Why is there a dress code if it is just a suggesting

If they suggest on formal night for men to wear dinner jacket and tie and someone shows up with dress slacks shirt and tie but no jacket then is that grounds for being turned away? Is this common on royal on formal night? Just wondering what is a big faux pas.

My husband came to formal night in dress pants, shirt and tie, sans jacket. I wore a cocktail dress, and no one turned us away.

This was on the Explorer last March. I think that the cruise line prints the suggested attire of the evening as a guideline for the guests. They do not absolutely require suites, tuxes and gowns for formal night, but they want us to look nice for this special evening.

Every night there was a sign outside the MDR, forbidding shorts etc., at dinnertime.

Maybe they should make it a "minimum requirement" dress code. Then those of us that want to dress for dinner would have more room. Of course they would need more space for "casual to sloppy dressers".

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Forums mobile app

Maybe they should make it a "minimum requirement" dress code. Then those of us that want to dress for dinner would have more room. Of course they would need more space for "casual to sloppy dressers".

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Forums mobile app

Minimum requirements have been clearly posted outside of the MDR on every Royal Caribbean ship I have been on.

Minimum requirements have been clearly posted outside of the MDR on every Royal Caribbean ship I have been on.

With up to 6000 passengers on a ship, there is no way they could enforce any more than no short, bathing suits etc. It would be an exercise in frustration for the staff and the passengers.

We have been on smaller ships with far fewer passengers and the dress code was aggressively enforced.

They ask people to dress a certain way. Some will comply, some won't. I seriously doubt it will ever change. In fact, I suspect it won't be too long before the "no shorts" rule is removed.

But, frankly I don't see why anyone cares ... my legs are under my table with a table cloth covering them ... why does it matter whether I have shorts or jeans or pants on?

Based on this line of thought, you could just go in your tighty whities then. :D

We were on the Liberty in April and one man wore khaki cargo shorts and a Hawaiian shirt on formal night. Now maybe that was his formal wear as previous poster noted, but I don't think that was the case for this particular gentleman.

I don't love it on formal night, but it doesn't affect me. Unprompted by me, our teens commented on how it's inappropriate and he looks out of place. But hey, if that's what he wants to wear, and RC lets him, then it doesn't affect our lives one way or another.

Just don't be a chog!

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Edited by cindivan

The people should dress this way, but I just got off the FOTS, and none of the men at our table (there was one for one of the formal nights) wore ties. They all had nice dress shirts and slacks on, but no jackets, and the ladies had nice dresses, but nothing fancy like we wear, but it was OK, as they like the way we "dressed up." :) I have never in all my years of cruising on any formal night, no matter what ship it was that I was on, ever turned anyone away.

I've noticed a lot of the dress complaints are coming from the brits and other europeon snobs who I guess somehow think they are related to the Queen who, by the way, takes a dump the same way I do. To them, if you don't like the way it's done at times on this side of the ocean, stay across the pond.:p

I read through to page 5 of this thread and thought the personal attacks were amusing, until I came to your ridiculous post in which you have chosen to attack an entire continent. I was a bit confused because I hadn't noticed any posts from Brits and, checking back, I found the only poster from Europe was from Dublin - that's in Ireland by the way, not a country noted for it's snobbery nor having any desire to be related to the Queen.

Sure Europe has its share of snobs, doesn't the USA? Obviously, from your post the USA has some prejudiced people, but I'm happy to say that in my experience, Americans are the warmest and most welcoming people, so I'll ignore your invitation to stay on my side of the pond.

People get a life and come down off your high horse! Answering the original question: yes, register your grandchild.

Sent from my QMV7A using Forums mobile app

? I don't think that was the original post on this thread.

We just got off Freedom and we didn't see anyone turned away for anything. We saw hats, tee shirts, and shorts. They had signs posted right outside the dining room stating what was not allowed but never enforced any of it. That of course was just our experience and maybe others on our cruise had a different one. I don't understand why they just don't do away with the dress code.

We just got off Freedom and we didn't see anyone turned away for anything. We saw hats, tee shirts, and shorts. They had signs posted right outside the dining room stating what was not allowed but never enforced any of it. That of course was just our experience and maybe others on our cruise had a different one. I don't understand why they just don't do away with the dress code.

Same when we sailed on the Freedom. I completely agree with what you said...if they have a sign at the entrance saying no shorts (the sign does not say we suggest no shorts, it says no shorts) and people are allowed in the DR in shorts, why are they bothering??

Edited by sunsetbeachgal

It is a matter of semantics. Many of us read it different from others. If I even suggest that there is a dress code, that the part where suggestions come in is merely the cruiseline trying to clarify what is or is not meant by that particular code of dress I am summarily accused of being part of the dress patrol by the - it's my vacation, etc, etc. squad. :rolleyes:

But it is all MOOT! Nothing is enforced because Royal is afraid of hurting our lil feelings so anything goes.

I'm only interested in what my loved ones wear on holiday. I seriously don't think I ever looked at anyone else. The biggest issue was the heel size on my daughters wedges (clomp clomp clomp) but other than that I have no idea what people wore, and I certainly didn't crawl under the table to check what length trousers people had on :eek:

So very true of our time on Freedom!

Part of my review:

Dinner Dress Suggestion in the MDR per the Cruise Compass:

Day 1 Casual (Whatever you wore aboard)

Day 2 – Formal (Monday)

Day 3 – Smart Casual

Day 4 – Tropical Casual

Day 5 – Formal (Thursday)

Day 6 – Casual

Day 7 - Casual

We saw it all in the MDR. We saw men wearing T-shirts, jeans, dress slacks, shorts, button down shirts, Sport Jackets, shoes, sandals, flip flops, sneakers, polo shirts and wearing baseball caps at the table. The only thing I didn’t see were wife beater shirts or swim wear.

Women were wearing dresses, skirts, shorts, skorts, sun dresses, blouses, slacks, pants suits, jeans, dress shoes, sneakers and sandals. The women were however generally dressed much nicer than the men they were with.

Kids wore pretty much the same style of clothing that you would see their parents in.

Formal Nights:

There are two formal nights on this cruise on Monday & Thursday and the style of dress on these nights were men in some Tuxes, suits, shirt and ties, dinner jacket with slacks shirt and tie or with an open shirt collar. Women wore gowns, evening dresses

And………………………………….(Hold onto your seat)……………………..

We saw men wearing T-shirts, jeans, dress slacks, shorts, button down shirts, Sport Jackets, shoes, sandals, flip flops, sneakers, polo shirts and wearing baseball caps at the table. The only thing I didn’t see were wife beater shirts or swim wear.

Women were wearing dresses, skirts, shorts, skorts, sun dresses, blouses, slacks, pants suits, jeans, dress shoes, sneakers and sandals.

There was the “Suggested” clothing for each night in the daily Cruise Compass, but was obvious that RCI is backing away from enforcing the suggested clothing on any given night in the MDR. I will not give my views as to what we think as that is not the purpose of my review.

There was the “Suggested” clothing for each night in the daily Cruise Compass, but was obvious that RCI is backing away from enforcing the suggested clothing on any given night in the MDR. I will not give my views as to what we think as that is not the purpose of my review.

See I think that's where people get tripped up. The words "suggested" and "enforce" don't really go together. A suggestion by definition is not something I would expect to be enforced. There are other lines that are strict about it if it's important to you. RCI is not one of those, and we all know that when we board.

maybe you should fill a small plastic pool in your front yard and lounge in that instead. If its such a bother to adhere to the dress codes.

We have a lovely pool and hot tub here, just refinished over this winter. The sauna room is being re-done now. Please join any time you wish.

Yummy lunch for you troll.