Pacific Princess Alaska May 13-20 Preview/Review

Jim Avery

...................... Hey, I'm old and need some sprucing up also.

LOL, I know the feeling. Happens to everyone sooner or later. Looking forward to cruising on this ship someday in the near future. We would really like a smaller ship experience and the Pacific or the Ocean sound like they would be a great way to get that experience in this day and age. :cool:

Back at home and taking a break from the work of catching up on chores.:eek: And just a day or so ago I was in a suite on Pacific Princess wondering what to have for dinner. We love the ship and it was a great cruise but first let me get three gripes out of the way. Yes, only three. First, the cruise was advertised as Inside Passage round trip from Vancouver. Be advised that there is "Inside Passage" and then not so inside passage. Pacific's Captain chooses the latter. For those expecting the full inside passage through Canada's BC as well as Alaska, you will be disappointed. We left Vancouver at 3 pm so missed most of the scenic Seymour Narrows/Johnstone Strait waterway as we transited it mostly in the dark late at night. The first full day (and the last full day) were spent many miles offshore in Hecate Strait. Most of two days was spent out of sight of land. Not what we were expecting nor what I saw when I ran freight ships in that part of the world in the 1980s. The "real" inside passage transits BCs Grenville Channel among other scenic sections between Vancouver Island and Ketchikan. All day close up viewing of scenery and wildlife as opposed to nearly two full days of open water with mostly no land in sight. Several reasons for this have been discussed on another thread on the Princess Board but for me, it seems to come down to Captain's preferences. I mentioned the open water "inside passage" to a crewmember and was told: "This Captain hates Alaska. He has to spend too much time on his bridge". The Captain has to be on the bridge during periods of fog or significant course changes. Hecate Strait can have fog as can the inside passage but Hecate avoids, for the most part, the significant course changes that happen often during a transit of the Inside Passage. I wish the program was give the passenger the best trip rather than give the Captain the easiest route. So, if you are expecting the full Inside Passage experience, you will not get it here. Still, you will see lots of magnificent scenery but just know what to expect.

The other two nits to pick might come under the general heading of "noise". Our Suite, 6088---aka The Maui Suite, was probably the nicest ship's cabin we have ever had. Very spacious with separate living/dining area from the bedroom/dressing area/girl's bathroom area. The living/dining area has a half bath, called the boy's bathroom. More storage/closet space than most apartments and a fantastic partially covered balcony. We spent lots of time on the balcony as it was a great viewing area and was helped by the beautiful sunny weather (all days had at least some sun) and not one drop of rain! The balcony allows for a full 180 degree view across the stern and a further view up the port side of the ship for 270 degrees viewing. Amazing. The problem issues were first a mystery noise that was intermittent but was a loud "boom" noise that actually shook the cabin. This would go on for some time then settle down. It was not waves hitting the hull as it would happen in slick calm conditions as well. Another aft suite resident described it as something very large sliding from wall to wall in a room and beating on the bulkheads. To me it sounded and felt like a large anchor being snugged into the hawsepipe. Not sure this would happen underway so maybe it is something in the steering gear. Anyway, I tried to mention it to our cabin stewardess and, of course, as soon as she arrived---no noise. I am sure she thinks I had a few too many martinis.:eek: Hope they get it fixed as otherwise, this suite is fantastic. The other noise issue was on the times when distances necessitated full speed (or near to it). The vibration from the propellers aft was very strong at higher speeds. It shook any items off of the dining table including the glass top. We quickly learned to put all loose items on the deck before going to bed if any higher speed runs were forthcoming. Ok, that's it. The rest of the cruise was great.

We love the ship. The Pacific Princess is of a size that appeals to us. The ship was near full but never felt crowded to us. Amazingly, US citizens numbered only 67 out of approx. 670. I don't recall the last time that happened on any line. Approx. 60% were Australia/New Zealand citizens with the next largest group from Canada. Very few children. In all, a good group. No issues to report here. Pacific Princess was built in the 1990s but is in generally very good condition. The exterior is all nicely painted from drydock and the interior mostly in great shape. All areas we visited were clean or being cleaned. The most wear seen by us was in the Pacific Lounge forward. A great forward room with floor to ceiling windows but the furnishings show wear and hard use. I am sure it is on someones list. We like the understated decor with all the wood paneling. Very comfortable ship.

Food and service was very good in our opinion. Much better than the bland "banquet food" on Star last Fall. We ate in Sterling's twice and had good food and service there as well but do not feel the $25 pp upcharge is worth it. We had much more innovative alternative venue dining on Cunard for $10. Also on Cunard, for an additional $15, we received pairings of wine or spirits for each course. 5 glasses of different wine for $15 is a deal. In Sterling/Sabatini, your drinks are extra. Both our cover charges were gratis or we would not have bothered and considered the Main Dining meals that good. Our servers were very good as well. A quick aside but we originally requested a table for two. Upon embarkation we went to the Dining Room for lunch and also asked to see our assigned table. It was a 10 top!:eek: The Maitre 'd graciously set it right for us. Great staff in the Dining Room.

Shore excursions we booked through Princess. Shore excursions in Alaska are pricey as is everything in Alaska. Logistics plays a part as does a very in demand short season. Booking, notifications, shipboard staff and shore side events all were of high quality and were as advertised or better. We had the Float Plane to Taku Lodge cancelled in Juneau due to high winds even though it was a beautiful sunny day. We replaced it with Misty Fjords Float Plane from Ketchikan. Also a great trip which went off perfectly. Our other shore excursion booked through Princess was the helicopter flightseeing to the glacier where we did dog sledding. probably the best yet. Fantastic helicopter through the mountains and snow to land on the glacier where there is a dog camp. 240 sled dogs in one place. They are very strong beasts. You better be hanging on when they take off. I wasn't one time and ended up rolling in the snow watching the back of the sled leaving me! I heard about that one for a while.:D We were pleased with Princess's handling of excursions and would recommend using them in Alaska due to the changeable nature of the climate. If any delays occur on Princess excursions, they are responsible for you. If you are on your own and get delayed, you are going to have to get to the ship on your own dime.:eek:

Also in Ketchikan, we broke our string of being the only ship in port. In Ketchikan we were one of 5 ships in port. Still, it was not that crowded. After our float plane tour we walked about in town and ended in The Sourdough Bar. An old sailor's dive right on the dock near our gangway. 26 years ago I was a semi regular patron as my ship used Ketchikan as a stop both North and Southbound. It still looks exactly the same. The walls are covered with pictures of shipwrecks. Local shipwrecks.:eek: Very inspiring to mariners.

That about does it. Disembarkation was very quick as we had only carry ons and it took about 5 minutes (no more than 10) from leaving the suite to boarding a cab. In all, a great trip.

Thank you for the review. Sounds like an overall good time. I am disappointed to read about the deviation from the expected inside passage. Was is truly the Captain's decision? Who was the Captain? Think we would reconsider if we had not already booked our airfare.

The aft vibration in the original "R" ships has been a point of discussion on other posts through the years. We have sailed on two others and that was present on both of those. We didn't notice it much forward of the aft elevators. Still we love the size and the atmosphere of the ships.

Any items in the dining room not to miss? We haven't sailed Princess recently and don't know what's on the menu these days. As for specialty restaurants, I think the location has something to do with the quality of the food/service. We've tried them on Azamara and Oceania. One side was great the other not up to that standard. On each ship it was the same side that was lacking. May be something that is going on physically behind the scenes.

It supposed to 90 degrees here tomorrow. So, thinking about Alaska in August has a nice ring to it.

Thank you for the review. Sounds like an overall good time. I am disappointed to read about the deviation from the expected inside passage. Was is truly the Captain's decision? Who was the Captain? Think we would reconsider if we had not already booked our airfare.

The aft vibration in the original "R" ships has been a point of discussion on other posts through the years. We have sailed on two others and that was present on both of those. We didn't notice it much forward of the aft elevators. Still we love the size and the atmosphere of the ships.

Any items in the dining room not to miss? We haven't sailed Princess recently and don't know what's on the menu these days. As for specialty restaurants, I think the location has something to do with the quality of the food/service. We've tried them on Azamara and Oceania. One side was great the other not up to that standard. On each ship it was the same side that was lacking. May be something that is going on physically behind the scenes.

It supposed to 90 degrees here tomorrow. So, thinking about Alaska in August has a nice ring to it.

I don't know for sure if this Captain gets to choose or if it is Princess Policy to save a few $$. Just what the crew person said. And that person seemed to be telling it as they saw it. As far as the specialty restaurants, the food and service was fine. I just dont see $50 per couple more value than we were already getting in the MDR. Steaks were good. Bleu Cheese Onion Soup was great. in the MDR I really enjoyed a smoked duck appetizer. Should have ordered two! We did not have a bad meal on board. Most unheard of.:eek: As far as the vibration, yes, I had heard that about R Ships before. Must be no fix or someone else would have done it. Don't really mind vibration if we are making speed. I remember QE2 in the glory days of 5 day Transatlantic Crossings when she would have bursts of 30+ knots. In the Double Down Bar (later the Yacht Club Bar) you literally could not put your drink down on the bar as the contents of the glass would vibrate straight up and out of the glass! Later changes to engines and propellers largely rectified this but it was a hoot at the time.

I don't know for sure if this Captain gets to choose or if it is Princess Policy to save a few $$. Just what the crew person said. And that person seemed to be telling it as they saw it. As far as the specialty restaurants, the food and service was fine. I just dont see $50 per couple more value than we were already getting in the MDR. Steaks were good. Bleu Cheese Onion Soup was great. in the MDR I really enjoyed a smoked duck appetizer. Should have ordered two! We did not have a bad meal on board. Most unheard of.:eek: As far as the vibration, yes, I had heard that about R Ships before. Must be no fix or someone else would have done it. Don't really mind vibration if we are making speed. I remember QE2 in the glory days of 5 day Transatlantic Crossings when she would have bursts of 30+ knots. In the Double Down Bar (later the Yacht Club Bar) you literally could not put your drink down on the bar as the contents of the glass would vibrate straight up and out of the glass! Later changes to engines and propellers largely rectified this but it was a hoot at the time.

Double Down Bar sounds like trouble! The Celebrity Century main dining room has terrible vibration but it's still beautiful.

Sounds like you have sailed the 7 seas.

Double Down Bar sounds like trouble! The Celebrity Century main dining room has terrible vibration but it's still beautiful.

Sounds like you have sailed the 7 seas.

Actually the Double Down was my favorite. As the old saying goes: You don't have to be crazy to live here, but it helps. :eek: And still a sea or two left to see.:D

I really enjoyed following along with you. And I'm delighted you enjoyed the Pacific so much. I had the best time on her; I just loved everything about her -- even the worn cushions in the Pacific Lounge (actually, I confess that the decor up there was my least fave on any Princess ship -- totally doesn't match the elegance of the rest of this beautiful little girl, does it?!).

Thinking about Alaska next summer on her and your insights about the joys of being the only ship in port have definitely convinced me that the first of the season cruises are a good choice.

We spent 32 days on Pacific Princess April 1 to May 3 just before the dry dock. We too loved the ship and the crew. In our opinion everyone was exceptional. We really liked how the dancers Becky, Naomi and Helene were so involved in all of the other ships activities as well. We had 200+ US citizens in the Hawaii to Vancouver leg of our trip and 300+ Canadian Citizens.

Who was the CD? Stu McGunigall left for South Africa and the Ocean Princess when we got to Vancouver and I didn't think to ask who was replacing him after the dry dock.

That was our first small ship and won't be our last because we are now booked to go give Stu a hard time for not taking us with him to South Africa. We board the Ocean Princess at Dover June 6.

I enjoyed your reports from Pacific Princess and wished we were still on her.

Terry

Edited by AE_Collector

We spent 32 days on Pacific Princess April 1 to May 3 just before the dry dock. We too loved the ship and the crew. In our opinion everyone was exceptional. We really liked how the dancers Becky, Naomi and Helene were so involved in all of the other ships activities as well. We had 200+ US citizens in the Hawaii to Vancouver leg of our trip and 300+ Canadian Citizens.

Who was the CD? Stu McGunigall left for South Africa and the Ocean Princess when we got to Vancouver and I didn't think to ask who was replacing him after the dry dock.

That was our first small ship and won't be our last because we are now booked to go give Stu a hard time for not taking us with him to South Africa. We board the Ocean Princess at Dover June 6.

I enjoyed your reports from Pacific Princess and wished we were still on her.

Terry

Thanks for the kind words. Wish we were still aboard her as well.:D

We are sailing the Pacific Princess in August.

When will you be on? I didn't notice you on any of the roll calls which all seem to be rather empty. :confused:

We are sailing August 12.

Thanks for the reports Jim!

Thanks for posting. The Pacific Princess is one of the ships we're considering for August.

We loved her. Really a pretty ship and well run this cruise. Back at the gym today trying to pare down some of the fun I had in the Dining Room.:eek::D

Jim,

Thank you so very much for your post. We too are looking forward to hearing about the Pacific Princess. We sailed on her 5 years ago and was disappointed with the ship. However, we decided not to give up on her and Princess if there was a dry dock coming up, and we could get stateroom 8002. Now we're booked for next year! Hopefully Princess will redeem herself with us because the line has outstanding itineraries across the world and we don't want to cross her off our list. Things are looking bright on the horizon for us already. Enjoy and inhale your Alaskan adventure...we're be reading.

• 2 weeks later...