Corkage fee?

There is a $25 corkage fee applied to any wine you plan to drink in the public areas of the ship. I intend to enjoy my wine on my balcony once my trip comes around, as the entire point to me is to save some money drinking.

Edited by theSHAH

We have brought bottles with us and have had no problems.

If the server tries to charge you.

Just mention the "tip processing fee"...

There ya go - be a big man and bully the server - real nice.

Corkage only applies if you take an unopened bottle in to a venue that otherwise serves wine. You are certainly free to pour yourself wine and take anywhere on the ship; you are not confined to drinking it in the cabin.

Corkage only applies if you take an unopened bottle in to a venue that otherwise serves wine. You are certainly free to pour yourself wine and take anywhere on the ship; you are not confined to drinking it in the cabin.

I believe the bottle is subject to a corkage fee if it's brought to a public venue, opened or unopened.

I believe the bottle is subject to a corkage fee if it's brought to a public venue, opened or unopened.

The second post seems to imply that you can only consume the wine in your room; you can pour and take anywhere you would like.

We plan on bringing our allotment of two bottles on board and one evening would like to bring one with us to dinner. Is this allowed and is there a corkage fee? TIA

I find the corkage fee distasteful, but a previous posters suggestion of mentioning a 'tip processing fee' -- is being antagonistic to the messenger, and the staff is just following procedures.

When Royal started to allow people to bring a couple of bottles of wine on the ship, this became a way of making up for a little lost revenue.

Not what they should have done.....especially since there is a limit to what people in a cabin can bring on board.

Sure you can request glasses and pour the drinks in your cabin and walk into the dining room; sure you can enjoy your wine on your cabin balcony (if you have one) before heading to dinner. If you are with a group, you can set up to meet at a specific location and enjoy the bottle of wine as a group.....bringing glasses as well.

But corkage fee is there.....and most of the time it is charged, from what I have seen.

The second post seems to imply that you can only consume the wine in your room; you can pour and take anywhere you would like.

I agree, you can take a glass anywhere. However, taking the bottle may or may not get a fee. Our experience leads me to believe that the crew really does not want to charge, but they may be forced to in certain situations.

I agree, you can take a glass anywhere. However, taking the bottle may or may not get a fee. Our experience leads me to believe that the crew really does not want to charge, but they may be forced to in certain situations.

I am sure you are correct in believing that the crew doesn't want to charge, especially the dining room staff -- for fear (even if unsaid) of lower tips.

When people have tried to justify the necessity for corkage fees (not simply on cruise ships, BTW) , I am always amazed. The justification is -- the extra work involved for opening, pouring and glass washing......how ridiculous....it simply is because they won't be able to sell you a drink or bottle of wine, therefore less revenue.

At home, we inquire before we go to a new restaurant, if it may be an issue...on a cruise although we haven't brought wine in the past, we will on our next cruise....and enjoy it on our balcony.

I am sure you are correct in believing that the crew doesn't want to charge, especially the dining room staff -- for fear (even if unsaid) of lower tips.

When people have tried to justify the necessity for corkage fees (not simply on cruise ships, BTW) , I am always amazed. The justification is -- the extra work involved for opening, pouring and glass washing......how ridiculous....it simply is because they won't be able to sell you a drink or bottle of wine, therefore less revenue.

At home, we inquire before we go to a new restaurant, if it may be an issue...on a cruise although we haven't brought wine in the past, we will on our next cruise....and enjoy it on our balcony.

I agree with you. The fee should be named "We need to make some money on this bottle".:rolleyes:

$25 seems a bit a high to me and would encourage pouring a glass in your cabin and carrying it to dinner. Princess charges $15 which is more reasonable so I don't mind the corkage fee. Sometimes you can price yourself so high you don't get the revenue you anticipated.

We brought a very nice bottle into the Itilian resturant, head waiter said it was one of his favorite wines ( stags leap cab) and they did not charge us corkage, many lines the corkage it hit or miss depending on server, thay all have corkage fees as far as I know.

We brought a very nice bottle into the Itilian resturant, head waiter said it was one of his favorite wines ( stags leap cab) and they did not charge us corkage, many lines the corkage it hit or miss depending on server, thay all have corkage fees as far as I know.

Love that wine, wish they carried it on the ship.:)

I have yet to be charged a corkage fee in the MDR. They are always willing to oblige.

Same here. Although throughout the cruise, I do partake in my far share of "RCCL wine" in the MDR, I'd like to think that has a factor in them not charging me a corkage fee.

The conversation usually goes like this:

Asst. Waiter: "Did you purchase the wine onboard or did you bring it with you?"

ME: "I brought it with me"

Asst. Waiter: "I'll check with 'so-and-so', but I may have to charge a fee"

ME: "That is fine"

Then there is never a charge on my acct or receipt to sign.

If they did charge me a fee, I would try to negotiate the corkage fee down a bit. I am usually very successful at this on land-based restaurants.