembering our order each night and making a b-line to us as soon as we sat down. In the end, I think it was totally worth it and my wife and I enjoyed the package completely (and, we felt we at least broke even).

On the Allure, in the Solarium, I asked for a Patron Margarita w/a Grand Marnier float, with the PP package, no extra charge, no issues - "whatever the lady wants" the bartender said (after he caught someone's puzzled look) !!

I also understood that the shooters were included, in a regular glass, although I did not indulge (hmmm, not sure why either...!).

I found that the bottled water was the coldest when obtained at an inside bar rather than the pool bar, since they leave them on the counter rather in the chiller.

I think I met the $55/day challenge, or at least came close. That was good enough for me and I'd do it again. Although what I WOULDN'T do again is drink Long Island Iced Teas the first day...after getting up at 3am for traveling, boarding at 12:00, indulging right away w/LIIT's, I was LIT by muster and missed it. Well, I was there but missed it, if you catch my drift :o

And I had to sign for every drink, except twice when I asked for water only. So the person that mentioned the convenience of not having to sign? Not so.