Live from Solstice to Alaska on May 8th 2014...

elena7seas

I have added all the additional requests to my list.

The weather changes so much around here, you just never know.

Yesterday it was 80 degrees in my back yard. Today it is pouring rain and cool. We're keeping our fingers crossed for this coming Thursday, and hoping for sun for our departure.

I'm taking this exact cruise, a year from now - departing on May 1, 2015.

Any details you're willing to give, I would greatly appreciate! Enjoy your cruise and take tons of pictures!!

Good Morning,

We were on the Solstice last year for an Alaskan cruise out of Seattle. We had a blast and so far the nicest ship we have been on. We loved the ship so much, we have booked another cruise to Alaska with family and friends on August 1st of this year. This is going to be our 3rd Alaskan cruise out of Seattle. The ice bar was not operational last year. Can you let me know if it is operational? Also, the hot tubs on deck and in the solarium were a bit chilly. I have read that the staff on Solstice has increased the temperature, can you verify? Have a great trip!

Cheers

Edited by S&L Cruisers

I'll try to remember to watch you on the Van Cam Thursday. What time are you scheduled to sail?

The trip under the bridge should be interesting. Do you have a video camera?

I'll be with you in spirit although land locked in body. :)

Linda

Hi Linda:

We are scheduled to sail at 5:00 pm.

Gerry has a nice DSLR that has video capability. He's already been told that he will be filming the mast retraction and the sailaway under the Lions Gate Bridge.:D

I will make a toast in your name as we sail away!

Good Morning,

We were on the Solstice last year for an Alaskan cruise out of Seattle. We had a blast and so far the nicest ship we have been on. We loved the ship so much, we have booked another cruise to Alaska with family and friends on August 1st of this year. This is going to be our 3rd Alaskan cruise out of Seattle. The ice bar was not operational last year. Can you let me know if it is operational? Also, the hot tubs on deck and in the solarium were a bit chilly. I have read that the staff on Solstice has increased the temperature, can you verify? Have a great trip!

Cheers

A couple of people who are on the cruise from Hawaii to Vancouver right now have posted that the Ice Bar is working again. I think it was repaired in January. I will double check when we are on board, and let you know.

I will also check on the temperature of the hot tubs for you.

Yes, Solstice is a great ship, and we are so pleased to have her sailing out of Vancouver.

We are on the 11 day Sept cruise from Seattle to Vancouver. Please report when the formal nights are scheduled. Thanks

Hi:) just to let you know....an 11 night cruise may have different

formal nights than a 7 nighter. So Eileen may not be able to get

that information.....I mean, she can ask for you but the folks on

the ship may not even know since it is 4 months away.

The answer to number thirteen is yes, the brunch has been discontinued, as was the case on our 4/4 sailing, and many others have reported the same from other ships.

Hi:) just to let you know....an 11 night cruise may have different

formal nights than a 7 nighter. So Eileen may not be able to get

that information.....I mean, she can ask for you but the folks on

the ship may not even know since it is 4 months away.

Lois is so right. I have been on several 11-night cruises, and despite Celebrity's guidelines that 11 night cruises will have 2 formal nights, several times we have had 3 formal nights scheduled on an 11-nighter.

From what I have been told several times, the final word on formal nights is given by the Captain. I will ask while on board, but may not be able to get you a firm answer.

tlund, I think a rain jacket is much better than an umbrella, nothing to hold and nothing to get turned inside out. I bought a Columbia Rainjacket and it worked great while those with umbrellas were having trouble with the wind. Have a wonderful cruise--Alaska is beautiful. Even in the rain. LOL

Hi Eileen,

A Celebrity exec (in a podcast) just announced some more of the "suite amenities".

One thing was a dedicated area of loungers on the sun deck (since Celebrity doesn't name their decks but instead numbers them I'm not sure where that is ??? :confused: ) for suite passengers.

If that's being implemented on the Solstice could you comment on where it is and how it's working in your opinion.

Thanks!

Hello Everyone:

Sorry that it has taken me so long to get online. Two main reasons...(1) the internet has been very patchy in terms of availability...tried 4 times yesterday and could not get on, and (2) we are having a wonderful cruise and I just can't pull myself away often enough to catch the internet when it is working!

The Solstice is lovely. She is in great shape, and the crew has been just wonderful. Aquaclass is great, and Blu has been excellent on both nights. Our servers for our table of eight have been exceptional.

We were at Tuscan Grille last night. Our waiter Henant took excellent care of us and we had a good experience overall. I will provide more details in my next post.

Despite disappointing weather for our departure from Vancouver, and a moody sea day for day two, yesterday's weather was spectuacular. We were not able to get all the way into Tracy Arm, but Captain Berdos gave us a special treat by taking us up Endicott Arm. So beautiful. We have seen whales, bears and eagles and look forward to seeing more. Brent Nixon, the naturalist, has been more amazing that ever.

Although we were expecting to go north up the Inside Passage, we did not, and went up the west side of Vancouver Island. The water was a little choppy in the morning, and I had to resort to Bonine to keep me on an even keel in the morning. The sea was like glass yesterday.

I will start posting the answers to your individual questions later today, but want to close off now before I lose this post. I will answer one question...the Elite breakfast in Tuscan Grille is as we have experienced before...no changes as Gail experienced on the Summit. The food is seth up buffet-style, but is set up on two carts, with sneeze guards. The smoked salmon is peculiar, however. It is a beigy-pink color, and looks more like pale ham than smoked salmon, and it is somewhat tough and my guess is it is not the quality we are used to. But it comes with all the trimming...lemon, red onions and lots of capers. The "bagels" are less like bagels than they have ever been...these are seriously bread rolls in the shape of bagels. :)

So long for now, from a happy cruiser on board the Solstice in beautiful Alaska!

Hi Eileen, glad you are enjoying yourselves:D Tell Gerry hi from me too:)

I am 90% sure I will be booking this cruise for next May and it will be

so great to see you both again:D