Why is there a dress code if it is just a suggesting

My husband said we should come to eat in the MDR in formal wear with a snorkel and flippers on. :-)

I plan to dress in decent comfortable clothes. If someone complains, then in the interest of keeping the peace and being non-confrontational, rather than argue, I shall remove them.

IMO, as long as someone is neat and clean with everything appropriately covered I don't care what anyone else wears in the MDR.

Now men in speedos who aren't Olympic swimmers and muffin topped women in bikinis at the pool are a whole other story.

Edited by NJcruisenewbie

Not EVEN going to wade into the dress code arguments again. But I have to note - a suite is a large cabin on the ship or a matching set of furniture, not something you wear to dinner, that's a suit and they're pronounced differently too!

Sent from my Galaxy S4 via Tapatalk

Low blow MR PERFECT.

Just got off a weekend cruise.

Weekend cruises from Miami have a WAY younger crowd than 7+ day cruises. Only 53 Diamond members, less D+, and no Pinnacle onboard. A lot of local (young couples, young families). Also, a lot of South Americans onboard. And a bunch of new cruisers. These are the new yuppies; dual income, under 40, good jobs, looking for a break from work. Not a lot of teenagers onboard, more younger kids though.

We saw a lot of nicely dressed people. No one was dressed in an inappropriate manner as far as I could see. Lots of cocktail/sundresses for ladies. White or Tan Slacks, clean upscale jeans (not Hank Hill jeans), button up long and short sleeve shirts/polos/resort weak silk shirts on men. People looked comfortable and "put together". I counted 3 Tuxedos on formal night and don't recall seeing any suits or men with ties otherwise, although I am sure I did not see every guest onboard either.

No eye sores. No slobs. No cargo short/do what I want stuff (that I saw) I am sure some people in this thread would have had a heart attack.

Every year I see fewer Tux's on formal and I would not even wear one on a short cruise, I think most of the people that do not dress up just are not used to going to upscale resturants, not that MDR is that upscale.

I don't think the Tommy Bahama shirts were ever in style. ;)

Really?? ;) - I don't think Nordstrom would agree with you since they sell quite a few of these and carry quite an extensive line of TB wear. Pretty high priced retail space dedicated to something that has never been in style. :rolleyes:

Every year I see fewer Tux's on formal and I would not even wear one on a short cruise, I think most of the people that do not dress up just are not used to going to upscale resturants, not that MDR is that upscale.

I think that's a preposterous assumption especially for people in areas like Miami and Fort Lauderdale, chock full of $$$$ and tons and tons of upscale restaurants that cost $$$$ too. I think when it's 88 degrees outside and you want to have a nice evening out you're going to dress for comfort and style, not to look like you are going to a business meeting or a wedding.

People just don't want to do it that much on vacation anymore. I don't for a second assume that they simply don't know better.

You're right, the MDR isn't that upscale. Why should I wear a tie? I am not serving the food, I am supposed to be the one enjoying the comfort, service, and break from real life with my partner, my family, or newly made friends. How would Jimmy Buffett feel about ties in the Caribbean? :D

But yes, I concede, a 15 night T/A or a European cruise is going to get a different crowd and a different vibe.

The only time I ever see a tux is at a wedding or if you happen to go out to eat when the schools are having Prom.

The only time I ever see a tux is at a wedding or if you happen to go out to eat when the schools are having Prom.

I guess some of us sometimes get invited to black tie gala’s and other do not

I think that's a preposterous assumption especially for people in areas like Miami and Fort Lauderdale, chock full of $$$$ and tons and tons of upscale restaurants that cost $$$$ too. I think when it's 88 degrees outside and you want to have a nice evening out you're going to dress for comfort and style, not to look like you are going to a business meeting or a wedding.

People just don't want to do it that much on vacation anymore. I don't for a second assume that they simply don't know better.

You're right, the MDR isn't that upscale. Why should I wear a tie? I am not serving the food, I am supposed to be the one enjoying the comfort, service, and break from real life with my partner, my family, or newly made friends. How would Jimmy Buffett feel about ties in the Caribbean? :D

But yes, I concede, a 15 night T/A or a European cruise is going to get a different crowd and a different vibe.

From what that poster said, the people from Miami dressed fine for there cruise, Dallas get to be over 100 in the summer and I would never wear a jacket, but would not wear a t-shirt also. I did where one of my Jimmy Buffet shirts to dinner that had a collar .

And yet with all your culture and sophistication you never learned not to use apostrophes to pluralize words. :(

You were talking about upscale restaurants not state dinners. Bottom line if you want a strictly enforced formal dress code Royal Caribbean is not the cruise line for you. I would look into Cunard or Regent, I hear they are far more formal.

When I go to black tie gala events the invitation usually specifies they are black tie events. Pretty simple to understand. They are usually held in support of significant endowment for a philanthropic causes, in my experiences anyways, and as such are a celebration of actual achievements related to arts, sciences, and other scholastic endeavors.

So...not a cruise vacation. Let's not pretend the cruise vacation is that significant. Or that one guest's money in fare allows them to dictate to another guest (whose money has also paid fare for the same service) what they must wear or where they must dine. The distinction between those two disparate events could not be more clear to me.

When I go to black tie gala events the invitation usually specifies they are black tie events. Pretty simple to understand. They are usually held in support of significant endowment for a philanthropic causes, in my experiences anyways, and as such are a celebration of actual achievements related to arts, sciences, and other scholastic endeavors.

So...not a cruise vacation. Let's not pretend the cruise vacation is that significant. Or that one guest's money in fare allows them to dictate to another guest (whose money has also paid fare for the same service) what they must wear or where they must dine. The distinction between those two disparate events could not be more clear to me.

I agree on your comment on black tie, I never suggested that anyone should wear a Tux, I was just commenting about “never seeing a Tux outside of a wedding or prom”

I agree on your comment on black tie, I never suggested that anyone should wear a Tux, I was just commenting about “never seeing a Tux outside of a wedding or prom”

That's fair enough. But I think we can agree that formal dress is becoming less and less prevalent in society.

I would never tell someone not to dress in a tuxedo or suit on a ship though. If that is what they enjoy, by all means enjoy it, and dine in whichever particular venue you feel like while doing so. It seems the tux and suit wearers are the discriminatory crowd. You never hear anyone tell suit and tux wearers NOT to do so. Interesting.

And yet with all your culture and sophistication you never learned not to use apostrophes to pluralize words. :(

You were talking about upscale restaurants not state dinners. Bottom line if you want a strictly enforced formal dress code Royal Caribbean is not the cruise line for you. I would look into Cunard or Regent, I hear they are far more formal.

And that is truly the bottom line. People posting on these dress code threads know exactly how RCI runs its ships in regard to this subject. If it means that much to some people, and they are that unhappy about it, there really is a cruise line that can accomodate their desires. RCI's policies on this issue, and many other issues for that matter, seem to suit many people just fine. So for those who want to play James Bond on vacation please go for it. Just keep in mind that RCI is not going to require its other paying passengers to be part of your fantasy.

Edited by Ocean Boy

This is as much part of the switch to mass market as it is generally changing dress codes.

Cruising is fairly mainstream at this point (lots more cabins these days than 15 years ago), and that is reflected in everything from the boat design (lots more public areas + "attractions"), to activities on-board (less reason to get off the boat), to the "average" dinner attire (simpler to pack , etc).

The Quantum class boats take the idea even further with the dedicated "formal" restaurant, which is nice if you like the food theme and the desire to dress up.

The more cabins there are, the more pressure there is to keep them filled, the wider audience the lines will try to attract. They can't make the boat all things to all people, but they will try within reason.

This is as much part of the switch to mass market as it is generally changing dress codes.

Cruising is fairly mainstream at this point (lots more cabins these days than 15 years ago), and that is reflected in everything from the boat design (lots more public areas + "attractions"), to activities on-board (less reason to get off the boat), to the "average" dinner attire (simpler to pack , etc).

The Quantum class boats take the idea even further with the dedicated "formal" restaurant, which is nice if you like the food theme and the desire to dress up.

The more cabins there are, the more pressure there is to keep them filled, the wider audience the lines will try to attract. They can't make the boat all things to all people, but they will try within reason.

Agree 100%, well stated. And with airlines getting more and more aggressive with luggage restrictions and fees, people will be increasingly less likely to want to pack formal clothes.

In the days when people traveled with giant steamer trunks, formal dress was a little more practical I'm guessing ;)

..... People posting on these dress code threads know exactly how RCI runs its ships in regard to this subject. ...... So for those who want to play James Bond on vacation please go for it. Just keep in mind that RCI is not going to require its other paying passengers to be part of your fantasy.

Perfectly stated. :D

And that is truly the bottom line. People posting on these dress code threads know exactly how RCI runs its ships in regard to this subject. If it means that much to some people, and they are that unhappy about it, there really is a cruise line that can accomodate their desires. RCI's policies on this issue, and many other issues for that matter, seem to suit many people just fine. So for those who want to play James Bond on vacation please go for it. Just keep in mind that RCI is not going to require its other paying passengers to be part of your fantasy.

Something of an arrogant post. Why should someone who wants to follow the suggested rules be ridiculed in such a manner, James Bond indeed. I do not believe anyone deserves such derogatory remarks no matter how they choose to dress.

Something of an arrogant post. Why should someone who wants to follow the suggested rules be ridiculed in such a manner, James Bond indeed. I do not believe anyone deserves such derogatory remarks no matter how they choose to dress.

They are either suggestions, or rules, but can not be both. Therefore they are suggestions and anyone who wants to "follow them" is free to do so, and I have never seen anyone talk down to anyone that wants to dress up. Calling someone James Bond is hardly an insult; it's pretty much accepted slang for dressing sharply in a suit or tuxedo.

People get called some vile, nasty things for not dressing up like James Bond though. I am glad to see you do not condone that sort of junk either.

I agree with dress how ever you feel in the "main" dining room, providing it is not shorts and flip-flops. You should be able to wear those in the buffet area, or the "my time" dining area.

As for us, we DO dress up more than most people in the main dining room, and always get compliments when dressing this way, but we do not dress to the 9's like we would on formal night. No one at our table seems to be offended by the way we dress. If anything they are normally complimented us.

Elvis, we'll join you, as we'll "recognize" you, and I'm sure you will recognize us when were all dressed "about" the same. My theory is this, if they can put out nice linen table cloths/napkins, and dinner ware, I can "dress up" some for the occasion.:)