Removing wine glass from cabin?

This may seem like a strange question, but I have never done it and wondered if it is OK to do. If I pour myself a glass of wine in my cabin and want to go around the ship with it, do I then have to return it to the cabin :confused:

This may seem like a strange question, but I have never done it and wondered if it is OK to do. If I pour myself a glass of wine in my cabin and want to go around the ship with it, do I then have to return it to the cabin :confused:

Nope, they will take care of it no matter where you leave it. Your stateroom attendant will likely replace the missing glasses.

Thank you for your reply. I was hoping that was the situation :)

Well…sometimes the room steward doesn't replace the wine glasses:eek:! Our experience has been that MOST of the time clean wine glasses are left for us. But we have had a few situations where we've had wine but no glasses. It's an easy solution, though - one of you just has to make a quick run to the closest bar to get some wine glasses. (Where there's a wino, there's a way…:p)

Judy

We had trouble getting clean glasses back in the room on our last couple of cruises. Either the glasses weren't replaced, or the ones that were put in the room didn't look clean (almost as if they had just been rinsed but not washed). Every afternoon, I would stop by one of the bars and request wineglasses, and it usually ended up being the same bartender, so I tipped him. Those glasses were in much better shape, and I could get specifically red wine or white wine glasses.

It's one of many things I love about cruising. Walking around with a drink, leaving the glass almost anywhere (of course not just any place) but any table, bar, etc is fine. As others have said, you can get a glass from any bar if you need one. Just as you can leave a glass on any bar when you're done.

Well…sometimes the room steward doesn't replace the wine glasses:eek:! Our experience has been that MOST of the time clean wine glasses are left for us. But we have had a few situations where we've had wine but no glasses. It's an easy solution, though - one of you just has to make a quick run to the closest bar to get some wine glasses. (Where there's a wino, there's a way…:p)

Judy

Since you are allowed to bring two bottles of wine on board with you per cabin, I believe the room should have wine glasses in the cabin waiting for you....so you 'don't need to make a quick run to the closest bar......'.

Since you are allowed to bring two bottles of wine on board with you per cabin, I believe the room should have wine glasses in the cabin waiting for you....so you 'don't need to make a quick run to the closest bar......'.

There are not always wine glasses in the rooms. We had them last trip because our TA friends had bought us a bottle of wine that was in the room with the glasses when we got into our cabin. Otherwise, there are not usually wine glasses in every cabin.

Should "have" maybe...but the reality is they usually are not there when you first arrive unless you or someone has ordered wine for the room...

There are not always wine glasses in the rooms. We had them last trip because our TA friends had bought us a bottle of wine that was in the room with the glasses when we got into our cabin. Otherwise, there are not usually wine glasses in every cabin.

I know that there are 'not always wine glasses' in the rooms.....what I said in post #8, is there 'should be'. The only time there generally are wine glasses in the cabin is when someone orders a bottle of wine delivered to the room for any reason.

Not everyone brings on their 2 bottles of wine, so initially there wouldn't usually be wine glasses in the cabin unless it is a suite, or as previously stated, wine is ordered for the room.

We also found that sometimes the glasses were cleaned up and not replaced, but usually once we had gone and gotten some they were cleaned for us and left in the cabin.

As far as what you are allowed, it is the same pretty much with food also, the ship is one big bar and food hall, and pretty much you can take you food and drinks around just about wherever you like, within normal mannered behaviour of course. We get food from the Windjammer and take it to the room or out on deck, and the same with drinks mostly.

I know that there are 'not always wine glasses' in the rooms.....what I said in post #8, is there 'should be'. The only time there generally are wine glasses in the cabin is when someone orders a bottle of wine delivered to the room for any reason.

Um, okay, but you also said "so you 'don't need to make a quick run to the closest bar". Why is what I said a problem? Others also said exactly what I did.:rolleyes:

Not sure why you are offended by most post, but whatever.

Edited by BND

Not everyone brings on their 2 bottles of wine, so initially there wouldn't usually be wine glasses in the cabin unless it is a suite, or as previously stated, wine is ordered for the room.

We also found that sometimes the glasses were cleaned up and not replaced, but usually once we had gone and gotten some they were cleaned for us and left in the cabin.

As far as what you are allowed, it is the same pretty much with food also, the ship is one big bar and food hall, and pretty much you can take you food and drinks around just about wherever you like, within normal mannered behaviour of course. We get food from the Windjammer and take it to the room or out on deck, and the same with drinks mostly.

Yes, people can leave empty food plates in very odd places, I can say that....we were heading back to our cabin last summer on Jewel to find an empty plate on the floor of the elevator we stepped into. I would put this under the title of 'not normal mannered behavior'....but it happened.

Our stateroom was near the aft elevators on the freedom....so I went on two separate occasions to get glasses for our wine and champagne from the champagne bar. My request was not well recieved from either of the bartenders, and a comment was added that I should tip them $5. It was really awkward. They were not busy at all, and it made me feel uncomfortable. Oh well, what can you do! I just like to think that maybe when they stock they have to run and get the clean glassware from a far off place, and that's why they weren't to happy to give them to me...

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk

My request was not well recieved from either of the bartenders, and a comment was added that I should tip them $5. It was really awkward.

That is awkward. Maybe they were trying to make a joke and something got lost in translation?

We have never had to ask for wine glasses, they were always in our room and always replenished. I don't think I ever brought a wine glass back to the room, always left it wherever I had finished my drink.

Judy

Foxgoodrich I totally agree with you but I spell it "wineaux"! Lol:D

Now that we can bring onboard 2 bottles of wine, on boarding day when we meet our cabin attendant, one of the things I tell them is to please leave 2 red wine glasses in our cabin every day. It's never been an issue, and we always have clean glasses ready to go:)

Our stateroom was near the aft elevators on the freedom....so I went on two separate occasions to get glasses for our wine and champagne from the champagne bar. My request was not well recieved from either of the bartenders, and a comment was added that I should tip them $5. It was really awkward. They were not busy at all, and it made me feel uncomfortable. Oh well, what can you do! I just like to think that maybe when they stock they have to run and get the clean glassware from a far off place, and that's why they weren't to happy to give them to me...

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk

That is awkward. Maybe they were trying to make a joke and something got lost in translation?

We have never had to ask for wine glasses, they were always in our room and always replenished. I don't think I ever brought a wine glass back to the room, always left it wherever I had finished my drink.

I'm amazed that they would actually comment that they deserved a tip. Some of the bartenders I asked for glasses also seemed reluctant or slightly annoyed at my request (specifically in the Champagne Bar). I did tip the one bartender who provided me with glasses several times because I felt he deserved a tip for providing a service. They do have to wash and wipe the glasses (they dry them and polish them to remove spots). If the bar is not busy with patrons, then they are busy setting up for when it is, including getting glassware ready.

But to actually say that they should get a tip and specify an amount is poor behavior.

I've seen it suggested elsewhere to snag your wineglasses from the main dining room on your way out, if you're heading back to your stateroom after a meal. I might ask my server for them, but I personally wouldn't just remove something from a table setting somewhere. Someone has to replace that, then.

Edited by CntPAcruiser

Um, okay, but you also said "so you 'don't need to make a quick run to the closest bar". Why is what I said a problem? Others also said exactly what I did.:rolleyes:

Not sure why you are offended by most post, but whatever.

What you said wasn't a problem .....sorry for any misunderstanding....just heading off to find the closest place to get glasses, isn't what would be what I would want to do.

Generally when we bring wine on board, we ask the cabin steward for glasses (when we get to our cabin on embarkation), and by the time we return to the cabin later to dress for dinner they are there. We have to put our white wine in the frig to chill anyway.

Having two wine glasses waiting in every stateroom on boarding day would require the ship to carry many more wine glasses. I'd venture to guess that the reality is that most passengers do not bring wine on board, so those glasses would just sit in the cabin unused.

I'd venture to guess that the reality is that most passengers do not bring wine on board, so those glasses would just sit in the cabin unused.

I don't guess that at all. Quite the opposite. I believe the reason rooms don't come with wine glasses is as you stated, they would have to carry more glasses = higher cost. More washing = higher cost. More time spent handling = higher cost. Dusty unused glasses could leave a bad impression on first trip into the room. Overall it is easier for the cruise line to let people ask if they want it, just like ice. It's down to cost and perceptions of the guest.

I think a significant amount of people bring on wine. More than 1/4

Hubby likes red, I like white and I'll be bringing a bottle of Champaign on board. I'll ask the room steward for the wine glasses but I might try and get the Champs glasses elsewhere. That way I can make sure that I have my Champs for sail away. Is the bar in the Windjammer a good place to ask for glasses?

Hubby likes red, I like white and I'll be bringing a bottle of Champaign on board. I'll ask the room steward for the wine glasses but I might try and get the Champs glasses elsewhere. That way I can make sure that I have my Champs for sail away. Is the bar in the Windjammer a good place to ask for glasses?

Since you are looking for glasses for sail away, I would think that the bar in Windjammer on embarkation day will be much too crowded. Perhaps try the pool deck bar, especially if you arrive on board relatively early on embarkation day, before the pool area fills up.

We generally board our cruises by noon; have lunch on board in WJ, then head to cabin if open or to pool deck if cabin is not ready yet. Most of the time, our cabin is available by 1pm -- if it is we drop off our back packs which we carry on with us, change into bathing suits and go to the pool. Pool bar generally isn't crowded....that would be my best suggestion, rather than WJ bar.