Wine for dinner?

dptt

Is it less expensive to bring wine with you on the cruise or buy the wine in the dinning room? Do they charge a corkage fee if you buy the wine at dinner from them? Thank You.

Generally, even with a $15 corkage fee, it's less expensive to drink your own than buy wine onboard. Wine you buy shoreside for about $10 will sell for about $35 onboard.

Lew

Is it less expensive to bring wine with you on the cruise or buy the wine in the dinning room? Do they charge a corkage fee if you buy the wine at dinner from them? Thank You.

Princess Wine 101

Two 750ml bottles per passenger over 21 can be carried on board for use in your cabin without any charge. Additional bottles can be brought on board, $15 corkage fee per 750ml bottle. These are marked, and can be used anywhere on the ship. Wine purchased on board has no additional corkage fee, and can be used anywhere on the ship. Bottle prices start at around $22 and go up. Most wine with a decent taste is in the upper $20's to low $30's. Wine is also sold on board by the glass and is normally in the under $10 range. Bottles not fully used at dinner can be saved for the next time. Just inform the waiter. No spirits or beer can be brought for use on board. Hope this answers your wine questions.

We also do both, bring our own wine and buy some in the dinning room. The price of wine on the ship is comparable to what you would pay in a nice restaurant. I really love how they will hold your bottle for you if you don't finish the whole bottle. But most all of the wines on the ships are large production wines. Therefore the wines we bring are from small wineries of which you can not get on any ship. It works out well for us.

There is also a 15% tip applied as well.

The last time we sailed we brought 2 extra bottles of wine on board. We left it in our luggage. When we unpacked, we found a card in our luggage that said;

'For your information, your luggage was inspected due to suspected alcoholic contents. At this stage, no items were removed; however, you may be contacted by an employee at a future point if the alcohol levels in your check-in luggage combined with your hand-carry luggage exceed the allowed limits.'

Generally, even with a $15 corkage fee, it's less expensive to drink your own than buy wine onboard. Wine you buy shoreside for about $10 will sell for about $35 onboard.

Lew

Our State (Washington) has some of the highest taxes in the country when it comes to alcohol. We have found a local winery that makes Gewürztraminer, a white wine that we like as much as German Riesling which we love. The winery sells it for $14.00 a bottle, a local high end restaurant sells it for $32.00 a bottle.

The last time we sailed we brought 2 extra bottles of wine on board. We left it in our luggage. When we unpacked, we found a card in our luggage that said;

'For your information, your luggage was inspected due to suspected alcoholic contents. At this stage, no items were removed; however, you may be contacted by an employee at a future point if the alcohol levels in your check-in luggage combined with your hand-carry luggage exceed the allowed limits.'

Same thing happened to me last January. I didn't mind my suitcase being searched as much as the mess they made of my clothes. They didn't even bother to redo the luggage straps, as a consequence, by the time the suitcase was delivered, everything had shifted.

In the overall scheme of things, saving $10-$15 wasn't the reason we brought wines with us. It's that generally the wine list on Princess isn't that inspiring--at least not for the ones in our price range.

Totally depends upon how much you will be spending for the bottle on shore as opposed to the cost of the bottle on the ship. They add $15 per bottle corkage regardless of the cost of the wine. if you bring 2 buck chuck on the ship, the real cost to you will be $17.00. If you bring Chateau re Expensive on board that costs you $100 from your wine shop, the true cost to you will be $115.00. What this means is that the markup to you for the 2 buck chuck is about 700%. The markup for Chateau re Expensive is only 15%.

You need to do the math and then you need to realize that everyone else or has responded either yea or nay has not bothered to do the math or even realized that it depends upon the cost of the wine.

The other post that one person has brought up is whether you can buy the wines that you prefer on the ship

DON

Nobody on this thread has mentioned the silver and gold wine packages. We bought a silver one for 12 bottles (we were on a 31 day cruise) that was $20 per bottle plus 15%. You could order any wine on the wine list up to $29.We thought it was a good deal.

I live in No. CA, and I'd rather bring aboard a bottle or two of wines from the Napa or Sonoma Valley wineries. While I'm certainly not a wine snob, if I'm going to have wine with dinner, I want wine I like. I realize Princess ships do serve wines from this region, just not very good ones.

What is the limit?? I never thought there was a limit. On our last cruise we bought a case of wine and then checked with our luggage.

In the overall scheme of things, saving $10-$15 wasn't the reason we brought wines with us. It's that generally the wine list on Princess isn't that inspiring--at least not for the ones in our price range.

I agree!

[quote name='Tedferg;42674963

]Sknight - you said 'two botles per passenger'' date=' isn't it two bottles per stateroom?[/quote']It's one 750ml bottle of wine or champagne per adult per voyage.

Lew

We do both. The wine we bring onboard we enjoy on our balcony. If we want wine with dinner, we either order by the glass or share a bottle. No corkage fee for wine purchased from Princess.

The same here. We carry on two bottles for the room.

As for the dining room, yes it's cheaper to bring bottles on but I myself would find it a pain to carry it on board having to worry about them breaking.

DH and I would not mind paying the extra cost for the convenience of not having to bring onboard of the wine we prefer with our meals. According to the latest wine list I have seen here, they have taken away the one we prefer. With that being stated, it means that we either select another one on the wine list or bring on the wine and pay the $15 charge.

I copied the updated wine selection list and plan on going to my local wine store and ask them which is closest to the one we had originally liked. Ummm..wine tasting at home..fun!:eek:

It's one 750ml bottle of wine or champagne per adult per voyage.

Lew

We brought a case of wine on our last cruise. Checked the case with the luggage.

No issues.

As provided in the Passage Contract, passengers agree not to bring alcoholic beverages of any kind onboard for consumption, except one bottle of wine or champagne per adult of drinking age (no larger than 750 ml) per voyage, which will not be subject to a corkage fee if consumed in the stateroom. Additional wine or champagne bottles are welcome, but will incur a $15 corkage fee each, irrespective of where they are intended to be consumed. Liquor, spirits or beers are not permitted. Please remember that luggage will be scanned and alcohol outside of our policy will be removed and discarded.*

• 1 month later...

We bring our own wine because we have several wine memberships and save certain special bottles wine we like for the cruises to bring with us.

The principal of alcohol mark-up applies to restaurants as well as to cruising. If you buy a bottle of wine at a restaurant the are going to put a huge mark up charge on it, the same with the cruise lines.

If you can bring a bottle to a restaurant they likely will charge a corkage (even on twist-off bottles) because they have to open it and pour it.

I don't like to be limited or overcharged for wine and have it with pretty much every dinner. We generally bring around six bottles mostly reds with an occasional white. But they are really good wines and I don't mind the corkage on a really good wine over paying five times the amount in mark-up on a bad wine.

It can be a hassle to bring wine, but only on the embark. Then no worries.