Carnival vs Royal Caribbean?

kwazi07

I didn't have time to read the thread, but in a street fight I'm pretty sure we can take those pampered Royals. ;)

I ain't scared of y'all! lol! I just got off of Freedom of the Seas, and it was fantastic! But so was every cruise I have taken on Royal. Personally, I can make due without the upcharges. If I want a burger, I'll eat a Windjammer one. If I want orange juice, it's not the fresh squeezed, it's the free stuff. I didn't even use room service on this last cruise, though it was free until midnight. I drank the "Seattle's Best" coffee (free), not the "Starbucks". Even though RC can charge you more here and there, you can manage without those items. Or at least I can! I am taking my first Carnival cruise in October, and I am going with the attitude that no cruise is a bad cruise!

I ain't scared of y'all! lol! I just got off of Freedom of the Seas, and it was fantastic! But so was every cruise I have taken on Royal. Personally, I can make due without the upcharges. If I want a burger, I'll eat a Windjammer one. If I want orange juice, it's not the fresh squeezed, it's the free stuff. I didn't even use room service on this last cruise, though it was free until midnight. I drank the "Seattle's Best" coffee (free), not the "Starbucks". Even though RC can charge you more here and there, you can manage without those items. Or at least I can! I am taking my first Carnival cruise in October, and I am going with the attitude that no cruise is a bad cruise!

First of all, you are correct, there is no cruise that is a bad one. My points were in reference to another post and my thoughts about sailing the Oasis. I like you mention, took the less traveled (free) path. My point was the feeling I got while on the cruise (which I enjoyed by the way and post a review of it both here and on the main Royal page). The opportunity to get me for 3/5/7 dollars or more had that nickel and diming (feeling) to me. It's not good or bad, it's just what I felt.

The other point I would make is that there is way more similar than different. All that being said, we feel more at home on a Carnival cruise, but that's us.

• 3 weeks later...
Just a quick note - we just got off the Legend April 20, and while it did get some of the 2.0 upgrades in the Feb drydock, it did not get all the ones listed above. There is no Guy's Burgers, no Blue Iguana Cantina, and (thankfully) no big movie screen on deck. It did get a new waterslide (Green Thunder), waterworks, Red Frog Pub, Cherry on Top, punchliner, new stage shows, and Bonsai Sushi.

We absolutely LOVED our Legend cruise - the ship was wonderful, crew very accommodating, and the ports were excellent. It never felt crowded (the Spirit class - Legend is a part of - has the best tonnage to passenger ratio of all the Carnival ships).

Tampa was also a very easy port to embark/disembark.

Really no bigscreen? I HATE THAT THING. Seriously this may sound crazy but I may begin booking my cruises based on a ship not having one.

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Forums mobile app

You can easily go to Entertainment Place when you board and reserve your shows right there. My sister surprised us at port and had no reservations and was able to get them to go with us. :) I do not think this is well known.

You may be right, but there were still lines in standby.

You may be right, but there were still lines in standby.

What is standby? Where you wait at the venue? There was no wait at the entertainment place. There are a good amount of staff there to help people reserve. :)

What is standby? Where you wait at the venue? There was no wait at the entertainment place. There are a good amount of staff there to help people reserve. :)

Yes, it is a line at the venue. If people who had reservations don't show up then they can go in.

Sent using the Cruise Critic forums app from my IPhone

The first thing you will notice is that Royals ship are head and shoulders above Carnival. They don't sail old rust buckets, i.e. the Fantasy class.

Thanks for adding to the conversation.

The first thing you will notice is that Royals ship are head and shoulders above Carnival. They don't sail old rust buckets, i.e. the Fantasy class.

Really! Having sailed on both Ecstasy and Fascination, which are both Fantasy class ships, both were clean, comfortable, and very nicely maintained.

And while I'm at it, RCCLs Vision Class ships are all built in the 90s, just like the Fantasy class. So using your analogy, the Vision Class must be a bunch of "old rust buckets," although you implied RCCL doesn't have those........

Thanks for adding to the conversation.

Deja vu all over again eh Jimbo? This stuff never gets old. :D

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Really??

Well I wonder if you will remember these quotes from a recent review re: Imagination?????

"I must say I was pleasantly surprised by the condition of the ship. I wasn't expecting much being that the imagination is an older, Fantasy class ship. The public areas all had new or recently replaced carpeting."......

"The Imagination has the new menus.

That evening we both had the jerk pork for dinner. It was outstanding!

I don't recall what we had for dessert but will say that every dessert was delicious.".....

"In summary I will say that it was a great cruise and a wonderful weekend get away. Well done, Carnival!!!!"

Now... Isn't that from a review YOU wrote???????:o

Mmmmmmm............

I must say I was pleasantly surprised by the condition of the ship. I wasn't expecting much being that the imagination is an older, Fantasy class ship. The public areas all had new or recently replaced carpeting.The Imagination has the new menus.*

I have no "dog in the fight"..I love them all..it is cruise to cruise ship to ship week to week...I think if OP can save the air....hotels..take the 7 day..that will be wonderful and there is just a need to take a 7 day to compare what you will like and get unwound enough.

I just love dreaming of travel and all the details..hotel type..everything for a trip to beach in my Beloved Oregon to a big overseas trip.

I have had 7 very varied cruises and only repeat line was 2 more recent Carnival cruises and that 7 cruises is over cough... cough almost 35 years. Everything is alike and not alike..you have to take your cruises say in the last 10 years for the best comparing and kind of go class to class.

Generally I know from friends and personal experience on 2 Carnival ships...you can not go wrong...but your mood and everyone elses on a more "around people" experience on a ship makes a big difference.

You are getting great detail here..and hot air..go with your 7 day or your gut after reading all...I just would take 7 days to get a feel and it can not be bad on a Spirit Class, a favored hull design used by Cunard too..they can no squish as many folks on that class...i was on a full Easter cruise..5 day..yes my Catalina/Ensenada Paradise Fantasy Class 4 day was less crowded than my Easter Carnival Spirit 5 day.. Also it was more quiet, but that was due to solo inside cabin in a better place etc...and the people at table were fantastic...and Easter trumped the usual less crowd rule..every spare bunk was taken with kids.

There are little deals you will like better on each one..what ever you do have a blast..if your ship does not have Coke products..well carrey them on..get an ok...LOL...say Pepsi makes you allergic....LOL...

Don't know what Royal has in that rule level yet..and their provider...

PS My B-in law has worked for the coke plant here 30 years..same anniversary party as my Dad's 80th..going to be a busy end of the month..LOL..

He does allow the A and W diet..and my mom was diet pepsi>>>

Thanks for offering us the fun...and this age long debate..yes I think RC is a tiny fancier until the Mall ships and up which I am dying to try and will love and offer lots more if you like the entertainment wxtra restaurants and all..but I love tiny too..an old sailboat..styrofoam..still in commission...Kool Cigarette..my dad has made a new bottom in fyberglass strengthened every few years...Life is good...

I need to try Victory, Conquest, and then Magic, Dream Breeze classes still...but many many say the Spirit class for traffic flow, passenger ratio, more roomy feel, and cabin options are the best...they are all kept up..they all get hard wear..it is great to have a new or newly refurbished ship after you get some of the bugs out.

Personally..every cruise is a treat and my mood and everyone elses is the biggest factor..the Fantasy Class I think is lovely because it is now the smallest ship...better service with the least people to cover..i think a hare better on the food too..but i am sad about new menu..because I loved the other..Carnival is getting more and more casual because that is it's aim..as affordable as possible..but you can still get Chef's Table and Tea on all ships, Steakhouse on many, and nice bars with fun concoctions everywhere.

You can also save on Carnival if you don't smoke going for oceanview cabins that are a quite a bit larger because that space is put into the balcony..so far Carnival has been what I could afford and get it very carefully compared and have 90 day or less last minute exits as work goes..and bid on air and hotel..my big expense as a solo in beautiful Montana.

Have a blast..i would take the 7 day..with those classes it will be a bit better I think..and have enough extras..Carnival does that..they have the splurge extras and the free extras both...so i am happy as a picky person with the "entry level budget U S cruise" that has for the most part improved over the years and honored their Fantasy class...now the oldest..I love the Paradise and Empress Deco things..NO SHIP is a CHEAP ship..look at the details for real..unless you are top of an old Forbes family..plenty niceties can be found...except the no coke..LOLOLOL....let us know...Sarah

And one more thought..the relaxation and getting into experience both times would have been better if longer...but they were both wonderful..you can have fun just letting your hair down a little more on Carnival..not crazy...but hey ..the cruise director smiles at gals dancing when they want; in disco and deck parties everyone dances..I like stuff like that..you can be solo, or your family unit, yet be past of something bigger..good salt of earth hard working folks having fun..it is just absolutely not as "cheap" as thoe ones who say it is ..is..but yes..they have been cutting back on entetainment like I want to see on Royal if that matters. People say the slots are better on carnival if that matters. All cruise ship entertainment varies...Sarah

Edited by sjn911

Having only been on 2 Carnival ships in the past, and both of them Fantasy class ones, I just got off of Royal's Enchantment yesterday. I have compared them in my mind as they are both older and smaller ships. I went with a group of 20 of us for a 10 year Anniversary trip for our company. I agree that I don't think I could have a bad cruise, but I am glad that I got to experience a Royal ship. It may not be the newest or the biggest, but having only sailed small ships on Carnival I have compared them. And for me, hands down Carnival was better for me and my family. We did not go to any shows on Royal, but did hear that the comedy show was not all that great. The friendliness of the staff was much better on Carnival. Not to say there were not great employees on Royal but as a whole Carnival employees make us feel good about being there and wanting to take care of us. I also liked the food better on Carnival as the 24 hour pizza was easy. The omlet station in the Windjammer (actually the whole set up of the windjammer) was complete chaos. It was much smoother for me on Carnival. The pool deck on the Enchantment was much more spacious than on the Fantasy class ships. They did have an outdoor big screen but I would have rather had live music all day instead of watching the Lego Movie each day in the afternoon. All around it just wasn't a 'Funship' and we will be booking Carnival as we have in the past.

if it matters no self service laundry on RCCL

And far more militant (pointing out the 1% that post on the RC board) concerning shorts in the main dining room. Though plenty of shorts in main dining for the exception of the formal night on our October Enchantment cruise.

All depends on what you want out of a trip. If you are a person that is fine with a pool chair and a drink in their hand, either line is going to be good for you. You want extraordinary entertainment and impressive amenities, Royal is your best bet. Want slides and chocolate melting cakes, go on Carnival.

I've been on both lines and while I have enjoyed my trips with Carnival, Royal is my ultimate favorite line. Here are some comparisons I've personally seen.

Demographics

Age: Identical although you see more multigenerational families on Royal.

Snobby people?: Depends where you come from I guess. I've never dealt with any snobby people on Royal or Carnival. Some people just assume wealthier citizens are snobby, not always true.

Ship

Royal has it here, no matter how you slice the pie! I do enjoy the Dream class on Carnival and I think that will be the only class I sail from now on with CCL. I would sail Radiance class and up on Royal.

Food

If you're not a chef or food critic, you will enjoy all of your meals on either line. I do enjoy the 24 hour ice cream on Carnival! I've heard many good things about the steakhouse on Carnival and many good things on the up charge eateries on Royal.

Pools

Seems like the Royal ships I sailed have very minimal salt in them and the Carnival pools are like ocean water. I do like the watersides on Carnival, especially the ones on the Dream!

Staff

Have experienced both good and bad. They are trained similarly and sometimes switch from line to line so you will most likely see some cohesion.

Bottom line?

If you have an open mind, you will enjoy your trip no matter what! Everyone has a different preference so try a few more cruises on both lines or even another one to get a feel on what you like.

You will be paying for extras on RCCL that would be free on Carnival. You will also see a much "older" crowd on RCCL.

that's odd, I didn't notice an older crowd the two times we sailed royal. don't recall paying for anything that was free on carnival either. yes I know there is a fee for room service after midnight but didn't use it. we have only sailed on the three ships below. all three are the smallest class of ship for both lines. I though the monarch had a wow factor that the fantasy and sensation didn't. If price is comparable between the two we will sail royal. if price is a big difference carnival will have to do.

Carnival still permits smoking on balconies, while Royal has now banned smoking on balconies

. . .because RCCL is more safety conscious possibly? Cigarettes thrown from balconies can blow back onto or into other cabins and cause a fire, no?