Is Carnival Falling Behind?

stevenr597

Sounds like fun ship 2.0

Its much more than fleet enhancements. Its everything from upgraded entertainment that will be ship and itinerary specific as well as new destinations. NCL has signed an exclusive agreement with Tortola; is the only mainstream brand to visit Banana Coast, Honduras this year; will revamp Great Stirrup Cay which just went through a multi million dollar upgrade; and finally bring on a new private island in Belize. I may be wrong, but the NCL iConcierge App that been available on the new ships and will now be rolled out fleet wide as part of this program isn't available on any other cruise line that Im aware of. I like the fact I can book dinner, shore excursions, and check my statement from my phone anywhere on the ship at no cost/not having to buy wifi minutes.

Edited by Hendricks Clan

Yes a few years ago NCL rolled out "Freestyle 2.0." Norwegian NEXT is the new program.

While this is good for Norwegian, It is no where near as groundbreaking as Funship 2.0. FunShip 2.0 introduced groundbreaking technology with Playlist Productions and endorsements from Guy Fieri in the most popular venue at sea, Guy's Burger Joint.

While this is good for Norwegian, It is no where near as groundbreaking as Funship 2.0. FunShip 2.0 introduced groundbreaking technology with Playlist Productions and endorsements from Guy Fieri in the most popular venue at sea, Guy's Burger Joint.

Playlist replaced real production shows. Cutback

Guys chop meat replaced Elsie chop meat. It's the toppings that were the additions. Regardless, the most popular venue at sea? That's quite laughable.

I think we would have a clearer picture of how successful that model is had it not been for the Concordia and Triumph issues....

Really? How about the 37 +years before those incidents? Carnival has always followed the same business model and has consistently gone after the same target market. The last couple of years have no bearing on that model and its success. Had the model been tested recently? No doubt but it still has relevancy.

Edited by cjknox

Thought this was interesting when I saw it today considering what we have all been discussing in this thread. NCL introduced Norwegian NEXT today, shows just how serious NCL is when it comes to competing and trying to surpass its peers in terms of the entire guest experience. http://www.ncl.com/nclweb/pressroom/pressRelease.html?storyCode=PR_052014

Sounds great can't wait to try it one day; but it comes as no surprise because most lines today are in the process of the revitalization of certain members of their fleets.

Playlist replaced real production shows. Cutback

Guys chop meat replaced Elsie chop meat. It's the toppings that were the additions. Regardless, the most popular venue at sea? That's quite laughable.

Have you experienced either one of these?

Cruising is having to do nothing, but having plenty to do if you choose.

Cruising is a relaxing time with a beautiful view passing by just outside.

Cruising is a gentle roll and back and forth motion.

Cruising is fine food, drink, and delicious dessert.

Cruising is a comfortable room / cabin with a steward that picks up after you.

Cruising is pleasant background music soothing away thoughts of anything else.

Cruising is seeing places and doing things you don't ordinarily get to see or do.

Cruising is the feeling of being at sea.

We experienced these things on our first cruise twenty five years ago and we have experienced the same things on each cruise since. We are not looking for a new restaurant to try, a new wall to climb, a new car to smash into another car, or a cherry picker view of our ship. We'll be content to have a nice sized balcony and a lounge chair or three to sit in on our balcony.

Our experiences would be the same on Royal Caribbean, Norwegian, Princess, or other similar cruise lines. Carnival provides the one ingredient that no other cruise line can provide; proven familiarity. We know what to expect and are comfortable with what we receive. In our case Carnival cannot possibly fall behind because all we expect will always be there.

The main reason we have not sailed the largest 'greatest' ships is the same reason we tend to avoid ship excursions; we avoid the herds. Herds of people all being directed to or away from something simply to get them thru the experience....without experiencing it. Bigger is better in regards to many things in life, but in our choice of cruise ships, we want a size that will afford us the feeling of being at sea and not being herded thru.

Well said Paul.

Its much more than fleet enhancements. Its everything from upgraded entertainment that will be ship and itinerary specific as well as new destinations. NCL has signed an exclusive agreement with Tortola; is the only mainstream brand to visit Banana Coast, Honduras this year; will revamp Great Stirrup Cay which just went through a multi million dollar upgrade; and finally bring on a new private island in Belize. I may be wrong, but the NCL iConcierge App that been available on the new ships and will now be rolled out fleet wide as part of this program isn't available on any other cruise line that Im aware of. I like the fact I can book dinner, shore excursions, and check my statement from my phone anywhere on the ship at no cost/not having to buy wifi minutes.

I had heard about Tortola late last year. I was very disappointed when I had heard they had signed an exclusivity deal with NCL. Having cruised there on the Breeze a year ago, I was very impressed with an island that I thought had huge potential to benefit their visitors and the island. Locking all your fish in a barrel is a dangerous game for the island. If that trend continues it will drastically change cruising in the Caribbean as we know it and not for the better. It's a shame and I would say that if it were Carnival that did it as well.

Playlist productions are what most younger cruisers like. Most of us under the age of 40 like them. They have even won awards. There is a great review currently being written here on the carnival boards you hater should check out. It is from a guy who only sails the newest ships of the differnt lines. This is his first cruise on carnival and cruised on the carnival breeze. He stated the breeze is the only ship that he is considering a second cruise on. That is even after cruising such "innovative" ships such as the Breakaway, Allure of the seas, Disney dream, a celeberity ship and another NCL ship. To hear you all you would have us believe that the only reason people cruise on carnival is because of price. Heaven forbid it may be that any if us actually like carnival's product. I am not ashamed to say that the breeze is an innovative ship. Carnival really went out side their zone on this ship. With new decor and 2.0 venues. They tought outside of the box on sunshine also. I know the people on this thread will criticize this, but to each their own. Getting back to playlist productions. The review i mentioned the reviewr said that the playlist productions have been the only production show he has ever liked aboard a cruise ship. Again even after sailing those " innovated" ships.

I had heard about Tortola late last year. I was very disappointed when I had heard they had signed an exclusivity deal with NCL. Having cruised there on the Breeze a year ago, I was very impressed with an island that I thought had huge potential to benefit their visitors and the island. Locking all your fish in a barrel is a dangerous game for the island. If that trend continues it will drastically change cruising in the Caribbean as we know it and not for the better. It's a shame and I would say that if it were Carnival that did it as well.

The thing is if carnival would do it. You have 10 differnt brands that could visit. Kind of like Grand Turk.

There is a great review currently being written here on the carnival boards you hater should check out.

If I might make a suggestion....perhaps it's time you took a break from this thread. You're taking this stuff way too personal.

Edited by Aquahound

Playlist productions are what most younger cruisers like. Most of us under the age of 40 like them. They have even won awards. There is a great review currently being written here on the carnival boards you hater should check out. It is from a guy who only sails the newest ships of the differnt lines. This is his first cruise on carnival and cruised on the carnival breeze. He stated the breeze is the only ship that he is considering a second cruise on. That is even after cruising such "innovative" ships such as the Breakaway, Allure of the seas, Disney dream, a celeberity ship and another NCL ship. To hear you all you would have us believe that the only reason people cruise on carnival is because of price. Heaven forbid it may be that any if us actually like carnival's product. I am not ashamed to say that the breeze is an innovative ship. Carnival really went out side their zone on this ship. With new decor and 2.0 venues. They tought outside of the box on sunshine also. I know the people on this thread will criticize this, but to each their own. Getting back to playlist productions. The review i mentioned the reviewr said that the playlist productions have been the only production show he has ever liked aboard a cruise ship. Again even after sailing those " innovated" ships.

Thank you for putting this out there. I am also reading Gambee's review and I find it interesting (not surprising though) at the high marks he is giving the Breeze across a number of different categories, especially in relation to NCL and RCL's best ships. No matter what anyone says, the Breeze is an innovative ship and this is the direction that Carnival will be continuing in, and also with the Vista. Most of the people that don't like the "new" carnival, are the people who haven't tried it unfortunately...

I also find it interesting how people who say they will never cruise Carnival again come here and frequent the Carnival boards. It just doesn't make sense to me. I will be trying NCL next month just because of dates, but my heart and my money but most importantly my FAMILY will remain with Carnival, the Carnival FAMILY. :)

That would be lovely. MSC Divina sailing from Miami has been leaving people jaw dropped with their production shows. NCL and RCI both have wonderful shows and entertainment. The competition is not letting up on the gas. Let's see if Carnival is ready to spend the $$$ and bring the entertainment back.

Just off of Divina and the shows are incredible!!! Here is a sample of the Michael Jackson Starwalker show to give you an idea what the shows are like.

If I might make a suggestion....perhaps it's time you took a break from this thread. You're taking this stuff way too personal.

Really?? Lolol so it is okay to say carnival sucks? If you point out that people actually enjoy carnival's product that is wrong? Poor thing.

Edited by kybluecruiser

Really?? Lolol so it is okay to say carnival sucks? If you point out that people actually enjoy carnival's product that is wrong? Poor thing.

Carnival is an inanimate object. But taking opinions against it so personal, like you are, is just bizarre.

I guess this sort of loyalty has just always been a mystery to me. :rolleyes:

Carnival is an inanimate object. But taking opinions against it so personal, like you are, is just bizarre.

How am i taking them personal? Just offering a counter argument. Are you willing to say the same to those posting negative comments about carnival in this thread? It seems you are taking it personal. All i can say is bless your heart.

Nope. Personally, I don't give a crap if anyone speaks negatively about Carnival or any of the 5 lines I've sailed. It just doesn't bother me. If that means my heart needs blessed, then bless away. I just hate to see others get so upset in defense of a freakn company. Like I said, it just escapes me sometimes.

I welcome the discussion, but if you can't respond without ending with one of those snide remarks, then nevermind I'll move on and leave it alone.

Nope. Personally, I don't give a crap if anyone speaks negatively about Carnival or any of the 5 lines I've sailed. It just doesn't bother me. If that means my heart needs blessed, then bless away. I just hate to see others get so upset in defense of a freakn company. Like I said, it just escapes me sometimes.

I welcome the discussion, but if you can't respond without ending with one of those snide remarks, then nevermind I'll move on and leave it alone.

Lol glad you can move on then......

I agree. Sharing an opinion is one thing but as seen in this thread, name calling and the mine is better then yours back in forth is crazy. Why people get so worked up over the fact that someone hates their favorite cruise line is beyond me. If someone is happy with their choice, who cares what random strangers think about it.

Just off of Divina and the shows are incredible!!! Here is a sample of the Michael Jackson Starwalker show to give you an idea what the shows are like.

Mikesa1721,

Nice show!

I can see why there are so many Divina sailings in your future. :) The ship certainly appears to be a viable alternative to the behemoths of Royal / Norwegian mall line.

Mikesa1721,

Nice show!

I can see why there are so many Divina sailings in your future. :) The ship certainly appears to be a viable alternative to the behemoths of Royal / Norwegian mall line.

We sailed Carnival and had a great time on the ship, and we decided to give MSC a try. MSC seems to be a nice fit for us right now. I think it's not a matter of wether Carnival is falling behind or being innovative, I think it's more of what cruise line fits you personally. Of course you could put me on the Bimini Express right now and I'd be perfectly happy just to be out on the open water.

Here's another link to the same show that I took this past weekend. Please don't mind my drunk cousin though. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DyIsC3PDok0&feature=youtu.be

Edited by Mikesa1721