Are cabin steward jn higher floors better?

I'm just wondering if cabin steward that are in charge in cleaning suite junior suite or categories like that better than those cleaning interior or ocean view.

For example in the lower deck there are only interior and ocean view- balcony. But going up in floor the same steward might be in charge of a suite interior plus balcony. Are they any better?

Sent using the Cruise Critic forums app

Just got off the Vision in an OS

We only saw our cabin attendent while passing in the hall. No extra attention. We were one of his 13 cabins to keep clean. He kept us supplied with clean towels, ice, etc.

We have had category E, D, JS & GS.

Our Cat E (lowest level balcony) attendant was great and he was often around, but never intrusive. He got hubby a nice pillow, remembered anything we asked for, was very pleasant. The cabin always smelt good and was clean.

The GS (Grand Suite) attendant was a younger lady, not very friendly, and we had to ask for things several times. The GS was in general a bit worn as far as furnishings etc went. We know everything can't be brand new all the time, but we were not expecting they would let the furnishings become a bit tatty in a suite. A couple of chips on tiles etc. The staff in the concierge lounge were however fantastic and made the suite experience very special.

The other types of cabin attendants were good, and we have had 2 x JS, with one older and one younger attendant.

So I am not convinced there is method to their madness. I don't know how they plan it, but I don't think they work their way up the ship! They may just fill spaces as they become vacant.

Our experience has been that there is no noticeable difference in the level of service with a stateroom attendant between a standard room and a suite (or deck location).

What is different is - with the suite being larger with a larger bathroom which (depending on suite size), can include a separate shower, tub, double sink, toilet, and a bidet - there is more to maintain with suites.

Suite passengers pay $2.25 pp /day more in gratuity which is stated as specified for the suite attendants (and assistants) to allow for this, and a suite attendant may have fewer staterooms that they maintain.

Along with the nicer appointments with the suites, the additional service levels and benefits associated with suite guests come primarily through the Concierge Lounge and the Concierge on staff there. Additional on board perks are included for suite guests as well.

But the stateroom maintenance and level of service to the passengers in the staterooms in our experience is the same regardless of stateroom categories, which, IMO, is how it should be.

Edited by leaveitallbehind

No idea if this applies to other ships. We had a conversation with the Executive Housekeeper on Monarch once. We were on deck 10, which is all suites. I mentioned what an excellent job our stateroom attendant was doing. He said, "He's one of the best, that's why he's on deck 10".

No idea if this applies to other ships. We had a conversation with the Executive Housekeeper on Monarch once. We were on deck 10, which is all suites. I mentioned what an excellent job our stateroom attendant was doing. He said, "He's one of the best, that's why he's on deck 10".

Someone that pays $10,000 for a cabin. Someone else pays $1,500 for a cabin.

You are President and CEO of the cruise line. Which cabin should get the better steward?

We usually get inside cabins on the lower decks and have almost always had a good/great cabin stewards. But, once we had an inside on deck 10 with all the suites and I must say our service was better than usual. Our steward even gave us the bathroom amenities that only the suites and Pinnacle class get. So, I think they do get better service on the deck with the suites. JMO though.

Gwen :)

Never noticed any difference in service but the passenger probably doesn't see the whole picture when it comes to cabin attendant performance. Having been responsible for performance evaluations in my old job, there's a lot about an employee that is evaluated that the consumer may never see. I've only had one complaint about a cabin attendant and that was the incessant discussion of the company compensation policy. Sorry, but I really don't care. Mention it once and it's OK but after that it becomes annoying. The only reason I didn't complain to the Hotel Director is that he did a great job and that was a GS. It did bite into his extra tip.

Newer employees start out with fewer rooms that are lower down and small. As they learn their job, they are given more cabins (more tips) and they move up to balconies (more work than interior and ocean view cabins) and the cream of the crop, suites! Their cabins are assigned based on the reviews they get and how well they do their job. We had a newer steward on 2 long b2b's and he was worried that someone might complain about him. He was the best!

Shirley, Sent from my iPad using Forums mobile app

Just got off the Vision in an OS

We only saw our cabin attendent while passing in the hall. No extra attention. We were one of his 13 cabins to keep clean. He kept us supplied with clean towels, ice, etc.

If all you ever did was pass him in the hall, how do you know specically that he had 13 cabins??

We were in the Royal Suite, cabin stewardess was good and did everything typically expected, but we would have gotten the same service in a regular cabin by any attendant doing their job.

We were in the Royal Suite, cabin stewardess was good and did everything typically expected, but we would have gotten the same service in a regular cabin by any attendant doing their job.

But truly, there's no way to know that unless you were also on deck 2 in an inside to compare it to. I have an idea...next time I'll switch places with you & we'll compare notes. :D:D

But truly, there's no way to know that unless you were also on deck 2 in an inside to compare it to. I have an idea...next time I'll switch places with you & we'll compare notes. :D:D

OK, I'll rephrase. The stewardess we had while occupying the Royal Suite kept it clean and we had fresh towels twice a day and ice in the bucket. There was also a towel animal left each evening. The end.

last year my DS had a severe sunburn that made large blisters on his back and shoulders (yes he had sun screen and was reapplied but still happened) but anyway I asked the room steward if it was at all possible for my to get a glass with vinegar in so that I could sooth the burn and he gladly did anything that he could to help, he also brought ice and water so that we could cool him down some too. He also thought I needed to call down to the hospital/clinic.But when I called down to the hospital/clinic I had a terrible time getting anyone to call me back (like over half a day) finally after they would have normally closed for the night I called the front desk for the 3rd time (one right after returning to ship, once about 3 hours later and final call 2 hours after that) and asked if someone could please call me back because I had a child with a severe burn and I needed to know what else I could do to help him rest comfortably and if they needed to maybe put large 2x2 gauze on it to keep it from breaking open. At that point they gave us meds, gauze and tape, and something to help with the pain and did not charge us anything. I did not expect a call directly back but I did expect them to return my call before they closed.

But anyway that was our steward in a FOV. He was amazing

Our opinion only-given a choice between inside cabins vs balconies.Balconies being larger and more glass to clean and tips the same -what do you think? Looking at suites with lofts, grand pianos, more furniture etc. -would the extra money be worth it? Ask where the more experienced attendants work.

Charles and Connie

I'm just wondering if cabin steward that are in charge in cleaning suite junior suite or categories like that better than those cleaning interior or ocean view.

For example in the lower deck there are only interior and ocean view- balcony. But going up in floor the same steward might be in charge of a suite interior plus balcony. Are they any better?

No way! We usually book inside or promenade cabins and have some amazing cabin stewards but never a bad one in 25+ cruise with Royal. In fact during a B2B on the Adventure in January we had the best ever! This guy was amazing -- anything you wanted he would take care of and he made it every clear that enjoyed pleasing the customer. One day I joked with him that our wine bottle (the free one from C & A) was empty and that it must have a leak. When we returned that afternoon there was a new bottle of wine and a note: "Sorry about the "leak" - they couldn't fix it so I got you a new one. Enjoy."

Our opinion only-given a choice between inside cabins vs balconies.Balconies being larger and more glass to clean and tips the same -what do you think? Looking at suites with lofts' date=' grand pianos, more furniture etc. -would the extra money be worth it? Ask where the more experienced attendants work.

Charles and Connie[/quote']

On most lines, the tips are higher for suites. Considering most crew come aboard to make as much cash as possible, given the choice of more money for more work, they'll take the extra of both.