Live from Solstice to Alaska on May 8th 2014...

elena7seas

The Solarium pool is not crowded at all. There have only been one or two people in it at any time that I have walked by, which is usually during the day between 11:30 and 3:00 pm.

I haven't asked about the outdoor pool yet, but will go and do that after I am finished posting here today.

There have been more people in the indoor hot tubs. Not crowded, just one or two at a time. I asked about the heat in the hot tubs, and have been told that one was warmer than the other. The one that I felt was the cooler one, and it was warm but not too warm. I don't use hot tubs, so don't know how to judge how warm it should be. One man in the cooler hot tub told me he preferred the warmer one, on the other side of the solarium pool.

Thank you for taking the time to respond. We are looking forward to being on the Solstice next Friday!

I have read on other threads that there has been some troubles with the alcoholic packages/drink menus. By any chance, do you know if the Molecular Bar drinks still fall under the premium package or what is the cost of those drinks now?

Hope you are enjoying your cruise and thank you again for answering our questions.

Sent using the Cruise Critic forums app

Sun is trying to break through the clouds. It is chilly!!

We did not need meds to help us in rough seas so far but our daughter did.

We have early seating in MDR and have been satisfied so far. The buffet in the ocean view is great, lots of choice.

The CC hostess is under the weather and a "substitute" is trying to fill in.

There is a new show on formal night that we thought was well done.

One trivia day one, but several more today if one counts music as a trivia.

There is no specialty beer in Cellar Masters.

We have the premium drink package but the wines that were included last fall on Constellation and on Eclipse in January and Century in February have been promoted and require $ top ups...

I have been collecting all the information on the beverages that I can, both in terms of what is available overall, and what is available on the classic and premium packages. Because we have the Premium package, it is hard for me to tell exactly, but it feels as if the prices have gone up. I know that in Aquaclass, there is only one port available on the Premium package, and that is a Fonseca Tawny Port. We have to pay an upcharge of $7.00 per glass to get a Ruby port, even with the Premium package. (Warre's Port, very nice). Our access to other wines has been very nice.

I'll try to get the new prices posted in comparison to the old prices, as soon as I get home, with particular attention as to what is available under both packages.

Would you be able tell me if the Molecular Bar drinks are still included in the premium package?

Yes, they were all $13 as far as I could see. I have just discovered the Molecular Bar as I have never gone there before. My new favourite drink is the Dragonfly. We have had such a good time at the Molecular Bar...part of the reason this thread is not as "live" as it should be.

Adrian and Sergei at the Molecular Bar are absolutely charming. There is no liquid nitrogen on board yet, though, or at least, I haven't seen any.

I mis-labelled this thread for sure, as I am not posting often enough for this to be "live", but I AM doing my research as promised, and will have answers for everyone when I get home.

I have to log off now, but will get back later tonight or early tomorrow morning, depending on how much time I spend in the Molecular Bar!

Lois, you are responsible for me discovering the Molecular Bar!!

Adrian and Sergei at the Molecular Bar are absolutely charming. There is no liquid nitrogen on board yet, though, or at least, I haven't seen any.

!!

Those two were there in September! They are a riot. Had a lot of laughs with them. There was definitely liquid nitrogen then, it is used in a couple of the drinks.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Yes, they were all $13 as far as I could see. I have just discovered the Molecular Bar as I have never gone there before. My new favourite drink is the Dragonfly. We have had such a good time at the Molecular Bar...part of the reason this thread is not as "live" as it should be.

I mis-labelled this thread for sure, as I am not posting often enough for this to be "live", but I AM doing my research as promised, and will have answers for everyone when I get home.

I have to log off now, but will get back later tonight or early tomorrow morning, depending on how much time I spend in the Molecular Bar!

Thanks for the update about the Molecular Bar drinks; they are our favorite drinks onboard. Glad the premium package covers them.

Those two were there in September! They are a riot. Had a lot of laughs with them. There was definitely liquid nitrogen then, it is used in a couple of the drinks.

Those two names sound familiar to me. Where are they from, do you know?

Those two names sound familiar to me. Where are they from, do you know?

Russian? I have a pic of them but don't know if it would be appropriate to post it. They were a real tag team.

Russian? I have a pic of them but don't know if it would be appropriate to post it. They were a real tag team.

Perfectly fine to post pictures of crew members you have enjoyed sailing with. I'm curious as to whether or not this is the Sergei who once served us drinks at the evening cocktail hour. He was a sweetie.

Eileen, glad to hear you're having too good a time to post much. Cruising should be about having a good time. And shame on Lois for introducing you to the Molecular Bar. :D

We had the same experience in Tracy Arm Fjord on our May Alaska cruise. Too much ice to make it all the way to the glacier. But the cruise into and out of the fjord was gorgeous and we went farther in than the chicken HAL ship which pulled to the side so we could go by and then beat a retreat. I suspect that glacier looks pretty much like other glaciers I've seen, so I didn't find it disappointing.

I'm curious, how did Tracy Arm Fjord compare to the fjords we experienced in Norway?? Seems crazy that it was almost a year ago!

[ATTACH]312763[/ATTACH]

Not sure if this will work. I've never uploaded from my iPad.

Apologies for the quality - no doubt we had been in the molecular bar for a drink or two ;)

Different Sergei than the one who poured us drinks on the Equinox last February, but I'm sure we will have a good time with these bartenders as well. I wonder if the giant martini is covered under the premium package :). Thanks for sharing the photo.

The CC host is no longer responsible for setting up the Captain's table (Staff Captain, Chief engineer, Hotel Director and Master's Table now seems to fall under the control of the VIP lounge concierge. Standing within the Captain's Club now seems irrelevant but assignment to tables seems attuned to real estate on board.

Arno,

Just found this thread:)

Are they still inviting the top cruiser to a senior officers table?

If they are ignoring standing in Captains Club I would think not :(

The changes just keep coming......

Tom

I'm curious, how did Tracy Arm Fjord compare to the fjords we experienced in Norway?? Seems crazy that it was almost a year ago!

Well the ice in the water was one big difference! I think Tracy Arm seemed to be a bit wider than the fjords in Norway, but all fjords are beautiful to me!

Hi Eileen:D....I am happy to take the blame;)....I know many folks

don't like it but I am not one of them.....when sailing on an S class

ship, it is absolutely my favorite bar:)....and I LOVE The Dragonfly

too!

I didn't realize you had never been there before! Drink up girlfriend!:D

The Activity staff is down to an Activities Director and an Activities Host. There was less Trivia at the beginning of the cruise, but more in the last few days. However, the timing has not been good for me, so I have only participated once. Trivia is a favourite of mine, and I have missed it. I will write more about the trivia and activities when I return home.

The Beyond the Podium lectures by Brent Nixon and Miss Mary Amanda Fairchild have been first rate, and there have been a good number of them. I will summarize my notes on these when I get home. The internet is slow, and I have limited minutes, so can't say as much as I would like from the ship.

I don't feel as if the lectures have been reduced.

We too really enjoyed Brent Nixon last year on our cruise!!! Be sure to buy his DVDs. They are great!!!

We have the premium drink package but the wines that were included last fall on Constellation and on Eclipse in January and Century in February have been promoted and require $ top ups...

Many of us are looking forward to hearing more about the wine selections, thanks for your communication.

We were on the solstice that disembarked on May 8th.

We were impressed by the food in the main dining room. Much better than the dining room food we had on the Century and the Eclipse the year before.

Our waitstaff, Alwyn and Anesh were excellent. Very professional. Alwyn has been with the company for a long time.

I was disappointed that Zumba is now $11 provided by the new company in charge of the Spa, Canyon Ranch. :mad: (Zumba was "free" and provided by the Activities Staff in 2013.) James was the Zumba teacher on the Activities Staff and now employed by Canyon Ranch. He seemed disappointed, also, that Zumba would be in the Gym and not by the pool. Seeing how warm it was in the Gym, I declined to take the class.

A fellow passenger (male) went to Guest Services to ask why there was a $11 charge for Zumba. He told me that the staff member said "no one else has complained."

Enjoy your cruise!

I asked why the ship did not go through the inside passage and instead went west around Vancouver Island. Guest Relations said the ship is too big and will never do the inside passage. I was disappointed to hear that as we had friends on board who were really looking forward to seeing this beautiful part of Vancouver island/Mainland BC.

I asked why the ship did not go through the inside passage and instead went west around Vancouver Island. Guest Relations said the ship is too big and will never do the inside passage. I was disappointed to hear that as we had friends on board who were really looking forward to seeing this beautiful part of Vancouver island/Mainland BC.

Hi,

We were informed a few years ago that ships which are Seattle bound or originating from Seattle don't go on the inside passage, but ships departing Vancouver get to use the inside passage. It's the same on Princess as well.

The S Class (Solstice) is the largest cruise ship to sail in/out of Vancouver. The smaller M Class can go up the Inside Passage (Johnstone Strait) but the Solstice is too big. At 122,000 tons it is bigger than all Princess ships other than the Royal.

Edited by Christine Frances