Why is there a dress code if it is just a suggesting

Why don't we all just show up naked. Then there is no dress code issue!

Because too many people keep forgetting to iron their birthday suit. :eek:

Besides...not everyone looks like Mila Kunis and Channing Tatum. :D

Why don't we all just show up naked. Then there is no dress code issue!

Because too many people keep forgetting to iron their birthday suit. :eek:

Besides...not everyone looks like Mila Kunis and Channing Tatum. :D

One trip to Orient Beach and the issue of naked night in the MDR will never be brought up again.

Royal Caribbean states the dress code for formal nights is a "suite and tie or tuxedos for men". I don't own a tux, and I get enough of wearing ties at work (makes me feel like I'm being choked). A strict adherence to that is ridiculous; however I'm not one to walk into the MDR with ripped jeans and a band shirt either. You can find a middle ground such as a dress shirt or polo with a "tasteful" pair of pants and everyone should be happy. You can still remain reasonably comfortable, while still being presentable.

I think I would agree with those who think the dress code should be enforced.

There's plenty of air conditioning on the ship so it can't be for heat reasons, so if it says no shorts or flip flops/sandals at dinner then I think it should be adhered to.

There are plenty of dressy clothes for people to wear that are both comfortable and "dress-code worthy".

I'm not a pretentious person by any means. I love lounging in shorts and jeans, but when going for dinner I like to wear a dress and flats or a nice blouse and slacks/trousers. It's not difficult, and everyone knows there's a "dress code" on certain evenings and if they don't want to adhere to it then they should pick another place on board for their dinner.

Couldn't have said it better myself! If we are ever on the same cruise let's meet for drinks before dinner. We'll be easy to recognize, we'll be dressed up!

Elvis

again I was just curious when this started, since I am preety sure that they used to enforce dress codes? ( my last RCCL cruise was 5 years ago) I know the times they are changing, it used to be if you did not want to dress you had dinner at windjammer. I also think a tie is too much and I would never want to wear a tie every night which people did when I started cruising in the 1970's , I know this is a little bit of a age thing also, we are used to dressing up when going to a nice resturant.

this is only page 3 of a dress code thread. We are just getting started.

+1

There is a lot more that needs to be discussed before we wrap this up.

Edited by marci22

What really upsets me about the ball caps is the number of people that wear them backwards. How much effort does it take to show some respect? PLEASE turn your ball cap around and wear them in the proper direction. :eek:

When I was a police officer I took a report from someone (a grown man in his forties!) that had a ball cap on backwards. I told him that he should really turn it around. He couldn't possibly be as stupid as it made him look. After talking to him for a few more minutes I realized he was as stupid as he looked!

If you have to wear a ball cap to dinner at least have the common courtesy to remove it when you're at the table! And don't put it on the table, put it on a chair!

Elvis

Flame on!

Because they foolishly assumed that people are polite enough to understand that suggested means please do it. Like when I want one of my staff to do something I might say "it would be a good idea if.." or "I suggest that you.."

Little did they know that many people would take this wording as an excuse to not observe basic politeness.

But luckily it works both ways, for example there's no rule that states that you have to wait on line at the buffet, so feel free to ignore that suggestion as well. Actually it's not even suggestion.

Actually on my last cruise at second seating traditional the dress code was almost universally observed.

I was on the Oasis last year and was surprised at the number of men wearing ball caps in the MDR.

Perhaps they were dealing with cancer and the side affects?

Some of you are really judgmental.

###

Edited by PhoenixCruiser

When I was a police officer I took a report from someone (a grown man in his forties!) that had a ball cap on backwards. I told him that he should really turn it around. He couldn't possibly be as stupid as it made him look. After talking to him for a few more minutes I realized he was as stupid as he looked!

If you have to wear a ball cap to dinner at least have the common courtesy to remove it when you're at the table! And don't put it on the table, put it on a chair!

Elvis

Flame on!

Everytime you tell this story in these dress code threads, I'm like wow....Unbelievable that you would tell somebody that! faint.gif What if they told you ......Oh Never Mind!

Because they foolishly assumed that people are polite enough to understand that suggested means please do it. Like when I want one of my staff to do something I might say "it would be a good idea if.." or "I suggest that you.."

Little did they know that many people would take this wording as an excuse to not observe basic politeness.

But luckily it works both ways, for example there's no rule that states that you have to wait on line at the buffet, so feel free to ignore that suggestion as well. Actually it's not even suggestion.

Actually on my last cruise at second seating traditional the dress code was almost universally observed.

Of course, "cutting" through the buffet is rude and discourteous to your fellow passengers. Can you please explain how someone not dressing up in the MDR is rude or discourteous to you? How does what a stranger wears to dinner affect your meal?

Everytime you tell this story in these dress code threads, I'm like wow....Unbelievable that you would tell somebody that! faint.gif What if they told you ......Oh Never Mind!

Told me what? Come on, don't be shy!

Elvis

I think this subject is getting played out to death! Let's move on to a less-controversial subject, like smoking!

Of course, "cutting" through the buffet is rude and discourteous to your fellow passengers. Can you please explain how someone not dressing up in the MDR is rude or discourteous to you? How does what a stranger wears to dinner affect your meal?

In the same way it would be rude to wear shorts and flip flops to a wedding or other formal occasion. (No I'm not comparing the MDR to a wedding, just an example) It wouldn't "affect" anyone technically, I mean they's still be married and all, but it's just considered rude. I don't make the rules of manners, or really care personally, but that's how the logic works.

A lot of things considered polite or good manners don't actually "affect" anyone else.

Personally, I think the way they handle the dress code is perfect. Give a suggestion, and hope most people will follow it, which most do. If a few people don't, big deal. I certainly don't want NO dress code, nor do I want a fashion gestapo outside the MDR inspecting everyone's clothes and flogging violators :rolleyes:

In the same way it would be rude to wear shorts and flip flops to a wedding or other formal occasion. (No I'm not comparing the MDR to a wedding, just an example) It wouldn't "affect" anyone technically, I mean they's still be married and all, but it's just considered rude. I don't make the rules of manners, or really care personally, but that's how the logic works.

A lot of things considered polite or good manners don't actually "affect" anyone else.

Personally, I think the way they handle the dress code is perfect. Give a suggestion, and hope most people will follow it, which most do. If a few people don't, big deal. I certainly don't want NO dress code, nor do I want a fashion gestapo outside the MDR inspecting everyone's clothes and flogging violators :rolleyes:

Not a bad analogy. But if someone shows up in shorts & flip flops to a wedding, that doesn't affect the other guests. Maybe the hosts, but not the guests IMO.

:):D

So true!

And dress continues to reflect our current times, regardless. The only thing that's constant is change!

I recall this line very well from a Broadway play. "The only thing that's constant is change".

Just ran out of popcorn. There should be a sticky since this topic comes up almost weekly.

Not a bad analogy. But if someone shows up in shorts & flip flops to a wedding, that doesn't affect the other guests. Maybe the hosts, but not the guests IMO.

And in that situation the hosts are generally picking up the tab. So for this scenario to be accurate, the affected person needs to pay averyones fare. If you pay for my cruise I'll dress anyway you like.

My point is there are a lot of things considered rude or impolite that don't really "affect" anyone in a tangible way. You can't really explain *why* certain things are rude they just are.

Anyway enough arguing logic, back to the important issue of MDR clothing ;)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

My point is there are a lot of things considered rude or impolite that don't really "affect" anyone in a tangible way. You can't really explain *why* certain things are rude they just are.

Anyway enough arguing logic, back to the important issue of MDR clothing ;)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

:D

Now I have to type something else because I need at least three characters. So how about "thumbs up"? :p

Let me start by saying that we do second seating and have never seen anyone in shorts and t-shirts at dinner in the MDR. One of our tablemates wore jeans the last night, but paired them with a collared shirt and sports jacket. Having said that, someone dressing in shorts, ballcap, and the like in the MDR when they are specifically requested by the cruiseline to not do so says to me that they are rude, self-centered people who have absolutely no respect for their fellow cruisers who do dress appropriately. Doesn't affect my meal at all since they are not at my table, but would definitely my impression of them.

It is so refreshing to see something new being discussed here at CC.:)

Oh I so love the dress code posts. But the formal night dress code posts are better.

I used to wear my dockers and shoes to dinner but now I wear flip flops all day every day. (You northerners ha ha yes I wear flip flops all year round down here) You mean I can't wear flip flops with my pants to dinner ?

Seriously, I just don't understand pants hanging below the gluteus Maximus, wearing pajama pants out in public, backward baseball caps or baseball caps with flat brims, (it's gotta have a hand squeezed curve), shorts in a church, (yes God cares) and some of the other crap you see people wearing like shorts that don't cover the cheeks but if somebody wants to express themselves that way I don't approve but I don't condemn them. Their dress and demeanor speaks for itself.

Long pants and golf shirts aren't "dressing up" but they are respectful clothes.

Shorts are great, I wear them year round, but it won't kill you to wear long pants for an hour or so.