Live from Solstice to Alaska on May 8th 2014...

elena7seas

Disappointed to hear you weren’t able to make it all the way up the Tracy Arm Fjord to the Sawyer Glacier, as this is one of the cruise highlights. Did the captain give a specific reason?

Very common this early in the season. Too much ice.

Next month will be my first time on Celebrity so I'm unfamiliar with some terminology. Is the "elite" breakfast for certain passengers, like cabin class or previous cruisers, or for everyone? (Anyone can reply to my question)

Thanks for your post. Here are wishes for smooth seas the rest of the cruise.

Next month will be my first time on Celebrity so I'm unfamiliar with some terminology. Is the "elite" breakfast for certain passengers, like cabin class or previous cruisers, or for everyone? (Anyone can reply to my question)

Hi, yes, the Elite Breakfast is a perk for previous cruisers.

"Although we were expecting to go north up the Inside Passage, we did not, and went up the west side of Vancouver Island. The water was a little choppy in the morning, and I had to resort to Bonine to keep me on an even keel in the morning. The sea was like glass yesterday."

I thought most inside passages departing from Vancouver sailed to the east of Vancouver island? I am booked for this trip next May on Solstice mainly for that reason out of Vancouver. I do see this years 1st stop is Tracy Arm while next year is Ketchikan, so maybe with the greater distance needed to be traveled is the reason you went out to "sea".

Thank you for the infor on the Solstice. We will be on her May 23. Previously sailed her in the Carribbean and did Alaska on the Millie several years ago. Hope you continue to have a pleasant cruise.

Thank you for the infor on the Solstice. We will be on her May 23. Previously sailed her in the Carribbean and did Alaska on the Millie several years ago. Hope you continue to have a pleasant cruise.

We will be on the Solstice for an 8-night cruise to Alaska, out of Vancouver and returning to Seattle.

I am going to check on a few things for Cruise Critic posters while I am on board, so if you have any questions, I will add them to my list.

I will post short answers from onboard as much as possible. The update to the Beverage List and Beverage Calculator will have to wait until I return home.

On my list so far:

1. Update Beverage List and Prices as fully as possible.

2. Check status of VIP Lounge

3. Update the Who's On Board List

4. Check on the brand of tea in the Buffet and elsewhere

5. Review the Elite Breakfast format

6. Review the Elite Cocktail lounge

7. Review the Elite Afternoon Tea

8. Review the Captain's Club Celebration

9. Check out what's happening with Zumba

I will also see if I can find any local information on the planned changes for Cellar Masters on the Solstice, and the status of the Hot Glass Show, recognizing that this type of information is not much more than hearsay at this point. Whatever the plans are now, they may change (and likely will) before implementation.

Keep your fingers crossed for us, for a sunny sailaway from Vancouver! We have a brand new cruiser with us, and his wife wants him to love cruising!

My son and daughter in law are on this sailing with you, they are celebrating their 25 anniversary, I have been trying ti keep up with them and tracking the Solstice and saw that it didn't go up to Tracy Arm fiord, also saw the wet Vancouver. Thanks for the post on the weather conditions, I see that today in Juneau it was light rain, hopefully it will clear up for everyone. She may have had to take a Bonine also. We have done Alaska twice and would do it again, absolutely loved it. We were on Royal Caribbean for our sailings. We will be on the sister ship Eclipse in Jan doing a 14 day southern Caribean so I am excited to hear about this class of ship. Thanks again for all the updates. Smooth Sailing

Thanks for the post on the weather conditions, I see that today in Juneau it was light rain, hopefully it will clear up for everyone.

Sun is trying to break through the clouds. It is chilly!!

We did not need meds to help us in rough seas so far but our daughter did.

We have early seating in MDR and have been satisfied so far. The buffet in the ocean view is great, lots of choice.

The CC hostess is under the weather and a "substitute" is trying to fill in.

There is a new show on formal night that we thought was well done.

One trivia day one, but several more today if one counts music as a trivia.

There is no specialty beer in Cellar Masters.

We have the premium drink package but the wines that were included last fall on Constellation and on Eclipse in January and Century in February have been promoted and require $ top ups...

I wanted to clarify for you...the Elite breakfast is for Elite and Elite+ levels. I am uncertain if suite cabins are invited. Don't worry though...it is really is only a continental style breakfast with espresso and caps and not all that anyways. You will need to enjoy a few more sailings with Celebrity to partake in this private venue...Welcome aboard!

Would someone on this sailing ask which brands of Scotch are included in the Classic package? I am a Dewers person and need to know if I should upgrade my package.

Happy Sailing!

Thanks. We don't sail until Sept.

Kathy

Sun is trying to break through the clouds. It is chilly!!

We did not need meds to help us in rough seas so far but our daughter did.

We have early seating in MDR and have been satisfied so far. The buffet in the ocean view is great, lots of choice.

The CC hostess is under the weather and a "substitute" is trying to fill in.

There is a new show on formal night that we thought was well done.

One trivia day one, but several more today if one counts music as a trivia.

There is no specialty beer in Cellar Masters.

We have the premium drink package but the wines that were included last fall on Constellation and on Eclipse in January and Century in February have been promoted and require $ top ups...

Do you remember any wines in particular?

How about the Martini and Molecular Bars - are they still under the $13?

Murano is now $50; Tuscan $45, Silk Harvest $35.

Old Vine Zinfadel was $13, now $14.50 per glass. Conundrum similar increase.

Niquill $18!!!

I strongly suggest bringing cold meds for this cruise.

Rain, sun, cold, rain, cold, cold, rain was the pattern for the day.

Dewars... is low on the totem pole. I can't imagine it ever being priced out of any package. It's even served for the elite social hour just as the cheapest vintages of white and red wine. (oops that was an editorial comment) ;)

I can't imagine anyone foregoing Tuscan elite(+) breakfast with that marvellous view for any other location. Mike's is, was, and always will be a dead zone. There is no beer setup in Cellar Masters. The wine dispensers are still there.

Music has been wonderfully toned down in every venue. This is a multi cultural cruise and perhaps it would have been difficult finding a common factor for musical tastes.

I told my wife that Bistro on Five was now seven and she thought that it had moved to deck 7...

Rose, the captain's Club hostess still has not appeared... still under the weather and a temp is attempting to fill the void.

The CC host is no longer responsible for setting up the Captain's table (Staff Captain, Chief engineer, Hotel Director and Master's Table now seems to fall under the control of the VIP lounge concierge. Standing within the Captain's Club now seems irrelevant but assignment to tables seems attuned to real estate on board.

The CC host(ess) is not involved in the Captain's Club Celebration nor introducing the program nor recognizing frequent cruisers.

Since so many passengers now have the beverage package, I see no reason why people would attend the Captain's Club Celebration nor the senior officer's party or even the elite social hour. The drinks and service are better in the lounge of your choice.

Edited by ~Cruisenut~

Murano is now $50; Tuscan $45, Silk Harvest $35.

Old Vine Zinfadel was $13, now $14.50 per glass. Conundrum similar increase.

Niquill $18!!!

I strongly suggest bringing cold meds for this cruise.

Rain, sun, cold, rain, cold, cold, rain was the pattern for the day.

Dewars... is low on the totem pole. I can't imagine it ever being priced out of any package. It's even served for the elite social hour just as the cheapest vintages of white and red wine. (oops that was an editorial comment) ;)

I can't imagine anyone foregoing Tuscan elite(+) breakfast with that marvellous view for any other location. Mike's is, was, and always will be a dead zone. There is no beer setup in Cellar Masters. The wine dispensers are still there.

Music has been wonderfully toned down in every venue. This is a multi cultural cruise and perhaps it would have been difficult finding a common factor for musical tastes.

I told my wife that Bistro on Five was now seven and she thought that it had moved to deck 7...

Rose, the captain's Club hostess still has not appeared... still under the weather and a temp is attempting to fill the void.

The CC host is no longer responsible for setting up the Captain's table (Staff Captain, Chief engineer, Hotel Director and Master's Table now seems to fall under the control of the VIP lounge concierge. Standing within the Captain's Club now seems irrelevant but assignment to tables seems attuned to real estate on board.

The CC host(ess) is not involved in the Captain's Club Celebration nor introducing the program nor recognizing frequent cruisers.

Since so many passengers now have the beverage package, I see no reason why people would attend the Captain's Club Celebration nor the senior officer's party or even the elite social hour. The drinks and service are better in the lounge of your choice.

Would you be able tell me if the Molecular Bar drinks are still included in the premium package?

Sent using the Cruise Critic forums app

I was on the Century end of March and had Conundrum every night with premium package. Not too happy that i will have to pay a top up when i board her again in three weeks. Oh, well :(

Sent from my iPad using Forums

I was on the Century end of March and had Conundrum every night with premium package. Not too happy that i will have to pay a top up when i board her again in three weeks. Oh, well :(

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Yep. Conundrum cost $1.50 a glass on Solstice

Disappointed to hear you weren’t able to make it all the way up the Tracy Arm Fjord to the Sawyer Glacier, as this is one of the cruise highlights. Did the captain give a specific reason?

There was too much ice in the fjord at the final bend. Captain Berdos took us up Endicott Arm though, and that was a beautiful experience. We have some great photos that I will post when we get home. I do not feel shortchanged by not getting to the end of Tracy Arm, but I have been to Hubbard, so that makes a difference, for sure.

Hello,

Would you mind finding out if the outdoor pool is heated and how crowded the solarium gets? This will be our first cruise to Alaska at the end of May; would love to know how many choose the outdoor/indoor pool. Thank you!

Sent using the Cruise Critic forums app

The Solarium pool is not crowded at all. There have only been one or two people in it at any time that I have walked by, which is usually during the day between 11:30 and 3:00 pm.

I haven't asked about the outdoor pool yet, but will go and do that after I am finished posting here today.

There have been more people in the indoor hot tubs. Not crowded, just one or two at a time. I asked about the heat in the hot tubs, and have been told that one was warmer than the other. The one that I felt was the cooler one, and it was warm but not too warm. I don't use hot tubs, so don't know how to judge how warm it should be. One man in the cooler hot tub told me he preferred the warmer one, on the other side of the solarium pool.

We have heard that there have been some significant cuts in the Activity Staff and changes in the activities aboard. Specifically, we have heard they are reducing the number of Trivia games and that there are fewer lectures (I mean the real kind in Celebrity Central or sometimes in the Theater but not the shore excursion or shopping ones).

If you could give an update on that, would be most appreciated.

Have a wonderful cruise!

The Activity staff is down to an Activities Director and an Activities Host. There was less Trivia at the beginning of the cruise, but more in the last few days. However, the timing has not been good for me, so I have only participated once. Trivia is a favourite of mine, and I have missed it. I will write more about the trivia and activities when I return home.

The Beyond the Podium lectures by Brent Nixon and Miss Mary Amanda Fairchild have been first rate, and there have been a good number of them. I will summarize my notes on these when I get home. The internet is slow, and I have limited minutes, so can't say as much as I would like from the ship.

I don't feel as if the lectures have been reduced.

There was too much ice in the fjord at the final bend. Captain Berdos took us up Endicott Arm though, and that was a beautiful experience. We have some great photos that I will post when we get home. I do not feel shortchanged by not getting to the end of Tracy Arm, but I have been to Hubbard, so that makes a difference, for sure.

We had the same experience in Tracy Arm Fjord on our May Alaska cruise. Too much ice to make it all the way to the glacier. But the cruise into and out of the fjord was gorgeous and we went farther in than the chicken HAL ship which pulled to the side so we could go by and then beat a retreat. I suspect that glacier looks pretty much like other glaciers I've seen, so I didn't find it disappointing.